Sign in to follow this  
PlainvilleWhale

Dismal Hartford AHL attendance concerns state officials

Pretty soon you keep neglecting things like sports and competing infrastructure and you will not be able to stem the steady flow of young professionals out of state. They want to go to state's with actual entertainment. If we plan on being boring forever and think of ourselves so lowly then by all means do nothing.

Whaleofatime wrote:

> Pretty soon you keep neglecting things like sports and competing

> infrastructure and you will not be able to stem the steady flow of young

> professionals out of state. They want to go to state's with actual

> entertainment. If we plan on being boring forever and think of ourselves so

> lowly then by all means do nothing.

This is a whole different issue. Connecticut is one of the leading states for people moving out. And it's not due to the lack of pro sports. CT has a very high cost of living, huge tax burden, and lags other states in creating good paying jobs. And of course, when people are leaving it's tough to convince businesses, including hockey teams, that this would be a good place to set up shop.

So they can use this as a turning point and start building within the state and give people a reason to leave here rather than move out.. Housing is not the only solution.. Everything from education to entertainment go hand in hand..

here is big question that needs to be answered about new hartford arena. where is state of connecticut gonna get the money to build it? connecticut budget director ben barnes said yesterday connecticut state budget deficit went up $121 million for this fiscal year. state of connecticut tax collections on gas are way down cause of oil prices going down and state of connecticut is collecting $10 million less in income tax cause more tax re**nds have been given out than government officials thought. state of connecticut is over spending in medicaid cause federal money being payed to connecticut for medicaid is lower then connecticut state government thought it would be and cause more people in state enrolled to get health care than we thought would happen. connecticut budget director barnes said governor malloy is gonna have to announce more budget cuts soon to meet deficit. and republican senator fasano who leads republicans in connecticut senate says revenue is down in state and savings that were planned havent happened and budget hole is getting bigger and bigger. do we really think malloy is gonna make more cuts to state budget and keep hiring freeze in state government going and then turn right around and say state government is gonna pay to build new $400 million arena in hartford? does any body think politicians in connecticut senate and connecticut house are gonna want to explain to voters in districts they are from about state of connecticut paying to build $400 million arena in hartford when state budget deficit is getting bigger? any body think most voters in connecticut will be okay with state spending $400 million to build new arena in hartford while budget deficit is getting bigger?

Whaleofatime wrote:

> Pretty soon you keep neglecting things like sports and competing

> infrastructure

WHAT ARE YOU BABBLING ON ABOUT ???

Neglecting things like sports ??? Under Governor's Malloy's watch, we have upgraded the Wolf Pack Arena, all new HVAC systems and upgraded restrooms, we have built a new practice facility for UConn Men and Women's Basketball teams, we are building a new UConn Hockey arena in Storrs, we are almost done with the construction of the Rapid Transit Busway, CT-Fastrak, which will bring fans into Hartford (almost to the front doors of the WolfPack arena) every 10 minutes throughout the day. Oh, and did I mention we are building a new baseball arena in DoNo (Downtown North, the spot where the Baldwin-Bots for years were going to build their imaginary hockey rink) so we can have nighttime baseball games under the stars in the big city. We also have a new lacrosse league, names after the popular WolfPack brand, the Black Wolves... so my advice to you Hartford-Haters is simply to sit in the corner and keep quiet, because we are rebuilding Hartford and WolfPack Nation is showing how its done, they thought one punch could keep us down, but we came back and kicked the Hollywood crowd out of here and we got back up and reestablished the WolfPack brand and then Governor Malloy upgraded OUR arena for US and we are ready to bring another Calder Cup back to Hartford.

and if you don't like it, just sit in the corner and listen to your little cl*****ic rock station, think of it as a consolation prize to you Baldwin-Bots

p4277 wrote:

> Whaleofatime wrote:

> > Pretty soon you keep neglecting things like sports and competing

> > infrastructure and you will not be able to stem the steady flow of young

> > professionals out of state. They want to go to state's with actual

> > entertainment. If we plan on being boring forever and think of ourselves so

> > lowly then by all means do nothing.

>

> This is a whole different issue. Connecticut is one of the leading states for people

> moving out. And it's not due to the lack of pro sports. CT has a very high cost of

> living, huge tax burden, and lags other states in creating good paying jobs. And of

> course, when people are leaving it's tough to convince businesses, including hockey

> teams, that this would be a good place to set up shop.

Very little in regards to entertainment definitely plays a large role. Keep in mind though I said young professionals, the most desirable demographic.

where is the state of connecticut gonna get the money to build a new $400 million arena in hartford? yesterday connecticut budget director ben barnes said state budget deficit went up $121 million for this fiscal year. oil prices going down means state of connecticut tax collections on gas are way down. state of connecticut gave out more tax re**nds then it thought it would so state is collecting $10 million less in income tax. state of connecticut is spending more on medicaid then it thought it would cause federal money to reimburs connecticut for medicaid is lower then connecticut government thought it would be. and also cause more people in state enrolled to get health care then was planned. budget director barnes said governor malloy is gonna announce more budget cuts to meet deficit. senator republican leader says revenue is down in state and savings havent happened the way goverment leaders thought they would and budget hole keeps getting bigger. who thinks most connecticut voters will be okay with state spending $400 million to build new hartford arena even though budget deficit is getting bigger? who thinks think malloy is gonna make more cuts in state budget and keep goverment hiring freeze going but then say state government is gonna pay to build new $400 million arena in hartford? are connecticut state senators and reps gonna be okay explaining to voters that state of connecticut is gonna pay $400 million for arena in hartford even when state budget deficit is growing and growing?

i want to believe that good positive report is coming that says hartford is getting a new arena that could be nice enough to get a Nhl team back here but with state budget problems and budget cuts and hiring freeze and state budget deficits i dont know how malloy is gonna get it done. where is money gonna come from? and how hard is maloy gonna fight for a new hartford arena if he has to deal with growing deficit in state of connecticut budget?

Toll and tax the crap out of Western CT. They don't want to be part of CT anyways. At least that would be my plan. You affiliate and align yourself with NY? No problem! We'll just squeeze you dry for the rest of the state that wants to remain CT.

problem with that plan is malloy is from that part of state of connecticut and i dont think he is gonna want to make people angry back in his home area of state. and also if he try to toll and tax crap out of just one part of state of connecticut he is never gonna get govermnent officials from that part of state to support the plan.

WhalerChad wrote:

> problem with that plan is malloy is from that part of state of connecticut

> and i dont think he is gonna want to make people angry back in his home

> area of state. and also if he try to toll and tax crap out of just one part

> of state of connecticut he is never gonna get govermnent officials from

> that part of state to support the plan.

Well that's what I would do in regards to the deficit. Arena would be paid by taxes on car rentals to out of staters, taxing people from out of state staying in hotels, etc. but there is precedence of arenas being **nded without a referendum, Chad.

The entire country is in a defecit, deteoit is in bankruptcy, stadiums and arenas are going up all over the country.. When it is time it will be done, where the money is gonna come from is irrelevant because it will always turn up.. And it won't be solely on the taxpayers backs..

Whaleofatime wrote:

> but there is precedence of arenas being **nded without a referendum, Chad.

yeah i know that. i just worry that malloy will get cold feet about pushing for a arena that would have the bells and the whistles and the extras needed to get a Nhl team back cause he will worry about other politicians and connecticut residents going crazy over spending $400 million while the state of connecticut is having budget deficit troubles. what would be really great is if we could get some really really rich business man who wanted to own a Nhl team in hartford to pay for building a new arena in hartford. like the way the owner of patriots payed to build gillette stadium and owner of bruins payed to build new garden and owner of Sf giants payed to build att park. that would be great if connecticut could have that kind of precedence for a new hartford arena.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> The entire country is in a defecit, deteoit is in bankruptcy, stadiums and

> arenas are going up all over the country.. When it is time it will be done,

> where the money is gonna come from is irrelevant because it will always

> turn up.. And it won't be solely on the taxpayers backs..

yeah detroit was in bankruptcy so maybe it isnt the best thing for state of connecticut to be following detroit lead on how to make business decisions. :lol: also where the money is gonna come from to build a new arena in hartford may be irrelevant to some one who lives in new jersey and does not have to worry about if his taxes are going to go up to pay for it. but for people who live here in connecticut the idea of where the arena money is gonna come from is not irrelevant. how do you know how much of the money for building the new arena will be on the connecticut taxpayers backs? are you consulting on the deal? ;) lets hope not too much of the money is on the back of the people who actually live and work and pay taxes here in connecticut. any way i am on pins and needles waiting for the arena plan announcement. it cant get here soon enough for me.

Chad I respect your decision and what you beleive, it dosnt matter where I live to have an opinion,,

I probably have more family in Connecticut than you do, from Stanford to rocky hill to hartfrod.. I lived in hartford for a few years and am a ejalers fan.. It's just the way it is, if they want to build it they will, they don't look at a defecit or surplus.. That's all I'm saying, and it's happening everywhere..

WhalerChad wrote:

> Whaleofatime wrote:

> > but there is precedence of arenas being **nded without a referendum, Chad.

> yeah i know that. i just worry that malloy will get cold feet about pushing for a

> arena that would have the bells and the whistles and the extras needed to get a Nhl

> team back cause he will worry about other politicians and connecticut residents going

> crazy over spending $400 million while the state of connecticut is having budget

> deficit troubles. what would be really great is if we could get some really really

> rich business man who wanted to own a Nhl team in hartford to pay for building a new

> arena in hartford. like the way the owner of patriots payed to build gillette stadium

> and owner of bruins payed to build new garden and owner of Sf giants payed to build

> att park. that would be great if connecticut could have that kind of precedence for a

> new hartford arena.

If you notice that happens in places where a large profit is turned every year. Hartford is too small of a market to have an owner come here and pay for an arena all by himself. You only see those type of arrangements made in the Boston's, LA's, & NY of the World.

We just spent 600 million for a 10 mile bus lane and nobody seems too upset. I think we're overestimating the potential outrage for a 450-500 million dollar arena that would be utilized by Uconn and the nhl.

Naming rights deal for the arena right off the bat would net the city probably around $2.5-3M a yr alone. 12-15 yr commitment, so that's 35M you can put towards construction. Have an ownership chip in 20% and that's 100M right there.

Have a car wash in the parking lot of 102.9 FM and maybe rake in $ 750 cold cash , maybe hang a billboard sign on the Big-D **n Tower for the local bail bondsman and get a quick $1 grand a year for that, maybe sell off Rockin' Ron's controls for scrap metal, now that you guys control your own big time cl*****ic rock station, the possibilities are endless - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jersey and WIllyBoy are by far my two favorite posters on here, their optimism in the face of repeated failures day after day is simply mind boggling, after 18 years of failure and pipe dreams, they still wake up every day and put on a smile and come here and shovel the BS about what is going to happen next, even though nothing they say ever comes true, but now that they have taken over Big D 103 I see a whole new source of revenue for their daily rituals :lol::lol::lol:

some thing like $400 million of busway cost was payed for by federal grants. federal government isnt gonna pay for 2/3 of cost of building a new hartford arena. also city might get all of money from arena naming rights deal but it might not. that is not definite cause some times owner of team that plays in arena wants at least part of naming rights money and concession money and luxury seating money and other rmoney from other revenue in exchange for paying for part of construction cost. that stuff all still needs to be negotiated. i mean if hartford is too small a market to make it worth while for a team owner to pay for a arena by himself then it is probably such a small market that a team owner is gonna want the state to sweeten deal by giving them cuts of money streams from the arena. i guess we will know more in a couple of weeks. hope**lly it is really good news.

I think most people of the region would agree that the XLC needs a long-term solution since it's a year round facility. People should already know that means at least 100+M, at that point would we really cut corners and cheap out and not spend the extra to give us the opportunity for the greatest dividends? That's what doesn't make sense to me, people would be willing to spend $200-250M and say that's sufficient but not go the extra mile. At that point $250M might as well be $0 unless there's a retrofit-staged plan in place that can continually be expanded on ala MSG on a smaller scale eventually reaching the same as a brand new $350-400M arena.

Whaleofatime wrote:

> I think most people of the region would agree that the XLC needs a

> long-term solution since it's a year round facility. People should already

> know that means at least 100+M, at that point would we really cut corners

> and cheap out and not spend the extra to give us the opportunity for the

> greatest dividends? That's what doesn't make sense to me, people would be

> willing to spend $200-250M and say that's sufficient but not go the extra

> mile. At that point $250M might as well be $0 unless there's a

> retrofit-staged plan in place that can continually be expanded on ala MSG

> on a smaller scale eventually reaching the same as a brand new $350-400M

> arena.

Amen to that, make the dollar count for you not against you..