TimmyFromBoosters

Governor visiting XL Center TODAY, NHL official meeting??

50 posts in this topic

Word is spreading that that Governor Malloy will be visiting the XL Center today, in the afternoon hours, some are saying that it is to check on arena maintenance updates being made, others are saying that architects and perhaps NHL officials might also be at the XL Center.  

I don't believe that he is visiting the XL Center to see the maintenance being done, since the Governor visited the XL Center only a few weeks ago, and with the recent college graduations that were held at the XL Center during the past 2 weeks, I know that there is no heavy equipment or renovations being made as of yet, so there is nothing out of the ordinary to see at this point.

Speculation is really growing right now as to what the Governor's visit to the XL Center today is really about.  I will keep you posted as the day progresses to see/hear what is happening at the XL Center.

Don't bother, nobody believes you Wolfie.

Okay, we are now hearing that Governor Malloy will be heading to the XL Center after lunchtime, that CRDA officials will also be on hand, construction company managers and architects will be there, and major speculation is that NHL officials will also be at the XL Center to see which equipment for ice making will be installed this summer.  This is going to be a "hands on" tour, this is not going to be a meet and greet or conference room meeting, this is going to be a **ll tour of the facility to see what standards are needed to bring it to the NHL requirements.

It's true I just received an invite to tour the XL at 1pm with Gov's group. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

As of 9 a.m., we can now confirm the following:

- WALK THROUGH tour of XL Center, this will be the 2nd tour in a matter of weeks for the Governor, so the only reason why the Governor would go back a second time is that because NHL officials will be on scene this time 

- much of the tour will concentrate on "behind-the-scenes" areas such as the equipment rooms, maintenance rooms, locker rooms

- major NHL sticking point is the size of the locker rooms, the locker rooms need to be approaching a size of about 13-THOUSAND square feet to meet current NHL standards (about the square footage of a CVS or Walgreens store), that will have a major impact on the design and money requested for the locker rooms

- NHL ice making equipment advice will be given, although equipment has been selected, the design of piping and amount of piping can still be modified to meet NHL standards along with gallons of water utilized and chilled

- this meeting could go into the late afternoon hours...

Edited by TimmyFromBoosters

Interesting....I'm glad Evo confirmed this is actually happening.

I'll be there Guys 

will grab some some shots and get a first hand view. 

All of the sudden received invite not sure if this is just to pump up talking about getting the work done.  The more people see what's needed maybe the legislature realizes the importance of the building.  

In Ct. the budgets D-Day is June 7

1 person likes this

The CRDA deadline on bids is only two weeks away now, general session is slated to close in two weeks followed closely by the end of the quotation process.

the 2015 study by SCI concluded that at least 100-THOUSAND square feet of additional space is necessary to bring XL Center up to modern NHL standards, improve air circulation, meet certain federal ADA and building code requirements and enhance the overall fan experience

- a big request by the CRDA is Premium Seating, 6 bunker suites with 20 person capacity each, 30 mid-level suites, 1-THOUSAND Terrace seats, and at least two dozen 4-person loge boxes and 2 lounges or restaurants on the lower level

Another issue is that the **ll construction would take 4 years, and would be bookended around sports activity and would take place in late spring and summer months.  Rob Saint will most likely be at the tour today, he is going to be directing all construction planning, and make sure it does not interfere with winter months when building sees most use.

Should be an interesting afternoon, for sure.

will there be staff from the NY Islanders there?  Governor Malloy was trying to get the Islanders to move to Hartford.

Based on the (lack of) response from the Islanders, I'd *****ume there are probably not going to be there.

Maybe NHL officials more likely?

22 minutes ago, canadawhale said:

Based on the (lack of) response from the Islanders, I'd *****ume there are probably not going to be there.

Maybe NHL officials more likely?

Still probably not on the NHL idk

Posted (edited)

Wow, there are a lot more people here than I thought, all of the local TV news trucks are parked outside on the street, I just saw Max from Channel 30 NBC,  a few police and unmarked cars also, there is some major construction equipment such as excavators on the arena floor, CRDA top guys are here, I think I just saw Rob Saint, and as expected - SCI top architect guys from New York City are here, I also saw the *****istant coach briefly...

The Governor was just speaking at the podium, they have a podium set up for Governor Malloy at the top of the Section 100s

Edited by TimmyFromBoosters

I thought this would be a bit more of a sales pitch for the arena and the NHL, however, the media struck the Governor with a tone that wasn't very welcoming of his speech, some of the questions I thought were a bit out of place as the Governor was standing at the podium, some questions aimed at the expense of it in contrast to the state budget issues.... put the Governor on the defensive quite a few times.