Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

"We know we need the building to be 'NHL-ready'....."

This is exactly why UConn and the NHL are tied together in Hartford. I'm obviously a huge UConn fan but am also a realist and if the Huskies stay in the AAC they will not make the revenue to keep up with the powers in football and basketball. Also being a huge supporter of the NHL in Hartford I am optimistic because I believe the desperation of the UConn AD to get into a P5 conference and rake in the revenue will lead to a new arena in Hartford. We all know the state is in love with UConn and right now that is a great thing if they want to cater to their every need because what they need is a brand new building, just like we need to land an NHL team.

top cat wrote:

> For those of us on the same page supporting a new facility, Does anyone

> think a seating capacity under 17,000 for hockey is smart or prudent? Like

> my Dad used to say "If you're going to do it, do it right or don't do

> it at all." Just keep in mind the match box facility on campus that

> was an obvious mistake as was the Civic Center for a myriad of reasons.

My guess would be that for Hartford's market having an arena with tons of corporate boxes/suites that the whiny insurance companies will actually buy and **lly support on a consistent basis with 15000 seats is much better than an arena with 17000 seats with the sort of lackluster corporate neglect, for lack of a better word, that plagued the Whalers from 1992 on.

I think nowadays it's more the type of revenues the seats can generate moreso than the actual number of them.

The new Giants Stadium is twice as big size-wise as the stadium it replaced, but actually has fewer seats.

Exactly. Big corporate moguls aren't there for the fan experience (at least most aren't). They are there to entertain clients and wag their rich penises all over the place. They want luxury suites and private boxes. They aren't concerned with rinkside seats. If the new building comes in around 15k with tons of corporate amenities, they'll more than make ends meet. Hartford is the insurance capital of the world. Stamford is a huge hub of media and networks. Fairfield County is bliss**lly well to do. These are the investors in luxury boxes and suites that will keep a team thriving here. The rest of the fan base will support the arena seats. It can work. It WILL work. It starts with UCONN and ends with the NHL. Let's do this!

Bad comparison using the NYG. That's the NHL first of all. The Gaints have a very very long rich history Their Revenue is huge TV contracts and team paraphernalia sales. I think that if Ins. and other corporations buy blocks of NHL tickets and many of those seats remain empty then lights out. I'm very skeptical about the whole idea. I've said this before CT sports fans are like children. They expect immediate success after all NY and Boston usually have a competitive team in some sport every yr.

top cat wrote: "Bad comparison using the NYG. That's the NHL first of all."

The point was only that Giants Stadium is twice as big yet was built with fewer seats.

Owners have recognized that they can make much more money by improving the quality of the seats (& game experience) over the quantity of them.

They're starting to realize that both now & going forward they need to up their game (so to speak) to compete with what fans can now have in the comfort of their own home; to give fans a reason to come out & watch their games with regularity now that they really no longer have to.

Many more people now have high definition widescreen TV's with stereo quality sound. To go with that of course are their own chairs, food, free parking & perfect weather. They also now can buy NHL Center Ice, ect. & watch multiple games &, with DVR, at any time they want.

have you seen ticket prices lately? corporations have got to be the only ones paying **ll face value. MSG has great corporate sales for both the knicks and rangers. That is one reason they make money hand over fist ,win or lose. They sell the building and the amenities, not the team. (The other being that the own the nations largest tv market) Its a new era and selling high end seats to big companies is how you run an arena. They'll make of us normals via tv ad revenue because we'll be watching the games at home on HDTV.