Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

Gov's Commitment to XL leaves potential for Whalers return

WolfpackFan1998 wrote:

> p4277 wrote:

> > It seems like a very risky proposition, most investors could do

> > much better things with their money...

>

>

> P4277, you are one of the few with brains around here, and you are correct - It is

> BEYOND risky, the brand has failed TWICE in the past 20 years, the only investors to

> come along since then have been "secretive investors" - or in other words -

> figments of the imagination of delusional people, the "secretive investors"

> thrown around during the past 10 years never have names or faces, they simply don't

> exist.

>

> Biggie1083 was right all along, the majority of Connecticut residents are RANGERS

> fans, we support the Rangers, we support the WolfPack, we have a Stanley Cup and

> Calder Cup to show... we could care less about a picture inside the Texas Roadhouse

> restaurant in Manchester, we don't care about a bumper-sticker on the wall in a

> coffee shop in Goshen or a bumper-sticker on the back of a minivan parked at Ocean

> State Job Lots in Berlin; we put 1.5 Million people on Broadway in 1994 when we

> brought the Stanley Cup down Broadway.

Can we be reasonable on this board? Investers hardly reveal themselves until the time is right, I'm fair, that day may never come. But I absolutely believe there is Investers out there maybe one group, maybe more but no less. If I didn't think there was one Id type it out right now.

Staying with reasonable;NYR/HWP are not the most populace see thread about no one seeing their AHL gear south of Jewel St. Reasonably I can't tell you it's Whalers, maybe it's the Bruind but Rangers are a third at best in Hartford county.

Did you paint the lines today?

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> Hey who cares, as long as there is an investor we in good shape.

Haven't heard no. And that is indisputable. Simply put a Hartford without a renovated XL Center is a dead Hartford.

Money is not the issue at all I don't care how broke the state is if they don't do this buh-bye UConn, AHL, etc etc etc

Ironically similar to the Yard Goats if they don't finish the ball park? Then What?

It's pretty much ultimatum time for Hartford. UConn is the Key to this whole thing.

I have to say I sound like a broken record me, Mark, WhaleGuy, Jersey, Whalers4Ever and others have said this all before.

Yesterday was a check in and it's still on his table and apparently not hanging off the side.

brettg1313 wrote:

> Evo, have you heard when the CRDA expects the renovation renderings will be

> done and presented to them?

Renovation renderings other than the ones released last year? I don't know but relatively soon we plan to check in see if we can get an update on anything.

Whalevolution wrote:

"Can we be reasonable on this board? Investers hardly reveal themselves until the time is right, I'm fair, that day may never come. But I absolutely believe there is Investers out there maybe one group, maybe more but no less. If I didn't think there was one Id type it out right now."

No, there doesn't seem to be much room for reason on this board. I can understand that things might need to be kept quiet while things are developing, but as I said before, it's been 19 years and many opportunities have come and gone with no attempt by anyone to bring a team to Hartford. I'd love to share your optimism but if a team hasn't come here by now, it's probably not going to happen.

"Money is not the issue at all I don't care how broke the state is if they don't do this buh-bye UConn, AHL, etc etc etc"

Money is always an issue, and rebuilding the XL Center is big money. Big money that the state doesn't have. The only justification for this project would be the return of an NHL team. And if these investors have $15B, there's no excuse for them not putting up some of the money. UConn won't go buh-bye, they can use the XL as it is, or move on campus. The XL is also more than adequate for the AHL, they have a sweetheart deal, and won't go anywhere...

Again forget the NHL. This is frustrating because your last thought process we've talked about before.

Let's say the NHL never ever comes, they make **n of Hartford, over and over, forever and ever.

WP98 laughs to death litterally.

Guess what?

The XL will still get the same renovations with or without the NHL. Becuase of UConn, no 20 year lease without it and they're not letting 250k beer drinkers and restaurant eaters walk out the door to begin a whole new battle with Storrs with Gampel that needs a ton of work and a new HE arena needed.

And I get that you think it's "optimism" but I am actually reasonable. And believe me there is still a whole **** of a lot of "long shot" in this thing for the NHL. But the XL will get done. And the Pack can't prevent a team from displacing them

If there is a $15 billion investor then why haven't they built an arena and put in an expansion bid? On a side note anyone, including the Governor, who says the Islanders can move to Hartford has no idea what they are talking about. Their $20+ million local TV deal stipulates they stay in the NY metro and Ledecky did not spend $400 million to walk away from $20,000,000 a year and then have to fork over whatever relocation fee would be owed for leaving his negotiated terratory.

Whalevolution wrote:

> Again forget the NHL.

Really? You started this thread. And you titled it featuring the "potential for Whalers return".

>This is frustrating because your last thought process we've talked about before.

Yes, and I still don't believe that UConn and the WolfPack need an arena built to the demanding specifications of the NHL. Since you now say we should forget about the NHL, we should be able to save serious money by upgrading the XL Center to a much more reasonable level than the NHL demands.

> Let's say the NHL never ever comes, they make **n of Hartford, over and

> over, forever and ever.

Really? Who's "they"? Are they making **n of every city without an NHL team? I thought we were going to forget about the NHL.

> WP98 laughs to death litterally.

I don't have a problem with that, do you?

> The XL will still get the same renovations with or without the NHL.

> Becuase of UConn, no 20 year lease without it and they're not letting 250k

> beer drinkers and restaurant eaters walk out the door to begin a whole new

> battle with Storrs with Gampel that needs a ton of work and a new HE arena

> needed.

Yes, this is about UConn. It always is. Spending $250 million on upgrades to a 40 year old arena makes no sense for a college basketball program that plays a partial schedule there, a college hockey program that has relatively few home games, and a minor league hockey team that draws poorly. But by dangling the possibility of an NHL team returning, it makes sense of it.

p4277 wrote:

> Whalevolution wrote:

> > Again forget the NHL.

>

> Really? You started this thread. And you titled it featuring the "potential

> for Whalers return".

Oh My God! Your crazy. I am making a point that no matter how much you hate UConn there renovating the XL whether you want it or not, whether I want it or not. And... Stay with me.... That gives us an oppurtunity, long shot, at the NHL.

Which **ll circle is ironically why I actually started the thread. If the XL doesn't get renovated I wouldn't even bother with any thread let alone this one. I wouldn't even post here because there would be zero chance at the NHL.

I physically cannot type this out again. There's plenty of handles their to pick up the point.

> >This is frustrating because your last thought process we've talked about before.

>

> Yes, and I still don't believe that UConn and the WolfPack need an arena built to the

> demanding specifications of the NHL.

Once again your saying to the standards of the NHL but it's not their standards it's SCI's plan. Which again meets the criteria of the NHL. Coincidence? Maybe not but no one is demanding anything that's the plan!

Since you now say we should forget about the

> NHL, we should be able to save serious money by upgrading the XL Center to a much

> more reasonable level than the NHL demands.

They havent demanded a thing no one has and once again whether the NHL comes or not this is the building we will get, which coincidentally once again meets the criteria of the NHL.

(Our Insane convo continues NEXT POST)

What p4277 is trying to allude to is that after 19+ years, there have been NO names, NO confirmed sightings of these $billionaires walking around Hartford, NO pictures of these $billionaires inspecting the XL Center - even though every person walking around the city has a phone/camera in their pocket, and NO credible news reports in any major nationwide publication about any named investor or team of named investors getting together to bring an NHL team to Hartford. When the time period came to submit an application for an expansion, suddenly these "secretive investors" with $billions were nowhere to be found, even though it would just take a tiny fraction of those $billions to buy a team or build an arena.

As usual, Biggie1083 retains his top spot on this forum for credibility, Biggie1083 never bought into the whole "secretive investor" thing, Biggie1083 knows the WhaleFlop numbers were a joke, Biggie1083 knew the WolfPack were not moving to Bridgeport every year for the past 5 years, if the rumors are not enough to sway him - then they don't sway me.

p4277 wrote:

> Whalevolution wrote:

> > Let's say the NHL never ever comes, they make **n of Hartford, over and

> > over, forever and ever.

> Really? Who's "they"? Are they making **n of every city without an NHL

> team? I thought we were going to forget about the NHL.

Holy ***** you are Nutz! It's a hypothetically dude, chill, I was using it to try and get though to you that this money will be spent on the plan that's in place, stop me if you have heard this because that's the plan which also happens to meet the criteria of the NHL. It'll meet Beyonces criteria, it will meet NCAA Tourney criteria, etc etc etc.

Please if I am the one not being clear someone else on the board tell me???

> > WP98 laughs to death litterally.

> I don't have a problem with that, do you?

It was a joke, but no I don't want anyone to p***** away, #YOLO ya' know.

> Yes, this is about UConn. It always is. Spending $250 million on upgrades to a 40

> year old arena makes no sense for a college basketball program that plays a partial

> schedule there, a college hockey program that has relatively few home games, and a

> minor league hockey team that draws poorly. But by dangling the possibility of an

> NHL team returning, it makes sense of it.

I knew it was heading there and I still took the bait. Lsten, I think this all has to do with your QU inferiority complex. Bobcats get psychological penis envy, I hear ya! Personally I don't give a crap what NCAA D1 program is in there but we better have one to get back the NHL which is always mission priority 1 for me. I'm sorry QU wasn't CTs sweetheart school, I got nothing against QU, I want to go to a game there but UConn is the state's top draw, no changing it and there "transforming" the XL because they see how much improved concessions and suites, premium seating, corporate sales, sponsors etc all create money. So they're following the money. < See what I did there?

WolfpackFan1998 wrote:

> What p4277 is trying to allude to is that after 19+ years, there have been

> NO names, NO confirmed sightings of these $billionaires walking around

> Hartford, NO pictures of these $billionaires inspecting the XL Center -

> even though every person walking around the city has a phone/camera in

> their pocket, and NO credible news reports in any major nationwide

> publication about any named investor or team of named investors getting

> together to bring an NHL team to Hartford. When the time period came to

> submit an application for an expansion, suddenly these "secretive

> investors" with $billions were nowhere to be found, even though it

> would just take a tiny fraction of those $billions to buy a team or build

> an arena.

That's an excellent point and speaks brilliantly to the seriousness of the investors or investor.

If it's best they don't go public, they don't. Must be best here and until we know more, that's indisputable.

> As usual, Biggie1083 retains his top spot on this forum for credibility,

> Biggie1083 never bought into the whole "secretive investor"

> thing, Biggie1083 knows the WhaleFlop numbers were a joke, Biggie1083 knew

> the WolfPack were not moving to Bridgeport every year for the past 5 years,

> if the rumors are not enough to sway him - then they don't sway me.

Whalevolution wrote:

> That's an excellent point and speaks brilliantly to the seriousness of the investors

> or investor.

> If it's best they don't go public, they don't.

So, the "secretive investors", who do such a good job at keeping things secret for the last 19+ years, skipped the NHL Expansion application process because their "secrecy" is more important than obtaining an expansion team, they didn't want to submit the expansion paperwork and receive a team, because they instead want to keep "secret" about getting a team, even though they p*****ed up a perfect opportunity to petition the NHL for a team. That is the biggest pile of BS I may have ever read on this forum.

Wow, that's a long walk for a short drink, isn't it?

I'm trying to make sense of your shifting viewpoints. First we should forget about the NHL. Then we should support this for the sake of UConn, which might lead to getting the NHL back. ???

Whalevolution wrote:

> They havent demanded a thing no one has and once again whether the NHL comes or not

> this is the building we will get, which coincidentally once again meets the criteria

> of the NHL.

You say the NHL has no demands for it's arenas, but then we have to realize that the modifications will meet the NHL's criteria. (Doesn't criteria equal demands?)

And I have nothing against UConn. Having another big hockey program in the state is good for us. I just don't want to pay for their athletic programs. It's a public university, so I understand that public money will be used there. But this money isn't going for scholarships for needy students, or new lab equipment. Instead, it's going for modifications to an arena.

Why do you think I have a QU inferiority complex? They've established themselves as one of the premier hockey programs in the country, they have a nice arena that they actually paid for themselves, and it's a short drive for me to get there. (Free parking, too!) For the record, I think this will be a rebuilding year, not expecting too much from them...

After 19 years, I think the whole "wealthy investors" story is a smoke screen to justify spending a ton of money on a college venue.

But In case these investors are reading this, I suggest calling Pete Karmanos. He has a team for sale, cheaper than an expansion team. He's been trying to sell for a while now, so no reasonable offer will be re**sed.

And I thought I was the only one that got into these arguments. :D

If the $250M (or more) renovation doesn't happen, then we can close the door on the NHL, probably forever. We can also close the door on other huge national events, like the NCAA basketball tournament, the NCAA hockey tournament, and so forth. Boggles my mind...that people in this state are actually content with minor league hockey, and UConn sports being in an inferior conference.

markie NOW seems to be on my page. Yup I stated that uconn's conf was "inferior ' And that hartford will probably Not get an NHL team and folks should be happy with that. The shocker was the baseball debacle. Then again this is hartford the city that can't shoot straight.

" And that hartford will probably Not get an NHL team and folks should be happy with that."

Learn to read.

I said it boggles my mind that people are actually content with what we have. We HAD the best hockey league in the world, the best hockey players in the world, playing in our city for 18 years...what the he!! is wrong with wanting that again?

Without the renovation, there is no NHL...there is no UConn moving to the Big 12, or ACC, or Big 10, there is no nothing. Nothing will change...except the building will deteriorate more, to the point where it won't be salvageable anymore, just like New Haven. And people like you are actually OK with that. Incredible.

A new ice sheet that was absolutely necessary if the XL was going to continue to host Hockey at ANY level.

These aren't new rims for your car kind of upgrades this is new transmission, new brakes etc.

Necessary

MarkH2919 wrote:

> And I thought I was the only one that got into these arguments. :D

>

> If the $250M (or more) renovation doesn't happen, then we can close the

> door on the NHL, probably forever. We can also close the door on other

> huge national events, like the NCAA basketball tournament, the NCAA hockey

> tournament, and so forth. Boggles my mind...that people in this state are

> actually content with minor league hockey, and UConn sports being in an

> inferior conference.

Simply put if someone doesn't support the "Transformation", they really aren't pro-Hartford

MarkH2919 wrote:

> we can close the door on the NHL, probably forever.

MarkieBoy, I knew you would roll around to reality at some point in time. That door was just about welded closed 19 years ago, but with the recent Baldwin failure and now the green/blue baseball brand failing before they even began, the door is now **lly closed. Oh well, I guess you will always have the memories of the Dineen picture hanging over the corner booth at the Texas Roadhouse in Manchester :lol::lol:

As for Biggie and myself, our brand is entering its 20th year in Hartford, we are going for another Stanley Cup in New York this year, and we will be skating on a new ice s h eet next year.

Meanwhile, your "billionaire secretive investors" might consider purchasing an alarm clock, it seems they forgot to wake up on the day where the NHL expansion team proposal was due, your investors are so secretive, they don't even submit paperwork.

Wolfie, if you're going to quote me, use the entire quote.

The entire quote was "If the $250M (or more) renovation doesn't happen, then we can close the door on the NHL, probably forever"

Your stupidity continues to amaze and entertain.

"Simply put if someone doesn't support the "Transformation", they really aren't pro-Hartford"

Right on the nose. And we already know who those people are, don't we?

It's **nny how True North didn't have to keep their intentions of buying a franchise and relocating it to Winnipeg. Quebecor doesn't have to keep their desire a secret. The Foley guy in Las Vegas sold ticket deposits before his expansion bid was selected but I'm supposed to believe Hartford is instructed to be a dirty little secret.

Edited by Guest