Sign in to follow this  
Monizzle145

Finally went to the new XL....not really impressed

WhalerChad wrote:" i dont think a new arena by itself will keep the city of hartford afloat. i dont think a new arena will create enough high pay **ll time jobs in the arena and i dont think a new arena will convince other businesses to create enough high pay **ll time jobs in neighborhood the new arena is in to keep city of hartford afloat. most of jobs both in and around arena that are result of new arena are going to be part time server jobs like ushers and concession workers and waiters and waitresses and bartenders. that is good but that is not going to keep city of hartford afloat. i think new arena can be part of plan to make hartford more livable place. but what is needed to keep city of hartford afloat is **ll time high paying jobs and those are not coming from arena and restaurants."

I see. And what types of things do you think are going to halt the m*****ive exodus of young professional workers out of Hartford for greener pastures? Another Quiznos, perhaps?

WhalerChad wrote:"but what is needed to keep city of hartford afloat is **ll time high paying jobs and those are not coming from arena and restaurants. i think state and city would see way bigger number of **ll time high paying jobs by taking all money that would have to be payed to build new arena without help from Nhl owner and put that money into program to lure companies to downtown."

Really? All right. Well, there's no NHL team here now & there hasn't been since 1997. So why hasn't the state put that money "into program (sic) to lure companies to downtown" over the past two decades?

What have they been waiting for? Why hasn't the $ that hasn't gone into a new arena been used to create multitudes of high paying jobs in Hartford as you've suggested as a solution?

What types of programs do you think would be effective in accomplishing the goal of creating a plethora of **ll-time high paying jobs in Hartford?

Edited by Guest

HYMH: "Out of curiosity, what would be the draw for people to move into expensive city apartments in a city that has few entertainment options & no grocery stores, when they can live in cheaper apartments ten minutes away in suburbs that do?"

p4277 wrote:"Well, that's the problem, isn't it? People don't want to live there because it's expensive and there are no stores or things to do. And no one wants to open a store where there are no people. But when you have a population living there, businesses will come and provide jobs as well as possible entertainment options."

I'd like to thank you for making my rebuttal point for me ^. You've saved me from having to write it.

Hartfordyouremyhome wrote: Really? Okay. Well, there's no NHL team here now & there hasn't been

> since 1997. So why hasn't the state put that money "into program (sic)

> to lure companies to downtown"?

>

> What have they been waiting for? Why hasn't the $ that hasn't gone into a

> new arena been used to create multitudes of high paying jobs in Hartford as

> you've suggested as a solution?

you would have to ask politicians in charge why they havent tried doing that. seems they dont have vision or courage or ambition to try anything either arena or job creation related.

so i answered your questions how about you answer the ones i asked you. which sweet heart deals i listed would you support state of connecticut and city of hartford giving to Nhl owner? all of them or some of them or none of them and if only some of them which ones? you think new arena is what is needed more than any thing else right now to keep hartford afloat. i am guessing you think new arena with Nhl team playing in it along with Uconn teams and concerts would be best. so what would you be willing to have state and city give Nhl owner to get a Nhl team to move in to new hartford arena? how many sweet heart deals?

Edited by Guest

You suburbanites make me laugh. Plainville insists that the XL is a delapitated 40 yr. old building and what's more he and you other supporters think that with a no deal on a team you upper middle cl***** A&% Holes think that the city and state should build a new facility on the Hartford residents dime most of whom don't give a %$#& about hockey. The XL is just fine no, more than just fine for minor league and college sports. Hartford My *****, if Hartford does get a real big time team Don't name it Hartford anything. must have Connecticut up front. some tax $ is necessary how much I have no idea, I'd offer the franchise owners concession $ for sure even a % during other events. As of this Thanksgiving eve there is no reason thus support for a new arena.

"I'd like to thank you for making my rebuttal point for me ^. You've saved me from having to write it."

Maybe you missed the last part. It has to start somewhere. Stores and businesses will come when there are people to support them. You seem to be making a case for the suburbs. That's OK by me, I live in a suburban city and I like it. Maybe we should build a new arena in the suburbs to avoid the h*****les of going to downtown Hartford.

p4277 wrote:"Maybe you missed the last part. It has to start somewhere. Stores and businesses will come when there are people to support them. You seem to be making a case for the suburbs. That's OK by me, I live in a suburban city and I like it. Maybe we should build a new arena in the suburbs to avoid the h*****les of going to downtown Hartford."

You're right. It does have to start somewhere. As you've said, stores & businesses will indeed come when there are people there to support them. Now that we agree on that, the question is what will bring those people there?

The naysayers always reject an arena but never offer up any other legitimate suggestions that might bring patrons in, while keeping professionals from moving out of state. If they built an arena in the suburbs that'd be great; it'd be more convenient for me & many others. But the arena should be in Hartford. A strong Hartford is a good thing for everyone in Greater Hartford.

Again, the cost of a new arena has been p####d away many times over, over the years, & I don't hear anyone constantly mourning those wasted tax $'s on message boards. And the next time some ridiculous expenditure like an absurd busline comes to fruition, neither you nor I are going to have any say in the matter; no one will care what we think.

We might as well get something beneficial for Hartford with some of those wasted tax $'s.

Like I said have **n paying to upkeep a delapitated building that is LOSING events. You do realize we have to address the XL right?? Unless you want a money drain there are 2 options the state is currently pondering. 1. New arena 2. Major renovation of XL. New arena will cost about 400 mil and opens Hartford up to Frozen Fours, Conference Tounrey's, NCAA regionals, political conventions, boosts UConn's P5 resume (Que. TopCat babble.) A renovation will cost 100-200 mil and will keep the current events until it is deemed obsolete 15 years later (See Key Arena). I didn't even mention the NHL because this isn't about that, it's about a state protecting an *****et that for years has been the only source of foot traffic in the city. Perhaps a private developer will see these infrastructure improvements and decide to build housing units. No developer is going to touch a city that lets it's *****ets rot away. Unless of course you want public dollars going into these housing units but I doubt you want that.

Also notice how a developer hopped on board when they anounced the baseball stadium? Now they're building a brewery, parkland, shops and a grocery store. Who's to say that won't happen with a new arena? The state isn't going to go into this blind.

Park land, Shops, Grocery stores??? Not only are you no architect you have no history of Hartford past endeavors of what your you are suggesting. IT DIDN"T WORK THEN AND WON"T WORK NOW. By the way what's up with you Quebec reference?? sounding more like will. Go back to pasting photos of UConn basketball in your photo album or scape book. How about basketball hoops on every corner Hoop It Up every day. Now That would induce me to move back to my native town. Plainville, don't quit your day jab that is if you do have a job as you're no urban planner.

I'm not mocking any anybody bro. Just pointing out reality. When it stops snowing you and Plainville can hoop it with a little one on one. My $ is on the kid from Plainville. Might be a good way to work off some of that turkey.

I finally saw the renovations myself on $7 Thursday. ($6 too much for the Wolfpack BTW)

Yeah. Why does it still look like a work in progress? The concourse looks great. The flooring and colors actually make it look wider than it was/is. However, I wondered where the murals were in each corner vestibule that is supposed to convey a theme? WHY are the ugly blue doors still:

A: painted blue when the new color is the sand/light brown for the walls around it and the accent color is red?

B: Attached at all? In every modern NHL arena I've been in, the entrances from the concourse are either wide open or have a retractable curtain. Why are those s*h*i*t*t*y doors still up?!?!?

The bar on the end is awesome and that is the best part of the whole thing. The new scoreboard and sound system is a big improvement as well. If I were grading I'd give the re-fit a B, and that is mostly for that lounge on the end. That is the most non-Hartford thing Hartford has ever done.

They ran out of money. Rumor has it Global had to pony up millions more just to finish things to their current condition. There's no money to finish from what I've heard through the grapevine.

Whalers4Ever wrote:

> They ran out of money. Rumor has it Global had to pony up millions more

> just to finish things to their current condition. There's no money to

> finish from what I've heard through the grapevine.

We were told after Halloween thale doors would be gone, they might still be there because of issues with the fire alarm system. The doors were still their for that reason but we are way past the date they were thinking of removing them. I see what I can find out.