Sign in to follow this  
WhalerChad

Islanders looking at new arena next to Belmont Park

Yes, they are doing all of that. You and maybe your Dad too need to read the CRDA plan. Doesn't sound like you guys understand what's happening.

The reason for 18k seats as I've said before is because concerts are a big money grab, also 18k allows Hartford to capitalize on tournaments. Also why they needed additional locker rooms to host more teams in a tournament.

18k can allow them to host Girls and Boys NCAA tournaments.

Also the building needs a second Concourse as concession and bathrooms are overrun when they have large crowds. When the roof collapsed 5k seats were added but the amenities weee never upgraded for those additional seats. In other words you aren't maximizing the building's potential revenue streams and to boot we've been ignoring that for 37 years. How long do the taxpayers need to wait before they can get that extra revenue ?

We've read the plan.

Smaller venue does not stop Xl from making big money grab on concerts. Smaller capacity makes for scarcity of tix for any individual show which drives up demand which means tix price point can be higher.

18,000 is understandable if they think they are going to be in running for NCAA tourney on regular basis. How often do they think they are going to land NCAA rounds? Do they really think they are going to be hosting NCAA round every year? Maybe, but that is aw**lly aggressive cycle. Other city's want to host Ncaa too.

No question things get tight on concourse now. But is current reno plan ONLY way to alleviate bottlenecks, or could architects go back to drawing boards and come up with solution that addresses issue within budget below $250 million?

How much do taxpayers have to spend during tough economic time in order to maximize revenue streams? Is maximizing revenue guaranteed? I would love for NHL team to come back after reno because you would think NHl team in building would be maximum maximization of revenue, right? But how much of revenue is state of Ct going to have to turn right back over to Nhl team? Would team get sweetheart rent deal or pay no rent at all, which would cut into amount of revenue state gets. How big share of concessions would Nhl team get? How much revenue from non Nhl events would Nhl team get? Maximizing revenue streams is great but who are we maximizing them for? This is where secrecy about deal for Nhl team with secret Nhl investors is not good for public.

And if Nhl team doesn't come back how will that impact maximizing of revenue streams?

The XL will be profitable just obviously more profitable with the NHL.

Don't forget you already saved 250M by having SCI find a way to use the existing building and foot print. New arena would be half a billion dollars. We can't afford to take on that much expense.

MarkH2919 wrote: Also, don't forget the $250M is coming out over a 4 year span, not all at once.

I know. But interest still has to be paid on debt on the bonds. And it still does not look good to public that during tough economic times for state of Ct, when cities and towns are being asked to tighten belts and get less in essential services, that governor is making the spending of $250 million on entertainment venue a priority in his budget. For me it drives me crazy that governor couldn't match M*****achusetts & Boston combined $145 million in grants and property tax breaks to keep GE headquarters and 800 jobs in Ct, but he is willing to spend $250 million on renovation of entertainment venue. He is willing to spend $250 million on arena that employs mostly part time lower wage jobs and supports mostly part time lower wage jobs at nearby restaurants and bars but he wouldn't match $145 million that would have kept 800 **ll time big $$$ professional jobs in Ct. Don't get me wrong. I know the part time jobs are important. But do they really return as much to Ct economy as 800 big $$$ jobs at GE? I don't get what Malloy is thinking sometimes.

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote:

> I have to say that I keep reading your above post and really it seems you

> do contradict yourself a lot Chas and dad.. giving money to those companies

> would be the same concept to what you oppose for the arena

Malloy is ****bent on spending $250 million to renovate Xl center. Largest part of economic impact generated by renovated Xl center is going to be in form of part time low wage jobs in arena (concessions, ticket takers, ushers, janitorial staff, etc) and in restaurants and bars downtown (wait staff, bar staff, kitchen staff). If deal Ct signs with potential Nhl team is anything like deals most states and cities give pro sports teams (low or no rent, 100% of sports related revenue, most of concession revenue, most of naming rights revenue, revenue from non-sports events, etc) then very little of money from arena is going to make it to state. Even less if state ends up letting team manage arena. Most players on team will live else where in off season and pay taxes where they live. Don't get me wrong. Part time jobs are good for city, but are they worth a $250 million investment of state $$$?

GE could have been had for $145 million in grants and tax credits if deal in M*****achusetts is indication. That's $105 million less than Mallory wants to spend on Xl center reno. In return Ct would have kept 200 GE executive jobs. CT would have had 600 other project manager and developer jobs. 800 **ll time high paying jobs .

Government investment in private businesses through things like grants and tax breaks and things like that have to be decided on what state is going to get back. Sure seems to me that Ct would get more back out spending $145 million on 800 **ll time big $$$ tech jobs at GE then out of spending $250 million on a bunch of part time low wage arena and restaurant and bar jobs.

With a renovated arena Hartford wins, not ge.. more people means more mo yes.. plus more people would want to open business downtown which would create more revenue for the city and state.. and you would be adding more jobs.

top cat wrote:

> I don't think selling beer and hotdogs are real jobs.

Well they are real jobs to people here

when the Goats came their was a line for applications to service jobs. Thousands showed up.

Plus jobs for management of the team, the arena, new shops and restaurants yada yada yada

1000 hotdog beer sales jobs is a little of an obtuse dissection of the labor impact of the XL remodel.

Whalevolution wrote: 1000 hotdog beer sales jobs is a little of an obtuse dissection of the labor impact of the XL remodel.

It is and it isn't. There will be plenty of high paying construction jobs during renovation period and that is nothing to turn nose up at. But those are going to be temporary. Once the reno is done, those skilled laborers are looking for work on another project. Most of jobs created in Xl center and in downtown neighborhood are going to be service jobs in restaurant industry. Again those are important to people who work them, but they are often part time, pay minimum or low wage, and may or may not have benefits. Some front office people will get hired by Nhl team because some staff may not be willing to relocate from current market. But most of team staff including front office is going to come to Hartford with team. Yes, they will now pay taxes in Ct, so that is good. Bottom line on how good deal is for Ct and Hartford economy is going to depend on how much of renovation cost State can get Nhl owners to commit to paying up front or reimbursing later, and also what Nhl team pays for rent and how much of the revenue generated in building Nhl team gets to keep and how many tax breaks team is given. If team doesn't pay for any of reno, gets a low or no rent deal to use Xl center, ends up controlling most of revenue streams including non Nhl revenue, and gets a ton of tax breaks... that will be a BAD deal for state of Ct and city of Hartford. Governor and general *****embly have to be tough and shrewd negotiators.

top cat wrote:

> I don't think selling beer and hotdogs are real jobs.

You don't? They are real jobs to teens. It is entry level jobs, stepping stones for teens to learn about work experience, learning about taxes and money and learning about working with others. No, it shouldn't be a real job for a 40 year old.