Sign in to follow this  
kenspidey

Whale Promotions

How does everybody here feel about the promotions the Whale are running which undercuts the value of the ticket? 50% off sales do work, but are they lessening the value of having season tickets???

I Look at it the same way I look at joing the local Country Club. You don't do it becuase it is a sound financial move. You do it for convienience. You do it for the better service. If the only thing you are focused on is pure cost then there is no way to justify season tickets. Even with the season ticket promotions they were running I can not imagine any season ticket holder ever thought buying tickets was a way to save money.

All of these promotions also help to bring people in which helps make my experiance better so I am all for the promotions... even if it means I paid a little more then the guy next to me.

Agreed. Because there is no demand for tickets, the season tickets have been devalued already...so unless you want to sit in the same seat every night, or because you want to walk in 5 minutes before gametime and not have to worry about going and buying a ticket or whatever...then you get season tickets.

As for the $5 thing, I have trumpeted deals like this for a year now...get people into the building any way you possibly can...but not for free.

Ok, but how do you add value so you can sell more season tickets. 800 season tickets doesn't bode well for the long term. I am a **ll season ticket holder wondering whether or not to renew. Why should I?

I agree that putting people in the seats is important game to game, but season tickets is the meat & potatoes.

This bothers me less now that I switched to a 20 game pack instead of season tickets. I go to my 20 games and then take advantage of the deals, for the rest.

$5 tickets is a great sell to get people in the door on a holiday. The question is will it get new people in the door that will come back? We will see.

note: it is not an accomplishment if we get 10k for new years eve(which we should) It will be an accomplishment if attendance thrives in the new year. That is without undercutting the ticket value.

I have a 10 game plan Ken, so I understand how you feel. To answer your question...how do you add value to sell more season tickets, I truly have no idea. They can try to add value to the season tickets...for example...for the $25 seats in the lower bowl, you can sell those as season tickets for say...$15/seat/game ($15 X 38 = $570)...but again, the counter point to that is why would I spend $570 for a season ticket when I can walk up to the ticket window at 6:45 for a 7:00 game and get a ticket for $7, and sit wherever I want because the attendance is so low? You can try closing off the upper deck entirely, but the Pack did that for a while with the curtains and stuff...that didn't fly too well either...

This is one of the problems with having a minor league team playing in an NHL sized (capacity wise) facility. Milwaukee, San Antonio, Chicago, Houston, Charlotte, Hamilton...they all have this same issue, I am sure. Because everybody knows tickets are so plenti**l because of the arena size...there is no real demand for season tickets.

"note: it is not an accomplishment if we get 10k for new years eve(which we should) It will be an accomplishment if attendance thrives in the new year. That is without undercutting the ticket value."

Two things on this one...one, do you really think they "should" get 10K on Sa****ay night? They haven't had a crowd of 9,000 all season, and only one other one over 5,600 (the 7,123 the other night)...now you think they "should" draw 10,000? It is New Year's Eve...it is a night when people are partying and enjoying themselves, and in most places...the last thing on their mind is hockey. As of this morning, per Ticketmaster, they were at just under 3400 gone for Sa****ay night. 10,000 would be a miracle, quite honestly. Let's sshoot for something a bit more realistic...let's say...6,500 for Sa****ay night. I think that would be a solid number.

Two, attendance always thrives once the calendar rolls into January. Starting Sa****ay, the Whale play 10 of their next 12 home games on Friday and Sa****ay nights. This is when the numbers should rise considerably. How high will they go remains to be seen, but it's a pretty safe bet they will go up significantly.

I would be so surprised if there was 10k on Sa****ay afternoon.

Alot of people prefer not to go to this game because traffic for first night makes the small city go crazy.

Some people have told me that they are not going for that reason.

I think 6,500 is attainable but I am not holding my breath on that one either.

1. it's possible, it could go either way. The only reason we could do 10k is the $5 seats and the 5:00 start time. You could easily start at the game and then go to 1st night or a party. The game would end around 7:30.

If the game was at 7 and prices were normal, it could be horrible, so i'd have to say no matter if we make 10k or not. WSE did a good job, preventing a disaster.

2. This market doesn't need to thrive like it does every year starting around this time, it has to thrive a lot more. We have to start building some kind of momentum. It's a good thing this team is in 1st place and not last. What will it take for this market to embrace Hartford hockey again??? What will it take for this market to embrace this team???

The one thing I'm worried about is, with the 5pm start, will the XL Center be ready on time? There is also a UCONN Men's game at Noon. Basketball games usually last 2 and a half to three hours. So, that means, the XL Center staff will only have about a hour to a hour and a half to complete the change over, from court to ice, and to clean up the entire arena to have the doors open at 4pm.

I always like to compare what this team is doing compared against two things. What are the other success**l AHL teams doing that we are not and two what do other sports teams in this area do that we are not.

Arguably the premium AHL team is the Hershey Bears so what are they doing? Well to start with they offer free parking with season tickets and their price is comparable. That is huge. How about a discount on concessions? They offer that too. The Whale has got to do a better job at increasing the value of season tickets or the total will continue to drop.

Ok what about in the area. Look at the Rock Cats. What they have done is amazing? How about the Ct Sun? They offer discounts on concessions up to 25% depending on how long you have been on board and free gifts.

What can the Whale do to get you 10 and 20 game holders to jump and to keep me in play.....and how do they get new people to go without alienating who is left? Those are the questions.

How many 10k or more audiences has this team had in 15 years? I dont know but in 15 years there have been only 6 or 7 that I know of. I just dont think its likely if they were in the Eastern Conference Finals I would say why not but for an afternoon NYE game I will be surprised if its even over 7k.

I'd be absolutely shocked....pleasantly so, but shocked just the same, if there was 10,000 in the XL for Sa****ay night. ****, now that I think about it, even 6500 might be a bit high, but I think that number is at least within reason. Just one person's opinion, of course.

"What will it take for this market to embrace Hartford hockey again??? "

Three letters answer this quite easily. N. H. L.

"What will it take for this market to embrace this team???"

I could give the easy answer and say, get rid of the Rangers affiliate and bring in a team that is completely indifferent to most of the hockey fans around here...but the truth is, I am not 100% sure that would work either. So my best answer to this is...I really don't know.

Biggie -- UConn starts at noon, the game should be over by 2:15 at the latest...they will have the building ready for the 5:00 start.

"What will it take for this market to embrace Hartford hockey again??? "

Yup not what you wanted to hear but clearly more people would buy tickets and sit through a game if it was the NHL and not the AHL.

"What will it take for this market to embrace this team???"

I am ready to start believing that nothing will make this market completely accept the AHL or the Rangers. I dont think getting a new affiliate would make much of a difference. The same problems would be there, the media still wouldnt care, and the players still wouldnt care about playing here, so why would the fans?

I think that it appears the best one can hope for is a 5,500 avg per game and maybe an upswing in attendance if the team gets deep into the playoffs.

kenspidey wrote :

> Arguably the premium AHL team is the Hershey Bears so what are they doing?

> Well to start with they offer free parking with season tickets and their

> price is comparable.

They don't just get free parking ($266), they have the option to buy a space in the prefered parking lot ($260), right in front of the main enterance of the Giant Center.

"Arguably the premium AHL team is the Hershey Bears so what are they doing? Well to start with they offer free parking with season tickets and their price is comparable. That is huge. How about a discount on concessions? They offer that too. The Whale has got to do a better job at increasing the value of season tickets or the total will continue to drop."

The Bears have control of the parking and concessions, so they can do that kind of thing The Whale do not control either. The Bears also play rent free in the arena, since the people that own the arena own the team. The Whale doesn't own the Coliseum, so they have to pay rent, a very large amount, almost certainly the highest rent in the league. Should they get control of the arena come 2013 when Northland's contract runs out, that would change, but until then, those ideas, while definitely good, aren't going to happen.

Even Bridgeport has free parking with season tickets. The truth is, when you attend a game in Hartford there are just too many hands that are waiting for your money. When Howard took over the team he just added another hand. If Howard was the only one receiving the money then things would be a lot different, but when you buy a ticket and hot dog, after parking, your money has already gone to 4 or 5 companies.

In success**l AHL cities there is not much entertainment competition. If you wanna go attend a sporting event in those cities, the AHL team is pretty much the only option.

I really think when WSE took over they thought that Springfield would be gone by now. Which would bring SOME of those fans to our building.

For those that might be going tomorrow night that don't have tickets yet...from this morning's Courant...

Fans wearing a Whale or Rangers jersey Sa****ay night will receive a 50 percent discont on all upper-level seats and lower-level end-zone seats. The offer is only good on the day of the game and available at the Public Power Ticket Office at the XL Center.

Friday, January 27, when the Whale entertain the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (7:00 PM faceoff), 5,000 fans will receive the Whale’s second set of player trading cards, sponsored by Webster Bank. The featured players for this set are newly-named All-Star Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Cam Talbot, Ryan Bourque, Kelsey Tessier, Jordan Owens and, in a historical tribute, former Hartford Wolf Pack star Ryan Callahan, now captain of the parent New York Rangers.

Then the next night, Sa****ay, January 28, when the Springfield Falcons visit the XL Center for a 7:00 game, will feature a giveaway of additional sets of the first group of Whale trading cards. That array included cards of All-Star Mats Zuccarello, Wade Redden, Kris Newbury, Chad Johnson and Carl Hagelin. Also, after the game on January 28, selected Whale players will conduct an autograph session to sign their cards.