Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimmyFromBoosters

Bridgeport State Rep. Rosario: "We want to get in the game"

92 posts in this topic

will5059 wrote:

> The city of Bridgeport owns Webster bank arena.

That's nice and I am sure the city can handle a 15M dollar upgrade with minimal state *****istance. but this topic isn't relative to anything I said in the previous post.

Timmy said all this Bport stuff, so you ARE taking him seriously now?

Whalevolution wrote:

> will5059 wrote:

> > The city of Bridgeport owns Webster bank arena.

>

> That's nice and I am sure the city can handle a 15M dollar upgrade with minimal state

> *****istance. but this topic isn't relative to anything I said in the previous post.

>

>

> Timmy said all this Bport stuff, so you ARE taking him seriously now?

No. You said you couldn't support the state spending money on a building that isn't publicly owned and I am just informing you that Webster Bank Arena is publicly owned. No big deal. BTW the city put out RFD's for the ballpark so there is no reason to believe any **ture project won't be at least primarily privately **nded. The arena in Bridgeport is turning 20 soon and seeing as how the state just spent $40 million on the XL Center and will most likely spend a fair amount more throwing Bridgeport a bone is not out of line.

There is a difference between being city owned, which is the case in Bridgeport, and state owned, which is the case with the XL Center.

That said, if it's going to cost $15M to "upgrade" WBA (though I have no idea what they'd do to upgrade it), if the city can't swing it, to ask for state help is fine.

Chris Powell just came out an hour ago and reasoned why the XL Center cannot be owned by the city, and why the state must own the XL Center.

Journal Inquirer, Wednesday May 10

Connecticut is running a couple billion dollars short of **nding state government’s budget. As “fixed costs” devour tax revenue faster than it comes in, the state lacks money to maintain infrastructure like highways and schools -- as well as money for the XL Center, formerly the Hartford Civic Center, which needs $250 million in renovations. Hartford’s city government itself is insolvent as well, having just borrowed $50 million to build a minor-league baseball stadium even as a city budget deficit of about the same amount is projected and the mayor is seeking huge concessions from city employee unions and taking millions in emergency donations from insurance companies in the city.

But Hartford City Councilman John Q. Gale proposes adding to the disaster. Writing the other day in the Hartford Courant, Gale urged 38 municipalities in the Hartford area to combine to purchase, for as much as $230 million, the professional hockey team that used to be the Hartford Whalers and "bring them back home" for "the long-term economic growth of our region.

"Maybe, but state government long has "invested" in Hartford by reimbursing half the city's budget and the city is failing badly, not thriving, being largely incompetent and even corrupt. That's why the XL Center, while still nominally owned by the city, is operated by a state agency -- because city government lacks the competence and integrity to keep the place from being stripped and sold for parts when nobody is looking, which, in Hartford, is most of the time.

will5059 wrote:

> Whalevolution wrote:

> > will5059 wrote:

> > > The city of Bridgeport owns Webster bank arena.

> >

> > That's nice and I am sure the city can handle a 15M dollar upgrade with minimal

> state

> > *****istance. but this topic isn't relative to anything I said in the previous

> post.

> >

> >

> > Timmy said all this Bport stuff, so you ARE taking him seriously now?

> No. You said you couldn't support the state spending money on a building that isn't

> publicly owned and I am just informing you that Webster Bank Arena is publicly owned.

> No big deal. BTW the city put out RFD's for the ballpark so there is no reason to

> believe any **ture project won't be at least primarily privately **nded. The arena in

> Bridgeport is turning 20 soon and seeing as how the state just spent $40 million on

> the XL Center and will most likely spend a fair amount more throwing Bridgeport a

> bone is not out of line.

No I totally agree but Bridgeport owning the the arena was not related to P4277 scenario were public money would be used to build a brand new arena in NH.

That I would not support, they had an arena they blew it.

This guy is **nny

Isn't the JI in Manchester?

He's seven miles away yet it's like he is talking what he thinks happens on Mars.

He's right about the city owning it but the state completely running it. At least he got that right.

It's worth noting that the arena management, Islanders Sports and Entertainment, did contribute substantially to the upgrades that took place 5 years ago. Re-tiled the concourse, new center ice scoreboard, new ribbon boards, painted the walls, etc.. At 20 years old I should reasonable to *****ume there is $15 million worth of work to be done. Maybe if every decade the state and/or city chips in along with the arena management we won't end up with a doomsday scenario some would belive Hartford is in. "Timmy" is trying to create a narrative that Bridgeport stands in the way of the NHL returning to Hartford. No I do not take that line of thinking seriously.

Whalevolution wrote:

> No I totally agree but Bridgeport owning the the arena was not related to P4277

> scenario were public money would be used to build a brand new arena in NH.

>

> That I would not support, they had an arena they blew it.

So you don't support public money being spent on venues in other parts of the state, but you do support taxpayers in other parts of the state paying to renovate the XL Center even if no NHL team comes back? Sounds a bit hypocritical, doesn't it?

They blew it? What would you have done in New Haven? Try to save the Coliseum? If so, how would you have done that?

Chris Powell is right about John Gale's proposal. He's also right about this...

"Maybe, but state government long has "invested" in Hartford by reimbursing half the city's budget and the city is failing badly, not thriving, being largely incompetent and even corrupt. That's why the XL Center, while still nominally owned by the city, is operated by a state agency -- because city government lacks the competence and integrity to keep the place from being stripped and sold for parts when nobody is looking, which, in Hartford, is most of the time."

The biggest problem with John Gales proposal is he's using an $230 million estimate from Forbes. They've routinely undervalued franchises lately. The ripple effect from the Clippers sale is still being given felt. The league is going to make the purchase price and relocation fee equil $500 million to justify the expansion fee and protect other franchise values. His per household number must be at least doubled. Combine that with the expected jump in property taxes to cover the states bailing on pensions and this would cause a riot. Coming from someone who doesn't live in Hartford it's offensive that the rest of the state is expected to subsidize them left and right as a result of years and years of themselves electing ineffective, incompatent local leadership.

There is no chance the 38 towns would agree to it. I'm friends with the mayor of a couple of these towns, and when I asked them about this proposal, after they stopped laughing, they told me, and I quote "no f---ing chance".

Gale's column was to get people talking about the Whalers. No more, no less. The proposal itself, is ridiculous, regardless of what Forbes is guessing the Hurricanes are worth.

will5059 wrote:

> It's worth noting that the arena management, Islanders Sports and

> Entertainment, did contribute substantially to the upgrades that took place

> 5 years ago. Re-tiled the concourse, new center ice scoreboard, new ribbon

> boards, painted the walls, etc.. At 20 years old I should reasonable to

> *****ume there is $15 million worth of work to be done. Maybe if every decade

> the state and/or city chips in along with the arena management we won't end

> up with a doomsday scenario some would belive Hartford is in.

> "Timmy" is trying to create a narrative that Bridgeport stands in

> the way of the NHL returning to Hartford. No I do not take that line of

> thinking seriously.

Yes totally agree that Bport is not a concern for NHL

MSG did kick in money for XL when they ran the. Holding but since XL contracting the team out to a second party they have had no interest.

Last Hartford Mayor made a mess ofHartford

What John Gale or the mayors of the 38 cities and towns think of the idea doesn't even matter. The NHL wouldn't allow it. NHL doesn't want every part of a franchise's books open to public view. If 38 cities and towns were investing public $$$ into owning and running a new Whalers NHL franchise, a Ct Freedom of Information act request form could be filed to get the team to open its books to the public. Plus, the NHL doesn't want the headache and blackeye that would come if a $$$ losing, publicly owned NHL franchise started getting blamed for being a drag on city and town budgets. Proposal is ridiculous.

WhalerChad wrote:

> What John Gale or the mayors of the 38 cities and towns think of the idea

> doesn't even matter. The NHL wouldn't allow it. NHL doesn't want every part

> of a franchise's books open to public view. If 38 cities and towns were

> investing public $$$ into owning and running a new Whalers NHL franchise, a

> Ct Freedom of Information act request form could be filed to get the team

> to open its books to the public. Plus, the NHL doesn't want the headache

> and blackeye that would come if a $$$ losing, publicly owned NHL franchise

> started getting blamed for being a drag on city and town budgets. Proposal

> is ridiculous.

Nothing material is going to come of it because it's rather meant to be a talking point than something that is actually viable.

canadawhale wrote: Nothing material is going to come of it because it's rather meant to be a talking point than something that is actually viable.

If you ask me, talking point that isn't actually remotely viable seems like complete waste of breath or complete waste of page it is printed on. I mean if completel impossibilities qualify as talking points, then why stop at 38 cities and towns of greater Hartford buying the Carolina Hurricanes. While they're at it, they should by and relocate the Chicago Cubs, Cleveland Cavaliers, New England Patriots and Real Madrid too. I mean, if greater Hartford is going to go for it with pro sports, let's REALLY go for it!

:lol:

WhalerChad wrote:

> canadawhale wrote: Nothing material is going to come of it because it's

> rather meant to be a talking point than something that is actually viable.

> If you ask me, talking point that isn't actually remotely viable seems like

> complete waste of breath or complete waste of page it is printed on. I mean

> if completel impossibilities qualify as talking points, then why stop at 38

> cities and towns of greater Hartford buying the Carolina Hurricanes. While

> they're at it, they should by and relocate the Chicago Cubs, Cleveland

> Cavaliers, New England Patriots and Real Madrid too. I mean, if greater

> Hartford is going to go for it with pro sports, let's REALLY go for it!

> :lol:

I mean it in the direct sense of Hartford isn't going to ever be directly buying a sports team, rather a talking point to try and get investors to get a team and bring it to Hartford.

canadawhale wrote: I mean it in the direct sense of Hartford isn't going to ever be directly buying a sports team, rather a talking point to try and get investors to get a team and bring it to Hartford.

I just don't see how a local politician floating a ridiculous and implausible idea about 38 cities and towns of greater Hartford buying NHL team and moving it to Xl center is going "to get investors to get a team and bring it to Hartford". I think a really rich and really success**l businessman or businesswoman who heard nonsense John Gale suggested about 38 cities and towns of greater Hartford buying a Nhl team would think "This guy doesn't have a clue about how the Nhl works and if Ct politicians are as clueless as he is then I don't want to get anywhere near owning a pro sports team in Ct/Hartford and having to deal with these dopes on a regular basis".

It would have been much better for John Gale to suggest an idea about bringing NHL team to Hartford that had some realistic chance of happening. That would show potential big $$$ and success**l business people and pro sports investors that political leaders in Ct and Hartford area know what the **** they are talking about.

John Gale is a city councilman. The NHL is working with the state, not the city.

MarkH2919 wrote: John Gale is a city councilman. The NHL is working with the state, not the city.

And if I was really success**l businessperson thinking of investing in bringing NHL team to Hartford I would be asking state level politicians why the **** a city councilman was spouting half-baked ideas in state's largest newspaper about 38 greater Hartford cities and towns banding together to buy Nhl team. If Malloy wants to make Xl center renovation and NHL return to Hartford a reality he needs to get all Ct political and business leadership on the same page. From his office to the general *****embly down to local city and town politicians. Letting local officials with no clue like John Gale spout off about absolutely ludicrous plans to bring NHL back to Hartford is doing nothing to actually bring NHL back to Hartford. It just riles up Ct residents who think it would be stupid for government to invest in pro sports and it potentially rallies opponents of putting any money into the Xl center reno at all. And it makes CT politicians look like dopes. If governor is serious about getting Nhl back to Hartford then he needs to be making it clear to every politician in state that he is leading the effort and any spouting off of half baked nonsense is counter productive.

Chad, calm down.

One of the many wonder**l things about America is that everybody has a right to their opinion. John Gale has a right to his opinion as much as you do, or I do. Whether you agree with his opinion is a different matter.

The real purpose of John Gale's piece is to keep the Whalers and the possibility of them returning on everybody's tongue. The NHL would never allow public ownership, no sports league would allow public ownership, and the only one that does (NFL) only does because Green Bay is grandfathered in. His idea is ridiculous, but since it will never be approved by the NHL, to get all upset about it as you are doesn't make a lick of sense, just like his idea didn't make a lick of sense.

Chad's probably right on this one. Gales idea, which we can all agree is impossible, most likely inflames the crowd that is against taxpayers building arenas for millionaire sports teams that uniting the people who would favor such a thing. Just because someone is a lawyer and a politician doesn't necessarily mean they're smart. Being a lawyer means you went to more years of school and being a politician means your a good-bull-*****ter. There's at least a reasonable chance Gale is just a moron.

I honestly don't think NHL owners care one iota what John Gale says. But NHL owners DO want their league talked about, and if such a piece gets people talking about the NHL, all the better.

MarkH2919 wrote: I honestly don't think NHL owners care one iota what John Gale says. But NHL owners DO want their league talked about, and if such a piece gets people talking about the NHL, all the better.

What if such a piece gets people who don't agree with idea of public $$$ being invested in arena construction or arena reno worked up enough to put pressure on their reps in Ct general *****embly to vote against **ll amount of money that governor Malloy wants to bond to make repairs to Xl center? Do you think NHL owners want that to happen? Would that help NHL owners?

It does not matter what "real purpose" of John Gale's piece was if idea he promoted in piece was so stupid that it makes Ct political and business leaders look like dopes. It does not matter what "real purpose" of Gale's piece was if it gets Ct residents inflamed enough about the notion of 38 greater Hartford cities and towns investing public $$$ in trying to buy a pro sports team that those Ct residents end up telling their reps in general *****embly that they don't want any public $$$ - even at state level - going into arena reno that benefits private pro sports team like NHL team at Xl center.

If Gale was trying to get people talking about the NHL in Hartford, he did it in a stupid ******* way.

"It does not matter what "real purpose" of John Gale's piece was if idea he promoted in piece was so stupid that it makes Ct political and business leaders look like dopes. It does not matter what "real purpose" of Gale's piece was if it gets Ct residents inflamed enough about the notion of 38 greater Hartford cities and towns investing public $$$ in trying to buy a pro sports team that those Ct residents end up telling their reps in general *****embly that they don't want any public $$$ - even at state level - going into arena reno that benefits private pro sports team like NHL team at Xl center.

If Gale was trying to get people talking about the NHL in Hartford, he did it in a stupid ******* way."

You're something else. You go from "well, if the NHL is coming why aren't people talking about it, blah blah blah" to "if Gale was trying to get people talking about the NHL in Hartford, he did it in a stupid way" So now, people have to talk about it...and they have to talk about it in a way that meets your approval. Incredible, even by your standards.

NHL owners aren't listening to John Gale. I'd be willing to bet that most people in Connecticut aren't listening to John Gale, and if they are, they think the notion of 38 towns paying to buy a team to move it here is stupid, just like we do.

But....it gets people talking about it....that's undeniable.