Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

XL Center gets 40m for one year

http://m.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20171026/NEWS01/171029944/xl-center-slated-for-40m-headed-to-sales-block#.WfGy9-e--wc.facebook

So 40m is a win considering three weeks ago the discussion was close. 

Couple things I learned from speaking with CRDA last night.

- Yes it’s up for sale, some legislators think that is the solution, but finding a buyer for a property that is a liability? Would you buy a property that costs more to maintain than it makes? Good luck 

- The 40m is clearly to improve the building and to buy the Atrium.

- There has been zero discussions with UConn or Rangers on an extension. Nor has there been an answer to the Rangers two year 3.2m lease that they offered. However expect that to change and negotiations to begin once the budget is p*****ed. 

-If by miracle they do sell it to a proactive buyer. Then people like whalerchad and his dad should get on board since that would alleviate their tax concerns.

1 hour ago, Mr. Br***** Bonanza said:

This is clearly not the intended path, but it will generate the same result, It's all good, Whalers and UConn fans. (Wolf Pack and Rangers fans, the medicine is coming.) 

That all depends on who buys it. If the rumor about the potential buyer is true, then you might be changing your tune. The only buyer I've even heard of doesn't want anything to do with the NHL and UConn already had plans to move half of their games back to campus.

Once again, everything is happening as planned, this is more positive news.

Amazon could be putting its Eastern Headquarters in the greater Hartford region and has more than enough money to purchase the XL Center for company pep meetings, Amazon already has thousands of employees in Connecticut with their 3 major locations in Connecticut, and this is before the Eastern Headquarters is even built.

On the same day we hear that $40 million more will be spent on upgrading the XL Center, the Ground Breaking is taking place at 11 o'clock this morning in East Hartford for a m*****ive outlet construction project, and it will be open for business in 12 months.

Everything is converging in 2019, XL Center upgrades, East Hartford outlet opening, I-84 major construction, possible opening of Amazon Eastern Headquarters in Connecticut, and the Courant reporter has already mentioned that the Amazon move here would predate the NHL coming back to Hartford.

KarmanosIsGod is 2 for 3.

Well, we'll say 1 1/2 for 3.

Amazon COULD move to Hartford.  That's not out of the realm of possibility, though I readily confess it's a long shot.

THHF is definitely Biggie.

And he's wrong about #3.  Watch and learn.

10 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

Once again, everything is happening as planned, this is more positive news.

Amazon could be putting its Eastern Headquarters in the greater Hartford region and has more than enough money to purchase the XL Center for company pep meetings, Amazon already has thousands of employees in Connecticut with their 3 major locations in Connecticut, and this is before the Eastern Headquarters is even built.

On the same day we hear that $40 million more will be spent on upgrading the XL Center, the Ground Breaking is taking place at 11 o'clock this morning in East Hartford for a m*****ive outlet construction project, and it will be open for business in 12 months.

Everything is converging in 2019, XL Center upgrades, East Hartford outlet opening, I-84 major construction, possible opening of Amazon Eastern Headquarters in Connecticut, and the Courant reporter has already mentioned that the Amazon move here would predate the NHL coming back to Hartford.

One of amazon's requirements for their 2nd HQ is a region will great public transportation. Hartford is automatically out of the running just on that alone.

29 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

One of amazon's requirements for their 2nd HQ is a region will great public transportation. Hartford is automatically out of the running just on that alone.

The Hartford region is the fastest growing public transportation project metro in the entire country.

It appears that someone hasn't been paying attention to recent news over the past year.

New High Speed rail is being rolled out from New Haven to Hartford to Springfield in the next year, CT Fastrak is being rolled out East of the River in the next year since it is so popular.

5999408016785408.png

6738687047237632.png

1 minute ago, WhalerCentral said:

The Hartford region is the fastest growing public transportation project metro in the entire country.

It appears that someone hasn't been paying attention to recent news over the past year.

New High Speed rail is being rolled out from New Haven to Hartford to Springfield in the next year, CT Fastrak is being rolled out East of the River in the next year since it is so popular.

5999408016785408.png

6738687047237632.png

Lol too bad other eligible cities are 20  years ahead of our public transit system with both local subway access to the entire city and even larger networks of trains/buses. Try taking public transit in 2017 from Farmington or Avon or East Granby from a local train stop in town into Hartford. Oh wait that doesn't even exist.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

Try taking public transit in 2017 from Farmington or Avon or East Granby from a local train stop in town into Hartford. Oh wait that doesn't even exist.

Yeah, you can't take public transit from Farmington or Avon into Hartford,.... oh wait.....

4608709753044992.png

4940890576781312.png

9 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

Yeah, you can't take public transit from Farmington or Avon into Hartford,.... oh wait.....

4608709753044992.png

4940890576781312.png

Notice how i said train not bus....oh wait. The point is Boston, New York, Philadelphia and DC all have metro and rail train lines that go out 20 to 30 miles plus outside the city. All hartford has is limited bus lines. Where is the east granby bus? Farmington?  And what if i want to go out to a game at the XL and get a bus that will take me back at 10 pm at night....oh wait! lmaooo

6 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

Notice how i said train not bus....oh wait. The point is Boston, New York, Philadelphia and DC all have metro and rail train lines that go out 20 to 30 miles plus outside the city. All hartford has is limited bus lines. Where is the east granby bus? Farmington?  And what if i want to go out to a game at the XL and get a bus that will take me back at 10 pm at night....oh wait! lmaooo

There are 169 "towns" in the State of Connecticut, there are not buses running from each of those towns to any other town at all hours of the day.

Likewise, there are not buses going from every small town on Long Island to Manhattan at all hours of the day and night.

3 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

There are 169 "towns" in the State of Connecticut, there are not buses running from each of those towns to any other town at all hours of the day.

Likewise, there are not buses going from every small town on Long Island to Manhattan at all hours of the day and night.

Yes but i have left a concert in NYC at midnight and there are trains to new haven every 20 minutes. You can't leave Hartford at at 11:30 and find a train or bus back to Enfield or New Haven or Meriden. You would have to wait until 6 am the next morning for public transit which by default is much slower than many other cities.

8 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

Yes but i have left a concert in NYC at midnight and there are trains to new haven every 20 minutes. You can't leave Hartford at at 11:30 and find a train or bus back to Enfield or New Haven or Meriden. You would have to wait until 6 am the next morning for public transit which by default is much slower than many other cities.

Shocking, there are more public transit availability options departing NYC (a city of 8+ million people), than there are in Enfield (population of 45-thousand).  

Just now, WhalerCentral said:

Shocking, there are more public transit availability options departing NYC (a city of 8+ million people), than there are in Enfield (population of 45-thousand).  

Imagine if Amazon chooses a city like NYC or Boston or the DC Metro where there are actually more people moving and living there than Connecticut!? Cities and villages in the NYC metro and DC metro the size of Enfield have their own metro stops. But you can't find me a metro stop north of Hartford that send a train right into Hartford between 6 am and midnight. Only one single busway in a limited portion of the region.

Amazon wants a small town feel, if all Amazon wanted was a big city with a dense transit offering, they could have moved to NYC a decade ago, that is why Hartford is so attractive to them.  Also, I am sure the Amazon Executives don't want their employees sitting next to the below guy, and I didn't have to go far to find this story, this is a news story from this evening, the NYC subways are a mental institution on tracks.

5382421066547200 (1).jpg

"Also some more thinking... this fight to save the XL should be from everyone, regardless who you root for. Instead the arguments between Wolf Pack / Whalers & UConn hockey, why not forget about for the time being. The building is at a critical crossroads. Any negative posting of no one showing up to games kills our argument for a better XL. The state people are not all hockey fans. The pictures online or anything negative about any tenant who plays in the buildings just hurts us all together. From the law makers perspective. Why renovate a building if no one goes? Why give the arena millions for renovations when no one cares? All those pictures of empty crowds really kill us, regardless what tenant plays. If the main worry is Pack vs Uconn / Whalers in the current fight for maintaining the building, then how are you helping? If we had a renovated building, then that's a whole new ballgame. The arena would of be fine"

Quoted this from Ricky, especially for you morons who constantly crap on the pack attendance, take a gander.

• Like 2

After reading the budget report it looks like the state is definitely going to sell the XL Center in 2019. They're not waiting to see anything. Hope**lly the new owners will be able to fix it up. I just wonder if they're going to keep it at the level it is or make it "NHL ready". There's no mention of that anywhere.

$40 million will easily keep the building going for another 14 months, until 2019 arrives and Amazon has a larger footprint in the city and area, Amazon can easily afford to make **rther upgrades to the XL Center, and if Aetna Headquarters on Farmington Avenue is empty by 2019 (if the CVS-Aetna deal goes through), Amazon can also occupy the Aetna Headquarters.

1 hour ago, WhalerCentral said:

$40 million will easily keep the building going for another 14 months, until 2019 arrives and Amazon has a larger footprint in the city and area, Amazon can easily afford to make **rther upgrades to the XL Center, and if Aetna Headquarters on Farmington Avenue is empty by 2019 (if the CVS-Aetna deal goes through), Amazon can also occupy the Aetna Headquarters.

Don't get your hopes up because Hartford is low on the list of potential cities for Amazon. There are too many cities "more advanced" and "better equipped" to house their new HQ. Maybe if the commuter rail line was done, if Hartford want going bankrupt, and if other businesses were running from the state we'd be higher on the list. As it is now there's no way they're coming to Connecticut let alone Hartford.

16 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Don't get your hopes up because Hartford is low on the list of potential cities for Amazon. There are too many cities "more advanced" and "better equipped" to house their new HQ. Maybe if the commuter rail line was done, if Hartford want going bankrupt, and if other businesses were running from the state we'd be higher on the list. As it is now there's no way they're coming to Connecticut let alone Hartford.

Agreed. If Hartford had a commuter line and Bradley was more of a hub those would be 2 factors that would go along way.