Sign in to follow this  
TrueHartfordHockeyFan

3221, what's the excuse now?

5 hours ago, Whalevolution said:

Really?  If you read the article you’ll see they are Nate Silvers and he says “Whalers 2.0” would be success**l“. “ie 175k” it’s literally the first Line I quoted in my post. 

so again if your point is the numbers you can ask him I didn’t because I agree with HIS numbers.  If they were MY numbers why the **** would I quote Nate Silver to you? I’d just tell you where I got MY numbers 

I said the ORIGINAL article about his "study," which is linked to in the article you posted but is NOT the article you posted.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/

If you read that article, you will not see the Whalers referenced once. That is what I was talking about.

But to finish the quote you started from the article you linked (emphasis added by me): "How success**l might Whalers 2.0 be? In a 2013 study, I estimated that about 175,000 avid NHL fans live in the Hartford-New Haven metro area."
If you don't consider them your numbers, that's fine, but don't call them your numbers as you did earlier in the thread.

And this will be the last post I make on this topic. I'm trying to have a civil discussion with you, which I can't do when you use profanity.

8 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

. At this point I know you idiots will never change and would be happy to see Hartford die if it meant the Whalers came back 

Must not be including me in this at all then.  I go to Pack games even though I do believe a brand change or affiliate change would help things. The story lines are usually not bad, with Whitney on the team this year I was expecting a hotter start. I think the goaltending is more of an issue than last season but still time for them to improve. 

If you are leaving that’s too bad you could have talked a little on ice hockey instead of always trying to make up posts to crap on the Hartford Hockey you don’t like. 

That's not Hendrickson's game, Evo.  His game is to troll.  No more, no less.  He tried to be neutral, but he's just not smart enough to be able to do it.  

On 11/4/2017 at 2:24 PM, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Maybe you should actually start caring for Hartford and not crapping on what we have for something we my never see again. You like to say you do because you have you show and "talk about the Pack", but you couldn't even remember who the heck they were playing, what their schedule was, or what the players names were. It sure shows how much you care when you don't know basic information like that.

Didn’t see this but wanted to respond because it is a good point.  First cool that you went to see Will O’Ree. I would have loved to ask him to come on the show. 

Now me being a guy who has delved into the three realms of Hartford Hockey, I can tell you exactly what moves the needle of the Metro-Hartford market and what doesn’t move it much. 

After 7 years of Guests, watching games, making tv shows and writing articles on Hartford Hockey the order of interest from the fan base has been

1# Whalers

2# UConn

3# Wolf Pack/Whale 

If I broadcast or write something about the Whalers it gets three times the hits that anything Wolf Pack does and Whalers get about twice as much as UConn. 

After awhile I realized that I was spending a ton of time writing and talking about the Wolf Pack and it was the smallest audience I had and the least interactive.

Now I still go to Pack games and love to talk about on ice stuff with UConn and the Pack but I have to spend my time on where the interest lies. 

You are a great example of this. I meet plenty of AHL/Wolf Pack fans and they never talk on ice stuff.  Like you, they are concerned more with downplaying any possibility of the return for the NHL.

if this message board was about bringing the NFL to Hartford would you spend as much time downplaying that?  I bet no, which begs the question of why you are so threatened by a potential Whaler return.  

If I was a real die hard Wolf Pack/Ranger fan why would I give a crap about a team that’s been gone for 20 years? Good question for you and Biggie. 

Now I do agree that there are some Whaler fans who do the same as you. They are too concerned about a Ranger AHL team. 

If attendance is bad for any team it’s bad but the one upper crap is pretty pointless. 

If interest in the Pack dominates the market that’s where I will spend my time but at current it does not.  

On 11/6/2017 at 8:43 PM, Mike said:

I said the ORIGINAL article about his "study," which is linked to in the article you posted but is NOT the article you posted.

If you read that article, you will not see the Whalers referenced once. That is what I was talking about.

But to finish the quote you started from the article you linked (emphasis added by me): "How success**l might Whalers 2.0 be? In a 2013 study, I estimated that about 175,000 avid NHL fans live in the Hartford-New Haven metro area."
If you don't consider them your numbers, that's fine, but don't call them your numbers as you did earlier in the thread.

And this will be the last post I make on this topic. I'm trying to have a civil discussion with you, which I can't do when you use profanity.

You are taking out of both sides. If you want to have a discussion you don’t preface that attempt with “this is my last post”. 

I mentioned 75k originally, my mistake it was 175k for the “Hartford Market”, but I was definitely thinking of the article that I ORIgINally quoted.  You brought a second article in that was referenced in my original article, which explained Nate Silvers “estimate”. 

He says for the “Whalers 2.0” would need the “estimated” 175k to be success**l, and although it’s not large it’s comparable to Buffalo, Vegas,Raleigh and Columbus. 

Heres the graph where the number comes from, it doesn’t mention Whalers but I never said it did. He does use the same number in MY article, where he does Mention WHALERS.

So I have no idea what your issue is with this point and I’ve never used any profanity with you not to mention you can’t because it’s asterisked out even things that aren’t swears. 

I believe the 175k is a fair *****essment but it’s Nate Silvers numbers as I have clarified a few times now and I am sorry you think so but I have never said they are my numbers. 

Not to mention, why would I source whose numbers they are if I was p*****ing them off as mine????

FDA912A9-F658-42F5-8D18-68B70C799BCA.jpeg

On 11/6/2017 at 2:40 PM, Mike said:

So your "proof" that there are 175,000 Whalers fans in Connecticut is based on the opinion of one person, who -- in 2013 -- estimated based on the number of Google searches for "NHL" that there are 175,000 NHL (not Whalers) fans in Hartford/New Haven. And even if that number (derived from a largely unscientific method) is close to accurate, you're jumping to the conclusion that all of those NHL fans are or would be Whalers fans? So there are no NHL fans in Connecticut who are fans of the Rangers, Bruins or any other team? That seems believable.

No, that’s not at all what I am saying and no need to be condescending when I am being civil.  I’m saying that Nate Silver is saying that the 175k is his estimate on how many people would support the NHL in Hartford(which can only be the Hartford Whalers). Obviously Bruins and Ranger fans exist in Ct, just as other NHL teams have fans in Ct and other states may have Whaler fans or whatever. You should see the out of state emails we get regarding a potential Whaler return. Example not all NY fans like the Rangers, same as not all M*****achusetts fans can stomach the Bruins.  

Not a scientific study but it’s about the only fair analysis I’ve seen on the strength of the NHL in the Hartford/NewHaven market. If it was my estimate I could see your point more but it was derived by a credible national media source.

It says "NHL fans", not "Whalers fans". That's why people are questioning what you're saying. There are tons of people who live here that aren't Whalers fans, and that was even the case when the Whalers were in Hartford. You make it sound like if there are 175K NHL fans then 150K of them are Whalers fans, and there's just no way that's the case.

"You make it sound like if there are 175K NHL fans then 150K of them are Whalers fans, and there's just no way that's the case."

It's so much f u n when the Packrats start over-analyzing.

If there are 175K NHL fans, it's not asking much to have less than 10% of those go to games nightly...which would be enough to fill a 17,000 seat arena.  Last time I checked, it makes no difference what team someone roots for...at least not when it comes to dollars and cents.  Meaning the owner of Whalers 2.0 shouldn't care if the building has 3,000 Bruins fans...or Rangers fans...or Penguins fans...or whoever....their money is good.

Edited by MarkH2919

I'll also say what I've been preaching to Evo, to WhaleGuy, to Mr. BB, and to anyone else that wants to listen...a competitive team year in and year out...would routinely sell out a renovated XL Center at 17,000 seats (or so, after renovation).  It's when a team goes through 4-5 year droughts, like from 1981-1985, and from 1992-1996 is when the team struggles at the gate.  They don't have to be a dynasty like the 1980s Oilers or the 1970s Canadiens or the 1980s Islanders....they don't even have to win 2 straight Cups like the Penguins.  Just be competitive...make the playoffs more often than not, win a round (or 2) on occasion, and in the years where they miss...be in the mix for a spot right up until the end of the season or close.  

Edited by MarkH2919
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

It says "NHL fans", not "Whalers fans". That's why people are questioning what you're saying. There are tons of people who live here that aren't Whalers fans, and that was even the case when the Whalers were in Hartford. You make it sound like if there are 175K NHL fans then 150K of them are Whalers fans, and there's just no way that's the case.

Unfortunately, You are falling into the same irrelevant point that MIke was.  

I never said they were Whaler fans, Nate Silver and I’ve quoted this multiple times but people skip over it.  He says in order for Whalers 2.0 to be success**l it will have to pull in the 175k people who searched NHL in the HFD/NH market. 

We are talking about NHL interest in the area, in this specific market. 

For example just because people google NHL in Manhattan doesn’t mean they are Ranger lovers. 

Secondly and again, they are not my numbers. People who like to downplay the NHL market here Seem to love to hold Hartford to rules that they don’t for other markets.  For example Quebec, according  to Nate Silvers numbers the NHL interest in a market where the Nordiques would reside would have 529k NHL interested fans. 

Guess what not all 529k would be Quebec fans, same with NY, same with Boston. I can’t believe the people still can’t wrap their head around this and that they still think I came up with these numbers. If you guys dispute the 175k in this market that would support a Whaler franchise by buying tickets no matter who they are a fan of then you guys have an issue with 538- Nate Silver but I agree with him.

After weeks on the same point I realized there is a way to roughly calculate Whaler fans within the region. 

In the mid to late 80’s the XLC drew over 500k-600k a season 

what do we know 

They weren’t all Whaler fans

They weren’t the same 15k x40

so how many were Whaler fans of the 500k-600k?    1/3 of that again roughly would be about 175k so is the number more literal to “Whalers” than we are thinking?

It's a fair point.

The chart also said "Avid NHL Fans".  So...it is my opinion that "Avid NHL Fans" is what a team should base their season ticket sales on...and if there are roughly 175,000 "Avid NHL Fans" in the market, per those numbers, then getting one out of 12 to buy a season ticket, or even a partial plan, shouldn't be terribly difficult.  That number (1/12 of 175,000) is 14,583.  If you had 14,583 f ull or partial season tickets for a NHL team based in Hartford...that would be phenomenal.

A "casual NHL fan" would probably go to 2-3 games per year...maybe for a Sat urday night out, maybe to see their favorite team if it wasn't the Whalers...and that would likely fill up the rest of the arena.  

Edited by MarkH2919
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 8:43 PM, Mike said:

Finally after all this time, vindication. 

Here the Courant Mentions 175k NHL fans and the Whalers in the same market just as I did.

“Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight estimated 175,000 avid NHL fans live in our market, which is comparable to or better than some current host cities, including Las Vegas,”

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-malloy-whalers-hartford-game-20180209-story.html