Sign in to follow this  
Whaleofatime

... RockCats new name?

wow those are horrible! blue frogs? choppers? hedgehogs? honey badgers? hound dogs? praying mantises? river hogs? screech owls? whirly birds? yard goats? and we thought wolfpack was bad. i am betting they go with whirly birds with team mascot being some goofy looking made up bird that has a propeller growing out of top of its head. what a horrible horrible list of names.

Rock Cats is bad. Those are really aw**l. Why don't they just take the name of their parent team? No major league team has a name as bad as those.

They've got to be joking. With all the history this state has, that's the list they've chosen? It's hard to imagine anyone who's from Hartford County would even think of more than even one or two of these things. "Yard Goats"? Come on.

The praying mantis is the Connecticut state insect, but the last thing Hartford needs are hordes of Atheists swarming in to protest the name :lol: Seriously though, this can't be the best they could do.

It's like calling a Hartford sports team a moronic, totally irrelevant nickname along the lines of something like, say, the "Wolf Pack".

Yeh they're out of the box but it's minor league baseball, I don't know what you guys were expecting but they market to families and for the most part little kids. You won't exactly sell loads of "Dark Blues" toddler gear. Outside of Biggie buying minor league merchandise is usually geared towards children.

It's minor league baseball. No need to be so serious. I wear the rock cats hat with the elvis cat on it. I think it's **nny. I'm with Plainville, no kid wants to be a "dark blue". I , personally get a kick out of a name the "Richmond Flying Squirrels" or "Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs". The "Akron Rubber Ducks" is a bit much though, Lol. Put me down for a fresh New Era 59Fifty in size 7 3/8 with a screaming yellow goat on it! Let's go goats!

will5059 wrote:"Let's go goats!"

Wouldn't that be "Let's Go-ats"? :D

By the way, Will. Your Isles just acquired a goaltender who's been putting up around a .950 save percentage lately. Now you've got two backstops who were traded for each other last year trying to lead Long Island to a 5th Stanley Cup.

will5059 wrote:

> It's minor league baseball. No need to be so serious. I wear the rock cats

> hat with the elvis cat on it. I think it's **nny. I'm with Plainville, no

> kid wants to be a "dark blue". I , personally get a kick out of

> a name the "Richmond Flying Squirrels" or "Lehigh Valley

> Iron Pigs". The "Akron Rubber Ducks" is a bit much though,

> Lol. Put me down for a fresh New Era 59Fifty in size 7 3/8 with a screaming

> yellow goat on it! Let's go goats!

Best of all time is Montgomery Biscuits complete with the "hey butter, butter, chant

This must be a joke. The website says the name will not be released until Wednesday. No way on Earth these are the 10 finalists. Each one is ridiculous. We're close enough to April Fool's Day they have to be kidding.

And Biggie doesn't waste an opportunity to make an @ss out of himself.

Whalerdude11086 wrote:

> Mr. Br***** Bonanza wrote:

>

> > And Biggie doesn't waste an opportunity to make an @ss out of himself.

>

> He wants the baseball team to look like the WP/Rangers. Keep dreaming Josh :lol:

Why the Enfield Pizza Hut chef gets so much credibility on this board from some people I will never understand.

None of these names thrill me, but then again I was not so keen on "Rock Cats" when it was first announced either. If these are truly the 10 finalist, I'm leaning Hedgehog only because it flows real nice with Hartford when you same them both together. Much Like Hartford ****ions did back in the day. If we have to go with the cute **zzy creature to appease the kiddies who attend these games and have a mascot to make the kids excited, I say go with the Hedgehog. Now the next question. What to name the Hartford Hedgehog? Harry? Henry? You know if it's the Hartford Hedgehogs, the mascot will have to have an "H" name as well.

Wait .................. How about Homer? Get it? Also no reason we can't have a green Hedgehog (with blue quills)

Mr. Br***** Bonanza wrote:

> I pray the team leaked these on purpose and tomorrow they say, "did

> you REALLY think we would name our team one of these ridiculous

> names?"

>

> Please, please, please.

I've always felt these "Name the Team" contest were just a farce. Used just to raise public interest and get some free press. The owners decided long ago what the new name will be, just like was done for the Wolf Pack and the UFL Hartford Colonials. We all never really had any say. I knew all along it was going to be some kind of critter that they could turn into a **zzy mascot for the kids. Face it, Minor League anything is all about the kids, families and how to draw them into attending.

Well these names are now on the FoxCT website so they must be real. And every one is a abomination which goes hand-in-hand with the whole idea of moving the Cats to Hartford to begin with. Epic. Fail. Awaits.

jimmytheidiotboy wrote:

> Well these names are now on the FoxCT website so they must be real. And

> every one is a abomination which goes hand-in-hand with the whole idea of

> moving the Cats to Hartford to begin with. Epic. Fail. Awaits.

Can't argue with that. Now I'm waiting to see who takes their place in New Britain and what they will be called. Maybe they can retain the Rock Cats Brand since the Eastern League team is abandoning it, New Britain needs to be working on this now, rather than later. Get something lined up to come in.

It's minor league baseball. Nicknames tend to be childish. The current mascot looks like Garfield's cousin who is a elvis impersonator on the weekend. It's not like the Yankees and red sox are changing tigers names to the kitty cats and puppy dogs. I still can't wait to buy my hartford yard goat 59fifty fresh fitted cap. No kid wants to be a "dark blue" or a "colonial".

Whalers4Ever wrote:

> Can't argue with that. Now I'm waiting to see who takes their place in New Britain

> and what they will be called. Maybe they can retain the Rock Cats Brand since the

> Eastern League team is abandoning it, New Britain needs to be working on this now,

> rather than later. Get something lined up to come in.

Hate to say it but I highly doubt any proffesional baseball takes up residence in NB. Hartford would be able to veto any affiliated ball and I don't think New Britain would pay to maintain the stadium for a team with no major league team backing. They're putting almost a million into Beehive right now and just payed big dollars to update the football stadium. I can't see them justifying keeping 3 stadiums open without the security of having affiliated ball.

I've gone to a few $2 beer nights at the ballpark at harbor yard and cheap, flat beer is the only reason to go to Atlantic League games. The quality of play is low......real low. I mean like the ball rarely makes it out of the infield low. You'll see a name you recognize every now and then , Dontrelle Willis pitched for the Bluefish last year, Koby Clemens caught for the Sugarland Skeeters, but it's kinda sad to see all the has been and never were's. With the team playing in Hartford in a new park I doubt there would be much left for New Britain. Sad to say but it's better than them going to Springfield, which I believe was the only other option. I do feel for the guys who live in New Britain who feel like they lost their team but I'm excited for the **ture and they fact that the **ture will remain in CT.