Sign in to follow this  
Whaler 11

Trouble in Glendale?

By terminating the lease, in essence, you're evicting the team. If you're the Coyotes, and the city terminates the lease, why on earth would you go back there?

Mark: you are correct. They are terminating a lease that was negotiated by a prior Council which caused the prior Council to lose an election. The Coyotes could negotiate a new lease. However the new Council will want something much more favorable to the city. Since Barrow and the Council don't appear to be on speaking terms I don't foresee a new lease in AZ.

city of glendale arizona city council voted 5 to 2 to terminate arizona coyotes lease. mayor and a couple others councilors saying that they hope arizona coyotes owners will renegotiate new lease deal that is not just good for the coyotes but good for the coyotes and also good for the city of glendale. we will see how that is going to work out. but i think that now the arizona coyotes and the city of glendale will call their lawyers and the real fight will start. this could probably get real messy.

Edited by Guest

Yup, The lawyers are going to get rich. On the Business of Hockey board, the prevailing opinion is that the Coyotes are headed to Quebec. The question is 'When'? Pretty late to move for next season, but the idea of a lame duck season in Arizona is a nightmare for everyone.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Since Quebec isn't ready, Hartford shoul be too on the list, especially

> with the 250 million. Renovation plan in place to get going..

In what way is Quebec not ready? They have a brand new arena set to open in time for the 2015-16 NHL season. If the opening is delayed, they have the old Colissee available until it's ready. They have an owner with deep pockets to buy the team if needed. That ownership is a major cable company, meaning that they have the media aspect covered. The only problem is moving a team from the west to the east, making the imbalance between the conferences even worse. Of course that issue would be the same with a move to Hartford.

> But they aren't ready to open yet, scheduled to yes, but anything can

> happen..and Hartford makes more sense for the NHL, that's pretty much the

> big one.. Howard said it..

Anything can happen? Like it blows away in a storm? The building is done. As of right now we have a report and some pretty pictures.

> But they aren't ready to open yet, scheduled to yes, but anything can

> happen..and Hartford makes more sense for the NHL, that's pretty much the

> big one.. Howard said it..

Quebec's new arena will be open way before renovations even start on the XL Center. I don't doubt that Howard said that, but his opinion doesn't make it a fact. Not sure what he meant by Hartford making more sense for the NHL. Other than the Canadian dollar value, which can change constantly, I don't see that Hartford has any inherent advantage over Quebec City for an NHL team.

The Phoenix posters are now suggesting that the NBA Suns are trying for a new arena in downtown Phoenix, and if the Coyotes could join up with them, they could end up in a brand new arena in Phoenix. Not sure what the chances are of this happening, seems like a pipe dream, but it would solve one problem that everyone agrees is bad for the Coyotes, the location of the arena. Apparently it's out in the middle of nowhere.

I just don't get what the problem is with Hartford, they are a top choice for the league to relocate.. Some of us can't even acknowledge that, why out Hartford down.. The study was done for a reason, who knows what will happen, maybe it is Phoenix maybe it isn't, but at the end of the day wowwww, some of you guys call yourselves fans.. Hartford has a lot more to offer than Quebec to the NHL..you may not hear Hartfords name much but you never heard no either.. It's coming don't worry..

> I just don't get what the problem is with Hartford, they are a top choice

> for the league to relocate.. Some of us can't even acknowledge that, why

> out Hartford down.. The study was done for a reason, who knows what will

> happen, maybe it is Phoenix maybe it isn't, but at the end of the day

> wowwww, some of you guys call yourselves fans.. Hartford has a lot more to

> offer than Quebec to the NHL..you may not hear Hartfords name much but you

> never heard no either.. It's coming don't worry..

There's a difference between opinion and reality. We aren't in a position to host an NHL team at this moment. Quebec has a known deep pocketed Ownership group, and a brand new arena ready to go. We do not. We are fan's but we also have our eyes open.

> I just don't get what the problem is with Hartford, they are a top choice

> for the league to relocate.. Some of us can't even acknowledge that, why

> out Hartford down.. The study was done for a reason, who knows what will

> happen, maybe it is Phoenix maybe it isn't, but at the end of the day

> wowwww, some of you guys call yourselves fans.. Hartford has a lot more to

> offer than Quebec to the NHL.

I'd like to believe you, but realistically, Hartford is behind a lot of other markets.

The problems with Hartford are well known:

An outdated arena: Yes there is a plan for renovations, but planning isn't the same as doing. I haven't heard a plan to pay for these renovations. Coming on the heels of a huge tax increase and budget fight, getting the money for this project may be a problem.

A highly questionable fan base located between Boston and New York: We can't deny that this is an issue. It was when the Whalers were here, and the past 18 years of minor league Ranger hockey haven't helped. Would a new NHL team sell out the building at real NHL prices?

A population that is over taxed and endures one of the highest costs of living in the country: We are getting a new round of tax increases and companies are threatening to leave the state, taking jobs with them. So how many people will be able to afford NHL tickets? I might be able to go to a few games a season, but season tickets are out of the question for me. Certainly the economic climate is not attracting any new businesses to CT. And remember, NHL teams are businesses. Is this a business friendly state to move to? Hardly.

Lack of a viable deep-pocketed owner: Rumors of unnamed potential owners have remained that, just rumors. Let me know when someone real shows up.

Being a fan doesn't mean I have to believe every rumor that every team with problems will move here. Tell me what advantages Hartford has over Quebec, Vegas, Seattle, or KC?

Quebec is ready, at least it is arena wise, but with the shrinking value of the Canadian dollar, a lack of corporate support other than the owner, and the fact that the last time the NHL was in QC, the players wanted nothing to do with it...I'm still not sure it's going to be their landing spot.

The articles I've read state the Coyotes are going to file an injunction and do all the legal stuff that this decision was going to bring, but I think it is quite safe to say that the team's run in Arizona is almost certainly over. The only questions left are where are they moving and how soon.

The Coyotes already have an owner in Barroway, who's been trying to own an nhl team for a couple years. Quebec , from what I gather, would be owned by the Quebecor Company who spent a ton of loonies on the naming rights to le Centre Vidéotron and the French language nhl broadcast rights. We'll see what happens but I'm not sure Barroway bought in to own a team in Quebec.

PlainvilleWhale wrote:

> Quebec has a known deep pocketed Ownership group, and a

> brand new arena ready to go. We do not.

And there in lies the reason why we are in a stronger position for a relocated Arizona. That Franchise already has an owner from the northeast. They do not need a new owner, what they need is an arena. The owner in QC is the reason the arena was built. He is not about to let a third party set up shop in what essentially his arena.

MarkH2919 wrote:"...but I think it is quite safe to say that the team's run in Arizona is almost certainly over. The only questions left are where are they moving and how

soon."

I agree. And since they're a relocating team as opposed to an expansion one, that gives Hartford an advantage over both Vegas & Seattle. I honestly don't think KC or Milwaukee are contenders regardless.

As we all know it doesn't mean their ticket to Hartford is even close to written, but the good thing is that at least it doesn't rule it out.

Well, here is an interesting development...

A buddy of mine just told me that he heard on WTIC this morning that there is a special session for the legislature to take up bills they missed as well as bonding. That means the commission will need to meet so they will take up all bonding measures before then, and these sessions have to be done by July 1.

I had heard through various sources that the XL renovations would be bonded, but the CRDA wouldn't ask for the bonds until next year. I wonder if the info from last night has caused them to move up their timetable a bit.

Stay tuned...this is starting to get really good...

MarkH2919 wrote:"I had heard through various sources that the XL renovations would be bonded, but the CRDA wouldn't ask for the bonds until next year. I wonder if the info from last night has caused them to move up their timetable a bit."

There are few cities right now that could use some good publicity more than Hartford. Who knows? Maybe that's a factor in potentially moving forward on a try for the NHL.

another rumor going around is barroway who owns arizona coyotes will sell coyotes to group that wants to put Nhl team in las vegas and then barroway would buy penguins from lemieux in pittsburgh and then lemieux would join group that wants Nhl team in quebec. Nhl would get out of bad situation in arizona and barroway would get Nhl team closer to philly where he lives and lemieux would get to sell penguins like he wants to do and quebec group would get big name Nhl great to join really rich business man owner in quebec and owner in vegas would get Nhl team he wants.

WhalerChad wrote:

> another rumor going around is barroway who owns arizona coyotes will sell

> coyotes to group that wants to put Nhl team in las vegas and then barroway

> would buy penguins from lemieux in pittsburgh and then lemieux would join

> group that wants Nhl team in quebec. Nhl would get out of bad situation in

> arizona and barroway would get Nhl team closer to philly where he lives and

> lemieux would get to sell penguins like he wants to do and quebec group

> would get big name Nhl great to join really rich business man owner in

> quebec.

That seems like a lot of high end business transactions that would have to happen in a very s h o r t period of time.

> The probelm is that you guys trash Hartford when all cities listed have

> there problems, but only Hartfords are mentioned and grilled.. When they

> start the renovations what are you gonna say than...

When they start renovations, Quebec and Vegas will have brand new arenas up and running, what's your point?

I'm not trashing Hartford, just pointing out the realities of the situation.

But I'll take the bait:

Seattle has arena problems even worse than Hartford, and plans for a new building have gone nowhere. But the NHL wants to be there badly...

Quebec will have to deal with the Canadian dollar value, as will all Canadian teams. But currency fluctuations are temporary. And the NHL has a **nd set up to compensate the Canadian teams when the looney falls too far. In all other aspects, QC is the best site for a team.

Las Vegas is a done deal. Wealthy owners, a new arena, and the fact that the NHL wants to be there means another team will attempt hockey in the desert. So Vegas will have a team, but is it really a good location? Questionable fan base and a location with more entertainment options than anywhere else means that Vegas could be the next Phoenix.

KC, Portland, Houston, et al., have not shown much interest in the NHL. If that changes, they will be in the mix. Arenas in those cities are better than what Hartford can offer.

I think Hartford is a better market than Las Vegas, Phoenix, Florida, Carolina, and a few others. That doesn't mean it will be an easy road to getting a team.