TimmyFromBoosters

XL Center Renovations approved in Committee, right on time

55 posts in this topic

Things are going just as planned this week, with the XL Center Renovations being approved. The committee has now approved $40 million for year 2018 and $30 million for year 2019, with it now advancing to the **ll house and senate. As expected, this week was the key week, with all of the work that the CDRA and SCI have done, and as I said, this would be a key week for developments.

The good news is, we are still on track for the last week of June which holds a lot of promise.

After June 21, when the NHL unveils the Vegas Golden Knights roster at NHL Awards show at TMobile Arena and June 23 and 24, NHL draft in Chicago, will be the key time for Hartford. The week starting Monday June 26 could be a big week for an announcement in Hartford.

Can't help but notice that the fact that the renovations have been heavily scaled back were not mentioned by "Timmy".

Important to note the original language requested by the Governor, and what was approved coming out of the Committee today. After seeing the recent change, it makes sense why the architects are back in the city this week, the architects recommended by the NHL are here to see if certain upgrades can be trimmed back to meet the cuts made by the Committee.

The original requests as asked by the Governor,

(Effective July 1, 2017) The proceeds of the sale of bonds described in sections 1 to 7, inclusive, of this act, to the extent hereinafter stated, shall be used for the purpose of acquiring, by purchase or condemnation, undertaking, constructing, reconstructing, improving or equipping, or purchasing land or buildings or improving sites for the projects hereinafter described, including payment of architectural, engineering, demolition or related costs in connection therewith, or of payment of the cost of long-range capital programming and space utilization studies as hereinafter stated: Alterations, renovations and improvements, including property acquisition, at the XL Center in Hartford, not exceeding $50,000,000

(Effective July 1, 2018) The proceeds of the sale of bonds described in sections 20 to 26, inclusive, of this act, to the extent hereinafter stated, shall be used for the purpose of acquiring, by purchase or condemnation, undertaking, constructing, reconstructing, improving or equipping, or purchasing land or buildings or improving sites for the projects hereinafter described, including payment of architectural, engineering, demolition or related costs in connection therewith, or of payment of the cost of long-range capital programming and space utilization studies as hereinafter stated: Alterations, renovations and improvements, including property acquisition, at the XL Center in Hartford, not exceeding $75,000,000

will5059 wrote:

> Can't help but notice that the fact that the renovations have been heavily

> scaled back were not mentioned by "Timmy".

Wrong, the amounts to be BONDED have been scaled back, not necessarily the renovations. There was talk in the Committee about a new entertainment tax being placed upon admission at XL Center events, which would bring in additional revenue and therefore the amount BONDED would not have to be as large.

From what I am hearing, is that one of the sticking points will be a m*****ive NHL sized locker room, approaching 14,000 square feet and if that will be deleted from the updated plans, which would be devastating at this point. The average new CVS pharmacy that is built in the country approaches 13,000 square feet, so the NHL sized locker room would be the size of a modern pharmacy which is m*****ive. The club seats seem safe, but the Loge boxes could also be on the chopping block. From what I am hearing, is that if the plans being changed today and tomorrow from walk throughs happening by the architects before the circus events, is that if the m*****ive NHL locker rooms don't fit into updated plans, then the renovated locker rooms from 2014 will remain as is and that they won't be sufficient to draw an NHL team.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> Maybe it's time Will takes Timmy seriously.

I do not. The renovations have been scaled back. He can deny it, that's fine. In the Courant article linked above it stated that a major reason for the lack of support for the Governors initial plan was the lack of evidence that there would be a major league team to justify the expense and fill dates. If there were a team that were going to move here for next season the process would have to be **rther along. A deal in principle would have to be announced by the end of May at the latest and voted on by the board at their meeting which I believe is at the end of June. That's using the Atlanta-Winnipeg time line which is about as close as you can cut it for relocations. So the fact that the reno is being scaled back, and if we take Timmy's info as the truth they are balking at constructing an NHL locker room that leads me to believe there is no team that is ready to move here next year. I am not willing to suspend disbelief and take what someone writes on a message board as fact when it doesn't add up just because I wish it were true. There would be more smoke if there was a team moving here in as soon as 6 weeks.

will5059 wrote:

> I do not. The renovations have been scaled back. He can deny it, that's fine. In the

> Courant article linked above it stated that a major reason for the lack of support

> for the Governors initial plan was the lack of evidence that there would be a major

> league team to justify the expense and fill dates. If there were a team that were

> going to move here for next season the process would have to be **rther along. A deal

> in principle would have to be announced by the end of May at the latest and voted on

> by the board at their meeting which I believe is at the end of June. That's using

> the Atlanta-Winnipeg time line which is about as close as you can cut it for

> relocations. So the fact that the reno is being scaled back, and if we take Timmy's

> info as the truth they are balking at constructing an NHL locker room that leads me

> to believe there is no team that is ready to move here next year. I am not willing to

> suspend disbelief and take what someone writes on a message board as fact when it

> doesn't add up just because I wish it were true. There would be more smoke if there

> was a team moving here in as soon as 6 weeks.

I just find it odd how "Timmy" never posts any links to sources that back up anything he says (true or not).

The Courant is wrong in their reporting. At no point did anyone in state government announce that there will be a scaled back renovation, that is something the Courant *****umed and is trying to report as fact. It was a Bonding Committee that made a decision on Thursday, the Bonding Committee does not make decisions about renovations or building plans or square footage or locker rooms. There was no Big renovation, Medium renovation, or Small renovation that they voted upon on Thursday, it is not a planning and zoning or building commission. There are numerous sources where money can come from for an arena, state bonds, city bonds, private bonds, agreements with UConn, admission taxes, ticket revenue, usage fees... just because one source of **nding doesn't provide as much money during an initial two year time span as previously anticipated, does not mean the renovation is being scaled back, that is something that the Courant made up.

I agree on some of it

The money is scaled back but to scale back the plan would require redrafts and time

40M this year if it p*****es maybe enough to keep the ball rolling on making a near NHL arena.

But it definitely isn't good news that they are asking for more of a breakout. Shows lack of confidence in the proposal being p*****ed.

Watch the Fox 61 report this morning they said it was a move forward towards renovation. They didn't make it sound like a fail

If you people honestly think they won't build a locker room large enough to suit the NHL, you're absolutely bonkers.

From what I am now hearing, there is much anger about the reporting and a retraction could come this weekend as others are now reporting on this story, and are using the Courant's story as their source for reporting, but the Courant story is completely wrong. Part of the **nding, that was supposed to take place over the span of 4 years (remember, they only voted yesterday on a recommendation of **nding for the first 2 years, which does not mean that more **nding won't be added for years 3 and 4 when that time comes) was that there would be **nds used to purchase space running from the Hartford 21 entrance driveway down to Church street and that it would also include that atrium and that **nds would be used to purchase vacant retail space. If less **nds are available, it could mean that not all of the vacant retail space would be purchased, which by no means impacts the footprint of the XL Center and it does not necessarily mean there are scaled back renovations to the XL Center, although the atrium part could definitely impact plans. Part of the $250 million price tag plans drafted for the XL Center renovations were not going to the XL Center, it was going to vacant retail space, so the plans for the retail space could be eliminated which does not impact the arena at all. Expecting a retraction on the story...

I think we can say we can see a path but again we'll have to wait to see if true.

Obviously if they p***** some money this year and a team does show legitimate and serious interest it probably won't be hard to p***** more money if there is a commitment and a final reveal on the investors

It's all plausible but we just need some proof and that maybe waiting and time.

I'm sorry I ever doubted Timmy. Seems like he knows what he's talking about.

Still, I'll believe it when it happens.

What I continue to hear is the fallout from the sloppy and false reporting that the Courant conducted about the bonding situation the other day, which the Courant has yet to correct. The main problem with that reporting, is that other towns in the area now are operating under the *****umption that because the Courant is falsely reporting that a scaled back renovation is going to take place, that it means that the **nds not being spent on the **ll scale renovation to the XL Center are now up for grabs and towns and cities want to grab that **nding/bonding.

The main problem with that, is that we are nearing an election where a new Governor will be chosen, and since Joe Ganim (mayor of Bridgeport) wants to shore up support in southern Connecticut and that Ganim now is asking the state for $200 million dollars to fix up the Bridgeport Bluefish baseball stadium and the Arena nextdoor to it where the UConn Women play their Regional tournaments, because people are believing the Courant story where the Courant *****umed there would be a scaled back renovation, even though there are no architectural plans which exist for a scaled back arena, it was something made up by the Courant out of thin air. I am hearing that the people at the State Capitol Building are NOT going to be diverting $200 million to fix up the Bluefish ballpark, because the people at the Capitol know that the Courant report was all false and wrong, but it is the towns and cities around Connecticut that fell for the terrible Courant reporting, because it was the first story on the front page the other day.

This Monday or Tuesday is going to be a key date, I just heard from ex-coworkers that it has been 2 weeks since state taxes were due and enough time has gone by in those 2 weeks for the mail to deliver the taxes to Hartford and for the mail to be opened and inputted, the State is going to provide an updated tax tally for what was collected and that will be announced on Monday or Tuesday.

The developments about Bridgeport now asking for the money that was supposed to go to the XL Center and to take the XL Center **nds and instead spend it on the Webster Arena and Bridgeport baseball stadium, that development just broke on Friday evening, on the heels of the sloppy Courant reporting that led mayors around the state to falsely believe that the XL Center project has been scaled back, when there has been no scaling back of any building plans whatsoever. I am now hearing that the Courant will not be reporting at all about the Bridgeport situation, because the Courant knows that the entire Bridgeport situation is a byproduct of the Courant's false reporting, they have major egg on their face and will avoid reporting entirely about the Bridgeport proposed renovations.

The Courant article contacted Friemuth for comment.

He never declines comment that I've seen.

He declined comment when I asked him.

If the Courant story was completely false I'm pretty sure he would have corrected the author and/or made statements to contradict the Courant bias.

In my opinion it's really weird or really bad that Friemuth declined comment when reached, hard to think this is good news for XL

Freimuth must be boiling mad, he is looking for money for the Convention Center, the XL Center, and to purchase vacant retail space adjoining the XL Center, and the Courant comes along and reports suddenly a few days ago that there is a scaled-down building plan (that no architect on the planet has drafted) and **ture Governor Ganim shows up minutes after that silly report and asks for the $200 or so million not being spent on the XL Center to all be diverted down to Bridgeport for the basketball arena and the Bridgeport baseball stadium. Bridgeport lost the UConn Women's basketball division tournament for the next few years and are looking to make major upgrades,I knew all weekend and today that the Courant would avoid reporting on the Bridgeport story. This could be the last year the Bluefish play in Bridgeport since they are on a 1 year contract in Bridgeport, and some want the Bluefish to leave and to tear down the baseball stadium and create a Meadows like outdoor music venue for people in southern Connecticut to rival that of the Hartford Meadows Xfinity Theatre.

Well, a little bit too late, but in the latest Courant podcast revolving around Hartford improvements, that same Courant reporter spent 20 minutes talking about Hartford and the XL Center and not once this weekend did he mention any talk about a scaled-back or scaled-down renovation in Hartford, seems like he was corrected.

I do believe the plan hasn't been scaled back

That would honestly take time and to my knowledge there was never a plan or development to make a "minor league XL"

I will try to find some news from my usually haunts