Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

Gov's Commitment to XL leaves potential for Whalers return

MarkH2919 wrote:

> "Simply put if someone doesn't support the "Transformation",

> they really aren't pro-Hartford"

>

> Right on the nose. And we already know who those people are, don't we?

We certainly do, the people who don't support Hartford are the same people who removed the name "Hartford" from our hockey team a few years ago, when they came jet-setting into town, and decided to put a huge letter "S" on the front of the team jersey.

However, I was very vocal about my disdain for the removal of "Hartford" from the team name, I urged the "Hartford" name to be brought back, and after 2 years - the powers that be listened to me and brought the Hartford hockey brand back.

will5059 wrote:

> It's **nny how True North didn't have to keep their intentions of buying a

> franchise and relocating it to Winnipeg. Quebecor doesn't have to keep

> their desire a secret. The Foley guy in Las Vegas sold ticket deposits

> before his expansion bid was selected but I'm too belive Hartford is

> instructed to be a dirty little secret.

Agreed, Nashville Willy, the same with the LA Rams, there was no secret there, there was speculation for years and we knew the names of the people who wanted to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles, we knew out in the open where they planned to build their new football stadium near LAX airport, then they purchased that land long before the Rams ever played football in LA again at the temporary stadium, and we knew where the money was coming from, from heirs of the Walton/Walmart family. But when it comes to Hartford, everything has to be kept under lock and key, except for Markie's little call to Country 92.5 FM.

"We certainly do, the people who don't support Hartford are the same people who removed the name "Hartford" from our hockey team a few years ago, when they came jet-setting into town, and decided to put a huge letter "S" on the front of the team jersey."

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

You truly are an idiot.

will5059 wrote:

> > It's **nny how True North didn't have to keep their intentions of buying a

> > franchise and relocating it to Winnipeg. Quebecor doesn't have to keep

> > their desire a secret. The Foley guy in Las Vegas sold ticket deposits

> > before his expansion bid was selected but I'm too belive Hartford is

> > instructed to be a dirty little secret.

It's also **nny how other Investers have remained anonymous in other cities before landing a major league team but they didn't make your extensive list.

Everyone needs to stop with the absolutes. No one HAS to keep their intentions from buying a team. But that's what is happening here. Did you even read the article? Malloys intentions were pretty darn public and clear on the NHL

WolfpackFan1998 wrote: "That is the biggest pile of BS I may have ever read on this forum."

Wow, that's surprising. I'd have thought that, even if it was just to edit something, you would've read at least one of your own posts on this forum.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> HYMH just landed a knockout punch on Wolfie.

Nope, after almost 20 years of championship hockey, I am gearing up for my Home Opener in just a few weeks now. Meanwhile, all you have after 19 years is an empty-list of "secretive investors" and another list **ll of "pre-teens" who you have added to your Boosters in a despicable way of trying to boost the membership. Oh well, you'll always have your Dineen picture at the Texas Roadhouse grill up in Manchester :mrgreen::lol::mrgreen::lol:

MarkH2919 wrote:

> I said it boggles my mind that people are actually content with what we

> have. We HAD the best hockey league in the world, the best hockey players

> in the world, playing in our city for 18 years...what the he!! is wrong

> with wanting that again?

Nothing wrong with that at all. But there's been no indication that it's going to happen. Before we spend a quarter of a billion dollars on an arena for UConn and the WolfPack, I want some *****urance that an NHL team is coming here. Is that wrong?

> Without the renovation, there is no NHL...there is no UConn moving to the

> Big 12, or ACC, or Big 10, there is no nothing. Nothing will

> change...except the building will deteriorate more, to the point where it

> won't be salvageable anymore, just like New Haven. And people like you are

> actually OK with that.

You're right that without the renovation, there is no NHL. But there hasn't been any sign that a team will come here even after putting all that money into the XL. Without it, that enormous amount of money can't be justified. UConn basketball only plays a partial schedule at the XL. UConn hockey, while drawing good crowds in Hockey East, does not come close to filling the building. They could easily use a cheaper, smaller venue. NCAA tournaments move to different cities each year, they're not going to make it worth renovating the building.

As far as New Haven is concerned, that was an entirely different scenario than the XL Center. The NH Coliseum was built on reclaimed land that was not able to properly support a building of that size. There were many cracks in the support columns, and no way to save the building. The XL Center does not have those structural issues. The building can last a very long time even without all the bells and whistles. Some things will always be needed, like new refrigeration, HVAC, etc. But does it really need $250 million? Especially if the NHL is not coming?

Whalevolution wrote:

> It's also **nny how other Investers have remained anonymous in other cities before

> landing a major league team but they didn't make your extensive list.

> Everyone needs to stop with the absolutes. No one HAS to keep their intentions from

> buying a team. But that's what is happening here. Did you even read the article?

> Malloys intentions were pretty darn public and clear on the NHL

I read the article and determined Malloy was talking out-of-his-*****hole when he insinuated the Islanders or a Western team could be available to move here. I've followed the Islanders situation very closely and can't see them leaving the NY metro for the many reasons I elaborated on earlier. West ,or Mid west teams will not be allowed to move east anytime soon. Malloy comes across like he knows half of what he thinks he knows when it comes to these things. If these issues have been addresses I would love to here how and my opinion would change. I'm not the one who speaks in "absolutes", but I continue to see no advantage for a potential ownership group to keep this all secret. Make **n of my list but Winnipeg and Vegas are the 2 cities that have landed a team under the present conditions and Quebec came as close as you can get. I'm all ears for examples of recent relocations that happened in secret.

"Nope, after almost 20 years of championship hockey, I am gearing up for my Home Opener in just a few weeks now. Meanwhile, all you have after 19 years is an empty-list of "secretive investors" and another list **ll of "pre-teens" who you have added to your Boosters in a despicable way of trying to boost the membership."

"Championship hockey"??? Don't make me laugh. Nobody cares about the WolfPack winning a championship 17 years ago, all you need for evidence of that was the maybe 500-600 people that went to the "rally" they had instead of a parade. And yes Wolfie, I was at the rally. They had like 3 sections of the XL open for fans...there was no need to open any more...truth is, it was a rather poor showing. But...again...nobody really gives a crap about AHL hockey...and nobody in this market really gives a crap about Rangers AHL hockey.

The "secretive investors" thing is comical. Every large company has investors that the public doesn't know about. NHL teams are, in fact, large companies. So it shouldn't be a surprise that the investors that may be looking at Hartford for a team want to stay out of the public eye. Just another example of you grasping at what few straws you have left.

"You're right that without the renovation, there is no NHL. But there hasn't been any sign that a team will come here even after putting all that money into the XL. Without it, that enormous amount of money can't be justified. UConn basketball only plays a partial schedule at the XL. UConn hockey, while drawing good crowds in Hockey East, does not come close to filling the building. They could easily use a cheaper, smaller venue. NCAA tournaments move to different cities each year, they're not going to make it worth renovating the building."

There's also no UConn in the Big 12, Big 10 or ACC either. The renovation happening is a key piece of that puzzle that people miss.

UConn hockey doesn't come close to filling the building because Hockey East has set a maximum on capacity...for the first season, it was 8,089. Now, per the Hockey East website, they have XL Capacity listed at 9,000. You say they could use a cheaper, smaller venue, but where? As it is right now, getting to Gampel is a pain in the rear end, and the people of Mansfield/Storrs have already voiced their displeasure on UConn building a hockey arena to meet Hockey East standards, so you can be sure that a new facility in Storrs to hold hoops and hockey is almost certainly a no-go, at least at the present time. So that leaves Hartford.

If we were told in no uncertain terms (and by people that have a little bit more say than Wolfie, TC, Vince and Biggie) that there was no chance at ever getting the NHL back, then I'd be in complete agreement with you regarding the renovation...but...as long as the NHL remains on the table, either as a sure thing or the longest of long $h0ts...we should make the investment.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> If we were told in no uncertain terms (and by people that have a little bit

> more say than Wolfie, TC, Vince and Biggie) that there was no chance at

> ever getting the NHL back, then I'd be in complete agreement with you

> regarding the renovation...but...as long as the NHL remains on the table,

> either as a sure thing or the longest of long $h0ts...we should make the

> investment.

I understand and respect that opinion, even though I disagree with it. The NHL is a very long shot at this point. In a state that has the financial problems that we have, spending $250 million on an outside chance that the NHL might return is the type of irresponsible behavior that has us in the mess we're in.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> There's also no UConn in the Big 12, Big 10 or ACC either. The renovation happening

> is a key piece of that puzzle that people miss.

>

> If we were told in no uncertain terms (and by people that have a little bit more

> say than Wolfie, TC, Vince and Biggie) that there was no chance at ever getting

> the NHL back, then I'd be in complete agreement with you regarding the renovation...but...as

> long as the NHL remains on the table, either as a sure thing or the longest of long

> $h0ts...we should make the investment.

We don't need to spend $250 million for UConn to be in a better conference. The $250 million, which has already been changed to $300 million, is only for the possibility of getting the NHL. SCI had three options $500 million, $300 million, and $100 million. The $100 million option was for the AHL and UConn, it would also mean that UConn could potentially move to a better conference. The governor got rid of that option before SCI could submit any plans. You can still see where that option was in their presentation. I still don't see how spending $300 million we don't have to try and possibly get a chance at getting the NHL back without any guarantee is a good idea. Especially when the state has to try and come up with $4 billion to $5 billion to replace I-84 in Hartford by 2021. Honestly, I don't see the state spending anymore money on the XL Center after they replace the ice making equipment next year until after they pay for 84.

p4277 wrote:

> MarkH2919 wrote:

> > If we were told in no uncertain terms (and by people that have a little bit

> > more say than Wolfie, TC, Vince and Biggie) that there was no chance at

> > ever getting the NHL back, then I'd be in complete agreement with you

> > regarding the renovation...but...as long as the NHL remains on the table,

> > either as a sure thing or the longest of long $h0ts...we should make the

> > investment.

>

> I understand and respect that opinion, even though I disagree with it. The NHL is a

> very long **** at this point. In a state that has the financial problems that we

> have, spending $250 million on an outside chance that the NHL might return is the

> type of irresponsible behavior that has us in the mess we're in.

Completely agree 100% with this. That is the struggle of truly getting a team here. Ownership groups outside of a few exceptions tend to want to p***** the bill on to taxpayers to a point where it screws over and gives more risk to a city or state than the risk they carry. So many examples of current and even decade old Arenas built will taxpayers are still paying literally for bad deals struck **nding arenas with municipal bonds. Unless whalers fans kidnap some wealthy investors soon there is a very slim chance we get a team anytime soon. Shoot the wolfpack have a better chance of increasing attendance back to 1998 levels :lol:

Monizzle145 wrote:

> Completely agree 100% with this. That is the struggle of truly getting a team here.

> Ownership groups outside of a few exceptions tend to want to p***** the bill on to

> taxpayers to a point where it screws over and gives more risk to a city or state

> than the risk they carry. So many examples of current and even decade old Arenas

> built will taxpayers are still paying literally for bad deals struck **nding arenas

> with municipal bonds. Unless whalers fans kidnap some wealthy investors soon there

> is a very slim chance we get a team anytime soon. **** the wolfpack have a better

> chance of increasing attendance back to 1998 levels :lol:

The best example of this is Kansas City with their Sprint Center. It opened in 2005 at a cost of $250 million dollars. It only had one sports tenant in 12 years, and had to create a special entertainment tax on hotels and rentals to pay for construction and maintenance. They have been trying to get an NBA and NHL team to move there. The NHL and NBA have even played preseason games there and still no team has moved there.

"They have been trying to get an NBA and NHL team to move there. The NHL and NBA have even played preseason games there and still no team has moved there."

Well, they sure haven't tried very hard. They could have had the Coyotes at any point from 2008-2013 or so.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> Every large company has investors that the public doesn't know about.

The difference in that "failed analogy" of yours, is that the Company already exists.

It is one thing to have "secretive investors" in a company that already has day-to-day operations that can be seen and measured... it is another thing to have "secretive investors" in a pipe-dream that hasn't played out in 20 years.

Do me a favor MarkieBoy, borrow your mom's Buick and go drive down to Rockville Savings Bank, and tell them you need a business loan for a business you are thinking about starting, and that you have lots of investors behind you and you have lots of customers already lined up.... when the bank loan officer asks you for names of these investors and **ture customers, tell them they are all "secretive" and you can't disclose them, they will laugh you out of that bank so fast you'll be back in mom's basement watching reruns of Wheel of Fortune before you know it.

Also, tell me which day you are going to Rockville Bank, I will park in the parking lot, can't wait to see your big pale goofy face walk into a bank with this "secretive BS" you are always trying to pull on here for the past 5 years.

Wolfie...how many times do I have to ask you to leave the family out of it. You want to come after me, fine...I'm a big boy, I can take it. Leave the family out of it.

"It is one thing to have "secretive investors" in a company that already has day-to-day operations that can be seen and measured... it is another thing to have "secretive investors" in a pipe-dream that hasn't played out in 20 years."

No Wolfie. A "secretive investor" is the same regardless.

Secret investors are just that, and their money makes sure it stays that way. Whether the company is just starting or has been around for 100 years.

MarkieBoy, it all boils down to one thing:

FACT: If you and all of the "secretive investors" packed into your mom's Buick and you drove down to the Texas Roadhouse grill in Manchester to stare at the Dineen picture, you wouldn't have enough people in the car to use the HOV lanes on I-84.

So I did a little digging, and I now remember why Wolfie was kind of shamed into a "leave of absence" from this place.

This is not the first time he has dragged people's family through the mud...he did it with another poster, insulting their child because the child was mentally challenged, and to the credit of that poster, he called Wolfie out and Wolfie decided to leave on his own.

You should be aware that my mother has survived cancer, she has survived knee and back surgeries, and has enough issues with her health currently, on top of taking care of my handicapped father...to be brought into any discussion here. She is a zillion times the human being you could ever dream of being.

I've asked nicely...now I'm telling you...leave your insults to me, and leave the family out of it. Because if it continues, I'm going to make my own little cache of your insults...and send it to an attorney.

Consider this your last warning.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> Because if it continues, I'm going to make my own little cache of your insults...and send it to an attorney.

>

> Consider this your last warning.

Would this be the same attorney who represents these various "secretive investors"? If so, he will be glad to have your business of this big message board lawsuit you are cooking up, after all, he has had no legal billing hours for the past 19 years.