Sign in to follow this  
Monizzle145

Finally went to the new XL....not really impressed

Whaleofatime wrote:

> It's not the same footprint if they demolish the Church Street garage. Poor

> TC is afflicted with selective reading syndrome.

No, it's not the same exact footprint, but I think what TC was trying to say is that in order to build/re-build the XL Center would have to go "Dark" for a number of years.

Whalers4Ever wrote:

> Whaleofatime wrote:

> > It's not the same footprint if they demolish the Church Street garage. Poor

> > TC is afflicted with selective reading syndrome.

>

> No, it's not the same exact footprint, but I think what TC was trying to say is that

> in order to build/re-build the XL Center would have to go "Dark" for a

> number of years.

They can build arenas nowadays in less than 30 months. Having the XL Center go dark for 2 operational years would be worth it. Once UConn Hockey moves to Storrs after the 17-18 season move all UConn basketball games to Gampel for those 2 years, don't re-up on the AHL and get to building. Opening slated for Oct. 2020. The increased livable base of residents in Hartford the next 5 years should help stem some of the losses for the businesses surrounding the XL Center during that time. And if/when the NHL returns everybody is happy.

p4277 wrote:

> I get it, the bathrooms and walkways are too small. Is that really worth $400

> million? As far as the sinks and towel dispensers not working, I can't help but

> think that should have been addressed as part of the $35 million renovation. If

> these people can't spend $35 million responsibly, do we really want them spending

> $400 million?

>

You obviously don't get it. The restrooms and concourses were 2 examples of how the XL center lags behind the other buildings in the region but not the main downfalls I noted. The lack of premium seating and retail opportunities inside the building are more important, but being able to buy a beer , hot dog and take a piss inside of 20 minutes isn't to much to ask either. If you're happy with the XL and current tenants that's fine. I just think out state can do better. Rust belt cities in bankruptcy pull off stadium projects. We can to.

Another HUGE problem, but not as glaring would be that the lower bowl only seats about 6,200 while the upper bowl seats 8,200. Ideally you'd want those figures reversed. This is a problem only rectifiable with a new building.

will5059 wrote:

If you're happy with the XL and current tenants

> that's fine. I just think out state can do better. Rust belt cities in bankruptcy

> pull off stadium projects. We can to.

Yes these are all valid issues, and as far as the current tenants are concerned, no I'm not happy with them. And that's really the main point, isn't it? As much as we all hate to admit it, the main tenant is the Hartford WolfPack. Does anyone think we should build a new arena for a team that most people hate? They usually get between 2,000 and 3,000 people in a 15,000+ arena. If you can't get a beer and a dog quickly in that poor excuse for a crowd, then yes, there is something wrong.

Whaleofatime wrote:

> Another HUGE problem, but not as glaring would be that the lower bowl only seats

> about 6,200 while the upper bowl seats 8,200. Ideally you'd want those figures reversed.

> This is a problem only rectifiable with a new building.

Yes, ideally you'd want that. And all the other items that have been mentioned. Remember, this building was built for 10,000 seats originally. Seating capacity was increased by 50% after the roof collapse. A lot of compromises had to be made to get to the NHL-mandated minimum. So yes, in an ideal world it would be a better building without all the flaws everyone mentioned. But this is not an ideal world. New arenas cost a boatload of money that we don't have. There has to be a really good reason to do it, and the relatively minor flaws don't seem to be enough to justify it. What would? An NHL team. When we get a commitment for a team, then let's start building. Until then, the XL is probably one of the best arenas in the AHL.

If anybody wants to laugh Biggie just tried to use an attendance figure from a Wolf Pack game in 2010 and p***** it off as the Whale's attendance. LMAO he just admitted by accident that his WP hold the record for lowest attended game in Hartford Hockey history and he spent so much time looking it up :lol::lol::lol:

p4277 wrote:"Does anyone think we should build a new arena for a team that most people hate? They usually get between 2,000 and 3,000 people in a 15,000+ arena."

No, I doubt anyone does. However in 'Field of Dreams', there's a reason why the ghost told Kevin Costner "If you build it, they will come", & not "If they come, will you build it?" :)

The point is, if we keep the XL, all we're ever going to have is an AHL arena that draws few. And as time goes by we'll see even more events byp***** the XL for greener pastures.

Sometimes you need to be proactive. It's clear you're in the camp of not wasting tax dollars on uncertainties, & that's great. But the fact is billions of tax dollars are wasted on ridiculous things; why can't Hartford use some to build what should be a huge catalyst for economic growth, local employee retention & civic pride?

States far poorer than Connecticut have arenas & stadiums on every other street corner; but hold on if the capital of Connecticut wants to build one lousy arena every 40 years. It's time to build it.

Edited by Guest

Lol I love how whenever he realizes we are right he just blurts out random stuff about the Whalers not coming back. I wonder if it's a coincidence the Habs haven't won anything since that ballbag hopped aboard the bandwagon?

P4277 I am saying the building should be built for an NHL tenant. It would have to be done with an agreement in place obviously. Another key point is whether or not your a fan of basketball we do have both national champions playing in an out dated building. It's pretty embarr*****ing and I don't even follow basketball. I was at the wolf pack opener this year and the building doesn't even serve 7000 people well. We can do better. We deserve better. If everywhere else in the country can do it than why not us?

No, what you're saying is right out of you little red wagon of BS. Jersey is starting to appear brighter than wee willie. Now that's bad news for willie. We all love you get your S-----H-----I----t checked out Maybe there is a drug for your anger and now you inability to understand simple text.

The thing is for concerts/Uconn sports alone a new arena is worth it. Like will was saying its beyond my personal riffs with bathrooms premium seating is big business and a new arena could grant that for shows and Uconn sports downtown. Those boxes at the Comcast Theatre on Savitt way are gold and corporations throw big money at those and raffle them off to employees/give them away from performance. Which by the way untill the Whalers comeback the biggest draw to Hartford is the summer concerts at the Comcast Theatre.

That's the thing pro NHL coming back aside the biggest thing that could boost Hartford again in the winter/spring is getting their concerts/tournaments back. The only thing keeping Mohegan afloat is that they have all those concerts, and exhibition and neutral site games between NCAA and NBA etc etc. Those event could be in Hartford if at least a plan was started now for a new arena. I guess well see about the recent purchase of the garage but i don't think you guys see how big a revenue maker live concerts are right now. Granted again i have work in the industry so i see it on a weekly basis but still live shows for music/comedy/theatre is big money right now. People won't purchase a CD legally but will pay thousands just to be in the same room with an artist/comedian they love.

Howlings has an article out today in witch would clear up lots of debates here.. Work is being done as we speak and a plan will be set forth as ealry as December but no later than February.. It's not a pipe dream and it will all come together, the powers that be know it has to.. And take notice where he says there is Interest for the NHL..

Bingo monizzle145. My thoughts exactly. The Springs center in KC is a profitable arena on their concert business. It's done all across the country. It can be done here.

Whalers4Ever wrote:

> I thought that the "Howlings" was nothing more than a Wolf Pack,

> pro Rangers piece of propaganda

The article never says that the wolf pack won't be part of a new, or improved, xl center. It basically says that a direction will be more clear come the new year.

will5059 wrote:

> Bingo monizzle145. My thoughts exactly. The Springs center in KC is a

> profitable arena on their concert business. It's done all across the

> country. It can be done here.

Yup your right its being done across the country. Like you just noted the Sprint center in KC is booming off concert only revenue and also picked up the Big 12 Mens Basketball Tourney. Same with Tulsa with the BOK. Jacksonville has an arena picking up shows like Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews this summer in spring and summer.

Like I've said before it's not only being done but being done in rust belt cities that have seen better days. People on this board talk about Hartford's current situation like it's soviet Russia or something. I don't get it.

We now have another well rounded, informed, cordial, intelligent activated member for this esteemed board. He goes by cmbeers. He apparently has not been keeping up to date as to chatter for some time. He was quite polite in telling me to go F---#---&----@ myself. To address that glib remark, "If I could I'd never leave the house" so on that note I'll continue servicing your female friends and family. How do you like dem apples? As for my college hockey team go back and review posts on that subject. Welcome back can't wait for more of your profound posts.

At the least now we know that some in the state govt. are finally pushing for a new arena. Getting the public on board will be hard work however. We live in a state where people complain about about everything but over time they move on to complain about something else. They should propose the new arena let the complainers complain than quickly propose something else to distract them.

PlainvilleWhale wrote:

> At the least now we know that some in the state govt. are finally pushing

> for a new arena. Getting the public on board will be hard work however. We

> live in a state where people complain about about everything but over time

> they move on to complain about something else. They should propose the new

> arena let the complainers complain than quickly propose something else to

> distract them.

It's a tough sell no doubt due to the fact many things get shot down and they are already threw away money for a failed busway, a new ballpark that will somewhat help but is useless in the winter and have already spent money on the outdated XL to do plastic surgery for a building. That was one of the main reasons i wasn't for the new ballpark. It doesn't solve the issue of hartford being empty in the winter months.

Hartford is fine for the summer when there are outdoor events that get people downtown and honestly music artists love Hartford's Comcast theatre due to its large lawn and rowdy atmosphere. But Hartford needs more winter events downtown and they can take them back from Mohegan with a new arena.

we studied sprint center in sports management cl***** i took at um***** during summer session and the profit sprint center makes is what is called operational profit. operational profit dont count cost of building sprint center in first place. sprint center cost $276 million to build and city of kansas city paid $212 million of that. kansas city financed that with taxes on hotel rooms and car rentals. when we studied sprint center last summer taxes had brought $9 million or $10 million a year since sprint center opened. aeg manage sprint center and take 16 per cent of any profit right off top. then city of kansas city takes its share of operational profit which when we studied building last summer was average of about $1.8 million a year. but then city of kansas city pays $13 million a year in debt service for bonds it used to pay $212 million share it put into building sprint center. so even if city of kansas city is taking in almost $12 mill a year in taxes on hotels and rental cars and operational profit it is still paying out $13 mill in debt service. plus city of kansas city is still paying $2 mill a year in debt service on kemper arena that hasnt been booking much events since sprint center opened. so city of kansas city is not booming off of sprint center they way people think. that cl***** taught me arenas arnt money makers for citys that people think they are. thats why governor and connecticut politicians have to make good deal with partners for new arena in hartford.