Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhalerCentral

Columbus Crew is struggling, possible move to Hartford ?

13 posts in this topic

On November 2nd, the president of the Columbus Crew, Dave Greeley, appeared at an event in Austin, Texas, to gauge the city’s support for a relocated Crew. The club’s owner, Anthony Precourt, had stated a week beforehand that the team needed a new downtown stadium or it would have to move.

The Crew have the lowest average attendance in MLS and the lowest ticket price. 

D.C. United played its final game in RFK Stadium this weekend.

There's a renewed effort to draw a professional team to Dillon Stadium in Hartford and inquiries have come from multiple leagues.  Soccer mania reached Hartford, Connecticut. Their sports group will renovate Dillon Stadium in historic Colt Park. Hartford Sports Group said millions of dollars of investment would come to downtown Hartford. That will spur the city’s positive transformation.

Edited by WhalerCentral

I’m all for a semi pro or pro soccer team.  

I don’t know squat about soccer but I’m all in. 

I guess I am still so surprised that there is any interest in Hartford regarding Dillon Stadium especially with an outdated stadium that was mired in an FBI investigation during the Pedro Segarra Admin.  

Similar to the issues with XL but on an incredibly smaller scale.  Any interest in Hartford whether it be AA Baseball or minor league soccer it bodes well to help Hartford’s reputation. 

If Hartford wants to do soccer...I'd hope it would be MLS, and not minor league...that said...I would suspect the NE Revolution, and the two NYC based teams would attempt to block such a move.

1 person likes this

Unfortunately Greg's correct. No way an MLS team comes here. It's minor league or nothing.

1 person likes this

Then don't bother.  Minor league soccer is not going to last.  It didn't before (Hartford He11ions), and it won't now.

You can tell it's the old New Haven Coliseum by the concrete columns in the corners. But as for an MLS team coming here it's doubt**l, what with the Revolution, NYCFC, and even the New York Red Bulls in the area. I also can't imagine that the league itself would want to bring another team into an already saturated market. The best that Hartford could hope for in the way of professional soccer might be the North American Soccer League. That would be the next step down from the MLS on the American soccer pyramid. 

The USL is technically because it's affiliated with the MLS, basically it's minor league. The NASL is independent from the MLS, but it's considered to be at the same level as the USL. Either the USL or NASL would be good fits for Hartford, but I think the NASL, being a league with fewer teams overall would be more likely to grant membership to Hartford. That's just my opinion on the subject. 

1 minute ago, robplays said:

Both USL and NASL were Division II this past season. From the looks of it, USL will be the only Division II league next year.

After taking a look at the number of teams that are not returning to the NASL next season I think you might be right. Looks like more and more are jumping ship to the USL

Well I guess either league would be a very realistic goal. Hope**lly if a team from Hartford gets into one it's a league that won't be on the verge of folding.