Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

Who is on your Mt. Rushmore for Hartford Hockey

Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Paul Coffey, Ron Francis.

Yeah, I know...but technically it's legit. Imagine if Emile Francis hadn't pas sed over Steve Yzerman for Sylvain Turgeon; a decade of Ronnie & Stevie Y as our Top 2 centers.

Gordie Howe, Kevin Dineen, Ron Francis, Mike Liut.

Edited by HartfordHomeOfTheWhalers

This has been a question since this board started.  And my answer hasn't changed.

Ron Francis, Gordie Howe, Kevin Dineen, Ken Gernander

The 20 years Gernander was a player and coach here shouldn't be ignored.

On 9/7/2017 at 2:37 PM, MarkH2919 said:

This has been a question since this board started.  And my answer hasn't changed.

Ron Francis, Gordie Howe, Kevin Dineen, Ken Gernander

The 20 years Gernander was a player and coach here shouldn't be ignored.

Just my difference of opinion; not trolling. But I don't think leaving Gernander off a Mt. Rushmore wouldn't be ignoring him; he's just not good enough to be on it. Throw his name on a plaque or something.

No player for an AHL team should supersede the NHL. To look at an actual Mt. Rushmore & see Gernander up there & not a Liut, Burke, Samuelsson, etc. would (to me speaking only for myself, at least) would seem ridiculous.

Again, not trolling; just discussing.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, HartfordHomeOfTheWhalers said:

Just my difference of opinion; not trolling. But I don't think leaving Gernander off a Mt. Rushmore wouldn't be ignoring him; he's just not good enough to be on it. Throw his name on a plaque or something.

No player for an AHL team should supersede the NHL. To look at an actual Mt. Rushmore & see Gernander up there & not a Liut, Burke, Samuelsson, etc. would (to me speaking only for myself, at least) would seem ridiculous.

Again, not trolling; just discussing.

He's been a part of Hartford Hockey for over 23 years and that's more than anyone in HH History. He played in 599 regular season games, which puts him at second in GP behind Ron Francis and ahead of Kevin Dineen. He also did that playing in 2 less years than Francis and 3 less than Dineen. He also played in 78 playoff games which is more than any player in HH History. Gernander was the captain of the first team to bring Hartford and the state of Connecticut a professional sports championship. So, I think he is good enough to be up there. There are AHL players in the Hockey Hall of Fame so there can be one on the Mount Rushmore of Hartford Hockey. 

Edited by TrueHartfordHockeyFan

On 9/12/2017 at 0:02 AM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

He's been a part of Hartford Hockey for over 23 years and that's more than anyone in HH History.

If that's your criteria then Skip Cunningham should be up on Hartford's Mt. Rushmore; he's been with the Whalers since 1972.

A hockey "Mt. Rushmore" would be the equivalent of a local Hall of Fame. You don't skip over far more talented players to toss up a career minor-leaguer playing on development squads that almost no hockey fan knows or cares about.

Jody Gage was a legendary Rochester American. Here are some of his accomplishments, quoted directly from Wikipedia:

"Gage became the Amerks' all-time leader in games played (653), points (728), goals (351), and as sists (377). Gage won the Les Cunningham Award in 1987–88 after a 60-goal season (second player in league history to accomplish this feat). He was the third player in AHL history to score 1000 points, the fifth player to play 1000 AHL games, and the fifth member of the AHL's 500-goal club. Gage led Rochester to a Calder Cup in 1986–87 and back to the Calder Cup Finals in 1989–90, 1990–91, and 1992–93."

He accomplished far more at the AHL level than Gernander could dream about. Do you think Buffalo would bounce any of Dominik Hasek, Gilbert Perrault, Pat Lafontaine, Pierre Turgeon, Phil Housley, Rick Martin, Alexander Mogilny, Pat LaFontaine, Rene Robert, Ryan Miller or Dave Andreychuk off their Mt. Rushmore to add Jody Gage? I'd go with no.

It's not an equal comparison.  Far from it, in fact.

First, and most importantly, Buffalo and Rochester are two totally different cities.  So in that regard in and of itself, your comparison doesn't work.

Second, Buffalo's history witht he Sabres was...to be polite...a bit more decorated than the Whalers.  I don't recall the Whalers getting to a conference final, never mind a Stanley Cup Final.  **rther, Buffalo's NHL history now spans 48 seasons and counting, Hartford's time in the major leagues (either WHA or NHL) was less than half that.

Lastly, the 20 years Gernander was involved with hockey in the city, has to count for something.  No, he was not the greatest player, nor was he the greatest coach, but he has been the face of Hartford hockey for the last 2 decades, like it or not.  Unlike a lot of other personnel that have p*****ed through here over the 20 years the Pack have been in town, Gernander has never badmouthed Hartford, not one time, about anything...be it the paltry attendance, or the horrific media coverage, save for Pete and Jerry, or whatever else.  He should be commended for that.  20 years as an athlete/coach in ANY city, is a noteworthy accomplishment.  People have been honored for far, far less.  

• Like 3

Buffalo & Rochester are only an hour apart & have a very close connection. But I'll put that aside for now.

I'm not against Gernander's inclusion on a Mt. Rushmore because of my dislike for the Rangers.

If the Whalers had stayed, & Joe Day, Mark Greig or Blair Atcheynum had hung around for 20 years as player & coach of the Springfield Indians (or even the 'Hartford Indians' if they had played in the HCC) I wouldn't expect to see them up there over a Dineen, Liut or ect.

"People have been honored for far, far less."

That is true, but an award is usually proportionate to the accomplishment. Win the Stanley Cup & get your name permanently inscribed on a highly-coveted 130-year old chalice.

But what Gernander did was like an 'Employee of the Month' sort of thing; & it should be accompanied by an honor similar to what a loyal Wal-Mart or Cigna employee might get after 20 years of employment. They might get an inexpensive watch or engraved plaque. Maybe a Dunkin' Donuts GC or better parking spot. They wouldn't get a statue in the foyer.

I'm not trying to, or expecting to, change your mind. But (theoretically, at least) we're talking about a Mt. Rushmore. That is reserved for the best of the best.

And it's the reason you don't see the image of any local D.C. aldermen chiseled into the real one.

2 hours ago, jerseydiehardwhaler said:

Actually if he was a better player he would have played in the NHL.. but what he did in Hartford was for the rangers organization.. if you want to get technical..

Yeah, that still means he was playing and representing Hartford Hockey longer than anyone *****ociated with the Whalers. He also did many things no one *****ociated Whalers did.

That was a team effort, not solely on him.. cause than everyone in the Adams division champs team would have a nomination to be on there.. pioneers of Hartford hockey should get that honor not a career minor league player.. Baldwin should be there before him

Baldwin should be nowhere near it. He left the team to make more money somewhere. Then, when he came back he hurt Hartford Hockey more than anyone else by screwing everyone he could. I know people that weren't paid under his management that almost had things repossessed. Some still haven't been paid, and that includes the state, Hartford, and CPTV.

Whatever he did when he came back was a whole other story where his good so called buddies at msg could have helped, and also interest came back in a big way when they were rebranded.. maybe he wasn't smart with money but he knows this market and he took the NHL to Hartford.. so he would belong on there before gernander .. your bias to the ranger/Wolfpack is to much.. 

On 9/16/2017 at 1:01 AM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Gernander is better than a lot of guys that played for Hartford and did things no Whalers players/coaches/owners were ever able to do. That's why he deserves to be on Hartford Hockey's Mount Rushmore.

You're joking right?

If a neutral party created a legitimate list ranking all the players who've played in Hartford, approximately where do you think he'd rank?

Many Calder Cup-winning teams have been have been filled with players who didn't make, or do much, in the NHL. The AHL is a developmental league; nothing more. Gernander wasn't even the best player on the 2000 team.

Often times Calder's are won or lost simply based on the timing of call-ups. They're a feeder league for their affiliates; nothing more.

Putting him up there ahead of Dineen would be asinine.  

• Like 1