Sign in to follow this  
WhalerCentral

Governor correct, local area investors about to buy Hurricanes

We now have an answer to our question of why the local area investors have asked for their names to not be disclosed by the Governor.  It turns out, these investors have been meeting with Hurricanes ownership and also visiting the Raleigh arena.  Interviews with people who have knowledge of the proposed purchase requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.  I can tell you that one of the investors, whose name has leaked out, is definitely local from the region, and has been a lifelong Whalers fan and he might be moving his family to the NC/SC region after making a fortune in the computer/tech world.  The move could take place in the next few years as the Carolina attendance is stagnant and while the XL Center continues to receive more NHL quality upgrades, the concrete is still curing at the XL Center around miles of new refrigerant piping, everything is falling into place.

Also hearing that the letter, sent earlier this year by the Governor and Mayor Bronin to the Islanders, was sent for the very purpose in trying to expedite the Carolina sale process.  The Governor knew that the Islanders wouldn't move to Hartford, but the Governor sent the letter to alert all the other NHL cities and teams that Hartford was making arena upgrades and was ready to be in the position of hosting a team and to prepare the other teams that Carolina was in the starting stages of coming home to Hartford.

Game. Set. Match.

Edited by WhalerCentral

I know brains aren't Greg's strong suit, so I guess I have to dummy this down for him.

WhalerCentral = TimmyFromBoosters = WolfPackFan1998 = Delino.

He's spewing the same crap, just spinning it 180 from All WolfPack all the time, to all Whalers all the time.

Carolina has a lease, per Karmanos, one of the most team-friendly leases in the entire NHL, until 2024.  They're not going anywhere anytime soon.

1 hour ago, MarkH2919 said:

I know brains aren't Greg's strong suit, so I guess I have to dummy this down for him.

LOL what happened to yesterday's post being your "last"? I knew your fat@$$ could never stay away from here.

Game, set, match? No public names no actual link to an actual story. Decades upon decades of online college football message boards are proud of have delusional topics like this are in this Whalers message board. We may not have any public faces openly trying to get a team back here. But at least we have a message board that is as crazy as the top sports teams in the country.

9 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

Game, set, match? No public names no actual link to an actual story.

Mark can't control what the voices in his head say to him.

4 hours ago, Monizzle145 said:

Game, set, match? No public names no actual link to an actual story. Decades upon decades of online college football message boards are proud of have delusional topics like this are in this Whalers message board. We may not have any public faces openly trying to get a team back here. But at least we have a message board that is as crazy as the top sports teams in the country.

Monizzle, I cannot believe you claim to be a Whalers fan and that you claim to have had your father bring you to the last Whalers game in April of 97, you are beyond clueless, but what else is new with you.

Arizona, Carolina, and the Panthers are not going to stay there forever losing money, that is a fact, and when they come looking for a new home it will be Hartford at the top of that list.  We have a fanbase, we have a hockey history, we have investors, we have an arena with a brand new ice sheet, and we have many professionals such as lawyers, doctors, etc. that will buy tickets, in the 80's and 90's there were times when Whalers tickets were beyond impossible to get and those times can happen again if we play our hand at the right time.  You are not old enough to remember the Whalers and what they meant to Hartford, you forever operate in your own little world.

43 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

in the 80's and 90's there were times when Whalers tickets were beyond impossible to get and those times can happen again if we play our hand at the right time.  You are not old enough to remember the Whalers and what they meant to Hartford, you forever operate in your own little world.

You're better off finding a DeLorean, getting it up to 88 MPH, and going back in time if you really want to see your team again.:lol:

e5d07223ed59327d814f4e66e2330366731a08f7

Edited by HWP1997

On 7/30/2017 at 9:46 AM, MarkH2919 said:

WhalerCentral = TimmyFromBoosters = WolfPackFan1998 = Delino.

Do we know for sure that Delino is WP98? He even said in 2012 that his name is William. I'd hate to think that Mark is wrong again (as he usually is)...

Capture.JPG

23 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

Monizzle, I cannot believe you claim to be a Whalers fan and that you claim to have had your father bring you to the last Whalers game in April of 97, you are beyond clueless, but what else is new with you.

Arizona, Carolina, and the Panthers are not going to stay there forever losing money, that is a fact, and when they come looking for a new home it will be Hartford at the top of that list.  We have a fanbase, we have a hockey history, we have investors, we have an arena with a brand new ice sheet, and we have many professionals such as lawyers, doctors, etc. that will buy tickets, in the 80's and 90's there were times when Whalers tickets were beyond impossible to get and those times can happen again if we play our hand at the right time.  You are not old enough to remember the Whalers and what they meant to Hartford, you forever operate in your own little world.

I like how everything you just said yet again had no credible sources or facts in it. I was 6 and a half when the whalers left. I am now 26 and at least 30 to 40% of hockey buddies parents who had gone to whalers games don't live in Connecticut anymore since their kids are now on their own and the taxes are too expensive. That is going on now where i am old enough to see the large amount of former whalers fans leaving the state. On top of all that 50% of my friends ( youth hockey teammates or not) don't live in Connecticut anymore. But again please find the fanbase from the 90s that is still mostly here.

Forget Arizona they are not moving to the Eastern conference with the already uneven conference size. Florida and Carolina are in trouble but you have Quebec City that has an arena done right now. And as far as a team coming here you have guys running in the dark allegedly taking to malloy and the canes. No articles no facts and the XL center is still ancient and has no suite level. Again if that changes we can go from there but right now you have no sources just whispers and gossip about nothing.

• Like 1

An arena that is "done" right now in QC still will cost any owner 25 cents of every dollar earned.  That's like having a crappy arena, and dealing with the loss. 

Unless the dollar improves dramatically QC is doomed. Which one of you guys or gals here would be fine with a 25% pay cut starting today. 

The market today here inHartford  for an NHL fan base is drastically different than 20 years ago.  If you haven't seen the demographic stats on the CRDA website you should take a look.  The financials of the 1.3M people in Greater Hartford is much much better than what it was in the 90's

if a team came back they wouldn't be looking for old fan base they'd be capitalizing on the new better one.  Heads and shoulders more money here than Quebec, KC, and Hamilton

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whalevolution said:

An arena that is "done" right now in QC still will cost any owner 25 cents of every dollar earned.  That's like having a crappy arena, and dealing with the loss. 

Unless the dollar improves dramatically QC is doomed. Which one of you guys or gals here would be fine with a 25% pay cut starting today. 

The market today here inHartford  for an NHL fan base is drastically different than 20 years ago.  If you haven't seen the demographic stats on the CRDA website you should take a look.  The financials of the 1.3M people in Greater Hartford is much much better than what it was in the 90's

if a team came back they wouldn't be looking for old fan base they'd be capitalizing on the new better one.  Heads and shoulders more money here than Quebec, KC, and Hamilton

What is better about the state of Hockey in Hartford Country since the 90s? I stopped playing hs hockey in 2008. Since then both Enfield high and Fermi who were rivals had to combined due to declining numbers. Rockville and Manchester same thing. Windsor Avon and like 2 other towns had to combine. I can't imagine the same thing is going on in QC. Not to mention the financial woes in Hartford are much worse than the weakening Canadian Dollar in a region that has more hockey fans and hockey players per capita than Hartford does. The cost to operate the team would be much more here in Hartford than in QC as well. Sure the Canadian dollar is weaker but QC has a state of the art arena already built and has more fans that would attend and watch games than Hartford. TV revenue runs all pro sports. The QC market easily has more hockey fans and more space between competitors than Hartford.

• Like 1

Also i was in Kansas City this year for the Sweet 16 on a business trip. The Sprint center is one of the nicest venues i have been to for a mid sized city like KC. I sat upper deck for one session and lower level for the elite 8 and both views were great.

. While not a traditional hockey market the city has 10 times as many things for young people to do. They have sold out preseason games and i think for a western market it would fair better than Arizona if they needed to move and or a Florida Panthers needed to move.

Talking to locals some have migrated to live in KC from the the hockey midwest states like Michigan and Minnesota and Michigan as they went to KU 40 minutes from the city and got jobs in Kansas City. The market loves the mls as well and hockey and soccer go hand in hand as far as young fans who grow to like both niche sports if it is in their city. There is no reason why a team in KC wouldn't be set up better (and have a cheaper cost of living) than Hartford.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monizzle145 said:

What is better about the state of Hockey in Hartford Country since the 90s? I stopped playing hs hockey in 2008. Since then both Enfield high and Fermi who were rivals had to combined due to declining numbers. Rockville and Manchester same thing. Windsor Avon and like 2 other towns had to combine.

Newington High had their own hockey program back when I was a student there. Since then, they've combined with Berlin, Manchester, and Cromwell.

You are still off in your own little world.  Since when did high school hockey correlate with NHL success in a given market?  Nashville was just in the Stanley Cup, what is the high school hockey situation in the middle of Tennessee?

What you fail to realize is that the lack of participation in high school hockey is a RESULT of the NHL not being here for 20 years, an entire generation has now grown up without hockey in their state (and no, the Wolf Puke here doesn't count).  You keep thinking that the lack of high school hockey participation is a CAUSE that means the Whalers are not wanted here, when you fail to realize the decline in youth hockey was precipitated by the NHL leaving.  You were just too young to remember the impact the Whalers had on the area, your opinion needs to always be kept in the context that you were in little kiddo undies and velcro sneakers when the Whalers were here.

Whalers merchandise is consistently in the top five in the league for teams, the Yard Goats just hosted a Whalers themed celebration day, they are not having a Rangers or Bruins celebration as there are not enough fans of those hated teams, Evo and I have seen dozens of families wearing Whalers merchandise to Yard Goat games and the St. Paddy's dad parade.

1 hour ago, WhalerCentral said:

You are still off in your own little world.  Since when did high school hockey correlate with NHL success in a given market?  Nashville was just in the Stanley Cup, what is the high school hockey situation in the middle of Tennessee?

What you fail to realize is that the lack of participation in high school hockey is a RESULT of the NHL not being here for 20 years, an entire generation has now grown up without hockey in their state (and no, the Wolf Puke here doesn't count).  You keep thinking that the lack of high school hockey participation is a CAUSE that means the Whalers are not wanted here, when you fail to realize the decline in youth hockey was precipitated by the NHL leaving.  You were just too young to remember the impact the Whalers had on the area, your opinion needs to always be kept in the context that you were in little kiddo undies and velcro sneakers when the Whalers were here.

The reason hockey is working in nashville is because a influx of young people (huge market to convert new hockey fans) and older northerners are moving to the Nashville area embracing a new sport. You can't grow the Hockey base in Connecticut if young people my age and younger are leaving the state after college. You can't grow the fanbase of hockey when older people can afford to stay here in retirement despite their love for the whalers and the sport of hockey.

Don't tell me about youth hockey participation decline when i lived through the decline and you most likely didn't have kids or were playing in the last 10 years when the youth hockey numbers declined. The #1 reason of this decline is economics. That is the present issue. People can't afford to live in this expensive state and still let their kids play hockey. This is the same with taking them to live games. Peoples entertainment money for a **ture NHL team here is going to property taxes car taxes that continue to rise.

Stop trying to marginalize me for not being old during the heyday of the Whalers because those days are long gone. Those days have nothing to do with the current reality of this market you childishly ignore and pretend doesn't exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HWP1997 said:

Newington High had their own hockey program back when I was a student there. Since then, they've combined with Berlin, Manchester, and Cromwell.

Yeah back in the mid 2000s I played against both Newington and Manchester when they were stand alone teams. Manchester has had 2 different co-op forms and Newington had to combine in the current co-op due to decreasing numbers.

23 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

Stop trying to marginalize me for not being old during the heyday of the Whalers because those days are long gone. Those days have nothing to do with the current reality of this market you childishly ignore and pretend doesn't exist.

You're talking to a man-child in his 40s who never left his mom's basement. This idiot can't tell the difference between reality and the delusional world he lives in.

Edited by HWP1997

25 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

Whalers merchandise is consistently in the top five in the league for teams, the Yard Goats just hosted a Whalers themed celebration day, they are not having a Rangers or Bruins celebration as there are not enough fans of those hated teams, Evo and I have seen dozens of families wearing Whalers merchandise to Yard Goat games and the St. Paddy's dad parade.

Merchandise and fans that still live in the Hartford area are 2 different things. A large part of the merch are local people who wear the hats and shirts for style or to be hip. The logo is part of the culture of the city. And people who can't afford to live in CT can purchase the merch to rep hartford in the new state they live in with lower taxes lol. Yes the whalers sold out Dunkin Donuts park for a weekend with 10 to 15 dollar tickets and nostalgia. Yes during a holiday where green is the primary color many people rock whalers gear. But those logos that are part of our cities history don't tell the entire story about the **ture of hockey here and the amount of actual hockey fans still left in the state.

8 minutes ago, HWP1997 said:

You're talking to a man-child in his 40s who never left his mom's basement. This idiot can't tell the difference between reality and the delusional world he lives in.

No maybe he is right. Me at age 26 seeing tons of childhood friends and their parents moving out of the state doesn't mean anything. Simply because i was too young to remember the whalers haha.

• Like 1