WhalerCentral

Hartford Courant: If Amazon chooses Hartford, likely the Whalers will come back

21 posts in this topic

More positive news, that Hartford could be a finalist for Amazon to build a major headquarters in, and the Courant reporter noted that she is "pretty sure the Whalers will come back" based upon Amazon likely choosing Hartford as its new destination.  

Everything is falling into place, State Government is almost eye-to-eye on a state budget now after recent talks, XL Center has a new ice sheet designed by NHL-chosen architectural company, more money will be flowing to more XL upgrades, investors are in talks with the Governor who has already asked other NHL teams to move here, and now the Courant is dropping more than just hints that Amazon and the NHL could both be coming here... something big is happening behind the scenes.

whalereturn.png

Edited by WhalerCentral

Very solid sources here. Random twitter post and a shot in the dark conjecture that something is happening in the dark. Game set match.

1 person likes this

Random twitter post?  That is a Hartford Courant news reporter and Hartford sports lover, and our own Ricky Milliner follows her reporting, so try again.

First of all, it's a REALLY big "if", when it concerns Amazon coming here.  There are about 100 cities trying to get Amazon's Eastern headquarters.  I'm glad that Connecticut is in there pitching for it, (I believe 3 CT cities have applied), but the competition is fierce.  Connecticut's business climate is aw**l, it will be a hard sell.  The cost of doing business here has become a reason for companies to leave, not to come here.

And linking the return of the Whalers to getting Amazon is purely wish**l thinking.  If there was really a connection, wouldn't Seattle have had an NHL team for a long time now?   

2 people like this

If Amazon chose to move to Hartford that would be great. But I'm not holding my breath.

2 people like this

Neither Hartford or any of the other CT cities are in the top ten most likely cities that Amazon is going to move into. They're a little at best. It would be nice to see this happen but I just can't see it when cities are putting up millions in tax breaks and things to get Amazon to choose them. We just can't compete with that, especially since we still don't have a budget.

You do know there's already a huge Amazon warehouse facility in Windsor, right?  

Clueless as usual....wow.  Stick with your mancrushes on Gernander and Sonar.

9 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

Random twitter post?  That is a Hartford Courant news reporter and Hartford sports lover, and our own Ricky Milliner follows her reporting, so try again.

Did he cite his references? I know in QC the people who actually built a new arena (not just an ice sheet) had real people in the light  of day that got that built. In vegas i think the guy who paid the expansion fee wasn't hiding in the Govenors office hiding his name too.

You don't even need to finish elementary school to become a Hartford Courant news reporter. That title holds water like Charlie Brown's ghost costume.

I think Ron Francis has something from Amazon, so I am sure he will come back and be the new coach!!

This is better than listening to the idiots I work with!!

Folks you'll have to excuse WhalerCentral, he finally saw the Great Pumpkin last night...so he's still on a bit of a high.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, MarkH2919 said:

You do know there's already a huge Amazon warehouse facility in Windsor, right?  

Clueless as usual....wow.  Stick with your mancrushes on Gernander and Sonar.

Yeah, who cares, there are 70+ of these Amazon warehouse facilities in the US, **ll of low-skill, low-pay jobs.  Big difference between these and a second headquarters.  Out of 238+ bids, we'd be lucky to crack their top 100.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, TheDirtyH said:

Yeah, who cares, there are 70+ of these Amazon warehouse facilities in the US, **ll of low-skill, low-pay jobs.  Big difference between these and a second headquarters.  Out of 238+ bids, we'd be lucky to crack their top 100.

I have to say it but I doubt we'd be in the top 200, out even the top 150.

On 1.11.2017 at 9:39 PM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

I have to say it but I doubt we'd be in the top 200, out even the top 150.

if not lower

1 person likes this

I think Amazon will absolutely pick somewhere else.

even if Amazon came here that doesn’t at all bring the NHL either.  The longer it takes to correct the XL’s revenue from red to black the longer the wait on real NHL opportunities will be.

No commitment to renovating the building = no NHL team.

It's as simple and plain as that.

The real worry for the Packrats out there like "T"HHF and Robtool is what happens to the Pack if the Sound Tigers leave Bridgeport...and considering the legal mess going on down there, that is actually more of a possibility than ever before.

1 person likes this

Probable and glad you mentioned this 

Heard from a Local AHL arena reporter that told me not to mention him or the arena but that the Rangers shopped one of there farm teams recently.   

25 minutes ago, robplays said:

Let's say the AHL leaves Hartford with no chance of coming back and the NHL is still light-years away from returning, do you think UConn alone can satisfy Hartford hockey fans? I doubt it.

It would only be 15 games too for UConn max.

Without the AHL Hartford Hockey would drop from from 235k to just 65K.

bottom line: AHL is needed in Hartford but it doesn’t matter which AHL team.  A new affiliate would uptick the numbers for sure at least the first season. 

1 person likes this

I just can't see another team coming into Hartford. It's slim pickings as it is with all the teams moving closer to their affiliates. Look at the cities that have lost their AHL teams recently. Or if the eight or so cities only one, Springfield, was able to bring in another AHL team. They also basically had to steal that team from another city just to have it.

The problems going on in Bridgeport actually hurt them from finding a replacement team as well. If the Islanders don't want to share the space with a new amphitheater, what makes you think anyone else will? There's no parking there now, could you imagine how aw**l it would be if you had a concert at the theater and a game or event at the arena? People complain about parking in Hartford with baseball and concerts at the Xfinity it shows at Hartford Stage. Bridgeport is hurting themselves, not helping.

"Let's say the AHL leaves Hartford with no chance of coming back and the NHL is still light-years away from returning, do you think UConn alone can satisfy Hartford hockey fans? I doubt it."

First of all, the only one said the AHL has "no chance of coming back" is you, Greg.   Second, while UConn hockey is only 15-17 home games per season...the attendance would have an uptick if it was the only game in town...but would it go up by leaps and bounds?  Probably not.

Evo is right...AHL hockey is needed, but an affiliate change would be most welcome, and would DEFINITELY increase the attendance in the first season, possibly even two.  Then...it would depend on promotion and how the new affiliate sells their product.

1 person likes this

^ and it would be nice to pay a 800k fee instead of a 1.6M