Sign in to follow this  
PlainvilleWhale

Dismal Hartford AHL attendance concerns state officials

Can't wait to hear packfan1998s reaction to this. Or he is just not going to say anything cause he can't accept the fact that the wolfpack are a dying brand.

It makes me laugh that they act like they don't know what the issue might be. Sure you can get kids and group outings to attend anything, they don't care what or who's on the ice when they come to a game and that's clearly were Global seems to be focusing their efforts. But for the CRDA (and Freimuth in general) to act like they/he don't understand what the reason is for the poor attendance is frankly, insulting and somewhat worrisome. My concern is now that they will say it's AHL hockey that's the issue, that Hartford can't support it, when will all know it's Ranger affiliated hockey that we won't support. They are just to gutless I guess to admit their mistake. Either way it's going to be **n to see how this all plays out but the answer is simple and the example (UConn) is right in front of them. Give the Hockey fans of Hartford a team they can get behind and support and they will come.

I found Freimuth's claim that he doesn't know why attendance is suffering mind-boggling as well, but on the other hand he may just have to be diplomatic here. The Wolf Pack is still currently the main tenant, the head of CDRA probably can't go to the press and say "RANGERS **** BRING BACK THE WHALE" while in a business relationship with the Rangers. I don't think it's possible given the endless debate that has gone on for years around this issue that the CDRA is truly unaware of what's going on. The CDRA after all were the ones who the governor ordered to intervene when the banners were removed.

It's all very con**sing, freimuth has said many times that "we have to be NHL ready". I guess like mboh said he really isn't in any position to say other than he did.. We have proven time after time, supporting the whale, uconn, or simply watching NHL and putting us in the top 5 in TV ratings.. The report and plans are on the way, by the end of the month we should have a clear direction of what is going on.

I wish this would have happened 3 or 4 years ago in college. This current attendance drop of the pack would have been an awesome case study project to one of my marketing or public relations cl*****es. I could have easily written 5 pages or more about the branding fiasco of the team and the disrespect for the market. And included the statistics of Uconn hockey as well.

medium_ball_of_hate wrote:

> I found Freimuth's claim that he doesn't know why attendance is suffering

> mind-boggling as well, but on the other hand he may just have to be

> diplomatic here. The Wolf Pack is still currently the main tenant, the head

> of CDRA probably can't go to the press and say "RANGERS **** BRING

> BACK THE WHALE" while in a business relationship with the Rangers. I

> don't think it's possible given the endless debate that has gone on for

> years around this issue that the CDRA is truly unaware of what's going on.

> The CDRA after all were the ones who the governor ordered to intervene when

> the banners were removed.

I been thinking about this and you know really the govenor has been distancing hinself from the rangers(wolfpack) for some time now.. The past 2 times on face the state not a single mention of them.

Whalerdude11086 wrote:

> Whalevolution wrote:

> > I think they know exactly why, but you let everyone else say why.

> >

> > Anyone who pays attention to Hockey in Hartford knows why attendance

> > continues to drop.

>

> Now the question is....do our elected officials know and are they going to do

> anything about it? Hartford hockey can't stay dull and depressing forever. We need

> change.

oh yea, T minus three weeks and counting would be my best guess

At this point, with the rise of UConn hockey in Hartford, maybe it would be better to land an ECHL level team as a supplement when the Wolf Pack leave. There are already several "unaffiliated" teams at this level. There are less player call up's do to the fact there are less players under NHL contracts. So teams and players don't move around as much so the teams would (for the most part) be the same players for at least a few seasons (get to know the players). Not to mention perhaps signing undrafted former UConn players to fill out the rosters, like the Colonials did with Andre Dixon that year. That and a green and blue team would be a winner I think. So much better than we have now

Whalerdude11086 wrote:

> Now the question is....do our elected officials know and are they going to do

> anything about it? Hartford hockey can't stay dull and depressing forever. We need

> change.

What could our elected officials do? They could build a new arena, but that's no guarantee that a new team would come. Spending $400 million or so and not getting an NHL team would be a huge waste of money. An ECHL team would be a step down from what is there now. With some AHL teams moving west, it may not be easy to replace the WolfPack with another AHL team. There are limits to what politicians can do, an owner has to want to have a team here. It's one thing to say you need change, but what changes are possible? And changes would you find acceptable?

Well if we build an arena I would say that hartford would be a top candidate for relocation.. If anyone dosnt see hartford as a top 3 city to get a team with an arena plan or deal in place, you are just in denial, they will go hand and hand, arena and NHL..that's really the bottom line, or else why build at all.

p4277 wrote:"Spending $400 million or so and not getting an NHL team would be a huge waste of money."

It's clear that you have a significant aversion to building a new arena with tax dollars in an place not near you. (even though countless millions more are wasted on projects that wouldn't do nearly as much for greater Hartford.) So here are a few legitimate questions-no sarcasm; just like to hear your opinion.

The XL is. It's probably ok to *****ume that that upcoming report will indicate a new arena is needed. And even if it doesn't, that time will occur sooner rather than later.

The ?'s are: would you prefer that when that time comes there simply be no arena in Hartford at all? Nothing of equivalent size between MSG & TD Garden? Nothing in the state except for a couple of small venues almost as far as away from the capital as they can possibly be (& still be in CT) in Uncasville & Bridgeport?

Should Hartford forfeit its likely best opportunity in ages at a legitimate Renaissance, & instead sit dormant while fading away into a greater obscurity than it already just to save what is the tax equivalent of pocket change?

The days of pro teams & top flight NCAA programs playing in ancient Boston Garden-type arenas for 3/4's of a century are over. If we don't invest in ourselves there's no reason for anyone else to.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Well if we build an arena I would say that hartford would be a top

> candidate for relocation..

We? You are down in New Jersey, you are not building any arena.

However, you are half correct, there is a new arena being built - in a place called STORRS. Since you have no knowledge of Connecticut, that is close to an hour away from Hartford. Biggie has pointed this out numerous times over the past few years, the new arena is going in STORRS.

Hartford is for WolfPack Hockey, that is the brand of hockey which the people want.

Also, we are not bringing back the brand which FAILED TWICE in Hartford, the green/blue brand is not returning, it only lasted about two years the last time it came back. The younger generation (Biggie1083, PackFan1998, KG - Karmanos is God), the team they grew up with is the WolfPack, they recognize Sonar, and that is the brand we are going to stick with.

So, let's review, since you have problems remembering this stuff from day-to-day:

- New arena is going in STORRS

- UConn Hockey will play in STORRS, where the UConn campus is

- Hartford WolfPack will play in HARTFORD, hence the name Hartford WolfPack

- $ Tens of Millions were just spent upgrading the WolfPack Arena in Hartford

- The upgrades are for the WOLFPACK

- The arena in Storrs is for UCONN

Any questions?

Would it be easier if the pig farmer Joni from Iowa explained this to you teabaggers?

Now Storrs is an hour away from Hartford. Did someone move it into Rhode Island or something? WPF98 worships the ground Biggie walks on, so maybe it was him.

It's kind if sad, in a way, to see the disintegration of what some people call wolf pack nation. Then again, it's kind of **nny.

We now have a new radio station named after our Hartford Whalers. That after a very success**l scratch game was named after the team. Where is the wolf pack scratch game and the radio station named after the wolf pack? Then again, where are those pictures of the Caldor Cup parade that was supposedly won? There are plenty for UConn and the Whalers.

Hartford has one team...UConn.

UConn is Hartford Hockey.

Mr. Br***** Bonanza wrote:

> We now have a new radio station named after our Hartford Whalers.

> Where is the wolf pack scratch game and the radio station named after the wolf pack?

A new radio station? Or do you mean an old radio station playing old cl*****ic rock songs, which just threw in the name of the green/blue team to try and reach out to the old crowd. The young generation (Biggie1083, PackFan5580, KG - Karmanos is God) have no time for Joan Jett, ZZ Top, or the Steve Miller Band.

An old station, made up of two old white guys (Chaz and AJ) playing old music from white guys (ZZ Top, Steve Miller Band, Def Lepperd) to old white guys in Hartford County, living in Nostalgia Land.

The younger generation, Biggie's generation, is listening to streaming music, music on wireless devices, electronically-made music.

As for the green/blue scratch off lotto tickets, that is once again a way to cash in on the Nostalgia crowd, the old timers who sit around gas station parking lots all day scratching off lotto tickets , picking food out of their beards.

99.1 FM New Haven, 102.1 FM Springfield, 105.9 FM Hartford, 102.9 FM Hartford ... the last thing the market needs is another cl*****ic rock station, maybe next - Larry King can wear some green/blue suspenders to get you oldies all excited.

I come here mainly these days just to laugh at you people, I thought the 102.9 name change was just a one-day-only stunt when I heard it yesterday, when I heard it was going to be indefinite, I got a good laugh out of it, naming a failing radio station after a team which failed twice here and playing songs all day long of artists, many of whom have since p*****ed on, it's a giant receipt for disaster - now that I think of it, perhaps calling it the Whale is the most appropriate name. BWAHAHAHAHA

HartfordYouAreMyHome wrote:

> p4277 wrote:"Spending $400 million or so and not getting an NHL team would be a huge

> waste of money."

>

>So here are a few legitimate questions-no sarcasm; just like to hear your opinion.

>

> The ?'s are: would you prefer that when that time comes there simply be no arena

> in Hartford at all? Nothing of equivalent size between MSG & TD Garden? Nothing

> in the state except for a couple of small venues almost as far as away from the

> capital as they can possibly be (& still be in CT) in Uncasville & Bridgeport?

>

Do you think the report would recommend the demolition of the XL Center without a replacement? In spite of what people might believe, you can keep a building **nctional almost indefinitely as long as it is basically sound. True, it would not be the state-of-the-art palace, but Hartford would not be without an arena.

> Should Hartford forfeit its likely best opportunity in ages at a legitimate Renaissance,

> & instead sit dormant while fading away into a greater obscurity than it already

> just to save what is the tax equivalent of pocket change?

A legitimate Renaissance in Hartford depends on a new arena? I think you are expecting a lot out of a building that would just be a new version of what's already there. Without a team, a new arena is a minor improvement for a big price tag. If $400 is pocket change, then let the city build it instead of p*****ing the bill on to the state.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Well if we build an arena I would say that hartford would be a top

> candidate for relocation.

What makes you say that? I haven't heard anyone who matters say anything like that. The state could float the arena idea and see what happens. That would cost nothing and maybe save millions if no NHL teams take us up on the offer.

arena and NHL..that's really the bottom line,

> or else why build at all.

Yes, why indeed?

Well the other part of the equation, P4, would be UConn. A new XLC is necessary if they ever want an invitation to the B1G/ACC (ie. Lousiville). UConn moving into either one of those conferences would bring a considerable amount of additional $ to the region. If UConn was regularly selling out vs. the likes of Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, etc. already at the Rent imagine playing Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan, Clemson, Boston College or Florida State. If that were to happen an expansion of Rentschler Field would be appropriate, the prestige of CT goes up, revenues go up, etc. and that goes for Basketball too, a new arena and better opponents would likely sellout regularly. This new arena has much broader implications than you're seeing.

p4277:"Do you think the report would recommend the demolition of the XL Center without a replacement?"

It's unlikely, but that's what they did in New Haven.

p4277:"In spite of what people might believe, you can keep a building **nctional almost indefinitely as long as it is basically sound. True, it would not be the state-of-the-art palace, but Hartford would not be without an arena."

Yes, that's right. And if they do keep it as is Hartford will never be more than it is right now. To say that the XL would "not be the state-of-the-art palace" a new venue would be is an excessively generous description.

p4277:"A legitimate Renaissance in Hartford depends on a new arena? I think you are expecting a lot out of a building that would just be a new version of what's already there. Without a team, a new arena is a minor improvement for a big price tag. If $400 is pocket change, then let the city build it instead of p*****ing the bill on to the state."

In no way would a new 2015 arena be anything close to "just a new version of what's already there" to an arena built in 1975. While it's on a much smaller scale, how has its new arena helped Quinnipiac's program down there? Now significantly multiply that. $400M isn't pocket change to you & me, no. But by comparison to what the states wastes it's not all that much.

And yes, like a ripple on a pond a new arena would spread a positive impact outward in this area, and it'd be significant. And the fact is, no team is coming here with the just the XL. Sometimes you've got to invest in yourself to move forward. This is one of those times. We built a convention center no one asked for. Let's build something people have asked for.

I agree with whaleofatime when he wrote: "This new arena has much broader implications than you're seeing."

HartfordYouAreMyHome wrote:

> p4277:"Do you think the report would recommend the demolition of the

> XL Center without a replacement?"

>

> It's unlikely, but that's what they did in New Haven.

The situation in New Haven was totally different than Hartford. The Coliseum was built on reclaimed land, it settled unevenly, and was structurally unsound. Add to that there was a new arena 20 minutes away in Bridgeport. Neither of those factors is true in Hartford.

> Yes, that's right. And if they do keep it as is Hartford will never be more

> than it is right now.

My comments were made on the *****umption that a new arena would not guarantee an NHL team. Major league sports teams bring a certain atmosphere to a city. A new arena with a minor league team does not.

>

> In no way would a new 2015 arena be anything close to "just a new

> version of what's already there" to an arena built in 1975. While it's

> on a much smaller scale, how has its new arena helped Quinnipiac's program

> down there? Now significantly multiply that. $400M isn't pocket change to

> you & me, no. But by comparison to what the states wastes it's not all

> that much.

Yes a new arena will have wider concourses, more bathrooms, message boards, better locker rooms, etc. It will be a lot better than the XL. But it's still a hockey rink. How will this arena, by itself, improve the city of Hartford?

Quinnipiac's new arena(s) has definitely helped their teams that play there. But they had no hockey rink, so it was not a replacement. They built two arenas, hockey and basketball, for about $56 million. And it was their money, not taxpayer money. If UConn has a problem with the XL Center, they should build a new one. After all, their basketball programs generate tons of money, right?

Oh YA the other implications Monster Trucks, Tractor pulls, WWF, Country Music concerts, and maybe some old chestnuts arena football and indoor soccer. If there is a new 500 million arena built and no NHL or God forbid NBA, there will be lots of egg on important faces. But not to worry, no new arena. I don't think anyone that stupid would support it or finance it.

top cat wrote:

> Oh YA the other implications Monster Trucks, Tractor pulls, WWF, Country

> Music concerts, and maybe some old chestnuts arena football and indoor

> soccer. If there is a new 500 million arena built and no NHL or God forbid

> NBA, there will be lots of egg on important faces. But not to worry, no new

> arena. I don't think anyone that stupid would support it or finance it.

More like $350M TC. We're not recreating the Sistine Chapel here.

p4277 wrote:

>If UConn has a problem with the XL Center, they should build a new one. After all,

> their basketball programs generate tons of money, right?

Football drives the bus in terms of revenue and always will. UConn basketball doesn't turn a profit. To get the football program into the ACC/B1G UConn needs a new arena in Hartford. After that UConn Football would be making anywhere from $25M-50M a year from it's affiliation and that could in turn ween the university off a majority of the taxpayer $ they receive.

Then you have a basketball program selling out playing high-caliber opponents (turning a profit for the new arena) in either the ACC/B1G, UConn football selling out vs. name brand schools in an expanded stadium (meaning the Rent could actually turn a profit.) and we have the opportunity to lure an NHL team and high-profiled tournaments such as the Frozen Four, Sweet 16, ACC/B1G championships.

You think Louisville regrets building the KFC Yum Center for just Louisville basketball? Heck no they don't.