Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

Avery waived by Rangers for good

The 31-year-old Avery, who was waived in October during the preseason, has been a scratch for nine straight games. He has three goals in 15 games this season, but averaged only 7 minutes, 1 second in ice time before his most recent exile.

Avery made his season debut Nov. 5 against Montreal after spending a month with the team's AHL affiliate in Hartford, Conn., and being summoned back to the Rangers on re-entry waivers.

Avery is expected to clear waivers, as he did the first time.

Although the Rangers have not made other immediate roster moves, the decision to place Avery on waivers is a good indication that they have other players close to returning. Wojtek Wolski is close after being forced to undergo sports hernia surgery in November and Marc Staal is working on his conditioning in anticipation of his season debut. The 24-year-old defenseman has yet to play a game this season because of post-concussions symptoms stemming from a hit by older brother, Eric, last February.

Avery's demotion comes as no surprise, given his lack of playing time over the last three weeks. Avery and Erik Christensen -- the Rangers skilled-yet-inconsistent center -- have been the odd men out as the Rangers climbed to the top of the Eastern Conference standings.

Avery has had a tumultuous run with the Rangers this season. Given limited opportunities in training camp, he was cut while the team was overseas in Europe during the preseason. Coach John Tortorella never seemed to be a big fan and sent Avery home with a pretty blunt message about his feelings toward the player.

"I don't want to jam up Sean here; I think we have better players than Sean Avery, plain and simple," Tortorella told reporters in Europe.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7404085/new-york-rangers-waive-sean-avery-again

I want to see him play, its cool to get someone that draws media attention the way he does. I dont want to throw him a parade or anything.

I would be surprised if he played for the Whale, would that be what is expected of him now?

It's clear that the Rangers don't want him. He has had the opportunity to impress them in NY so I can't see why he would give us is best if he knows there's no light at the end of the tunnel within the Rangers organization. I see him spending a fair amount of his time in the penalty box giving the opposition good power play opportunities.

I like Sean Avery and the media that surrounds him also. But I would be shocked to if he does report to Hartford. I think he will head over seas.

If he does report and doesn't play with a chip on his shoulder, he should not be booed.

I do not think he has anything against Hartford, it was disappointing trip to Hartford because he wouldn't be playing in the NHL. I'm sure if any of you had to take a job somewhere else at a lower level you would be disappointing too.

"If he does report and doesn't play with a chip on his shoulder, he should not be booed."

Why not? I would expect any player that doesn't play with some p*****ion to be booed. I don't care if he's a prospect, or someone that has been in the NHL for 10 years.

um...dude, when I say don't play with a chip on his shoulder that means he is here and working hard.

There have been plenty of players that have reported to Hartford and not given a hoot. And yes, I agree they deserve every boo they get.

Jeff Herrima, Dave Krappa and Jamie Blundermark to name a few.

This is true, he was there that night...

W2W, there is a difference between a guy "not giving a hoot" and a guy that "plays with a chip on his shoulder". The guy with the chip, usually cares enough to have the chip in the first place.

I think we actually agree on this, we're just wording it differently.

He said the trip from Hartford to NY, is better than the trip from NY to Hartford. Which makes sense if you have been on the NHL as long as he has. I don't see that as a slight to Hartford. I would think any NHL player doesn't really want to be sent to the AHL.