Sign in to follow this  
WhalerChad

Islanders looking at new arena next to Belmont Park

brettg1313 wrote:

> Malloy needs to take advantage of this opportunity and really pitch Hartford as a

> destination for them, and how the Islanders that they will have a whole market to

> themselves!!!!

>

>

> Whalevolution wrote:

> > Just heard Islanders owners will be meeting with Malloy this week.

> >

> > I'm sure it's a weighing options moment for the Isles but they at least are

> > taking Hartford seriously.

The issue is If malloy doesn't have an extra 100 million minimum in his pocket as bribe money whatever he said will be ignored. The amount of money the Islanders could lose just by opting out of their MSG deal would be enough for them not to take it seriously.

This "whole market to themselves" logic is flawed. First, there's more money to be made being the 2nd most popular team in NY if the building was in Queens or N*****au County. Secondly anyone who ever went to a Whaler-Bruin or Whaler-Ranger game in the 90's could see that the building had half as many of the road teams fans. I swear this board thinks of new ways to trick themselves that Hartford has a competitive advantage in areas is obviously does not on a daily basis.

Once again will has it right. That's is why I've posted on many occasions that the civic center was close to 50 % nyr or boston bruin fans which was great for the Whaler's coffers but not wonder**l for the Whalers environment and fan safety. THAT IS exactly why the bruins and rangers were and still are hated by older Whaler fans. It was never the Montreal Canadiens. markie boy has this hatred for the Habs because they won a little more often against us than ny or boston. His other weak pt. is that the Whalers played more post season games against Mont. than the other 2. Well markie boston and montreal were both in our Div. And the better teams got to play against the weaker teams that made the playoffs and Mont. was usually the better team. And that's the way it works in ALL sports. And this guy calls people idiots because they disagree with his form of his reality. Goalie interference, criteria for judging the better team on the ice sometimes regardless of the final score is over his head. As is his ridiculous "Set Plays" I listed several things that are done when on offense. The all pretty much do the same moves or my word "procedures. The have done them since they were kids. Never ever has markie given in on any topic or person he had disagreements with. As for his mother teressa work, well that's what people do for their elderly ill parents. I did it for both my mom and dad. If you haven't had to do that you will.

"THAT IS exactly why the bruins and rangers were and still are hated by older Whaler fans. It was never the Montreal Canadiens. markie boy has this hatred for the Habs because they won a little more often against us than ny or boston. His other weak pt. is that the Whalers played more post season games against Mont. than the other 2. Well markie boston and montreal were both in our Div. And the better teams got to play against the weaker teams that made the playoffs and Mont. was usually the better team."

As usual, you don't know what the he!! you're talking about.

The Canadiens ALWAYS beat us. Beat us in the regular season. Do you even have a clue about the Whalers run of **tility in the old Montreal Forum? Always beat us in the playoffs. 1980. 1986. 1988. 1989. 1992. Two of those in the most heartbreaking, excruciating fashion imaginable...Overtime, on the road, game 7. The Rangers were never a rival. There wasn't a single time in the years the Whalers were here where people got all pumped up for a Whalers/Rangers game. Well, except for morons like you. I don't give a crap how many fans were in the seats (in case you haven't noticed, Rangers fans travel very well to all arenas, but since your head is too far up your own a$$, my guess is you don't have a clue about that either). Also, back in those days in the mid 1980s, the top 4 in each division made the playoffs. Period. So the Whalers COULDN'T play the Rangers until a conference final. Tell me, dip$hit...why do you think Montreal and Boston hate each other so much? Because they ALWAYS met in the playoffs, that's why.

Your continued stupidity continues to amuse me. Go hump a tree.

One more time markie , The better team plays the worse team in the playoffs. That's in basketball, baseball football and hockey' that holds for both college and the pros. So take a guess which team had more pts and which team had the fewest pts. in the regular season. So if you have a problem with that senorio call the NHL Board of Directors. Now go get your uconn pom poms and shake sister shake

I'm convinced that you are past stupid, immature, thin skinned, narrow minded and incompetent in all your endeavors ie your running the HWBC You couldn't run a cub scout meeting. I must admit you did take over the "village idiot's" position. Congrats!!!!

"I'm convinced that you are past stupid, immature, thin skinned, narrow minded and incompetent in all your endeavors ie your running the HWBC You couldn't run a cub scout meeting"

I don't run the HWBC. I'm guessing you haven't either. I've talked to long standing members of the club...and they've all said at one point or another that they do not recall a member ever moving from CT to Vermont. And we're talking about members that have been in the club pretty much since day one.

"I must admit you did take over the "village idiot's" position. Congrats!!!!"

Says the person that thinks there's no set plays in hockey. Again, your stupidity is amusing. Go hump a tree.

In ToolCat's eyes, I'm "weird" because...

1) I want better for my city than what we currently have

2) I want my arena to be renovated because the alternative is closure, as quoted by the Governor

3) I have called ToolCat out as a complete fraud for his BS about living in Hartford and being a founding member of the booster club

4) I have challenged his "knowledge" of the wonder**l sport of hockey because he insists there are no set plays, even though that has been proven time and again to be a complete bunch of garbage.

Look, I'm not apologizing for wanting better for Hartford, or for Connecticut. And it's not my fault your story has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Go seek help, loser Habs fan. You need it a he!! of a lot more than I do.

All the holes are in your head.,"Set" plays would be impossible because of the speed of the game and Players position on the ice is in constant flux. Your whole problem is with the word "SET". Refer to a comprehensive dictionary and or thesaurus PLEASE!. Again Bob Neumier, the early play by play announcer who grew up in the Boston area was well schooled with the sport since childhood was on the Dean's sports call in show and some know nothing about hockey called in and asked Bob if there are "SET plays in Hockey. His answer was NO. I believe that it's only you and metoo who have a problem with this concept. I even gave you the benefit of the doubt by care**lly explaining how you could con**se basic procedures applied during a game. I even listed some of them ALL HOCKEY PLAYERS use these procedures and have been since before Juniors. AS for "If Hartford doesn't get the Renovations the XL will close" YOU used that Quote to **rther your dream of the NHL returning. If you use a quote to make your argument you believe that quote. Not many on board with that either. Mark do everyone on this board a huge favor get rid of your angry vendetta get even behaviors and don't take every thing personally. You Seem to have the same personality deficit as donald. He like you go off the deep end when call out or criticized. That's a serious problem.

Bob Neumeier? Really? A guy that hasn't called a hockey game in over 30 years is your source?

What a moron.

"AS for "If Hartford doesn't get the Renovations the XL will close"

Yes. I believe that. The governor.....let me spell that out for you...the G-O-V-E-R-N-O-R said as much. Mike Friemuth (head of the CRDA) has said as much. Other political figures have said as much. So yes, I believe it.

"Mark do everyone on this board a huge favor get rid of your angry vendetta get even behaviors and don't take every thing personally."

TopTwat, do everyone on this board a favor and go f**k yourself.

Now, I might be a teen, but a team is a failure if 50% of the other team fans show up? Sorry doesn't wash...Tampa has lots of families who moved from Boston, New York City area, Philadelphia, Detroit, St Louis and when their old hometown team go and play against the Lightning, they wear their old team shirts..when the Canes come here, people do comment on my Whalers gear...

MarkH2919 wrote:

> Yes. I believe that. The governor.....let me spell that out for you...the

> G-O-V-E-R-N-O-R said as much. Mike Friemuth (head of the CRDA) has said as

> much. Other political figures have said as much. So yes, I believe it.

Hahaha. At best you should only believe half of what comes out of a politicians mouth. In the case of our stammering, dyslexic governor, you should probably take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Message fell on deaf ears. This guy thought and still does that Howie Baldwin was @ still is on the level. "WADA YA GONNA DO" as they used to say in my old Italian neighborhood in Hartford"s South End. Markie markie you seem out of control. Now I'm serious about this, there's a Phd professor in a Ivy School who is an expert in Philosophy and Psychology and the self practice of TM. His name is Jack Kornfield. His books are clearly written and short. Good Luck TC

"At best you should only believe half of what comes out of a politicians mouth. In the case of our stammering, dyslexic governor, you should probably take everything he says with a grain of salt."

So you don't want to spend $250M for a renovated XL with the possibility of the NHL, but you have no problem spending money to keep the old barn open as is? Really?

"This guy thought and still does that Howie Baldwin was @ still is on the level"

What the F does that have to do with this conversation, moron?

MarkH2919 wrote:

> "At best you should only believe half of what comes out of a

> politicians mouth. In the case of our stammering, dyslexic governor, you

> should probably take everything he says with a grain of salt."

>

> So you don't want to spend $250M for a renovated XL with the possibility of

> the NHL, but you have no problem spending money to keep the old barn open

> as is? Really?

All I said was citing that multiple politicians said it so it must be so is silly. This whole thing is fishy. The state has spent $40 million on the XL over the past few years. I realize Malloy says it needs to be renovated or demolished. I'm not sure if I believe him entirely. I've also made it very clear that I think it is foolish to spend this kind of money without a long term commitment from an NHL team or at least an AHL team. 17000 seats for 30 UCONN games a year that don't sell out as it is is nonsense. I would like to think they are smarter than that but every time I hear Malloy bumble through an interview or press conference I fear more and more that he is actually that naive. There is no way this building sees 300 events a year without hockey.

"All I said was citing that multiple politicians said it so it must be so is silly"

It's not silly when it's their call. The politicians are going to determine whether the building stays open or not, since it's run by the state, then the state pays Spectra to run the building for them. If the politicians ultimately decide not to spend the money, then at that point, there would be zero reason to continue to put in money to fix the myriad of problems that the building has, and will continue to have if you don't renovate now.

"I've also made it very clear that I think it is foolish to spend this kind of money without a long term commitment from an NHL team or at least an AHL team. 17000 seats for 30 UCONN games a year that don't sell out as it is is nonsense"

So, again, the alternative, according to the politicians, including Malloy, Friemuth, and others, is to close the building. Whether you believe it or not, they have made it abundantly clear that waiting a few more years isn't the way they're going to go. It's renovate, or begin preparations to close the building. No other option exists, and considering the myriad of issues the building has...it's pretty hard not to believe them when they say it.

To put it another way...it is of my opinion that in 5 years we will either have a renovated XL Center, with 17,000 seats for hockey, roughly 18,000 for basketball, and roughly 19,000 for concerts...or the XL Center will be closed and either demolished or waiting for it's date with the wrecking ball.

!7,000 for hockey !8,000 for basketball, 19,000 for concerts Really???? markie, markie, There's no solid information that a NHL, NBA, or UConn drawing 18,000 for basketball at least not in the near **ture. If this supper reno does happen, it will be the second largest "White Elephant" since that original Civic Center building innovation. Now go draw-up some hockey plays and send them to Ronnie Francis

!7,000 for hockey !8,000 for basketball, 19,000 for concerts Really???? markie, markie, There's no solid information that a NHL, NBA, or UConn drawing 18,000 for basketball at least not in the near **ture. If this supper reno does happen, it will be the second largest "White Elephant" since that original Civic Center building innovation. Now go draw-up some hockey plays and send them to Ronnie Francis

I don't see why they would tear it down. I **rther believe that the statement was an empty threat. Didn't they spend several million on some minor renovations? So you saying that the existing building with it's up grades which were done a couple years ago is not good enough for the ahl, uconn, concerts, circuses, ice capades, monster trucks, or any other events that are not major league ie NHL NBA? Nobody agrees with you. For 52plus MILLION there better be a major league coming in sign & sealed. I'll say this again "where there's large amounts of government $$ being spent on an unnecessary structure, payoffs are often a part of that." SO markie, if no NHL or NBA you support a 52 plus million renovation for what I just listed ??? You must be out of your mind. Now go down to your office in the cellar draw up some hockey SET plays and send them to Ron Francis. He may send you a Caines hat and Tshirt.

They would tear it down because the cost to replace the stuff that constantly breaks is too expensive. How the he!! many times do I have to explain this to you????

Let me ask you...for a state that has a big deficit...one that's not going to get any better anytime soon...you really think the best plan is to (a) not spend the $250M and (b) continue to try to replace whatever breaks at expensive prices??? That's beyond idiotic, even for you.

Malloy has said it. Friemuth has said it...and he has said it to XL Center employees...and no, I don't mean the nacho guy. If the state doesn't approve the renovations, the CRDA will begin preparations to close the building. If you think it's an idle threat...that's fine, I don't think it is at all. Too many people that are not connected saying the same thing. I've even heard it from people with businesses around the XL Center.

So, what is this $52M number you're talking about??? Or is that just something you pulled out of your a$$....as usual.....

Not talking about "STUFF" that keeps breaking down. Start with the enlargement of the seating capacity. Enlarge ment for WHO????? That's what you adversaries are talking about. As for stuff breaking down, that's pretty vague is it not. Besides the chiller what are you talking about. Every building in the F&&%$ing world needs maintenance. It's on going. I think this board is a bit tired of you calling members "Idiots and Morons". Get some help