Sign in to follow this  
brettg1313

Hartford to host 2019 NCAA Tournament games!!

the Xl Center will be hosting the 1st and 2nd round games of the 2019 mens NCAA tournament. This going to be great for the city and the businesses, A lot of money and people will be coming to Hartford!!!! this is also good news for the renovations because the only way we could have big events like this is if we do the $250mil renovations. Now the Malloy has some leverage to use with the legislature!!!!

http://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/Press-Room/Press-Releases/2017/04-2017/Gov-Malloy-Statement-on-the-NCAAs-Decision-to-Select-Hartford-to-Host-the-2019-Mens-Basketball

brettg1313 wrote:

> this is also good

> news for the renovations because the only way we could have big events like

> this is if we do the $250mil renovations. Now the Malloy has some leverage

> to use with the legislature

The XL center got these games even though the renovations have not gone through. If anything Malloy has lost leverage. One could say that the faulty elephant doors did not keep the NCAA from placing games at the XL in 2019.

brettg1313 wrote:

> the Xl Center will be hosting the 1st and 2nd round games of the 2019 mens

> NCAA tournament. This going to be great for the city and the businesses, A

> lot of money and people will be coming to Hartford!!!! this is also good

> to use with the legislature!!!!

>

>

>

>

>

> http://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/Press-Room/Press-Releases/2017/04-2017/Gov-Malloy-Statement-on-the-NCAAs-Decision-to-Select-Hartford-to-Host-the-2019-Mens-Basketball

That is an interesting point, I hadn't thought about it, in terms of leverage.

We probably should start working together on finding stuff out.

If anyone comes across an article where they see the NCAA event is contingent on the renovations being done.

-can any of you imagined a nationally televised game with lights BUZZZZZZING?

-gl***** half empty: If the NCAA is coming in 2019 regardless of condition of the XL , then why the need for major renovation at all?

The NCAA would not announce tournament sites 2 years in advance if the were contingent on anything. While the idea is creative it is flawed. If it was contingent on renovations Malloy would have love to put that in bold type in his press release. 1st fact is the XL center will exist in 2019 even though it has noisy light bulbs and the NCAA will host tournament games there with only one concourse and no way of getting the half time show elephant into the building.

So bret thinks a NCAA tournament justifies a Half Billion plus expense? I'm sure NCAA tournaments have been played in venues smaller than 17500 And if not it still is outrageous to carry out this project. I'd bet that if this m*****ive reno doesn't go through the XL will not be torn down. Once again there is no reason in going forth with this white elephant. It's for WHO???? UConn wolf pack circuses ice capades maybe the muppets? FIX THE INFASTRUCTURE. now that will create good jobs and serve the population needs

Remember this reno will be for no one if it isn't done.

One constant is that those who oppose the remodel have zero idea what to do with the XL otherwise.

The AHL could leave

UConn is in the NCAA and they're games ARE contingent on the XL renovations. Uconns letter of intent for a 20 year lease for three teams is Contingent on the XL being renovated. If not kiss all those games good bye.

Can't wait to see those over 60 year old performers and concerts, that'll Pack the place. Lol

It's terrific the NCAA selected Hartford to host 1st/2nd round games in 2019. But, if these renovations aren't approved, it's quite possible this will be the last major event the XL hosts.

Remember, folks...if the renovations don't go through, UConn will need time to either replace Frietas Forum or upgrade it to meet Hockey East standards. That takes time. The CRDA won't close the building until UConn has their building situation on campus figured out.

Of course...you can also look at the NCAA awarding Hartford the 2019 NCAA Tournament another way. Should the renovations get approved (which is still the more likely scenario, despite what certain people here think), the renovations would likely start in the spring/summer of 2018, meaning by the time the NCAA comes in March of 2019, the building could look vastly different than it does now.

No one can ignore this also as Vote of confidence in the renovations. I am certainly willing to bet that the NCAA knows more about Hartford's arena plans than we do.

Simply because there's tens of millions of dollars riding on this upcoming event

What I am saying is if we don't do anything to the arena this very well may be our last big event here. With a decaying arena the NCAA will never look at Hartford again!! Who knows with a XL Center with more seats and renovated we might even be considered for a regional final.

top cat wrote:

> So bret thinks a NCAA tournament justifies a Half Billion plus expense? I'm

> sure NCAA tournaments have been played in venues smaller than 17500 And if

> not it still is outrageous to carry out this project. I'd bet that if this

> m*****ive reno doesn't go through the XL will not be torn down. Once again

> there is no reason in going forth with this white elephant. It's for

> WHO???? UConn wolf pack circuses ice capades maybe the muppets? FIX THE

> INFASTRUCTURE. now that will create good jobs and serve the population

> needs

Whalevolution wrote:

> Simply because there's tens of millions of dollars riding on this upcoming

> event

Please elaborate how there's tens of millions of dollars riding on this?

will5059 wrote:

> Whalevolution wrote:

> > Simply because there's tens of millions of dollars riding on this upcoming

> > event

> Please elaborate how there's tens of millions of dollars riding on this?

The NCAA Tournament

How is there tens of millions riding on the 1st and 2nd round games of the NCAA tournament? IIRC back in '98 the UNC game in Hartford didn't even sell out. I was in high school at the time and for some reason I remember 2 kids that I knew ditched school and drove up to Hartford on the day of the game and were just able to buy tickets at the door. Look I think the exposure is great and all but this is not likely to turn into a yearly occurrence even when the renovations happen. (I feel the reno is happening one way or another, btw) This is the ncaa tournament, not the super bowl.

brettg1313 wrote:

> the Xl Center will be hosting the 1st and 2nd round games of the 2019 mens

> NCAA tournament. This going to be great for the city and the businesses, A

> lot of money and people will be coming to Hartford!!!! this is also good

> to use with the legislature!!!!

>

>

>

>

>

> http://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/Press-Room/Press-Releases/2017/04-2017/Gov-Malloy-Statement-on-the-NCAAs-Decision-to-Select-Hartford-to-Host-the-2019-Mens-Basketball

Oh, basketball? I thought it was for hockey...Tampa is going to host the Frozen Four again soon...

will5059 wrote:

> How is there tens of millions riding on the 1st and 2nd round games of the

> NCAA tournament? IIRC back in '98 the UNC game in Hartford didn't even

> sell out. I was in high school at the time and for some reason I remember 2

> kids that I knew ditched school and drove up to Hartford on the day of the

> game and were just able to buy tickets at the door. Look I think the

> exposure is great and all but this is not likely to turn into a yearly

> occurrence even when the renovations happen. (I feel the reno is happening

> one way or another, btw) This is the ncaa tournament, not the super bowl.

The tournament brings in Billions it's hardly a stretch, and I've never said it would be a yearly occurrence.

A lot of money rides on these games, you have to think about more than just a couple of kids buying tickets

The ncaa tournament is not what it was years ago. College basketball is way over saturated on television and combine that with a million conference tournament games that are all televised and you now have a play-in, 1st and 2nd round that gets little ratings. For Christ's sake Dayton, Ohio hosts 1st and 2nd round games in a under 13,000 seat building. Greensboro NC lost their games last year because they re**sed to let Bruce Jenner sit down to pee in the ladies room. Hosting the Final Four is a big deal. Same goes for elite eight and sweet sixteen games. 1st and 2nd round are on a different planet. It is a positive development but it's not as big of a deal as you guys are making it to be.

Sounds like a difference of opinion but in my opinion 10.2 Billion Dollars is a big deal.

"The American Gaming *****ociation estimates that the number of brackets completed is going to hit 70 million and about $9.2 billion will be gambled on the tournament."

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031516/how-much-does-ncaa-make-march-madness.asp#ixzz4enbydGs9

1 Billion in TV revenue too

Ashttps://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ncaa-tournament-makes-a-lot-of-money-2017-3

In 2012 the NCAA alone made close to a billion.

How many people would be unhappy if the XL had a major sna** during these games where the building couldn't be used? It wouldn't be billions but it would be significant damage to the tourney.

Getting the NCAA Tourney is a good thing, but not a game-changer. The amount of money bet on brackets doesn't go to the cities that host the games. Will hosting the tournament bring some money to Hartford? Of course it will, and that's a good thing. But it doesn't have much relevance to what's going on in Hartford in regards to the XL Center or the possibility of the NHL returning. Hartford was selected without the XL renovations being done or even finalized.

If the plans go forward, they will have to plan the construction work around the tournament. If the plans don't go forward right away, it means that the XL will be around for at least two years despite what some people say about the building closing it's doors. A lot can happen in two years...

"it means that the XL will be around for at least two years despite what some people say about the building closing it's doors."

The CRDA wouldn't close the building until UConn's hockey facility is either upgraded or replaced...and since UConn doesn't seem to be in any hurry to either upgrade or replace Frietas...the XL will be open through 2019, at least.

Whalevolution wrote:

> "The American Gaming *****ociation estimates that the number of brackets

> completed is going to hit 70 million and about $9.2 billion will be gambled

> on the tournament."

>

>

> http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031516/how-much-does-ncaa-make-march-madness.asp#ixzz4enbydGs9

>

>

>

> 1 Billion in TV revenue too

>

>

> Ashttps://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ncaa-tournament-makes-a-lot-of-money-2017-3

>

> In 2012 the NCAA alone made close to a billion.

>

> How many people would be unhappy if the XL had a major sna** during these

> games where the building couldn't be used? It wouldn't be billions but it

> would be significant damage to the tourney.

I see where you're coming from now. I wouldn't include gambling money in my figures but ok. Yes, a ton of money is gambled on the tournament. Legally and illegally. Having early round games is a positive. Not as good as later round games, when alumni are more likely to spend money on tickets and travel accommodations but still a score. Saying the NCAA as a whole is a multi billion dollar TV property is true. Saying early round tournament games are not as highly rated or attended as later round games is also true. After the renovations I think having the Frozen Four in Hartford should be a priority. Not regional round games, they already have those in Bridgeport and they don't carry the same weight.

will5059 wrote:

> The ncaa tournament is not what it was years ago. College basketball is way

> over saturated on television and combine that with a million conference

> tournament games that are all televised and you now have a play-in, 1st and

> 2nd round that gets little ratings. For Christ's sake Dayton, Ohio hosts

> 1st and 2nd round games in a under 13,000 seat building. Greensboro NC lost

> their games last year because they re**sed to let Bruce Jenner sit down to

> pee in the ladies room. Hosting the Final Four is a big deal. Same goes for

> elite eight and sweet sixteen games. 1st and 2nd round are on a different

> planet. It is a positive development but it's not as big of a deal as you

> guys are making it to be.

Agreed it isn't the sweet 16 weekend (just was at the KC midwest regional last month). But i think the lack of enthusiasm for the opening rounds will benefit Hartford getting a chance to get first and 2nd rounds.

will5059 wrote:

> How is there tens of millions riding on the 1st and 2nd round games of the

> NCAA tournament? IIRC back in '98 the UNC game in Hartford didn't even

> sell out. I was in high school at the time and for some reason I remember 2

> kids that I knew ditched school and drove up to Hartford on the day of the

> game and were just able to buy tickets at the door. Look I think the

> exposure is great and all but this is not likely to turn into a yearly

> occurrence even when the renovations happen. (I feel the reno is happening

> one way or another, btw) This is the ncaa tournament, not the super bowl.

The NCAA has a contingency for Cincinnati

http://arenadigest.com/2017/04/20/proposal-tear-down-u-s-bank-arena-build-new-venue/

We'll see if there is one for Hartford but no one has said so