Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

'GET MOTIVATED' Hartford Hockey Moment

"Get Motivated" was in Hartford yesterday. One of their guest speakers was Bill O'Reilly. The crowd met him with some jeers. He mentioned working for WFSB and he remembered the building and said this is the home of the Whalers. The crowd of 15k erupt with cheers!

Let's go Whale!

Not a Bill O'Reilly fan but at least it wasnt Bill Maher or Rachael Madcow.

Sometimes people need to be reminded that regardless of the team that calls the XL Center home right now, that arena will always be the Whalers' building. Always.

LET'S GO WHALERS!!!!!

Hence the rebrand

I guess he was introduced with a smattering of BOOS but probably used his WFSB job and his memories of the Whalers to win over the crowd.

I really wonder what would have happened if he spoke about the Wolf Pack or the Whale what the response would have been? I dont think it would have been boos, maybe it would have, I dont know, but I am curious to see what would have happened.

"I really wonder what would have happened if he spoke about the Wolf Pack or the Whale what the response would have been?"

The response would have probably been "Who the **** are the WolfPack????" ;)

I kinda meant if the Rangers Affiliate was still playing under that original name.

I really am curious what the reaction would have been I guess there are only three answers; Positively, Negatively or indifferent.

I think it would have been a combo of Postive/Indifferent

Biggie you said it if only the 15K would go to games now.

In my opinion, that is the main problem. There have been tons of events where someone talks about the Whalers, and everyone cheers and gets excited. Then you go to one of the 38 or so games and only get 3 to 4K. That's why I think most Whalers don't really care about "Hartford" Hockey, but only "Whalers" Hockey.

Biggie1083 wrote :

> In my opinion, that is the main problem. There have been tons of events

> where someone talks about the Whalers, and everyone cheers and gets

> excited. Then you go to one of the 38 or so games and only get 3 to 4K.

> That's why I think most Whalers don't really care about

> "Hartford" Hockey, but only "Whalers" Hockey.

I absolutely agree Biggie. :D

No guys its much more simplier than that.

People care about the NHL and not the AHL.

Its really back to the steak vs hamburger argument.

It also is memorable to people because the Whalers were more permanent, players here now come and go like bus boys in a restaurant.

How can any fans get attached to players they like when they are all gone within one to three seasons?

I still think the Whale, Rangers, WSE can help themselves if they get the players more into community events. Have them at events in downtown, they will never be as popular as an NHL teams players would be here but they can do better than they are doing now for sure.

Biggie and PackFan have fair points, but it's exactly what Evo said.

More people care about the NHL then the AHL. Just like more people care about MLB than AAA, and on and on.

We could have the AHL 50 more years...but the XL Center will always be the Whalers building until the day it meets the wrecking ball.

"People care about the NHL and not the AHL.

Its really back to the steak vs hamburger argument."

Yes, why bother name a hamburger after a steak, when all it is just a hamburger?

The building will always be the Whalers building, give me a break........How are people going to "Get Motivated" about current Hartford hockey with statements like that??? Guess they should have shut the doors for good when the Whalers left town then. Don't worry after next season that might be the case and the XL Center can be a Whalers museum, and 15k can walk through it once a year.

Just one more year of this garbage....and knock the damn building down

I completely understand, Evo and Mark, but you always hear that there are thousands of fans that want the Whalers back, but I only see the same 100 or so doing something.

In a shocking twist, W2W doesn't get it.

It makes no difference who the current team is now, man. More people care about the NHL. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Yes that is very true BIGGIE. Hartford is very much a "WISH SOMEONE WOULD DO SOMETHING" kind of town.

Let me be clear to you guys who may not have liked this story if Bill O'Reilly came out and said hey this is the home of the Whale and 15k erupted into team spirit I personally would be just as happy and I would have posted it here.

But that didnt happen O'Reilly mentioned the Whalers, and we know why he did its what he remembers while the AHL is just not memorable to the general public, well at least not here.

W2W Yes, why bother name a hamburger after a steak, when all it is just a hamburger?

Because naming hamburger after a steak is more appealing than just Tripe(WOLF PACK)

I really didnt post this to become a pissing match but I guess I should have known better.

And the NHL isn't here and never will be until the people of the Hartford Hockey Market show an interest in the sport of HOCKEY. NOT NHL, NOT AHL, NOT NCAA, NOT ECHL, NOT USHL, PLAIN AND SIMPLE THE SPORT OF HOCKEY IN HARTFORD. Why don't you get it?

"Because naming hamburger after a steak is more appealing than just Tripe(WOLF PACK)"

LOL, you do know that when you try to treat the WolfPack like yesterdays garbage, you are just motivating others to treat the Whalers like it. You know say things like "get over it" or whatever else hurt wittle marks feelings. The more one side dishes out the more it receives. As **nny as the name sounded to everyone in the beginning, when is the last time I have put down the name CT Whale? The only thing I put down is the fact that people didn't show up despite the rebrand. (Yes I know your the exception) But I knew from day one the rebrand wouldn't do anything but provide a little bit of hype at the beginning. And that is exactly waht happened.

WSE gave Whalers fans the green the blue and the br***** bonanza that they wanted for so long. And in the 2nd year the CT Whale averages 4,600???? Really? I wonder what the WolfPack averaged in their 2nd year.

Looking objectively,when the Whalers were here we were part of an elite group of (21 originally) NHL teams.Even when we were average or less(which to be honest was the majority of the time)we were a professional sports city & you'd still see Hartford covered regularly all over North America.Now we're just one of thousands of places that host development teams.

Wherever you were if you said "Whalers,"people knew ASAP you were talking about Hartford.They've been gone since the 1990's &people still know that.Br***** Bonanza is still played all over& Whaler jerseys are everywhere.

If you randomly ask people outside of Hartford about the"Wolf Pack,"it's probable none of them would have any idea you meant a hockey team in Hartford.

We used to go to Hartford & get to watch Dineen,Francis,Liut,Burke,Verbeek,etc play against the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux,Trottier,Bourque,Roy,etc.Putting affiliations aside for a second,now we get to watch a bunch of players no one's ever heard of play games against teams like the Syracuse Crunch for a trophy no one cares about.

Then when the team has a good player,he's promoted out of town& the only ones you get to see here long term are the players who aren't good enough to make the pros(Every AHL team has its Ken Gernanders)

Those who were here during the Whalers tenure remember how great it was to be a part of it, & how when they won it was fantastic. Now though,we're watching inferior hockey in a development league that every player is trying his hardest to get away from.Now,add back in the Rangers/Whalers, Wolf Pack/Whale,NHL/AHL debates that are unique to this market & maybe you'll see why this team doesn't draw.

You said you think Whalers fans don't care about Hartford hockey,only Whalers hockey.So if the CT Whale becomes an affiliate of the St. Louis Blues & Ranger fans stop going to the XL as many said,would that mean they only care about the Rangers,& not Hartford hockey?

LOL, you do know that when you try to treat the WolfPack like yesterdays garbage, you are just motivating others to treat the Whalers like it.

I know, I admit, it probably came off as harsh and you are correct there is Whaler hate out there but none of that has anything at all to do with the fact that started this little tissy fit.

Its not Whalers are better than Wolf Pack/Whale its just that

9 million fans watched the NHL here in Hartford

and over basically the same time period only

3.5 million fans watched the AHL here in Hartford

Dont forget the Pack won a championship, and still people talk about second round loss to the Canadiens.

Hey if the Wolf Pack was Hartfords NHL team and the Rangers affiliate was the Whalers the story would still be the same, people would remember the Pack.

W2W I wonder what the WolfPack averaged in their 2nd year.

They did great they were at the top of the league, but it wasnt because people loved the Wolf Pack. The Wolf Pack did great early for two reasons and two reasons only

One they won a championship

Two (and more importantly) the Wolf Pack attendance was padded with thousands of Whaler fans, then when the novelty of the Pack wore off and People realized it wasnt as exciting or competitive as NHL hockey, The Pack began to drop to below average attendance. Until Howard Baldwin rebrands the team to look like Steak, he has said he wants the Whale to be run like the 31st NHL franchise, and suddenly there was a 36% increase in attendance. The second year attendance dropped 19% but did you hear the Whale was the 3rd highest team in Revenue this past season? I dont think things are as bad as they were even four months ago. Baldwin appears to be getting the ship righted.

I get that fine. But it still doesn't take away from the fact the XL Center is the Whalers building, and it always will be.

All the WolfPack banners and 50 more years of the AHL isn't going to change that. More people care about the NHL. That's a fact. It's hard enough to get people to care about the AHL, it's even harder after the NHL has been here. For everything that happened in Winnipeg, they still only put 7-8K in the building on most nights. With a new arena, and an owner with incredibly deep pockets, the NHL went back. If Hartford had the same thing, they'd get the NHL back too.

"But I knew from day one the rebrand wouldn't do anything but provide a little bit of hype at the beginning. And that is exactly waht happened"

No, you HOPED that is what would happen. In a way, you've been right. In a way, you've also been wrong, because there have been other factors in this equation that nobody saw coming, like WSE's financial woes. If the promotion/advertising money was there like it was in 2010/11, the attendance might have gone up instead of down. We'll never know. What we do know is attendance has been up since the last days under the old brand. We know games are on TV again, radio too. There's more interest in the team now then in several years under the WP brand. Those are FACTS. You just can't see them because, as always, you look at things through WolfPack colored gl*****es.

If a statement like Bill O'Reilly's is enough to send the WolfPack fans into a frenzy, imagine if AEG and WSE did what Tackla has been suggesting all this time and replaced the WolfPack banners with Whale banners? We might actually get that protest that was in WPF98's wet dream! :lol: :lol:

HYMH - "You said you think Whalers fans don't care about Hartford hockey,only Whalers hockey.So if the CT Whale becomes an affiliate of the St. Louis Blues & Ranger fans stop going to the XL as many said,would that mean they only care about the Rangers,& not Hartford hockey?"

But, we didn't try to use our team to get the NHL. Everyone say "Hartford" Hockey, but most don't care about Hartford. They only care about the Whalers, Wolf Pack, or Rangers. If people really cared about "Hartford" Hockey, then they would be going to games no matter who the team affiliated. Also, if Howard Baldwin wasn't involved with the Whale then most Whalers fans would have nothing to do with the team. Even though, right now, all they talk about is how we all should support "Hartford" Hockey.

Finally, from what I heard from people who were at "Get Motivated", O'Riley never said "this is the home of the Whalers". He said he use to go to games with the guys from WFSB, and how it was weird to be standing at center ice.

Biggie, having the NHL over the AHL would be better for Hartford. Therefore, to care about the Whalers, is caring about Hartford. The two, in that sense, go hand-in-hand.

Until the day comes that either (a) the NHL returns or (b) the NHL door gets slammed for good, this bickering is going to continue. But no matter what bickering occurs, or what the **ture holds, the XL Center is still the Whalers building. O'Reilly can say it however he wants, that doesn't change.

I was not there so I dont know what O'Reilly actually said but if he said what Biggie said I think its cool that the people there cheered for Hockey. It happened to be the Whalers but if it was cheers for the Whale or whatever hockey team is here I am just as happy.

This is not a big deal just something that happened yesterday.

I just posted it because I thought it was interesting, I never wanted it to become a WHale vs Whalers vs Wolf Pack thing.

I think many forget that this is still a Whalers message board, it says at the top, Keeping the Whalers alive. Little anecdotes or blurbs about the Whalers is all Whaler fans really have.

There is no board for keeping the Wolf Pack (BRAND) alive, but I am not saying you cant start one if one of you guys wants too. Just not here.

"The second year attendance dropped 19% but did you hear the Whale was the 3rd highest team in Revenue this past season? I dont think things are as bad as they were even four months ago. Baldwin appears to be getting the ship righted."

If things were that great Howard Baldwin wouldn't be crying foul with the lease he willingly signed.

I am not saying things are that bad but they are not good, lets hope Baldwin is getting the ship righted and lets hope its not to late.

If the trouble is all about what league is here then why hasn't Baldwin gotten an NHL exhibition game here? Wouldn't that make a statement? or would it????

Not all WolfPack fans are Rangers fans and the reasons they would stop supporting Hartford hockey if the NYR affiliation were gone, might not be the reasons you think they would be.

Mark says it best. Let's get a new affiliation in here ever couple years and never make the playoffs. Having the confidence in the NYR putting a winning team on the ice every year is a good reason to be a fan.

I have been a WolfPack fan from day one, and I hated the NYR prior to the salary cap era, because they squired hockey cards and not hockey players, not giving the player here much of a shot.

I'm sorry but there is no way someone can say they are a Hartford hockey fan and celebrate the elimination of 12 former Hartford hockey players from the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Even if your not a NYR fan.