Sign in to follow this  
Whalevolution

WolfPack lose 3-2(OT) infront of 2,312

Recommended Posts

It's freaking sad that only 2300 people were at the game. Yes, Sundays are always bad nights for the Pack but this is just bad. Maybe they should just shut the building down and save the state money. There's no way it would be better with a new affiliation or even if the NHL came back. Just look at UConn for example. People would show up for the first couple of years, and then they'd just give up. Connecticut is so **ll of fair weather fans it's just sad. I just can't wait to see the Goats hey no one at games next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every city has fair weather fans and out west it is 10 times worse than it is even in Hartford. The reality is HD TV and suburban children (like i was 10 years ago) being in so many programs has hurt the live sporting event in suburban centers like Hartford County. Add on to all of that the fact that prices for live events have skyrocketed in the last 20 years to go to a game or concert. Most of the hockey kids at the Wolf Pack or UConn games play at half time or played a real game a few hours before on the XL ice (did that 3 times in the 2000s). In the early 90s kids did at most one major activity and most just played outside. So it was easy to take them to every weekend whalers game. Now most parents maybe have 3 times in the fall they can take their kid to an concert or sporting event around their crazy schedule.

For as bad as UConn football is they still get thousands out to games. And honestly any struggling college football team doesn't sell out. Even Boise State has bad attendance since they fell off. Same thing with mens BB. Yes in the 90s and early 2000s they had big crowds. But prices have gone up and unless you donate to Uconn or were grandfathered into nice seats you can't even get a partial or **ll season ticket plan in the lower level. So people just watch the games on TV instead.

Add on to all of this the fact most parents are dragging kids to boy scouts then soccer then dance recital then honors society. Parents are busy nowadays so they only can go see certain events downtown during the school year. And hockey parents like my mom and dad 15 years ago were so busy we hardly could go to a few Wolf Pack games and year. Most times by 7 pm we were so tired from driving and playing 1 and sometimes 2 games a day (for tournaments). In the mid 2000's when i was in High School i was defying sterotypes by being in the Honors Wind Ensemble and Varsity Hockey. That was unheard of decades ago you were either a band geek or a jock. But now this is more common than ever as parents want their kids to do all these things at once to look good for colleges.

Most people at the Uconn games are parents with every kid under the age of 7 (pre travel  hockey and larger scale activities) or they are near empty nest or empty nest adults where their kids are in college or out the house. I literally have ran into 3 or 4 hockey parents (i am 27) from childhood at UConn games. And weekends like this fans are making a clear choice. More people are choosing the spirit and p*****ion of a team that reps Connecticut over a Ranger minor league affiliate. Sure there are more AHL games than NCAA hockey games. But that's not the point. More fans are opting for the spirit of a college game on a given November weekend than they are AHL hockey.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing to point out is something i have been trying to say the last few weeks. College sports matter so much more in small town america and matter less in developed suburban communities. That's why they say football is a pastime up north and a religion down south. In rural areas down south and midwest the entire town shuts down on Fridays and Sa****ays to go to a game. Their kids don't have 10 different activities. All you really have to do in small town America is tailgate and go to the game.

Add to all of this that most colleges outside of the northeast and mid Atlantic have a much bigger pull as far as fans than the smaller states up here have. I was at the sweet 16 in Kansas City this year for business and the entire state of Kansas went across the Missouri River into Kansas City for the tournament. Michigan fans and Purdue Fans drove hours last minute just to support their team as well. But here in Hartford once you get into the 203 area code you have yale and quinnipiac and sacred heart and an hour east you have Providence College,BU, BC, UM***** etc etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that would help the AHL is a new afillation, even a rebrand would have a good impact.

18  years of a brand that is not popular is exactly why they are always in the bottom five in attendance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

It's freaking sad that only 2300 people were at the game. Yes, Sundays are always bad nights for the Pack but this is just bad. Maybe they should just shut the building down and save the state money. There's no way it would be better with a new affiliation or even if the NHL came back. Just look at UConn for example. People would show up for the first couple of years, and then they'd just give up. Connecticut is so **ll of fair weather fans it's just sad. I just can't wait to see the Goats hey no one at games next season.

My gosh you wish so much bad on Hartford.  Did you make your profile name as sarcasm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now, False Hartford Hockey Fan wants the building closed?  Which means no more AHL, no more concerts, no more UConn sports, no more anything?

Yeah...he's phony.  A 24-carat phony.  As bad as Biggie and Hendrickson are, neither of them want the building to close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reality is msg, and the rangers could care less how many people show up to games, there fee is paid to play here..they don’t care about Hartford and never did.. they had there chance to do the right thing without howard and they let him sink purposely.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CRDA has all but confirmed that the Wolf Pack are out after this year, I expect either Amazon to enter the area and change things drastically or else UConn will be given the keys to the building and UConn will use it as their home arena for just about every sport they can hold in there.  You may remember that the CRDA came out late last year and said that UConn can become the prime tenant moving forward, and if UConn did become the prime tenant, there would be a minimum number of games that must be held for each of the UConn sports that is capable of playing there.  

I know that UConn wants a major rebranding of the image of the XL center, and they want banners outside hanging year round that advertise upcoming UConn sporting events and they only want UConn events advertised, after all, there is no money to be made by handing over 2 million dollars a year to the Rangers and then at the same time allowing people such as Biggie to enter with free comped tickets.

 

6584337444372480.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

The CRDA has all but confirmed that the Wolf Pack are out after this year, I expect either Amazon to enter the area and change things drastically or else UConn will be given the keys to the building and UConn will use it as their home arena for just about every sport they can hold in there.  You may remember that the CRDA came out late last year and said that UConn can become the prime tenant moving forward, and if UConn did become the prime tenant, there would be a minimum number of games that must be held for each of the UConn sports that is capable of playing there.  

I know that UConn wants a major rebranding of the image of the XL center, and they want banners outside hanging year round that advertise upcoming UConn sporting events and they only want UConn events advertised, after all, there is no money to be made by handing over 2 million dollars a year to the Rangers and then at the same time allowing people such as Biggie to enter with free comped tickets.

 

6584337444372480.jpeg

hc-crda-xl-center-push-20161116

I see you conveniently left out the picture of the XL Center with the Wolf Pack logos on it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually the CRDA didn’t have any renderings that involved the WP.

 

but that might have been a trademark copyright thing, which is why they only used the Husky logo. 

Baldwins renderings had the AHL logo but that was because he owned it and was running the marketing of the team at the time. 

 

2D89D06C-D01C-4FBA-9DB2-7EC865425231.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Whalevolution said:

Actually the CRDA didn’t have any renderings that involved the WP.

 

but that might have been a trademark copyright thing, which is why they only used the Husky logo. 

Baldwins renderings had the AHL logo but that was because he owned it and was running the marketing of the team at the time. 

 

2D89D06C-D01C-4FBA-9DB2-7EC865425231.jpeg

The picture I posted was one of the renderings from the CRDA. It's also the first picture that pops up when you do a Google Image search for "crda xl center upgrade".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

The picture I posted was one of the renderings from the CRDA. It's also the first picture that pops up when you do a Google Image search for "crda xl center upgrade".

That’s **nny, I’ve never noticed the WP banners on the renderings.  

 

Thats why I don’t think WC is WP98. He wouldn’t purposely leave the WP out.

ive seen renderings where people put Whaler banners so I thought at first that someone added WP banners.  I can’t beloeve I didn’t notice that two years ago. Mybad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this