Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

As we've been saying there is an investment group

"Remember a gentleman named Larry Gottesdiener? He talked a big game a decade ago of wanting to do just that. But that's all it was......talk."

11 years ago? That's your comparison? You're worse than Wolfie.

I can't believe some idiot actually asked Malloy "wouldn't it be better to just knock it down, New Haven is way ahead of Hartford generally and we don't miss our arena at all...." The caliber of media in CT is stunningly poor in most cases with some exceptions (Dennis House, EVO, Paul Doyle, etc)

My fiance and I had parents over for dinner last night. Dad and I talked about Xl center plan and what he is hearing from his clients and his colleagues.

My Dad says he is hearing that Malloy doesn't have enough support in general *****embly to get approval for bonding for Xl center reno plan p*****ed. Republicans are all against it and even majority of Democrats are against it because Dems are hearing from voters that Xl center is not priority when state budget is in such bad shape and aid to cities and towns is getting cut and local taxes are going to have to go up if Malloy gets his way to make cities and towns pay part of teacher pension costs.

My Dad says he is hearing Malloy is afraid he won't be able to get enough Dems to approve bonding for Xl center reno. My Dad says clients and colleagues are telling him Malloy taking reporters on tour of Xl center and sharing story of ownership group that supposedly wants to bring Nhl team to Hartford if they can buy team was Malloy's "hail Mary" p*****. Malloy is hoping to get reporters to write stories convincing Ct voters that group wanting to buy Nhl team would move team to Hartford if Xl center was renovated. Malloy is then hoping if enough Ct voters believe stories that Ct voters will pressure general *****embly members to back Xl reno plan. My Dad says people he has spoken to are split about whether ownership group Malloy says contacted him since he sent letter to Isles is real or just story Malloy started to get voters excited enough to put pressure on General *****embly. Some people my Dad has talked to say that can't see Malloy lying about something like that. Other people Dad talked to say they are convinced it is made up and that Malloy is gambling that if he can get money for Xl center reno approved and get Xl center fixed up a group interested in bringing Nhl team to Hartford will materialize after fact and nobody will realize that Malloy didn't have ownership group already lined up.

We will see.

"The state needs to focus on getting that place **lly renovated first and foremost."

They need to get the approval to renovate. Without that, the building closes.

It really can't be any simpler than that, regardless of what Chad's father says. Without the renovations getting approved, the XL Center will be closed, probably by the end of the decade.

>>>Sorry VinceCT you might need extra shorts<<<

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here but since my opinion matters to you here it is. What are the names *****ociated with this group? What do they do? Where are they from? This kind of takes off on what Chad said but it needs to be said. This is just another idle statement similar to the others made by Malloy over the last three years. In all this time no names have been presented. The only two people that we know of that said anything about trying to bring a team to Hartford were Larry "I Have No Money" Gottesdiener and Howard "I Have No Money" Baldwin.

When Malloy gives real names of these "groups" then I'll listen. Until then it is white noise.

VinceCT wrote:

>

> When Malloy gives real names of these "groups" then I'll listen. Until then

> it is white noise.

Yup, these investment groups are likely figments of Malloy's imagination. In any case, it's not much of a news story now. The Governor said there were multiple groups several years ago. Malloy pulls this out when he wants to drum up support for spending huge amounts of money on the XL Center. It doesn't seem to be working this time, people are against his budget, including the XL money.

We need to hear from these groups, if they exist. We knew who wanted to bring a team back to Winnipeg before it happened. We knew who was looking to buy an expansion team in Las Vegas before it happened. We know who is trying to bring a team back to Quebec City. But in Hartford, it's a deep, dark secret for some reason. I'll believe it when I see it.

TheWhaleGuy123 wrote:

> I can't believe some idiot actually asked Malloy "wouldn't it be

> better to just knock it down, New Haven is way ahead of Hartford generally

> and we don't miss our arena at all...." The caliber of media in CT is

> stunningly poor in most cases with some exceptions (Dennis House, EVO, Paul

> Doyle, etc)

The media are a wonder**l bunch of morons. I think I could research better than those idiots. My uncle was in the media and he had to leave. His boss didn't let him research stories...

Malloy is no different than trump. Alternative Facts and imaginary investment groups with no names or specific people at the forefront.

During this Raiders situation to go to vegas actual banks revealed their names and big name investors were mentioned in person. Since things have gotten worse actual names and actual banks were named and backed out of it.

During malloys tenure everything has been hearsay and rumors.

I agree to an extent but that letter clearly shows that there are talks on going or even have been on going for some time. No matter how serious

And Bettmans letter finally drew a line in the sand for the Yotes. No pun intended

Whalevolution wrote:

> And Bettmans letter finally drew a line in the sand for the Yotes. No pun

> intended

Yes, it sounds like this could really be the end for the Coyotes. Once the season ends, we could see another scenario like Atlanta. Quebec is in the best position to take a team on s*h*o*r*t notice. Now we will see how important the conference alignment issue is...

Yup Quebec is the only NHL ready venue. The ? is which team in the East will move over to the West You got it the Red Wings. The currency thing can be worked out. Problem solved.

top cat wrote:

> The ? is which team in the East will move over to the West You got it the Red Wings.

Not necessarily. Another option that could happen is to have the Quebec Coyotes play in the Central Division temporarily. The NHL is counting on being able to move to Seattle at some point. If they feel that could happen in the next few years, they could move the next relocation team from the East to Seattle and then Quebec would play in the East.

This scenario is just one of many possibilities. There are a lot of conflicting interests at odds with each other. Conference alignment, currency exchange rates, arena construction, television contracts, etc. are all involved in trying to determine the **ture of the league.

Markie , the broken record states: "Without the renovations the Xl will be closed. Then downtown will be dead for sure" Again, why would it be the end of the XL? ahl, uconn basketball, hockey, concerts, circus, monster trucks etc.. So markie wants to spend big $ which the state doesn't have for a dream with NO concrete sign of a NHL return. Get a contract signed and go from there. Howie Baldwin is a street hustler and NO he has no $ BS yes $ No. And the Gov. is a bit like Da Donald He makes $ h i t up then changes it to something else. Is that the connection that markie has? Is he hooked on BS? I say YES he is.

"Markie , the broken record states: "Without the renovations the Xl will be closed"

Those aren't my words, *****hat. That sentence came directly from Malloy at his XL Press Conference a few weeks back.

Monizzle145 wrote:

> Malloy is no different than trump. Alternative Facts and imaginary

> investment groups with no names or specific people at the forefront.

>

> During this Raiders situation to go to vegas actual banks revealed their

> names and big name investors were mentioned in person. Since things have

> gotten worse actual names and actual banks were named and backed out of it.

>

>

> During malloys tenure everything has been hearsay and rumors.

Don't compare my President to that moron who is running Connecticut into the ground. Malloy is a tax and spend liberal...

You can't pin it on Malloy for not announcing the investment groups name. The state is clearly following the NHLs handbook on this. If the XL doesn't get redone and closed as more systems begin to fail then there is zero point to announcing the groups name. There's a time and now is not that time. Why? I don't know?

Whalevolution wrote:

> You can't pin it on Malloy for not announcing the investment groups name.

> The state is clearly following the NHLs handbook on this. If the XL

> doesn't get redone and closed as more systems begin to fail then there is

> zero point to announcing the groups name. There's a time and now is not

> that time. Why? I don't know?

You do know...it's for the reason you just said. Why say who the investment group is if the legislature doesn't p***** the money for the renovations.

Because if they announced the group that was trying to bring the NHL here this would be an easier sell. Keeping everything secret is not the NHL's blueprint. It wasn't in Winnipeg and it wasn't in Vegas. If there is a group now would be the time for then to step out of the shadows.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> You do know...it's for the reason you just said. Why say who the investment group

> is if the legislature doesn't p***** the money for the renovations.

will5059 wrote:

> Because if they announced the group that was trying to bring the NHL here

> this would be an easier sell. Keeping everything secret is not the NHL's

> blueprint. It wasn't in Winnipeg and it wasn't in Vegas. If there is a

> group now would be the time for then to step out of the shadows.

Agreed. If you want public support for the XL renovations, people need to believe there is a real chance that the NHL would come back. Most people are not going to want to pay $250 million for an arena for UConn and the WolfPack. Other events can use other venues, so the only real reason for these renovations are for the NHL. If people don't believe that could happen, they won't support the renovations.

Speaking for myself, I haven't been to the XL Center since 1997. So for 20 years, it hasn't mattered to me if the XL was there or not. Without an NHL team, it won't matter to me in the **ture either. I don't think I'm the only one in this situation, do you?

"Speaking for myself, I haven't been to the XL Center since 1997. So for 20 years, it hasn't mattered to me if the XL was there or not. Without an NHL team, it won't matter to me in the **ture either. I don't think I'm the only one in this situation, do you?"

And this is the exact thought process that brings Connecticut down. The "I don't use it, so who gives a crap if anybody else does" thought process.

I don't use Quinnipiac's building...you don't see me complaining about it, though.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> "Speaking for myself, I haven't been to the XL Center since 1997. So

> for 20 years, it hasn't mattered to me if the XL was there or not. Without

> an NHL team, it won't matter to me in the **ture either. I don't think I'm

> the only one in this situation, do you?"

>

> And this is the exact thought process that brings Connecticut down. The

> "I don't use it, so who gives a crap if anybody else does"

> thought process.

>

> I don't use Quinnipiac's building...you don't see me complaining about it,

> though.

Did Quinnipiac demand that you pay for their building? I don't think so.

If the renovations were being paid with private **nds, I'd be all for it. But using taxpayer money from everyone in the state to pay for this is just wrong.

I don't have kids, but I understand the need to pay for education. That's a need rather than a want. A sports arena is a want, a luxury item that we can't afford unless it makes economic sense. An NHL team has a large enough impact to make it worthwhile. Neither UConn nor the WolfPack can say that.