Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

Whaler fans win again

6 hours ago, HartfordHomeOfTheWhalers said:

Yes, yes; we know. You're anxiously waiting & hoping this gets voted down. 

Honestly, I do. If an investment group wants to bring a NHL team Hartford then they should put up some money to get the arena "NHL ready". We shouldn't have to spend millions of dollars we don't have on something that we have no proof is going to happen.

• Like 1

“The administration feels that...while they continue to look for a public-private partnership and examine options on how to make this work, this level of investment is needed now, and I agree with them,” Fonfara said.

This is case in point what is wrong with the **ture of the NHL in Hartford. No private money is being put up to help the state which is in financial peril right now. If someone or some random group truly cared about pro hockey coming back they would invest in **nding a new arena for now and worry about recouping any money put out later.

Cavs Owner and Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert invested in Detroit when times go rough there despite all the negative press about the city after the recession. Robert Kraft while hustling Hartford put a boat load of his own money up to build the current stadium in Foxboro because again he cared about the **ture of his team. Whalers fans and hockey fans in Hartford don't win until private investors are willing to bet on this city and it's **ture.

On 9/17/2017 at 5:52 AM, Whalevolution said:

Without "this" there is zero chance for an NHL team. 

True, but there is no guarantee that it will happen with a renovation, or even with a new arena.  Considering the disastrous financial condition that the state is in, is spending this kind of money on the XL Center without an NHL team coming the best use of taxpayer money?

I'd love to believe that there are teams and investors all lined up just waiting for a newly-renovated XL Center to be completed before announcing the return of the Whalers.  But does anyone really think that will happen?

7 hours ago, p4277 said:

True, but there is no guarantee that it will happen with a renovation, or even with a new arena.  Considering the disastrous financial condition that the state is in, is spending this kind of money on the XL Center without an NHL team coming the best use of taxpayer money?

I'd love to believe that there are teams and investors all lined up just waiting for a newly-renovated XL Center to be completed before announcing the return of the Whalers.  But does anyone really think that will happen?

That's the thing i highly doubt these rumored investors are going to truly invest in the city and  the new arena. If they were going to do that they would have already been public. I can't have hope based on the NHL walking through the XL like spies. I can't get any hopes up with this alleged ownership group wants no public light to their cause.

I don't recall a modern day franchise move where the ownership group wasn't public about it's push to move. I have also never seen a team move to a city in as much peril as Hartford.