WhalerCentral

XL Center just released Big News, partnership with Lyft

Lyft is teaming up with XL Center, Pratt and Whitney Stadium

HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

The company behind the XL Center and Pratt and Whitney Stadium is teaming up with Lyft.

The special partnership with Spectra Venue Management means riders will get special discounts to events.

All you have to do is make sure you hail your rides from special designated areas near the venues.

A promotional code, ‘XLCENTER’, provides up to $5 off for a new user’s first four rides.

Officials said, at all XL Center events, “Lyft p*****engers can easily meet their ride at the designated pickup and drop off location by St. Patrick, St. Anthony Church located on the corner of Church Street and Ann Street.”

Sounds great!! Maybe a side job for the Whalers during the off season when they come back!! Just imagine doing karaoke with Kevin Dineen as your driver!! :lol:

• Like 1

Who actually uses Lyft or Uber to even go to the XL Center. I've been to tons of games and events there and have never seen anyone dropped off by anything other then friends and family. I've seen people going to the Tavern and Agave using ride sharing but not at the XL Center. Also, there hasn't been any promotion for this at anything since this was posted. I wonder how many people when know about it, or even care? I have a feeling more people will just use this to get to the bars on Ann and Allyn, than to the XL Center.

9 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Who actually uses Lyft or Uber 

Not too many people use Lyft, only 500 Million rides so far...  :D

5534103603773440.png

Edited by WhalerCentral

10 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Who actually uses Lyft or Uber to even go to the XL Center. I've been to tons of games and events there and have never seen anyone dropped off by anything other then friends and family. I've seen people going to the Tavern and Agave using ride sharing but not at the XL Center. Also, there hasn't been any promotion for this at anything since this was posted. I wonder how many people when know about it, or even care? I have a feeling more people will just use this to get to the bars on Ann and Allyn, than to the XL Center.

How do you know they were being dropped off by friends or family. Those could be Uber or Lyft drivers. Just because you don't use something doesn't mean that others don't. 

I have used Uber while on business trips/vacation to get to sporting events or other off site events. However for a minor league hockey game or college sports it's better to carpool by your own car or drive to a cheaper outer rim lot by the XL. Even with $5 off it's not worth it to lyft to a game/concert unless you live in a west hartford or Bloomfield or other surrounding town. Otherwise the ride from the outer suburbs is way too expensive for a minor league game.

The better deal would be for free parking lots  or single lot for ticket holders to wolf pack or uconn hockey games.

1 hour ago, CaptainBrambles said:

How do you know they were being dropped off by friends or family. Those could be Uber or Lyft drivers. Just because you don't use something doesn't mean that others don't. 

Lyft and Uber have signage on their cars so people know what cars to get into. That's how I know.

3 minutes ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

I didn't say no one uses it if you knew how to read. I asked if people even use it to go to the XL Center.

Josh, most people being dropped off on Ann Street and Trumbull are using Uber or Lyft.

Lyft and uber are more popular in cities that have better lighting are more walkable and have younger populations living downtown. Hartford is the exact opposite of that. Not saying people are using these services for nights out and concerts. But Hartford isn't a huge lyft/uber market per say. Especially that whole thing about millienials moving out of the state going on.

1 hour ago, MarkH2919 said:

Except there are younger people living in Hartford.

For now, but they're all moving out. Every news article and thought report is about how they're all leaving because Hartford and CT don't have the things they "need". There's a lack of "culture", tech centers, jobs, and schools. It also doesn't help that the governor is killing a lot of the things millennials are looking for when moving into a city or a state.

UConn Hartford just opened.  There are apartments all over the downtown area that are rented by younger people.  Now...if you want to argue that a deal between the XL and Lyft doesn't make much sense because of the lack of people at XL events...that's a fair argument.  But to say that the younger people are "moving out of Hartford" isn't really true.  Not yet anyway.

4 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

UConn Hartford just opened.  There are apartments all over the downtown area that are rented by younger people.  Now...if you want to argue that a deal between the XL and Lyft doesn't make much sense because of the lack of people at XL events...that's a fair argument.  But to say that the younger people are "moving out of Hartford" isn't really true.  Not yet anyway.

Well, then talk to the Courant because they're the ones that have reported about millennials leaving Hartford since before UConn Hartford opened, and even had an article about it a month ago about them still leaving after it opened.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:15 AM, MarkH2919 said:

In theory it is. Yes there are young people that live downtown and in the west end i know many people who a 3 or 4 years back started off in the west end of Hartford with buddies as a start post moving out of their parents house. Ultimately this is just a turnstile where people stay during their college or graduate or early 20's years and then move out of the state between 25-30. The other thing is most of these people need a car due to terrible public transit and needs to commute to suburban corporate offices for some companies.

Whereas people i know who moved to boston or new york post college sold their cars or stored them at a parents house in CT while moving to these cities without a car. Thus lyft and uber being a needed method of transportation.