Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

"We know we need the building to be 'NHL-ready'....."

"We know we need the building to be 'NHL-ready' but what does that mean?" Freimuth said. "If you put in bunker suites, party rooms with seating at the front edge, you start losing seats. But you increase revenue and they are very popular with corporate underwriters."

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jacobs-column-0505-20140504,0,6236120.column? :mrgreen:

Oz Griebel the President of the Metro Hartford Alliance told us on Whaler Nation TV that the CRDA had three years to study and come up with a plan for a new arena or renovate the XL totally.

Friemuth head of CRDA said they will be ready by the end of this year.

Thats very good news because if there is one thing that is certain it's that this state loves to drag its feet and take its sweet time.

Whats the Rush all of the sudden? Very interesting indeed.

Evo, regarding that ad you posted earlier regarding that 'HYPE' (Hartford Young Professionals & Entrepreneurs) meeting at the Old State House next Monday featuring that gentleman from Global Spectrum...

It was almost impossible not to notice the entire ad was in prominent Whalers green & blue :)

Still say something is going on on the down low.

The fact that they've been in contact with the NHL while deciding the how to approach a new arena says a lot!

If you guys are correct it will be the best kept secret since The Manhattan Project. I don't believe it as there is absolutely reason to. For awhile you guys got me to wondering. So you all think Hartford stands a better chance than Seattle and Quebec? Sorry I just can't see it. Seattle will solidify the whole west coast as one big rivalry, like the NE. Quebec for all the obvious reasons.

The NHL is clearly sick of waiting for the NBA to come back to Seattle so I think that has been put on hold and with most NBA teams stable I don't see it happening anytime soon. As for QC yeah they should have a team but the TV contract with NBC paired with an unpredictable Canadian dollar in a tiny TV market makes them far from a slam dunk. Build an arena in Hartford and deal with the NHL after, **** we need a new one anyway.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote:

> Evo, regarding that ad you posted earlier regarding that 'HYPE' (Hartford

> Young Professionals & Entrepreneurs) meeting at the Old State House

> next Monday featuring that gentleman from Global Spectrum...

>

> It was almost impossible not to notice the entire ad was in prominent

> Whalers green & blue :)

I admit I noticed as well. Not that it means anything but thinking it could have meant something i talked to Hype and Green and Blue are their orgs colors. I say good enough. :)

"We know from conversations with the NHL the building today does not meet the standards," Freimuth said. "We know UConn is not happy with the building."

There were half a dozen possible sites for a new arena in an HOK study in 2006. Freimuth pointed to the two most logical. The first is on the north side of I-84. The second covers the Church Street garage stretching toward I-84. As with some stadiums and arenas that are built adjacent to existing ones, part of it could get built without shutting down the XL Center, and then after it was torn down, you could complete the new building. Freimuth also discussed a possibility where you could stretch the current building over to Church Street while keeping the foundation of the current bowl.

"We know we need the building to be 'NHL-ready' but what does that mean?" Freimuth said. "If you put in bunker suites, party rooms with seating at the front edge, you start losing seats. But you increase revenue and they are very popular with corporate underwriters."

This is from that article about the Xl, pretty much puts proof in the governors talking about investors.. Seems like no one os lying except people that dknt beleive..

It's **nny how certain naysayers said they wanted to see nhl talk appear in print and from someone other than the governer and here it is and it's still not good enough. The cat is at least half way out of the bag at this point. Once it apears multiple times on television and in a major paper that the state is at least setting themselves up to be in a position to attract an nhl team it ceases to being a rumor and becomes a fact. It is a fact that the state is laying the groundwork for the NHL. Whether or not they are success**l remains to be seen but they are trying.

"As a way to create revenue, the city is currently considering the sale of the parking garage on Church Street and, depending on what a potential new owner wanted to do with the property, could complicate matters for what could be done with the XL Center. Folks, we need to get on the same page." No one seems to be on the same page in Hartford. You have the governor saying we can get the NHL. You have the CRDA saying that they're studying if building a 12-14,000 seat arena would make sense. Then you have the CRDA and MetroHartford Alliance talking about just redoing the XL Center again. "Our goal right now is to answer the first big question: Is there a **ture for the existing building (XL Center)?" Freimuth said. "Is there any remote possibility of investing in this beast and making it work? Get that matrix laid out, because that question is never going to go away." They still think the XL Center is a viable option.

Then they talk about the possibility of a new arena. "Can we build a modern building into the existing core? If so, what will it cost us, what will it give us and what are we leaving on the table? If the conclusion is we can do this for $150-200 million, OK, let's go for it. We would go and try to sell it next year. Argue the pros and cons and get the public discussion engaged. Or if maybe it's not a $200 million exercise, it's a $400 million exercise. Then one of two things is ahead of us: Tear it down and go dark for a couple of years or find a new location. Those questions are much harder." They are talking about $200 million for a 12,000 seat arena and $400 million for a 14,000 seat arena. $400 million would indicate a 16-18,000 seat arena. Just look at Detroit as an example. They are building a new 20,000 seat arena at the cost of $450 million. I just don't know where these groups are getting their numbers. Also, I wonder what they mean by "going dark for a couple of years"?

Biggie don't be stupid your whole life, you know what they are saying. The governor amd now your freind freimuth are speaking the same language.. Amd they even have you a couple examples where that are thinking of doing this.. There is the reality of somethkng going on, amd it's not for the wolfpack.. Bye bye

Jersey, what's a dknt? We can continue this if you like. Note everyone. No schoolyard wiilie or jersey language from the ***** cat.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Biggie don't be stupid your whole life, you know what they are saying. The governor

> amd now your freind freimuth are speaking the same language.. Amd they even have

> you a couple examples where that are thinking of doing this.. There is the reality

> of somethkng going on, amd it's not for the wolfpack.. Bye bye

But, they're not "speaking the same language". The NHL wound never move into a building that only had 14,000 seat arena, let alone 10,000 or 12,000. The other thing we don't even know is if 14,000 seats is the seats for hockey or not. I know there's something going on, but what. Hartford, Seattle, Quebec City, Toronto (Markham), Hamilton, Las Vegas, Kansas City, and Portland, Ore are talking with the NHL, but the NHL only seems to be talking about Quebec, Seattle, and Vegas. Why aren't they talking about Hartford if it's such a sure thing like you think it is? Also, stop saying "bye bye" because I'm not going anywhere. I'll keep going to games in Hartford, no matter what, unlike you.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Wow biggie, read the article a couple times.. But than again you know what you are

> so bye bye.. Stop lying and at least be true to yourself..everyone on this board

> clearly sees

I read it, did you? Freimuth said "NHL ready" but isn't saying anything about a NHL size arena. You can't have a NHL ready arena that isn't big enough to hold a NHL game.

It is inconceivable that Connecticut would spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a brand new arena with a 14,000 seat capacity when all they'd need to satisfy the NHL is one with 16,000 seats.

To put it into perspective, there is a 100% greater chance you'd hear a Hartford-area Ranger fan actually make a pro-Hartford comment before ever seeing that.

The 14,000 seats shows how Hartford and the state will never get it. So please someone tell me why you think the city is in strong contention for a franchise. I don't see it happening unless the 14,000 is some kind of smoke screen so the tax payers don't start putting teabag hats on and march to the state capitol. What a **mbling political bunch in the state capitol. And I thought the US House of Representatives was incompetent.

Biggie1083 wrote:

> I read it, did you? Freimuth said "NHL ready" but isn't saying anything

> about a NHL size arena. You can't have a NHL ready arena that isn't big enough to

> hold a NHL game.

"NHL ready" implies it can host an NHL team. They're not going to build an arena with less than 15k seats because believe it or not they want events to come to Hartford. They're starting to realize that all AHL games are good for is attracting girl scouts who don't exactly spend big bucks.

Thanks plainville, and biggie, he clearly states they want to be nhl ready liar.. Your being your usual self here. This article clearly and I say clearly shows Hartford and Connecticut want to be nhl ready.. You are an arse, it's really clear as day.. I'll be there when the NHL comes home.. Stupid