Sign in to follow this  
lebaron92

New football league

Recommended Posts

There's the problem with college sports. Unqualified athletes for a college curriculum should be tracked to minor leagues which do not exist for football or basketball. That's just one reason that hockey and baseball are my favorite sports . Sorry Plainville, but those two "college" sports are a joke and a shame for American colleges. Illiterates do not belong on college campuses posing as students. Hartford would support a team in a solid minor league football league if one existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get rid of college sports and force athletes to enter a minor league system you will just end up with thousands of unemployed athletes without an degree. It's not like every single college team is **ll of **ture pro's... If you put them on a team where they aren't getting an education or interacting with people their age and they don't make it than they are just another statistic, unemployed or working minimum wage, is that what you want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a good rebuttal PV. That's the pt PV.More than 50% don't graduate and had no intention of doing so. Didn't Jimmy get in trouble with that? Maybe baseball and hockey requires more refining of skills thus a complicated minor league system. Players rarely make it to MLB or NHL from colleges. Of course you know that very few players in the NHL are drafted from Canadian colleges. If kids want pro hockey the go to the junior program where it's all about hockey. As for Moe and Curly, Play nice in the recess yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> Not a good rebuttal PV. That's the pt PV.More than 50% don't graduate and

> had no intention of doing so. Didn't Jimmy get in trouble with that? Maybe

> baseball and hockey requires more refining of skills thus a complicated

> minor league system. Players rarely make it to MLB or NHL from colleges. Of

> course you know that very few players in the NHL are drafted from Canadian

> colleges. If kids want pro hockey the go to the junior program where it's

> all about hockey. As for Moe and Curly, Play nice in the recess yard.

You're cherry picking your facts again. You can't eliminate just 2 collage sports because you don't like them. SOME athletes get special treatment in any sport,not just football and basketball. The dropout rate is high these days amongst all students, not just football and basketball players. The money that football and basketball players bring into these collages is WAY MORE than what they get back. Nice try Mr. Cat , once again you make no sense and bring us facts that you made up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> Not a good rebuttal PV. That's the pt PV.More than 50% don't graduate and

> had no intention of doing so. Didn't Jimmy get in trouble with that? Maybe

> baseball and hockey requires more refining of skills thus a complicated

> minor league system. Players rarely make it to MLB or NHL from colleges. Of

> course you know that very few players in the NHL are drafted from Canadian

> colleges. If kids want pro hockey the go to the junior program where it's

> all about hockey. As for Moe and Curly, Play nice in the recess yard.

 

As of the 2011-12 season 31% of players in the NHL had played NCAA hockey (Canadian College hockey is a joke). Not to mention 20 of the 25 players on the U.S. Olympic team. Not sure this would be considered "rare" but in your world......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> Not a good rebuttal PV. That's the pt PV.More than 50% don't graduate and

> had no intention of doing so. Didn't Jimmy get in trouble with that? Maybe

> baseball and hockey requires more refining of skills thus a complicated

> minor league system. Players rarely make it to MLB or NHL from colleges. Of

> course you know that very few players in the NHL are drafted from Canadian

> colleges. If kids want pro hockey the go to the junior program where it's

> all about hockey. As for Moe and Curly, Play nice in the recess yard.

 

You do realize that student athletes have a higher graduation rate than normal students right? The grad rate has actually been hovering around 80% for the past few years. There are kids in lower level D1 and D2,3 that have no intention to go pro they are going to school for a degree and are playing for love of the game you can't just go off of what you see on ESPN. Perhaps you should take in a Harvard,Yale game and than tell me college athletics should be eliminated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Br***** Bonanza wrote:

> Thank goodness.

>

> Now...the USFL is coming back and I have been told they are taking Hartford

> seriously.

Is the usfl league you're speaking of different than the league in the link in the 1st post? If anyone knows please refresh my memory as to why the colonials folded before the rest of the league closed up shop? Was it over high rent? I forget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will5059 wrote:

> Mr. Br***** Bonanza wrote:

> > Thank goodness.

> >

> > Now...the USFL is coming back and I have been told they are taking Hartford

> > seriously.

> Is the usfl league you're speaking of different than the league in the link in the

> 1st post? If anyone knows please refresh my memory as to why the colonials folded

> before the rest of the league closed up shop? Was it over high rent? I forget.

 

At the time that the Colonials folded they were paying the highest rent in the league.

Sound familiar?

 

I can't remember if it was AEG or Bushnell but rent is a killer either way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nehkyfan, How many college hockey players play in the NHL the yr. that they are drafted? None that I can remember. As far as college sports bringing in large sums to colleges, you're correct. Why can't legit students do the same thing. What I said was basketball players in college who can not handle the curriculum shouldn't be in that institution. That would provide a large group athletes for pro minor leagues. These kids would be able to have an income and the schools would still be able to make money. Between holding up UConn as a sacred cow and your resentment toward this cat, as the Eagles say in their song "Get Over IT".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> nehkyfan, How many college hockey players play in the NHL the yr. that they

> are drafted? None that I can remember.

 

TC:

 

You didn't put a time frame in your comment. Also, and we had this discussion last spring, since players are drafted at 18 it is extremely rare for a player to be drafted out of college. Chris Higgins of Yale was a first round pick by your beloved Habs following his freshmen year about 10 years or so ago which was due to the fact his DOB made him ineligible for the previous year's draft. In about 98% of the cases players are drafted then play college hockey with the drafting team retaining their rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will5059 wrote:

> Is the usfl league you're speaking of different than the league in the link in the

> 1st post?

 

Yes. Their website is at www.theusfl.com and they also have a Facebook page where they actually talk to people, not like those fools at the UFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Br***** Bonanza wrote:

> will5059 wrote:

> > Is the usfl league you're speaking of different than the league in the link in

> the

> > 1st post?

>

> Yes. Their website is at www.theusfl.com and they also have a Facebook page where

> they actually talk to people, not like those fools at the UFL.

Cool. That would be great. I feel that spring football could work if it was marketed right. It seemed to me from the outside that the UFL was kind of thrown together quickly. As major league soccer has proven over the past 20 years if the owners have the money and stick together a new league can thrive if the normal pitfalls that occur in the first decade a anticipated and a startigy is in place to overcome them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right again. I did put in a time frame, but during an edit "The First year" was deleted. So name a kid who played in the NHL the year he was drafted. Naming one or two players won't weaken my point. By the way, Princeton and Stanford make my pt. Also don't cherry pick on just one pt. and not address the main idea of someone's post. It makes you sound like one of those politicians who put party first and country last. In the case of Willie and Jersey it's all about attacking the cat not about hockey in Hartford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> You're right again. I did put in a time frame, but during an edit "The

> First year" was deleted. So name a kid who played in the NHL the year

> he was drafted. Naming one or two players won't weaken my point. By the

> way, Princeton and Stanford make my pt. Also don't cherry pick on just one

> pt. and not address the main idea of someone's post. It makes you sound

> like one of those politicians who put party first and country last. In the

> case of Willie and Jersey it's all about attacking the cat not about hockey

> in Hartford.

This is one of your stupider rants . Who cares if the player plays in the nhl the year he's drafted or not? Plenty of players who get drafted out of juniors spend some time in the AHL. Way to go bringing up politicians AGAIN. I can't wait to hear what nonsense you spew out next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

top cat wrote:

> Are you two jerks joined at the hip, or just in love?

I get a kick out of the bleeding heart liberal who is also a homophobe. What a phony. Yeah mr. Cat, me and jersey both called you out for making nonsense rants, so therefor we MUST BE GAY FOR EACH OTHER. I see your logic there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this