Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

Gov's Commitment to XL leaves potential for Whalers return

Nothing new here. XL needs to be rebuilt, UConn is an important part of the plan, some teams may move in the **ture. Not really much of a commitment on Malloy's part. The commitment I'd like to see is from the NHL or one of it's teams to move here. That would justify the expense of upgrading the XL Center to NHL standards. Unfortunately, that does not seem likely.

The Phoenix Coyotes say they are trying to get a new arena in Arizona, but if they were to move, it would likely be to a western conference city. Portland or Houston are possibilities.

Florida and Carolina are still in bad shape, but there's no indication they are looking to relocate, at least not since Karmanos supposedly visited Quebec City a while ago.

It's not realistic to think that the Islanders would move to Hartford. They are getting paid well to play at Barclay's, and they have a share of a market with 8 million people. While it seems crazy to build another arena in NYC, the population could handle it. An arena built for the Isles would not have the physical limitations for hockey that the basketball-specific Barclay's Arena has.

The NHL will likely add another expansion team, and Hartford will probably not put in a bid. QC will, but it remains to be seen if the league will accept it this time around.

Bottom line is the NHL has p*****ed Hartford by, and it doesn't look good going forward. I remember saying in 1997 that, as distaste**l as it might be, it would be better to give the Whalers what they wanted than to let them go and try to get another team later. I know the state offered more than the team got in North Carolina, and PK was moving the goal posts, but after almost 20 years, I've been proven right. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever get a team in Hartford again.

I know some of it seemed like old news but to be honest all

Of us who follow this closely were not sure if Malloy was ready to give up on NHL dreams.

The answer to that is a resounding: No

If you told me I was going to ask Malloy one question and he would ramble on for four minutes without hesitation.

Reaffirm his commitment to the XL along with reaffirming his interest in bringing back the NHL while also volunteering speculation on potential relocating NHL teams I would have said that's a bloggers wet dream.

I'll put it to you this way.

It's a **** of a lot easier and much safer for a career politician to say: we have a bankrupt city, a much needed I84/I91 rebuild, and a state budget crisis. We don't have any room time or money to talk about the NHL.

But instead he went totally oppo.

And that tells you something. It's along way from dead.

My sole purpose was to go in there and check for a pulse and we found one, very alive and kicking. But still some time away

And the Islanders are not in an ideal situation. They get a fee to play in Brooklyn. All the concessions and tickets go to Barclays. They're economic potential is stunted with a 1.5% increase each year. It's like they have a cost of living adjustment.

They're gone from Brooklyn in16 months, in my book. I would leave too with that arrangement.

Malloy said follow the money. Thats pretty much code for the big investor is still here.

If the Western conference didn't have a team deficit it would look more promising that Hartford would get a team. But given the uneven conferences even with vegas coming and the lack of anything in the ground right now for the XL Hartford is out of the question for getting a team in the next 5 years minimum. It's sad because given the islanders award set up and the failures of Carolina, and pending how good they are Florida there are teams in the east that could use a relocation.

But there still isn't a clear cut owner or potential rich purchaser of a franchise that loves Hartford. And with nothing new being added to the XL transformation (construction wise) that makes things even worse.

I disagree, potentially, however unlikely, a team could be here to play after the new ice sheet is done next summer.

Plenty of teams have played in a building while another is renovated or one is renovated around them. (See Carolina or MSG(same design team as XL too))

As long as the State appropriates money to the XL, Hartford is viable.

Malloy could have said no way, he didn't even come close to that. That tells you it's still in the mix.

Bettman has already said conference alignment is unimportant and also something usually fixed last, right not they have three teams on a line of credit. Money trumps all things and also #followthemoney.

Yes, we need to follow the money. But it doesn't seem to lead to Hartford, does it? The city and the state are broke, and the state's economy is a disaster. Companies and jobs are fleeing, so where will a team get it's money? A wealthy owner is a necessity, but the team needs to make money on it's own. The deep pockets must be there to get things started and cover a few bad years, but most owners don't want to constantly take on debt to keep a team afloat. Can the Hartford market support a team financially? Even if the team has a long run of non-playoff seasons like the Whalers did? And taking into account that expenses are much higher now than 20 years ago? It seems like a very risky proposition, most investors could do much better things with their money...

WolfpackFan1998 wrote:

> p4277 wrote:

> > Nothing new here. Sadly, I don't think we'll

> > ever get a team in Hartford again.

>

>

> Agreed, nothing new, just rehashing of past speculation.

You disappointed me, WP98. I thought you would argue that there is already a team in Hartford. I guess even you realize that the Ranger Rejects don't count.

p4277 wrote:

> It seems like a very risky proposition, most investors could do

> much better things with their money...

P4277, you are one of the few with brains around here, and you are correct - It is BEYOND risky, the brand has failed TWICE in the past 20 years, the only investors to come along since then have been "secretive investors" - or in other words - figments of the imagination of delusional people, the "secretive investors" thrown around during the past 10 years never have names or faces, they simply don't exist.

Biggie1083 was right all along, the majority of Connecticut residents are RANGERS fans, we support the Rangers, we support the WolfPack, we have a Stanley Cup and Calder Cup to show... we could care less about a picture inside the Texas Roadhouse restaurant in Manchester, we don't care about a bumper-sticker on the wall in a coffee shop in Goshen or a bumper-sticker on the back of a minivan parked at Ocean State Job Lots in Berlin; we put 1.5 Million people on Broadway in 1994 when we brought the Stanley Cup down Broadway.

"the majority of Connecticut residents are RANGERS fans, we support the Rangers, we support the WolfPack"

As of an estimate from last year, just shy of 3.6 million people live in Connecticut. So...if we take a majority of that, per Wolfie's "information", that means over 1.8 million Connecticut residents are Rangers fans.

Yet...the WolfPack, a RANGERS affiliate...can't seem to average more than 4,500 fans per game. Sure, once or twice a season, when they have huge promotions that make folks remember the past, back to a time when people actually cared about the professional hockey team in Hartford, they'll draw 8,000 or 9,000...maybe even 10,000....but other than that...it's not much more than 3,000-4,000 per night.

So...something isn't quite adding up. Unless of course, Wolfie is **ll of crap. Again. :lol:

Whalevolution wrote:

> I disagree, potentially, however unlikely, a team could be here to play

> after the new ice **** is done next summer.

> Plenty of teams have played in a building while another is renovated or one

> is renovated around them. (See Carolina or MSG(same design team as XL

> too))

>

> As long as the State appropriates money to the XL, Hartford is viable.

>

> Malloy could have said no way, he didn't even come close to that. That

> tells you it's still in the mix.

>

>

> Bettman has already said conference alignment is unimportant and also

> something usually fixed last, right not they have three teams on a line of

> credit. Money trumps all things and also #followthemoney.

But our state has no money, no owner with money is looking at hartford and other cities have newer and brand new arenas that are just done. This is why it is highly unlikely we get a team. And good luck during this time in modern Connecticut getting taxpayer money to build a new arena. The xl could hold a team for a few years like the LA rams situation. But eventually they will need to knock down the xl and completely update it like was planned or build a new arena. Owners are taking that into consideration with our market.

wp most definitely is a wackoooo! So wired wp, answer the ? "WILL you support a ahl team with a new affiliate ? Answer the ? before we all die of old age. And Would you support a NHL team if it came up from Brooklyn? And my final follow up If either of the 2 come to p*****, are you going to put rossco in your mouth?

p4277 wrote:

> Yes, we need to follow the money. But it doesn't seem to lead to Hartford,

> does it? The city and the state are broke, and the state's economy is a

> disaster. Companies and jobs are fleeing, so where will a team get it's

> money? A wealthy owner is a necessity, but the team needs to make money on

> it's own. The deep pockets must be there to get things started and cover a

> few bad years, but most owners don't want to constantly take on debt to

> keep a team afloat. Can the Hartford market support a team financially?

> Even if the team has a long run of non-playoff seasons like the Whalers

> did? And taking into account that expenses are much higher now than 20

> years ago? It seems like a very risky proposition, most investors could do

> much better things with their money...

Rumors of a 15B dollar investor so

Yes I would say the money definitely leads to Hartford. You are forgetting who said to follow the money, no need for Malloy to say that if he doesn't know anyone with any

top cat wrote:

> wp most definitely is a wackoooo! So wired wp, answer the ? "WILL you

> support a ahl team with a new affiliate ? Answer the ? before we all die of

> old age. And Would you support a NHL team if it came up from Brooklyn? And

> my final follow up If either of the 2 come to p*****, are you going to put

> rossco in your mouth?

Purely Hypotheticals but on point TC.

Trolling and avoiding questions is a bit yellow bellied isn't it?

Whalevolution wrote:

>

> Rumors of a 15B dollar investor so

>

> Yes I would say the money definitely leads to Hartford. You are forgetting who said

> to follow the money, no need for Malloy to say that if he doesn't know anyone with

> any

I'd love to believe the rumors are true, but if so, where has this investor been for the past 19 years? There have been more than a few opportunities in that time to bring a team to Hartford. The Islanders, Panthers, Coyotes, and Thrashers were all sold. I never heard of an investor trying to buy any of those teams to bring one to Hartford. The NHL requested bids for expansion teams, and no one put in a bid for Hartford. Granted, the expansion price was absurd, but for someone with $15B, that should be no problem.

And don't tell me this multi-billionaire is waiting for the XL Center to be rebuilt. Someone with that much money can rebuild or replace the XL Center. That would show a real commitment to the market. The obscenely overtaxed citizens of this state should not be required to provide an expensive venue for a billionaire's business.

It should be easy to track down then who this “secretive investor” is, if the story is really true.

Below, is a list compiled from Forbes Magazine of the only people in the United States with a value of $15 billion or more. They are mostly well-known names, involved in computers or investing; I have not heard about any of the below people ever visiting Hartford - let alone talking about bringing a sports team to Hartford.

Bill Gates

Warren Buffett

Jeff Bezos

Mark Zuckerberg

Larry Ellison

Michael Bloomberg

Charles Koch

David Koch

Larry Page

Sergey Brin

Jim Walton

Alice Walton

Robson Walton

Sheldon Adelson

George Soros

Phil Knight

Steve Ballmer

Forrest Mars

Jacqueline Mars

John Mars

Michael Dell

Paul Allen

Carl Icahn

Laurene Powell Jobs

Ray Ralio

James Simons

Len Blavatnik

Donald Bren

MarkH2919 wrote:

> I know this is completely beyond your thought process Wolfie...but did you

> ever think it could be more than one investor?

The forum is reporting that it was a $15b investor.

Investor is a singular word, Investors is a plural word, a plural word would be used if there was "more than one investor" as you now claim. That is a 4th grade English grammar lesson. Is mom's basement lacking a dictionary?

WolfpackFan1998 wrote:"The forum is reporting that it was a $15b investor. Investor is a singular word, Investors is a plural word, a plural word would be used if there was "more than one investor..."

Right. Because above all else, this page is all about the usage of proper grammar.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Hey who cares, as long as there is an investor we in good shape, so wolfie

> go play with your dolls balls.

But, that is the problem, there is no investor. Over 19 years, and NOT ONE name of any investor has ever appeared. Get your head out of the warmed-up Celeste pizza and start using some common sense.

HYMH wrote:

> WolfpackFan1998 wrote:"The forum is reporting that it was a $15b

> investor. Investor is a singular word, Investors is a plural word, a plural

> word would be used if there was "more than one investor..."

>

> Right. Because above all else, this page is all about the usage of proper

> grammar.

Thank You HYMH, every little grammar error I make, every hypothesis I partake, WP98 will be watching me.

Again, Sorry; Investors.

^Did I screw this up too? ;)