Sign in to follow this  
Monizzle145

Red Wings Games **ll of Empty Seats in New Arena

Hockeytown is in trouble this year due to the new arena location and outrageous prices. This isn't a one off event it is happening nearly every night for both Pistons and Red Wings games including tonight's game at home vs Boston. Some of these seats are "purchased" too and are empty the entire game.

B99593479Z.1_20171105221135_000_GEL1NI59

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

It probably has something to do with the snow storm that's currently going on there right now. 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/weather/winter-storm-warning-today-5-8-inches-of-snow-expected-in-metro-detroit

Not alll season there are articles and fan photos from late October until now about both the pistons and Red Wings having tons of empty seats. It is beyond the storm today.

17 minutes ago, jerseydiehardwhaler said:

Same thing happens here in jersey, I hear a lot of people complaining about the prices, price for parking and how lousy the lot set up is,to bad because it is a nice arena.

I went to the Rock for Flyers Devils last year and i hate the set up. The concourse entrances are weird and i hate the club center ice area being roped off from the rest of the venue. Parking is cheap through the park whiz app i paid like 8 bucks for a lot on broad street a quarter mile away. Seating wise i hate how the upper deck is so darn high. I got lowers on the blue line on stub hub for like $80 but the face value of those tickets was like around 140ish i think. They def priced out the die hard working cl***** devil fans. A former transplant from jersey had season tickets at Izod for nearly 10+ years with his dad and they cancelled their plan when they moved due to pricing.

FWIW. I was watching the Blues/Wings game last Sa****ay and the Blues announcers actually addressed this. They stated that the reason the viewers were seeing so many empty seats was that while all the tickets were sold there were numerous restaurants, bars, and concourses were fans hung out to watch the game rather than sit in their seats. 

Also according to NHL attendance figures they are playing to 100 percent of capacity. 

Edited by oldetymehcky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oldetymehcky said:

FWIW. I was watching the Blues/Wings game last Sa****ay and the Blues announcers actually addressed this. They stated that the reason the viewers were seeing so many empty seats was that while all the tickets were sold there were numerous restaurants, bars, and concourses were fans hung out to watch the game rather than sit in their seats. 

Also according to NHL attendance figures they are playing to 100 percent of capacity. 

That is very interesting. The last few Yard Goats games I went to, I spent most of the time walking around and watching the game from various areas and spent almost no time in my seat.That's the exact same reason why some Goats games looked like there were many unsold seats when they were in fact sellouts. A picture tells 1,000 words, but they're not always true!

Edited by Mr. Brass Bonanza

The design of modern arenas and ballparks and stadiums with more restaurants and bars and concourse areas that draw fans away from sitting in their seats is definitely having effect on atmosphere in seating areas. Finding the balance of giving people spaces where they can do other **n things in facilities, but also giving people a reason to stay in their seats is challenge of designing modern arenas and ballparks and stadiums. Fans want all the bells and whistles and extras in new arenas and ballparks and stadiums. But how much is too much? When do extras end up threatening to outshine games? 

Pretty much every new arena has the amenities that Monizzle and you speak of.  They even have them at the XL Center, stuff like "the Den" and the new seating area down by the ice are just two examples.  If the building gets the **ll renovation it desperately needs...there will likely be more.

I've seen the Wings on TV from the new building several times, and there are always empty seats.  Same for last week when I watched the Celtics play the Pistons...but the Wings announce every game is a sellout...and the Pistons announced 18,776 for their game against the Celtics Sunday. With the seats having red cushions and white bottoms (like they had at Joe Louis Arena), the empty seats stick out like a sore thumb...

4 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

Pretty much every new arena has the amenities that Monizzle and you speak of.  They even have them at the XL Center, stuff like "the Den" and the new seating area down by the ice are just two examples.  If the building gets the **ll renovation it desperately needs...there will likely be more.

I've seen the Wings on TV from the new building several times, and there are always empty seats.  Same for last week when I watched the Celtics play the Pistons...but the Wings announce every game is a sellout...and the Pistons announced 18,776 for their game against the Celtics Sunday. With the seats having red cushions and white bottoms (like they had at Joe Louis Arena), the empty seats stick out like a sore thumb...

Right every new arena has all you an eat buffets and club lounges for lower level fans at center ice. The Arena and the Wings/Pistons have been trying to spin it that people are in the lunges or clubs. But fans at the games are pointing out the concourses/lounges are not **ll during game play outside of intermission. Fans are posting photos every period and seats are not even touched all game.