Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimmyFromBoosters

Hartford City Councilman: Let's buy the Whalers back

54 posts in this topic

That column was meant for one thing and one thing only...to keep the Whalers and a possible return on everybody's mind and on everybody's lips. No more, no less.

In other words, Evo is correct, as usual. Three public officials have gone out and said they'd like to see it happen. If it was never, ever, ever going to happen...why say anything?

"Maybe for the votes? Malloy's publicity stunt letter to the Islanders was obviously a last ditch effort to boost his image. I guess that didn't work on account he's not seeking reelection now."

Two things...

1) That wasn't "a publicity stunt"

2) I don't think he was ever serious about a 3rd term.

Whalerdude11086 wrote:

> Whalevolution wrote:

> "my point is if the Whalers are never coming back why are three public

> officials making overtures to make it happen????"

>

> Maybe for the votes? Malloy's publicity stunt letter to the Islanders was

> obviously a last ditch effort to boost his image. I guess that didn't work

> on account he's not seeking reelection now.

If he was seeking reelection I could kind of see it. But he's not and it doesn't really get you any points to talk about spending during a crazy budget session.

So why do it? Unless they know they can back it up

Whalevolution wrote: my point is if the Whalers are never coming back why are three public officials making overtures to make it happen????

For governor Malloy this is a last-ditch, "hail mary" attempt to save his reputation. As of now, he is running risk of being remembered as the governor who presided over budget crisis and allowed GE headquarters to move to M*****achusetts. He is a lame-duck desperate to get something right before he is out of office. Even if NHL doesn't come back, he is hoping that if he can just get Xl center renovations done that it will be a plus for his legacy. Desperate times make you do desperate things. Malloy is desperate to save his reputation. He figures that if he can convince general *****embly members to back his Xl center renovation plan by dangling carrot of NHL, then even if NHL doesn't come he still managed to get arena renovated.

For mayor Bronin this is just a political protege being loyal to his political mentor.

For councilman Gale this is just a poorly thought out publicity stunt.

I don't think an elected official would pitch an idea to bring the Whalers back to get votes. Even the best plan in the world is going to be controversial and most likely be a wash between gained votes/lost votes. There is no political gain to stir the pot. As several people have mentioned, this is nothing more than to get people thinking and talking about the Hartford Whalers.

Whalevolution wrote:

> Whalerdude11086 wrote:

> > Whalevolution wrote:

> > "my point is if the Whalers are never coming back why are three public

> > officials making overtures to make it happen????"

> >

> > Maybe for the votes? Malloy's publicity stunt letter to the Islanders was

> > obviously a last ditch effort to boost his image. I guess that didn't work

> > on account he's not seeking reelection now.

>

> If he was seeking reelection I could kind of see it. But he's not and it doesn't

> really get you any points to talk about spending during a crazy budget session.

>

> So why do it? Unless they know they can back it up

What we've been saying all along the Whalers are coming back the city is being revitalized and Biggie is going to hate that Hartford is doing well LOL

Hartford is on the way back. No two ways about it.

Beauti**l new ballpark, with the Yard Goats averaging in the top 10 in all of double-A baseball for attendance. And, unlike Wolfie...er...Timmy, who likes to throw numbers around...I back up what I say. Of the 30 AA teams, the YG are 9th.

The XL Renovations officially get underway in just a couple of weeks with the demolition of the old floor and the installation of new piping and a new chiller system, as well as new boards and gl*****. Now, with the CRDA looking for private investors for the XL renovations...the good times for Hartford are just beginning.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> Hartford is on the way back. No two ways about it.

>

> Beauti**l new ballpark, with the Yard Goats averaging in the top 10 in all

> of double-A baseball for attendance. And, unlike Wolfie...er...Timmy, who

> likes to throw numbers around...I back up what I say. Of the 30 AA teams,

> the YG are 9th.

I mean the Wolf Pack started very high in the AHL in attendance as well so I wouldn't bet on the early season 1st year attendance.

Yard Goat attendance was 2400 last night, the ball park was 60% empty just three weeks after opening day, not a good sign.

"I mean the Wolf Pack started very high in the AHL in attendance as well so I wouldn't bet on the early season 1st year attendance."

Comparing the WolfPack of 20 years ago with the YG of today is like comparing apples and oranges.

Yes, the WolfPack's attendance was good in the early days, but the AHL was not the **lly developmental league it is now, and their affiliate has been an issue with a portion of the fanbase since day one. The YG have an affiliate nobody in this area really cares about one way or the other, and they have a pull that the Pack never had...a brand new ballpark to play in, one that has received nothing but rave reviews from anyone that has been there to this point.

An example of the Goats' success: I tried to buy a couple of box seats for Friday night's game against Erie...the box seats from foul pole to foul pole only have singles left. So I'd expect another **ll house of 6,000+ on Friday night.

"Yard Goat attendance was 2400 last night, the ball park was 60% empty just three weeks after opening day, not a good sign"

So you expect it to be **ll every night? Of course you would, Wolfie. Of course you would...

The Yard Goats hit a new attendance low last night:

attendance so far

April 13, 6850

April 14, 6065

April 15, 5915

April 17, 2935

April 18, 3153

April 20, 3270

April 28, 6351

April 29, 6643

April 30, 5632

May 1, 2564

May 2, 3370

May 3, 4321

May 8, 2461

May 9, tonight…

3rd in the Eastern League in attendance. 9th in all of AA baseball. Those are the facts, Wolfie, and the numbers will only improve once the kids get out of school.

By the way, I see 4 sellouts on there, tell me Wolfie...er...Timmy....when was the last time the WolfPack sold out a game???

The Yard Goats have only had 1 sellout game, Opening Day. Since then, the trend is down, way down, with the ball park being 60% empty last night, only 3 weeks after opening.

MarkH2919 wrote:

> By the way, I see 4 sellouts on there

That doesn't make it a sellout, if it's not, you know, sold out.

It might be hard to buy tickets and near capacity, sure, but that's not a sellout.

TimmyFromBoosters wrote:

> The Yard Goats hit a new attendance low last night:

It's only a low because it's been about 3 weeks, and there hasn't been that long, and yes, generally first games will be sellouts, but beyond that, it will probably be lower the next night, so yes, that would be a "new attendance low" too.

TimmyFromBoosters wrote:

> The Yard Goats have only had 1 sellout game, Opening Day. Since then, the

> trend is down, way down, with the ball park being 60% empty last night,

> only 3 weeks after opening.

Almost as bad as New Britain lol

Last year there average was about 50% capacity.

50% of the stadium was empty for the year and that's without competing with the Goats

"The Yard Goats have only had 1 sellout game, Opening Day. Since then, the trend is down, way down, with the ball park being 60% empty last night, only 3 weeks after opening."

Capacity is listed as 6,056. They've had 4 games draw more than that.

Nice try, Wolfie.

I'm pretty sure that this baseball attendance topic has been discussed. To recapitulate: It's only spring so kids are still in school, the temp is chilly especially at night and it is minor league, there has been many empty seats in the north east for MLB do to the same reasons. Would I support the Goats if I still lived in Greater HArtford? Absolutely! If they're playing during my visit to Hartford I'll be there.

"To recapitulate: It's only spring so kids are still in school, the temp is chilly especially at night and it is minor league, there has been many empty seats in the north east for MLB do to the same reasons."

Yes, we already discussed that, but you forget, Wolfie is a dunce.

Did Wolfie have such a stron anti Goat bias? Don't remember

Whalevolution wrote:

> Did Wolfie have such a stron anti Goat bias? Don't remember

Last time though, remember, he had a strong anti Whaler bias, so he might've completely messed with 'em here. So it's probably not that relevant (and I need an excuse because I don't know :lol: )

"You know it's Wolfie when random numbers are being posted like this."

Those are the game-by-game attendance numbers for the Yard Goats. They're not hard to find, just go on the Eastern League website.

"Did Wolfie have such a stron anti Goat bias? Don't remember"

Sure he did. Remember when they announced the colors and he had a fit? He's pretty much been anti-Goats since that day.