Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Brass Bonanza

Current NHL Players against the Whalers

6 posts in this topic

What current NHL players played against the Whalers in Hartford? Jaromír Jágr is the only one I can think of. Anyone else? (Twenty-seven years since his NHL debut is astounding, and he's still playing **ll seasons.)

jerseydiehardwhaler wrote: Was iginla around

Yep. Iginla's first **ll season in NHL was Whalers last season in Hartford. Iginla scored a goal against the Whalers in the Flames 3 to 2 win in Calgary in January. Whalers blanked Flames 2 to 0 in Hartford in March.

These guys?

---Patrik Elias (39) drafted 51st overall by the NJ Devils (1994 NHL Entry Draft- hosted in Hartford !)

---Zdeno Chara (39) drafted 56th overall in 1996 by the NY Islanders

---Shane Doan (39) drafted in 1995 by the Winnipeg Jets

Chara never played against the Whalers. I was at one of his first games in North America when he took the ice against the Beast of New Haven when he played for the Lowell Lock Monsters in '98 OR '99. I remember him appearing scrawny and being a horrible skater compared to what he became. I remember being at the Flames game in March of '97. Had no recollection of seeing Iginla. I do remember that game becoming pretty chippy, the Whalers were awarded a goal that was under review and someone on Hartford got penalized for having a illegal curve on their stick. I recall them putting the stick up to a measuring device to check the angle of the curve.

Elias only played 17 games and they beat us both times but I dknt know if he was in the lineup against the whale.. so that leaves 2 players.. iginla and jagr