Sign in to follow this  
WolfpackFan1998

MIDDLETOWN PRESS: Islanders to Hartford a pipedream

"The people of the state deserve a up grade arena" ??? Pray tell why??? I noticed that the Uconn mens basketball game had a ton of empty seats for the Memphis game. Look, We all pretty much agree NO NHL for Hartford except markie, metoo and one or two others. The only city that has an up to date new arena is Quebec with no NHL. Was that a huge mistake?? Maybe yes maybe know. One thing for sure they have a much better chance than Hartford. Am I narrow minded on this? Could be, but I'd be pissed off if I lived in Ct. Once again if NO NHL Is this mega upgrade for uconn and a circus, tractor pull, monster trucks, another indoor soccer team or maybe a few mega concerts.

"The people of the state deserve a up grade arena" ??? Pray tell why??? I noticed that the Uconn mens basketball game had a ton of empty seats for the Memphis game. Look, We all pretty much agree NO NHL for Hartford except markie, metoo and one or two others. The only city that has an up to date new arena is Quebec with no NHL. Was that a huge mistake?? Maybe yes maybe know. One thing for sure they have a much better chance than Hartford. Am I narrow minded on this? Could be, but I'd be pissed off if I lived in Ct. Once again if NO NHL Is this mega upgrade for uconn and a circus, tractor pull, monster trucks, another indoor soccer team or maybe a few mega concerts.

top cat wrote:

> "The people of the state deserve a up grade arena" ??? Pray tell

> why??? I noticed that the Uconn mens basketball game had a ton of empty

> seats for the Memphis game. Look, We all pretty much agree NO NHL for

> Hartford except markie, metoo and one or two others. The only city that

> has an up to date new arena is Quebec with no NHL. Was that a huge

> mistake?? Maybe yes maybe know. One thing for sure they have a much better

> chance than Hartford. Am I narrow minded on this? Could be, but I'd be

> pissed off if I lived in Ct. Once again if NO NHL Is this mega upgrade for

> uconn and a circus, tractor pull, monster trucks, another indoor soccer

> team or maybe a few mega concerts.

Mr. Top Cat, you think the XL Center should not be remodeled? Why? I know my cousins would love to see the Whalers back. I'm not in Connecticut, but if the politicians screw up, I think it will cause Connecticut citizens to start a revolution. The XL Center was Connecticut's pride and I think it could be again.

Teenie please stop including me in your posts. You're a naive child who knows only what your family expresses. I don't know if you noticed but nobody responds to your childish posts. Nobody cares about your boat, water skiing, your father mother uncle cousin etc. Go to the beach and knock yourself out Enjoy your childhood and play with your friends. Life is short.

I've expressed my views upteen times on this very topic. Go back and read them. Ps as far a answering ?s I've asked wp a ? as to him supporting a ahl new affiliate at least 10X and he re**sed to answer. So lil markie F&&& off. Go cheer for your uconn losers and watch Whaler reruns. Oh yes please continue your DEEP conversation with weewee concerning NHL conferences which seemed to last forever. As for me I'd rather watch earth worms mate. Go pick a team any team and have some NHL hockey **n. Before I go: Please tell us all which NHL team will be playing in the XL very soon. With all your contacts you certainly must have a good idea as to which team is the front runner.

So when you are asked a question, you re**se to answer, claiming you've answered it before...yet you demand Wolfie answer a question when you ask him?

What a loser. Wow. A complete gutless coward. Here's how pathetic you are, I have more faith in Whalerdude than you, and we all know how I feel about Whalerdude.

By the way, if I did know what NHL team was going to be in the XL Center, the LAST people on the planet I'd tell is the group of morons here, like yourself. You want to know? Find out in the news like everybody else.

I'm a weirdo because I want better than minor league hockey, mediocre college sports and low level minor league baseball?

I'm a weirdo because I want a better facility for my city, the city that I continue to support regularly (unlike you, who bailed to upstate Vermont)

I'm a weirdo because I don't want the facility where I spent so many nights as a child reduced to a parking lot, similar to what happened in New Haven?

If all of those things make me a weirdo, then I'm guilty as charged.

Bailed out???? No weirdo, I left Ct for a better state and better life. Here's a suggestion: Get mommie's permission to come on up to northern VT and check it out. So ANSWER my ? Which NHL team is coming to Hartford and when? Check in with the village idiot metoo as he may have the answer. Again markie get out more and enjoy life. We only come around one time.

The bottom line for you TC and the others on here that are banging the "it's too expensive, we can't afford it" drum is as follows. Pay attention TC, you might miss something.

This could have and maybe should have been done 15-20 years ago. But the state, as they always do, kick the can down the road until it becomes insanely expensive to fix. Remember, in 1997, the cost of a brand new arena here was around $140M or so...now, it's $250M just to renovate the XL Center. A new facility would cost, at the very least, twice to three times that amount. So...once again, our wonder**l leaders screwed up...instead of building new in 1997 (or shortly after the Whalers left), where the cost would be less than what the renovations cost today...the state waited...and waited...and waited some more, until we come to today.

Nedman said it best on this message board recently...it's time to pay the piper. If we want to be a major player in college sports, (read: basketball), if we want to have ANY chance of the NHL (or keeping minor league hockey) in Hartford, then this has to be done, and it has to be done NOW. There is no more kicking the can down the road 5 or 10 years. It's now or never. Literally.

"No weirdo, I left Ct for a better state and better life"

You can call it whatever you want. I'll call it "bailed out"

"So ANSWER my ? Which NHL team is coming to Hartford and when?"

If I knew...I would tell the few people on here that I actually like in private, NOT on here. Which does NOT include you. You'll find out like most people in Vermont find out about news...by Pony Express.

This whole past couple weeks with this xl stuff is past bizarre. The state as a whole is against this. Check the comment section of any general news source. Easily 20 angry comments to 1 pro. This budget is a disaster even before you take into account the 250 million for the XL. The teacher pensions were never intended to be paid by the towns. 130+ towns are getting hammered by this. This effects any of us with mortgages to pay. If my property taxes go up much more I will have to refinance just to stay in my house. All these leaders in Hartford should be ashamed that they lead us down this path. So while the hardline "new xl at any cost" crowd here genuflects to Malloy and his vague claims of "talking" to "people" who will get us the NHL I'll be here scratching my head. Give me a letter of intent from a team who will move here contingent on an XL renovation and I'll get behind it, until then the chance at having to pay the bill for our own version of Coppe Coliseum is making me sick. Believe me, I'd love for my kids to grow up near an NHL team, but this doesn't add up.

"I don't want to the see the XL Center turned into a parking lot. That would be suicide for downtown. I get our state has budget problems but they need to figure out a way to make it work. NHL or not, that building has been long overdue for a top to bottom renovation."

Agreed 1000%.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> So will and TC are on record for saying the XL should be a parking lot.

> I'm guessing p4277 wants that too.

>

> Who else?

Not what I said at all. I'm against doing this project without a ymteam to go with it. You don't need a 17000 seat arena for mid major basketball and hockey east. Some of us have mortgages to pay and we are concerned about property taxes raising faster than the value of our homes.

Will, that's the problem.

The "kick the can down the road" card has been played already, in fact, there aren't any more in the deck. Malloy himself said on Friday that either we do the renovations or we start planning to close the building. Those are his words, not mine. And from what he said on Friday, it sure sounds like the building would close fairly soon (say...within 3-4 years at most) if the renovations don't get approved.

Keep using your "kick the can" line along with your "negative nancy" bs and I'll stay in reality. The state is broke. In order for the teachers and police officers pensions to stay alive the middle cl***** has to suffer. Of coarse Malloy is going to say the XL will have to close in 3 or 4 years. He's trying to scare you into buying a new one. I'm going to need a little more than vague references to speaking to the NHL before I get as jazzed up as you. Without a commitment from an NHL ream this makes about as much sense as buying a new Corvette when the roof of your house is caving in.

OK, let me try this from another approach. What is your plan for the XL Center? Let's say, that there is no NHL. Let's say it's for what we currently have.

What more do you need markie. No NHL contract not major renovation. Not hard to see the point. So here's another ?. Is it not true that uconn men's basketball is not drawing what they used to draw? So who's going to fill those new seats? New restrooms, chiller for the ice, maybe new seats and new concessions might be a good idea. So where is the need for an additional 2,000 seats. Is it for uconn basketball, ahl, concerts, arena football, a circus, indoor soccer, maybe roller derbies. And you referred to ME as an idiot???? I wonder if people living in Litchfield or Fairfield are down with this possibile fiasco. Let me remind you that the Whalers couldn't draw from greater New Haven. And that's a 50 minute drive. You and your posse are past stupid.

What more do you need, clown?

Malloy has made it very clear that there are pretty much two choices.

1) Renovate the arena

2) Begin preparations to close the arena

This isn't rocket science. If you want downtown Hartford to be more than just a 9 to 5 city, then you $uck it up, you spend the money, and you renovate the building.

Edited by Guest

TopCat, I'm going to ask you the same question. What is your plan for the XL Center....I'm going on the premise there is no NHL, this is for what we currently have...

How is this renovation going to perk up Hartford's night life? Nothing sells out now. Markie's problem is that he swallows the BS whether it's from Molly or Howard. So please explain your reasoning. Make it bigger for what? Hartford never had much of a night life. I must admit that it did pick up some during the 80s, but people that I've known for a long time tell me that Hartford really $ u c k s now.

MarkH2919 wrote:

>

> This could have and maybe should have been done 15-20 years ago. But the

> state, as they always do, kick the can down the road until it becomes

> insanely expensive to fix. Remember, in 1997, the cost of a brand new

> arena here was around $140M or so...

That's exactly the point, the cost of money 20 years ago vs. today. That project in 1997 bonded for 30 years would only have 10 more years to go until **lly paid and we'd already be NHL ready. The balance would be less than $60M today. Fast forward to today, it's the same issue, bond this over 30 years and it's a drop in the bucket in today's State budget despite the current budget situation. I've already presented the costing analysis many times over and over, but most on this forum continue to whine about the expense. It's amazing they're able to make ends meet in their own personal budgets without going bankrupt with this line of thinking. At the cost of today's money and low interest rates, this is a good time to whip out the State credit card and bite the bullet and make the monthly payments via Bonding. Interest rates will be on the rise soon, and the project costs bonded over 30 years will be out of reach. Unfortunately, we've pisssed the past 20 years away budget-wise. Typical thinking in the land of steady habits = stupid State financial mistakes year after year...