Sign in to follow this  
p4277

Too Bad All Team Owners Don't Feel This Way

Just maybe this country is so intoxicated with pro sports that owners demand that the public pay the whole tab and they get away with it. This will be their demand or is their demand to have you CT citizens pay for this huge reno with NO Guarantee of a big league team moving here. Mark and Evo are being on board with this is sad. And they have the MOXIE to call us rational people "Hartford Haters". I as you know do not have a dog in this fight,

As I understand it the Raiders current venue is a mess. Apparently sewage went into the dugouts of the A's one summer.

I don't know if they asked for a new facility and were denied but I certainly can totally understand why they want to leave, they left once already. Sounds like Vegas wants to give them a state of the art facility. I hope they stay in Oakland but won't be surprised if they bail.

Similar to Solomon who asked that the city correct the flooding issue in NB. The city said ** and now he has moved the team to Hartford. Both sides can take whatever stand they want but whether you let the team leave or you provide a modern facility there are consequences.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

Ronnie Lott spearheaded a plan and got together financing and have a shovel ready lot in Oakland. The city presented the plan to the NFL and it fell on deaf ears. The reason fora this? Simple, the Vegas plan has more taxpayer money in it. Now, other billionaire owners can hold their city over a barrel and say: "I'm only asking for the same deal Vegas gave." This was about setting a precedent. Nothing more. It never had to come to this. The league washed away an iconic team to get into bed with vegas. To think they are banking on people from Oakland making regular flights to Vegas to help fill the stadium. If you thought Barclay's was a joke then saddle up for this *****-show.

I don't know what to think this of this. Don't like teams moving at all but it's becoming more common like players. Once they never moved too.

I think the NHL just got upstaged at the dance by the prom queen.

And I can't see either of these teams having nothing but tens of thousands of new tourists each game. Who have no emotional buy in.

The real crazy part of the Raiders plan is that they will play two more years in Oakland while the stadium is being built in Las Vegas. Two lame-duck years could be home games in an empty echo chamber for the Raiders. If you want cheap NFL tickets, Oakland is the place to be...

TC, as has been said over and over again, the alternative is closing the XL Center. I don't want the XL closed.

As for the rest of the posts, I'll repeat what I said before. If you want to sit at the table with the pro sports leagues, you have to play by their rules.

p4277 wrote:

> The real crazy part of the Raiders plan is that they will play two more

> years in Oakland while the stadium is being built in Las Vegas. Two

> lame-duck years could be home games in an empty echo chamber for the

> Raiders. If you want cheap NFL tickets, Oakland is the place to be...

PK announced the Whalers were leaving with one more year on the lease. Rowland could have forced PK to play a lame duck season in Hartford.

I've always thought PK slid some money to Rowland to let him out of the lease early. And I don't mean the 20m over 20 years.

Rowland stole 41 more Whaler games from us what a douche!

Whalevolution wrote:

>

> PK announced the Whalers were leaving with one more year on the lease. Rowland could

> have forced PK to play a lame duck season in Hartford.

>

> I've always thought PK slid some money to Rowland to let him out of the lease early.

> And I don't mean the 20m over 20 years.

>

> Rowland stole 41 more Whaler games from us what a douche!

It wouldn't surprise me or anyone else if PK paid off Rowland to let him out early.

But with hindsight, a lame duck season would have been horrible. We would still be living with the legacy of a whole season of an almost empty arena. The only games with decent crowds would have been NY and Boston. They would have seemed like home games for the Rangers and Bruins.

"But with hindsight, a lame duck season would have been horrible. We would still be living with the legacy of a whole season of an almost empty arena. The only games with decent crowds would have been NY and Boston. They would have seemed like home games for the Rangers and Bruins."

I agree with this 100%. That last 2-3 weeks of the 1996/1997 season was pure torture after the news broke they were leaving, imagine going through an entire season like that? No thanks.

p4277 wrote:

> Whalevolution wrote:

> >

> > PK announced the Whalers were leaving with one more year on the lease. Rowland

> could

> > have forced PK to play a lame duck season in Hartford.

> >

> > I've always thought PK slid some money to Rowland to let him out of the lease

> early.

> > And I don't mean the 20m over 20 years.

> >

> > Rowland stole 41 more Whaler games from us what a douche!

>

> It wouldn't surprise me or anyone else if PK paid off Rowland to let him out early.

>

> But with hindsight, a lame duck season would have been horrible. We would still be

> living with the legacy of a whole season of an almost empty arena. The only games

> with decent crowds would have been NY and Boston. They would have seemed like home

> games for the Rangers and Bruins.

I think a final season attendance would be debatable onwhether it would be high or low. Obviously there would be attempts to save the team even though they would have been fruitless endeavors.

But me personally I would have taken another 41 games in a heartbeat. I'd take the Islanders for a year or two knowing they're leaving an I bet attendance would be high just to see real hockey again.

Whalevolution wrote:

> I think a final season attendance would be debatable onwhether it would be high or

> low. Obviously there would be attempts to save the team even though they would have

> been fruitless endeavors.

>

> But me personally I would have taken another 41 games in a heartbeat. I'd take the

> Islanders for a year or two knowing they're leaving an I bet attendance would be high

> just to see real hockey again.

We'll never know for sure what would have happened if the Whalers had played the last season of their lease after announcing they were leaving. I think it would have been a disaster, but who really knows? The last game would have been a sellout though.

If the Islanders came here temporarily, (what is the chance of this?), it would be a different scenario. We would know from the beginning that it is a temporary thing, they would still be known as the New York Islanders, and their fans might make the trip to see them. So attendance might be pretty good.

Thank God my team is one of the original 6 and will never ever move. And it's only a one hour twenty min. drive. Now that's comfort. It's great to be a "TRAITOR and HARTFORD HATER. GO HABS GO!!!!!

I don't know anything for sure but I think a temp Islander home for two or three seasons is less likely than an NHL team even moving to Hartford permanently.

Just my guess but who the **** knows.

TC nothing wrong with moving on some do some didn't and I don't think there is a right or wrong to it. Relocation blows but all the same time I am hoping and I am relying on it.

I don't agree with your belief concerning the Grand Reno. But I must say you do keep your composer even when I went on the offensive concerning your writing and your belief that there will be a NHL return. That being said, perhaps you can help lil markie with his 13 yr old personality. I don't know who's more weird jersey or mark. I have close friends who moved on and became Bruin fans I accept that and there is Nothing wrong with moving on or in my case also moving OUT. He didn't get the Hyperbole Oh well.

There is nothing wrong with moving on.

But there's plenty wrong with moving on to teams that used to give the Whalers nightmares. And that's exactly what you did.

Traitor.

Yea I could never move on to Bruins or Montreal and now especially the Rangers

But I get it.

Where can TC go to see Hockey he's closer to Habsville than Beantown? Talk about rough choices

I never went anywhere just never took to any team I gave it a few tries

Gun to my head I would follow the Flyers

I follow Carolina, but not nearly with the same p*****ion or enthusiasm I did when they were here.

And, IF or WHEN the Whalers return, I'd drop the Canes like TC drops his drawers at the sight of the first maple syrup drippings. :D

Beantown is 3 and a half hours away, montreal is 1 and 20 min.,I never got in a fight or a battle of words with Habs fans, Montreal is more **n by far than Boston and safer too, better $ exchange, Want me to keep going?

top cat wrote:

> Beantown is 3 and a half hours away, montreal is 1 and 20 min.,I never got

> in a fight or a battle of words with Habs fans, Montreal is more **n by far

> than Boston and safer too, better $ exchange, Want me to keep going?

**** no, it's Bruins.

Does Michigan need to hear reasons not to go to a Ohio St game?

"Don't bother. A nuclear bomb couldn't break their delusions."

What does this even mean? Are you saying I'm delusional for calling TC a traitor?