Whalevolution

July 15 Hartford Whaler Luncheon

32 posts in this topic

Get your tickets for the Hartford Whalers Alumni Weekend Charity Luncheon, presented by UConn Health, on July 15th 2017, from the Hartford Yard Goats today! Featuring: Dave Babych, Mark Janssens, Chuck Kaiton, Marty Howe, Wayne Babych, Bob Crawford, Norm Barnes, Yvon Corriveau, Jordy Douglas, Mike Rogers, Ed Hospodar, Grant Jennings, Bill Bennett, Dan Fridgen.

Tickets: https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/buyclear.asp?SponsorID=9788&EventID=221157&continue=buynew.asp#.WVKiBYWcHZu

No Dineen or Francis but the list is not bad for a AA event. A Whaler will sit at each table. Tickets will benefit Hartfords Boys and Girls Club. 

IMG_7917.JPG

Thats a pretty weak line up. Same guys who showed up for the Whalersfest a few years back. They better pull the trigger on some more names and better ones!

41 minutes ago, radcon said:

Thats a pretty weak line up. Same guys who showed up for the Whalersfest a few years back. They better pull the trigger on some more names and better ones!

Not really

Whalerfest had Gordie Howe, Kevin Dineen, Ron Francis, and Super coach Joel Quenneville.  

For an AA Level event the line up is pretty good. The Wolf Pack haven't been able to bring in this many Whalers in two decades so hats off to the Goats.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Whalevolution said:

The Wolf Pack haven't been able to bring in this many Whalers in two decades so hats off to the Goats.

Then again, the WP see no need to make Failers fans and their delusional dreams a priority like the Goats are doing.

Edited by HWP1997

The Wolf Pack haven't been able to bring in this many Whalers in two decades so hats off to the Goats.

What does this have to do with the Pack? This is what I'm talking about. You find every opportunity to crap on the Wolf Pack. Also, the Pack have brought in plenty of former Whalers and they didn't charge people $100 to meet them. Heck, the Wolf Pack brought in guys from the 1980 USA Hockey team for a luncheon and they didn't charge $100. What I'd like to know is how much of this is going to the players and how much is going to charity? Like the golf tournament, they're asking way to much and there has to be a reason for it.

2 people like this

Msg said they would help promote Hartford as an NHL market and help in any way they can.. they did the opposite.. they had there chance to help Baldwin and they turned on him 

7 hours ago, HWP1997 said:

Then again, the WP see no need to make Failers fans and their delusional dreams a priority like the Goats are doing.

It's probably as simple as their just cheap but it's totally their right to be cheap.  Getting players here paying them, covering their travel lodging and food expenses, that all is not cheap.  It's hard to justify the cost especially when they were running the outdated expensive to run XL Center from 98-07

1 hour ago, Whalevolution said:

It's probably as simple as their just cheap but it's totally their right to be cheap. 

Just like you? I doubt you'd even go to WP games if you couldn't get in for free.

1 hour ago, Whalevolution said:

It's probably as simple as their just cheap but it's totally their right to be cheap.  Getting players here paying them, covering their travel lodging and food expenses, that all is not cheap.  It's hard to justify the cost especially when they were running the outdated expensive to run XL Center from 98-07

I do have a question about this, was MSG cheap or did they just not have the power to do stuff with the Whalers? The state took down the Whalers banners as soon as the season was over, they couldn't name the team anything close to the Whalers, and MSG had to pay the state to fix and reinstall the Whalers banners in 2000. Do we know that the state didn't block them from bringing in former players? It sure seems like the Whalers were something bad in the eyes of the state until about 2005. It wasn't until after that did we see a true Whalers Appreciation Night, the Whalers logo being put back on shirts and jerseys sold by the NHL, and even the Baldwins and the Whale name back at events in Hartford and on the ice in the Civic Center.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

I do have a question about this, was MSG cheap or did they just not have the power to do stuff with the Whalers? The state took down the Whalers banners as soon as the season was over, they couldn't name the team anything close to the Whalers, and MSG had to pay the state to fix and reinstall the Whalers banners in 2000. Do we know that the state didn't block them from bringing in former players? It sure seems like the Whalers were something bad in the eyes of the state until about 2005. It wasn't until after that did we see a true Whalers Appreciation Night, the Whalers logo being put back on shirts and jerseys sold by the NHL, and even the Baldwins and the Whale name back at events in Hartford and on the ice in the Civic Center.

I guess the question would be is why MSG didn't honor the Failers between 1997 and 2005? There could be a million answers to that. I'd like to say they just didn't care to but we'll never know.

2 minutes ago, HWP1997 said:

I guess the question would be is why MSG didn't honor the Failers between 1997 and 2005? There could be a million answers to that. I'd like to say they just didn't care to but we'll never know.

Well, like I said, they did honor the Whalers and all of Hartford Hockey when they were able to put the banners back up. So, I think they did care at least a little bit. I'm just wondering if they were held back from honoring the Whalers more, or not.

On 7/1/2017 at 11:03 AM, HWP1997 said:

HWP, why don't you start the Hartford WolfPack Forum. (I guess you love to name call, but I decided to be mature and call the Wolfpack the Wolfpack instead of the Wolfpuke.) This is the Hartford Whalers forum...can't you read? 

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, jerseydiehardwhaler said:

Msg said they would help promote Hartford as an NHL market and help in any way they can.. they did the opposite.. they had there chance to help Baldwin and they turned on him 

Jersey, very true. My dad said that they wanted to promote Hartford, but they didn't. Dad said that they were suppose to have 3 preseason games in Hartford and they never did....F them...

On 7/1/2017 at 8:52 AM, Whalevolution said:

Not really

Whalerfest had Gordie Howe, Kevin Dineen, Ron Francis, and Super coach Joel Quenneville.  

For an AA Level event the line up is pretty good. The Wolf Pack haven't been able to bring in this many Whalers in two decades so hats off to the Goats.

There are plenty of different or newer guys that are local or "in the area" that could attend. Nick Fotiu, Jake Danby, Gary Swain, Tom Earl, Chris Govedaris, Mark **sco, Kevin Ahearn, Adam Burt, Glen Featherstone, Paul Fenton, Paul Hurley, David Jensen, Cap Raeder, Scott Young. Im sure I missed a few, but to see some of these guys would be great!! I hoped they tried to reach out to all ex Whalers!!

8 hours ago, TeenWhalersFan said:

Jersey, very true. My dad said that they wanted to promote Hartford, but they didn't. Dad said that they were suppose to have 3 preseason games in Hartford and they never did....F them...

The Rangers did play preseason games in Hartford. They played two of them back when they first came here. I know because I went to them. They also did promote Hartford but when they showed Pack games on TV, and made it a point to show the Whalers banners after they were able to have them put back into the arena.

1 person likes this

On 7/1/2017 at 8:29 PM, HWP1997 said:

Just like you? I doubt you'd even go to WP games if you couldn't get in for free.

Yes I would probably only go to a few. But it's not really free. I spend over three hours sometimes recapping  a game or an WP event.  Photo, video, editing, posting. 

If I no longer "got in for free" I'd have more time to focus on Bringing Back the Whalers. But such is the life of the only guy here who pulls for All of Hartford Hockey.  

On 7/1/2017 at 8:55 PM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

This is the **nniest post I've seen in awhile.  The state was banning Ron Francis and Kevin Dineen. :D

Again cheap is not a shot, AHL biz is more about leveraging your loss for the year. The cheaper you run your AHL the smaller your year in the red. 

The state's budget for the WP now is cheap.

11 hours ago, radcon said:

There are plenty of different or newer guys that are local or "in the area" that could attend. Nick Fotiu, Jake Danby, Gary Swain, Tom Earl, Chris Govedaris, Mark **sco, Kevin Ahearn, Adam Burt, Glen Featherstone, Paul Fenton, Paul Hurley, David Jensen, Cap Raeder, Scott Young. Im sure I missed a few, but to see some of these guys would be great!! I hoped they tried to reach out to all ex Whalers!!

They tried for many of those but if you do have any of their contact info you should contact the Goats.  Definitely prefer closer  geographically but as far as I know they are still trying to get players.

9 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

The Rangers did play preseason games in Hartford. They played two of them back when they first came here. I know because I went to them. They also did promote Hartford but when they showed Pack games on TV, and made it a point to show the Whalers banners after they were able to have them put back into the arena.

I would love it if it were possible to watch the games on TV

Its rediculus what AHL live charges.  AHL even shut down a planned viewing partyin Hartford when the Whale was in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Whalevolution said:

This is the **nniest post I've seen in awhile.  The state was banning Ron Francis and Kevin Dineen. :D

Again cheap is not a shot, AHL biz is more about leveraging your loss for the year. The cheaper you run your AHL the smaller your year in the red. 

The state's budget for the WP now is cheap.

I'm just saying, MSG didn't take down the banners but did have them put back up and even added three more banners. I'm wondering if it wasn't "MSG being cheap" that was the reason why they didn't promote the Whalers more. It just seems like the state might be more to blame for all of that. They had the rights to the Whalers brand for years and did nothing with it. Then, once they lost the rights to the NHL and saw how much money it was making did they seem to care about the team.

4 hours ago, Whalevolution said:

I would love it if it were possible to watch the games on TV

Its rediculus what AHL live charges.  AHL even shut down a planned viewing partyin Hartford when the Whale was in the playoffs.

I heard that the viewing party was shutdown because the Whale never contacted the league about doing this event. Other teams have held these types of events without any problems. I know Springfield does it during the season every so often. Sounds more like the Baldwins thought they could do something without filling out the proper paperwork before hand. 

22 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

I heard that the viewing party was shutdown because the Whale never contacted the league about doing this event. Other teams have held these types of events without any problems. I know Springfield does it during the season every so often. Sounds more like the Baldwins thought they could do something without filling out the proper paperwork before hand. 

Yea, Let's blame the Baldwin's for everything.  

It was the restaurant actually can't remember if it was Agave or the Tavern but they didn't contact the AHL and the AHL threw a fit and that's a good example of why fans leave most of them didn't come back.

They did make their fair share of mistakes after all. Not being able to pay their bills in the end was a big one. I also heard Baldwin Jr. went onto social media and blamed the fans for god knows what. 

5 hours ago, Whalevolution said:

It was the restaurant actually can't remember if it was Agave or the Tavern but they didn't contact the AHL and the AHL threw a fit and that's a good example of why fans leave most of them didn't come back.

The Baldwins set up and promoted the event, not the restaurant, that's why they're to blame for that incident. The restaurant hostess the event and didn't get in trouble with the league, the Baldwins did. It was even talked about on the board. http://www.whalers.courant2.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1442