Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhalerChad

New Houston Rockets owner wants NHL team

42 posts in this topic

Now...for Chad and Monizzle...I'm not questioning Houston being in the mix, we don't know how much interest the NHL has in Houston, at least at this point in time.  It's nice that the Rockets owner met with the guy that owns the Maple Leafs, and it's nice the new Rockets owner met with Jeremy Jacobs...that's great...but that's two owners, there's 29 others that have to be accounted for.  Does Dallas want to give up their monopoly on Texas?  Does the league want to go into another southern market?  Does the Rockets owner want to (a) buy a team or (b) put up $500M (or more) for expansion?  These are all questions...very legitimate questions...that have to be answered.

Can I see the NHL in Houston?  Absolutely.  I'll even say it will happen...within the next 3-5 years.  But, my guess is it will be an expansion team...and since there is no **rther expansion of the NHL on the immediate horizon...it's my opinion the NHL won't be in Houston anytime in the immediate **ture.

4 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

Uh....reduced to what?  Reduced is better than cut, which is what the GOP had originally proposed.

Reduced by over $100K next year and over $6M in 2019. He also de**nded the Municipal Regional Development Authority. It was supposed to receive $457,875 in 2018 and $610,500 in 2019.

http://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/Press-Room/Press-Releases/2017/10-2017/Gov-Malloy-Releases-New-Bare-Bones-Budget-Proposal

You do understand that a budget is like 900 pages, right?  Malloy was offering changes to his original budget...and since the XL wasn't in this list of changes...and WAS in his original budget...guess what?  You're wrong.  As usual.

27 minutes ago, MarkH2919 said:

You do understand that a budget is like 900 pages, right?  Malloy was offering changes to his original budget...and since the XL wasn't in this list of changes...and WAS in his original budget...guess what?  You're wrong.  As usual.

Wait. I posted proof, from the governor himself, that he is taking millions away from the CRDA, de**nding another group like the CRDA, and there's no plans for bonds or loans to pay for any upgrades to the XL Center and I'm wrong? You have got to be kidding me. You go ahead and hide your head from the truth. 

"I posted proof, from the governor himself, that he is taking millions away from the CRDA, de**nding another group like the CRDA, and there's no plans for bonds or loans to pay for any upgrades to the XL Center and I'm wrong? You have got to be kidding me. You go ahead and hide your head from the truth."

You posted Malloy's 50 page budget.

The original budget, the one that was voted on (and vetoed) in September was 900+ pages.

You go ahead and hide your head from the truth, Biggie.

1 person likes this

On 10/12/2017 at 7:42 AM, MarkH2919 said:

You can't discount Houston if the new Rockets/Toyota Center owner is serious about the NHL.  There are several franchises up for grabs, as we know.

The real question is...is the NHL serious about Houston?  And...why wouldn't the NHL want Houston to pony up $500M to expand, as opposed to a relocation?

Exactly my point too.

Houston getting in the mix is huge and most likely hurts Hartford.  You can say Seattle vs Hartfordbased on the arena race but Houston is in an entirely different league.  They have money, arena and an interested owner. 

But if you are running the NHl you do want Houston to pony up for that 500M rather than just rescuing a floundering franchise.  The way NHL drools over Phoenix their doing the same thinking about Houston. 

It will be interesting to see how this all develops. Could this be a new home for the Coyotes?

3 hours ago, Whalevolution said:

But if you are running the NHl you do want Houston to pony up for that 500M rather than just rescuing a floundering franchise.  The way NHL drools over Phoenix their doing the same thinking about Houston. 

I am sure NHL would always want potential team owner to pay $500M for expansion team instead of potential team owner paying a lower relocation fee. Then again NHL would want all its existing teams to be stable and problem free and making a profit. The NHL would like to do nothing but add expansion teams at $500M a pop to 31 stable and profit making and problem free existing NHl teams. But if existing NHL team in market like Arizona or Carolina is a problem for the league that needs a quick solution and Fertitta in Houston says he wants NHL team and has a state of art arena like Toyota Center ready to go, will NHL be in a position to turn Houston down for relocation? I mean you are always saying that Hartford can be a quick solution to an NHL problem. So why wouldn't NHL accept Houston as quick solution to an NHL problem? Especially if Ct state budget problem ends up costing Malloy the money he wants for XL Center renovation?

All I know is that Houston wasn't a threat for getting NHL expansion team  or relocated team when the Rockets old owner was in charge because the Rockets old owner wasn't interested in having hockey in the Toyota Center. This new Rockets owner Fertitta is very interested in bringing NHL team to Toyota Center in Houston if he gets the chance. Like you say he has money and a state of art arena and he is interested. That makes Houston ready to take NHL team NOW if it had to. That makes Houston a threat to Hartford's NHL dreams NOW. That bums me out, especially with state budget situation the way it is.

We need to get our act together here in Ct.     

The one key sentence in your last post (besides, "we need to get our act together here in CT) is "...If he gets the chance"

It's nice that the new Rockets owner wants the NHL...but we have not heard a peep from the NHL about wanting Houston.

Edited by MarkH2919

4 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

[W]e have not heard a peep from the NHL about wanting Houston.

We haven't heard about them waiting Hartford either. Houston also has a state of the art, modern say arena as well as an owner we know about who has billions of dollars to spend on moving a current team, or getting one through expansion. Those are things Hartford doesn't have right now. 

NHL probably will do whatever Houston wants to do.  At #4 market in the country it’s got to be at top of NHLs wish list

they have: #1 NY, #2 LA, #3 Chicago

Seattle is #10, Atlanta is #9

Hartford is #30

Eh, I'm not so sure about that...the NHL wants that expansion money, which makes Houston a prime candidate of course...if/when the NHL expands again. 

To me, Houston is a prime expansion spot...with the $500M (or more) price tag.  Hartford is a prime relocation spot...if we can get our collective s#!t together that is...  

They’d love it as an expansion spot but I guarantee they won’t block Houston owner if he bid on Hurricanes that would be stupid if they did.

I thought the guy that used to own the Texas Rangers was going to buy the Hurricanes?

At this point i don't think the NHL would be picky about the Hurricanes moving anywhere.