Sign in to follow this  
MarkH2919

Falcons staying in Springfield

http://theahl.com/falcons-announce-affiliation-lease-extensions-p175278

The Springfield Falcons, proud members of the American Hockey League, announced today that they have agreed on a multi-year extension with both their National Hockey League partner the Columbus Blue Jackets and the M*****achusetts Convention Center Authority.

“As an owner, I am very optimistic about the potential of the Springfield Falcons and I am happy to announce this two-year extension here in Springfield,” said Falcons Majority Owner, Charlie Pompea. “We are hoping to partner with the community in making this your team. Obviously like the fans, I am disappointed in our first half results and do hope that the string of injuries that has affected our results on the ice will conclude. We need fans in the stands and I look forward to a much better second half. I would like to thank our many corporate supporters and loyal fans. I look forward to our mutual success both on and off the ice and I can’t wait to hear Shake Rattle and Roll after more wins at The Nest.”

The Falcons have played all of their home games in the heart of downtown Springfield since their inception into the AHL in 1994 starting with the Springfield Civic Center, which upon completion of renovations at the start of the 2005-06 season, was renamed the M*****Mutual Center. The Falcons own the AHL’s all-time record for longest home undefeated/points streak at 24 games starting on February 8, 1997 and concluding on November 14, 1997.

“The Springfield Falcons are a key partner with us in providing affordable, family entertainment in downtown Springfield,” said James E Rooney, Executive Director of the M*****achusetts Convention Center Authority. “We are pleased to have reached agreement in principle to extend our current lease with them for two additional years with two option years.”

This is excellent news for New England hockey fans, another option to watch the game we all love. We doubt that Dave Andrews, AHL president would ever allow the AHL Falcons to leave Springfield given the AHL main office is located in downtown Springfield. It would be a shame to see Springfield to ever lose a team when the AHL head offices are right in town, eh! Speaking of Springfield, we'll see them Sa****ay night!!! Go Whale!!!