Sign in to follow this  
HYMH

"Islanders Could Leave Barclays Center After 2017-18"

Adds some credibility to the rumors that Ledecky has been engaged with talks to build arenas in Queens and N*****au. The time line could add up if something happens quickly. If the city could ever pull at Willits Points what they did to the area around Barclay's the Islanders could turn into a top 6 or 7 revenue team in the league. All that being said the Barclay's deal was first reported as "bulletproof" and "iron-clad" and then the out clause was after 5 years and now 3 years. Tough to take Islanders arena scuttle without a grain of salt.

will5059 wrote:

> All that being said the Barclay's deal was first reported as "bulletproof" and "iron-clad"

> and then the out clause was after 5 years and now 3 years.

The situation here may very well be that both parties want out of the deal.

I know there is no arena set in stone in the queens burough of NYC. But if tomorrow magically an arena large enough to to hold a **ll hockey rink was constructed in Queens it would really hurt business of the Barclays Center. If a popular act couldn't get MSG they could sell out what would be a larger capacity hockey sized floor arena with more seats and better access to long island consumers (should it be in queens). Nostalgia acts like Billy Joel or any other 70s or 80s music acts would pull more fans in an arena that is located in queens right off the long island parkways/Interstate 87. I think it will be an uphill fight for a hockey team to build another arena in the NYC/long island arena without support from a big nba team (nets won't abandon the barclays). But a slightly larger arena that is new is a huge threat to the barclays financial well being.

Going to about 10 Flyers/Islanders games at the N*****au Coliseium the vibe of the crowds during weeknight games was working men and women going with buddies and or their kids to the Coliseum after a day of work in Manhattan now back on the island for a game and a calming feel of only being 15 minutes from home when the game gets out. any arena proposed in Queens or on Long Island would really make it easier for working cl***** families in queens or long island as far as getting to games easier.

When N*****au reopens in 2017, there will be 4 major indoor sports arenas in the NYC metro area.

MSG, Barclays, N*****au, and Prudential Center.

Why in the world would they want to build another one? It doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't cl*****ify the renovated N*****au as a "major imdoor sports arena". It has neither the seating capacity or luxury seating to generate big league revenue. It will be the home of the NBA D-league NY Nets , circus , ice capades, monster trucks, dirt bike things and some concerts. Keep in mind NYC is over 8.5 million people and each area will have its niche. MSG is as busy as it can be. Barclay's , apparently, wants to focus on concerts and the Nets. Prudential serves Jersey. Of course the city could survive without another building but the Islanders could carry a building in Queens or back in N*****au. Last year's playoffs proved the fans will show up for a competitive team. They would be able to print their own money in Queens. Still a few hurdles though.

Well, the area had 5, but one of them recently closed (Izod Center) because almost all of its tenants/events moved to the new Prudential Center.

The direct competition a new arena in Queens would have is with 3 either new or very recently renovated arenas, and the World's Most Famous Arena, which just finished off a billion dollar facelift of it's own.

a 5th arena in NYC, in my opinion, is 1 too many.

An arena in Queens anchored by the Islanders that is accessible both by train and by car would quickly move up to #2 in the NY metro arena depth chart. It offers the the best of both worlds without the pain of heading to Barclay's. If I could drive down there on a Sa****ay that means I can still work a half day and fly home with little traffic. I'd go to at least one Sa****ay game a month and I live almost 2 hours away. The Islanders, unlike the Devils and Nets , actually have fans that will show up if the team is not a joke. They can carry an arena. Especially in a revitalized Willits point minus the chop shops.

will5059 wrote:

> An arena in Queens anchored by the Islanders that is accessible both by

> train and by car would quickly move up to #2 in the NY metro arena depth

> chart. It offers the the best of both worlds without the pain of heading to

> Barclay's. If I could drive down there on a Sa****ay that means I can still

> work a half day and fly home with little traffic. I'd go to at least one

> Sa****ay game a month and I live almost 2 hours away. The Islanders, unlike

> the Devils and Nets , actually have fans that will show up if the team is

> not a joke. They can carry an arena. Especially in a revitalized Willits

> point minus the chop shops.

What is now the barclays center should have been built in queens with a floor that was large enough for a hockey rink. Brooklyn is in my opinion the toughest borough to get to if you are north of the city in CT like me or you live in Jersey where you have to cut through manhattan or the tunnel. Queens by car is the easiest to get to and it has great public transit service in that region they are looking at.

Only issue is at this point the **nding for another new arena would be hard to come by. The Devils situation is proof of this as far as a hockey team only spearheading a new arena. And i am sure the barclays would be fighting the project hard to make sure politically they could make it fail.