Whalevolution

XL gets NHL Ready ice sheet

80 posts in this topic

The new sheet looks great, progress is being made, and all of this is taking place on the Whalers Alumni Weekend, and a big coordinated event with UConn at the UConn Hospital tomorrow morning.

All of the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place, Hurricanes have new ownership as I read on this forum yesterday, today it appears the ice sheet is now ready, and tomorrow the Whalers alumni will be at the UConn Hospital for a meet and greet.

Game. Set. Match.

Can't wait until the official return and first game of the Whalers so I can rub it in the eyes of the doubters and haters.

The only reason the team went to North Carolina is because Karmanos had nowhere else to go, the new owners don't want to stay in Carolina, they will stay there for a year or two until Hartford is done with major renovations, then they will be back.  Stuff is happening behind the scenes, that is why the NHL ice sheet was built.

Lol at all of the pieces of the puzzle falling together. There is no owner or ownership group talking about moving to Hartford. No stories make it past the courant or this forumn that talk about hockey actually coming back. Quebec city has a new arena already done right now if a team wants to relocate. Oh and the Western conference still is down a team even after vegas.

This new ice will be great for potential pre season games and uconn hockey and i look forward to going to uconn games this fall. But we are still a pipe dream away from the NHL.

2 people like this

Looks great. Glad to see it's coming along. Looking forward to seeing the Wolf Pack and UConn playing on the new ice.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

There is no owner or ownership group talking about moving to Hartford. No stories make it past the courant or this forumn that talk about hockey actually coming back.

Wrong.  There is an ownership group, they do want to own a team in Hartford, the Governor has mentioned them numerous times and it has been widely reported on.

12 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

Wrong.  There is an ownership group, they do want to own a team in Hartford, the Governor has mentioned them numerous times and it has been widely reported on.

Please give me the names of this ownership group ill wait....oh nevermind they re**se to reveal who they are and there have been no public comments from the group just hearsay through Governor.

Compare that to other groups in pro sports who have names and faces and had in public made comments and shown actions to get a team to a new location by any means. Given the current state of our state we need someone who is no afraid to openly push for a team here like Howard Baldwin did.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, WhalerCentral said:

There is an ownership group, they do want to own a team in Hartford

I wish this supposed ownership group wanted to own a team in Hartford so much that it would put up at least half the $$$ needed to get major XL center renovations done. Then maybe we wouldn't have to wait "a year or two until Hartford is done with major renovations" to get a Nhl team back. If supposed ownership group that wants to own Nhl team in Hartford wanted the team so much that it was willing to put big money into major XL center renovations, then maybe major renovations could have started already. That would be really, really great news.

Edited by WhalerChad
1 person likes this

"While urging caution, the governor told me there are two groups interested in buying a team and perhaps moving it to Hartford." ~ Dennis House , February 7th on TV.  Malloy also added this…”If I’d been governor, I wouldn’t have let them go.” The Whalers left the state in 1997 when John Rowland was governor. 

https://dennishouse.tv/2013/02/07/malloy-had-i-been-governor-the-whalers-would-still-be-here/

It is official, there is not just one group of rich investors, there is also a second group and the local media has confirmed that.

Game.  Set.  Match.   When the Whalers move back home in the next two to three years, I can't wait to rub it in the faces of you haters, doubters, trolls and bums.

5 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

"While urging caution, the governor told me there are two groups interested in buying a team and perhaps moving it to Hartford." ~ Dennis House , February 7th on TV.  Malloy also added this…”If I’d been governor, I wouldn’t have let them go.” The Whalers left the state in 1997 when John Rowland was governor. 

https://dennishouse.tv/2013/02/07/malloy-had-i-been-governor-the-whalers-would-still-be-here/

It is official, there is not just one group of rich investors, there is also a second group and the local media has confirmed that.

Game.  Set.  Match.   When the Whalers move back home in the next two to three years, I can't wait to rub it in the faces of you haters, doubters, trolls and bums.

No need to cop an attitude.  All this proves is that the governor said he wishes we still had the Whalers and some mysterious anonymous groups are interested in bringing a team back to Hartford.  That is just a politician talking, it's official BS, not proof of anything.  I hope you're right, but over the last 20 years, we've earned the right to be skeptical.  If a team comes back to Hartford, I'll be there, but I'm not going to get excited about anything until I'm in my seat at the game. 

27 minutes ago, p4277 said:

some mysterious anonymous groups are interested in bringing a team back to Hartford.  That is just a politician talking, it's official BS, not proof of anything. 

It is Proof, the Governor said it, there are at least TWO groups of investors wanting to purchase a NHL team for Hartford, Dennis House reported it, linked above.

All I ask is that when the NHL returns to Hartford, that you and all the other NN's are here so I can shove it so far up your collective a$$es that it comes out your fcccking noses.

1 hour ago, WhalerCentral said:

It is Proof, the Governor said it, there are at least TWO groups of investors wanting to purchase a NHL team for Hartford, Dennis House reported it, linked above.

It is not "proof". It is talk. Talk is not proof. Talk is cheap.

My Dad says he remembers Governor John Rowland saying Bob Kraft was a "partner" in renewal of downtown Hartford and that when it came to New England Patriots moving to Hartford stadium that "failure is not an option". The Krafts supposedly wanted to move a NFL team to Hartford. Dennis House and Jeffrey Cole and Eric Clemons and Joe Tessitore all interviewed Robert Kraft and Jonathan Kraft about moving the Patriots to Hartford on a Eyewitness News TV special.

I hope you are right about a Nhl team coming back to Hartford. But until that team is actually skating on Xl center ice I won't be convinced. The "proof" I want is a Hartford Nhl team on the ice at Xl center. Until that happens, Rowland and House are just talking.

8 minutes ago, WhalerChad said:

Until that happens, Rowland and House are just talking.

Excuse me. I meant that until a Hartford Nhl team is on the ice at Xl center, then Malloy and House are just talking.

3 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

Haters? I will sign up for a season ticket plan the second a team comes back. But you can't say game set match when we are years away from a quality rebuild  of the XL and no price tag on the net worth of these alleged owner groups. Cities like Quebec City have a new arena right now for the Canes to move to.

4 hours ago, WhalerChad said:

I wish this supposed ownership group wanted to own a team in Hartford so much that it would put up at least half the $$$ needed to get major XL center renovations done. Then maybe we wouldn't have to wait "a year or two until Hartford is done with major renovations" to get a Nhl team back. If supposed ownership group that wants to own Nhl team in Hartford wanted the team so much that it was willing to put big money into major XL center renovations, then maybe major renovations could have started already. That would be really, really great news.

I wish they would just approve the 250M and stop stalling on Hartfords chances for survival. 

4 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

You do realize this article is from 4.5 years ago, right?

4 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

When the Whalers move back home in the next two to three years, I can't wait to rub it in the faces of you haters, doubters, trolls and bums.

:lol::lol:

16 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

All I ask is that when the NHL returns to Hartford, that you and all the other NN's are here so I can shove it so far up your collective a$$es that it comes out your fcccking noses.

Proof has an expiration date, and something that was mentioned 4 and a half years ago has not bearing on what's going on now. No one has even heard of this group outside of the governor mentioning them, and there's no actual proof they even existed in the first place. Heck even Dennis House couldn't find anymore information about these groups after he talked to the governor. I'd love to see the Whalers come back but there's no proof anything is happening. We know about every other ownership group and investors working to bring NHL teams to cities like Quebec, Markham, Seattle, and Hamilton. We know about the people that have tried to bring teams to Houston and Kansas City. We also knew who was working on bringing the NHL into Vegas and Winnipeg before they were able to buy a team and move it there or get an expansion team.

the NHL met with Gov Thursday 

Id worry about finding proof about the WP staying.  Focus on what you actually care about. 

38 minutes ago, Whalevolution said:

the NHL met with Gov Thursday 

Id worry about finding proof about the WP staying.  Focus on what you actually care about. 

I care about Hartford and I'm worried that we are spending money we don't have on something that my never happen. People have said that the NHL has meet with the Governor but no one can prove it. The other thing is that no one else has even talked about the NHL being here. That's why I wish these groups, if there is any, would have put up some money for the upgrades to the XL Center. That way we'd at least have some proof or at least someone willing to help pay for the upgrades to the XL Center.

On 7/16/2017 at 1:11 AM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

I care about Hartford and I'm worried that we are spending money we don't have on something that my never happen. People have said that the NHL has meet with the Governor but no one can prove it. The other thing is that no one else has even talked about the NHL being here. That's why I wish these groups, if there is any, would have put up some money for the upgrades to the XL Center. That way we'd at least have some proof or at least someone willing to help pay for the upgrades to the XL Center.

Agree 100%. These alleged groups are hiding in the darkness and there is no open up front investment in XL upgrades. I know the NFL is a different beast with larger budgets. But the last few relocations ownership groups have put money up to help **nd new venues. Same with teams like Seattle and Minnesota who paid colleges to upgrade their fields to NFL level and then they invested millions more into their new venues (Century Link and TCF Bank Stadium)

Nobody is going on TV or releasing their name to Jeff Jacobs at the Courant to say "Hey I am someone who wants to bring a team here. Beyond that i see no private group openly cutting a check to aid the state in the XL project. And like you said it still may never happen even if tomorrow we woke up and the XL center was magically upgraded with 250 mill.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Monizzle145 said:

Agree 100%. These alleged groups are hiding in the darkness and there is no open up front investment in XL upgrades. I know the NFL is a different beast with larger budgets. But the last few relocations ownership groups have put money up to help **nd new venues. Same with teams like Seattle and Minnesota who paid colleges to upgrade their fields to NFL level and then they invested millions more into their new venues (Century Link and TCF Bank Stadium)

Nobody is going on TV or releasing their name to Jeff Jacobs at the Courant to say "Hey I am someone who wants to bring a team here. Beyond that i see no private group openly cutting a check to aid the state in the XL project. And like you said it still may never happen even if tomorrow we woke up and the XL center was magically upgraded with 250 mill.

Exactly. We know about every other group putting money into places to get major league teams, but Hartford gets a p*****. Why? Just because we "deserve a team" or "they were mentioned 5 years ago, so they're out there"? Like I've said, I'd love for the Whalers to come back but show me some actual proof that these groups exist. Until then I'm going to keep asking these questions. Even if it means people will call me anti-Whalers or anti-Hartford. Some Whalers fans are using those terms just to discredit people, and to prove that someone is wrong or doesn't know what they're talking about.

On 7/16/2017 at 1:11 AM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

These have been brought up before but don't worry they are easy fixes. 

Regardless of the NHL the arena needs to be re**rbished the plan in place now makes it as efficient and cost productive as building a brand new arena.  So for half the cost and with a savings of 250,000,000.00.

so don't worry about the NHL, the arena is getting redone with or without them. Which is exactly why the NHL is interested someone could basically come here for a brand new arena in a market that far exceeds many in the league.  

And don't worry there's proof the Governor met with the NHL.  I know for a fact the Governor has met with the NHL I've heard him say it many times to people in BFDH meetings. I've even asked him questions about the group but no luck there.  But you can put that to bed he's definitely meeting with the NHL when they call. Heck it's not just him we know some corporate execs who get through to the top br***** in the NHL.  It's always a long shot but it's far from Hartford never getting the NHL.  That's just a rediculous statement I always hear a lot of  people make when they don't have a clue. 

As for the investors paying if they were gonna they would've by now.  And I don't blame them, there needs to be an arena here and with everyone throwing 500M price tags around an investment group is going to need all the help they can to secure a team. In fact think about the millions the investment group has already spent on investigating and developing a case for Hartford back in the NHL.  True they can probably write it off as loss business expense but I bet you the number is 7 or even 8 figures.

Lol at "easy fixes". I love how you are defending the fact this group or groups are hiding in the darkness instead of making their faces or money be presently visible to help the cause. I feel like our city met someone online and they keep making excuses on why they can't meet in public or video chat its a joke. Hartford is getting "catfished" right now.

Many booming cities like Vegas and LA can self **nd a good chunk of arena projects when it comes to Football and with the Golden Knights a new arena that will  and is being used for much more than hockey. But Hartford is totally different. Sure the 250 mill is on it's way to use to help the XL but it doesn't hurt for an investment group to help the cause with money of its own. Shoot the last xl project went over budget and had it's woes.

This is why Hartford is screwed despite me wanting the NHL back in this Market. Most investors will easily choose Quebec City or other cities in better economic shape in consideration when it comes to relocation. That's 100% why in Hartfords case everything is in the dark with no names or info on these make believe investment groups. However with the Golden Knights and in the NFL with the moves of the Chargers and Rams money was put down by teams and plans are out in the open. Same with the Raiders who are telegraphing their desire to go to Vegas.

1 person likes this

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, Monizzle145 said:

Sure the 250 mill is on it's way to use to help the XL but it doesn't hurt for an investment group to help the cause with money of its own. Shoot the last xl project went over budget and had it's woes.

I honestly don't think the money is on the way. The plan was for $250 million over the next four years, so about $75 million a year. The state has only agreed to put up $70 million for the next two years, and there's no promise for the rest. That's why they asked for other companies and groups to put up **nds to help them. Only one group did and it sounds like they're not willing to put up much.

I think they're still asking for the 70M for the next two years?  Did anyone hear the money was approved?

They are asking for far less these next two years than the 150M they wanted. It's a 60% drop.  

The good news is they can do the most needed things first this benefits us the patrons and it helps satisfy the NHLs biggest concerns about the building.  Another win/win if the money is approved.  If it isn't then Whalers fans will have to rely on good luck in getting support from the next Governor, whoever it is. 

The Ice Sheet and boards they put together this year with a limited amount of revenue to use.  It's progress on an old building that needs upgrading. 

On 7/20/2017 at 11:47 PM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

I honestly don't think the money is on the way.

Yes, we all know you don't.