Whalevolution

Hartford NHL Never? Ahhh not so fast

About 10min in a ? Comes in about Islanders.  At 13:15 He says Hartford as a possibility while arena in Belmont is built.  He says he has inside info on this 

Best news in a while even if just a "possibility"

• Like 1

There is a 60% chance that we will have confirmation by the end of the year that the Islanders are moving to Hartford, we now realize why Governor Malloy and Mayor Bronin were pushing so hard for the Islanders, they knew the Islanders were on the move and the closest available city is Hartford.  It also makes sense why the XL Center rushed to finish installing the new NHL capable ice sheet, everything continues to happen on schedule.

2 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

There is a 60% chance that we will have confirmation by the end of the year that the Islanders are moving to Hartford, we now realize why Governor Malloy and Mayor Bronin were pushing so hard for the Islanders, they knew the Islanders were on the move and the closest available city is Hartford.  It also makes sense why the XL Center rushed to finish installing the new NHL capable ice sheet, everything continues to happen on schedule.

You betting the house on your 60% chance! You must got money to burn!!

8 hours ago, radcon said:

When doesn't every sport talk show host have "insider communication" with someone!! All rumors, don't count on it! 

Not your average insider 

Sports talk giant and to boot last show 

He could burn his sources he's out now

Literally have been listening to Mike since i was in diapers in the early 90s since my dad could get the station her in Hartford county so he will be missed on air. That said i don't think the islanders will come here given the tv money they get to stay in the NYC metro area. They could have nobody in the Barclays for 41 home games and the TV money alone is of more value that the limited season ticket revenue in Brooklyn. This is why we have empty seats in Detriot, Carolina, Florida and many other markets for most home games and the teams are fine cause the TV money is flowing. Mike also may have an "insider" but he doesn't have as much knowledge/sources for hockey. Horse racing, Football and Baseball are his wheelhouse not hockey. 

So let me see if I have this straight...everybody on this board that has done nothing but complain about not hearing anything in the media about a possible move (even a temporary one) is now going to complain that Francesa's sources aren't legit?????  Really? 

It's nice to be mentioned...and I do believe it is a possibility that the Isles could move here on a short term basis...but it would be better...if Belmont went to the soccer team and the Isles moved here permanently.  That said, if the Islanders come here on a short term basis, I'll go to as many games as I can financially swing, and I would like to believe the rest of you so called Hartford supporters would do the same.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

Governor Malloy and **ture Governor Bronin are on board, the ISLANDERS are most likely coming to Hartford in the next few months, NHL is back and this is happening.

C3xC7-xW8AAEe8H.jpg

Does that letter come with a few million dollars in revenue minimum that the Islanders would lose from a clause in the MSG contract that says they have to stay within the New York Metro? If so that letter is worthless.

11 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

Does that letter come with a few million dollars in revenue minimum that the Islanders would lose from a clause in the MSG contract that says they have to stay within the New York Metro? If so that letter is worthless.

You’re talking about revenue but the islanders dknt have an arena to play in. 

11 minutes ago, jerseydiehardwhaler said:

Actually they play in an arena called the Barclays center which they have a current contract for. Regardless of the empty seats it is still an arena that is in the New York City Metro thus allowing it to cash in on a New York based tv market. Moving to Hartford would not only hurt Ad money it would breach the part of the MSG contract where they have to play their home games in the nyc metro.

15 minutes ago, jerseydiehardwhaler said:

They'd stay in Brooklyn or even move to N*****au before moving to Hartford. If they moved to the XL Center they'd lose a guaranteed $300 million. There's no way they'd give that up to play in a 40 year old building.

13 minutes ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

They'd stay in Brooklyn or even move to N*****au before moving to Hartford. If they moved to the XL Center they'd lose a guaranteed $300 million. There's no way they'd give that up to play in a 40 year old building.

Right it was $300 million i was trying to remember that amount they get for staying in NYC. We can't even get an investor to put down $10 million toward a new arena let alone having $300 million to make up for just one part of the contract.

I have spoken to a few islanders fans (one at a party last night the other was an isles season ticket  holder at a concert on long island this summer). If the Barclays deal ends and there is no arena built at belmont the coliseum would be the next best option. Many islanders fans don't wanna pay for the overpriced LIRR or drive into BK during rush hour. But if they had something back on long island those fans would go more. 

2 hours ago, Monizzle145 said:

Actually they play in an arena called the Barclays center which they have a current contract for. Regardless of the empty seats it is still an arena that is in the New York City Metro thus allowing it to cash in on a New York based tv market. Moving to Hartford would not only hurt Ad money it would breach the part of the MSG contract where they have to play their home games in the nyc metro.

Ahhh they want to leave and Barclays don’t want them there.. you guys are all really anti Hartford wow

The Islanders are most likely moving to Hartford in the coming months, this has been widely reported on now.

Who should I listen to?  Should I listen to the Governor of Connecticut, the Mayor of Hartford, NGSC Sports network, Mike Francesa who has spent 30 years on New York sports radio who have all mented the Islanders moving to Hartford; or should I instead listen to a hand**l of Debbie Downers on this forum who keep talking about some cable TV deal?

I will be getting my news from the Governor, Mayor, and Mike Francesa.

Mike Francesa has always been an annoying, pompous blowhard. With that said, to trivialize the sources of a guy who was king/co-king of sports radio in NYC for 3 decades is laughable.

The anti-Hartford Ranger fans on this board are also laughable. But, on the other hand, maybe they're hoping to avoid Hartford suddenly having the same # of Stanley Cups in one move as the Rags have won in a century.

Oh, & that includes decades during which the Rags had only 5 other teams in the NHL. 

• Like 2

I know this might be difficult for some to understand, but here goes...

That TV deal was $300M over the life of the contract, not $300M per year.  So, to say the Islanders would lose $300M if they moved to Hartford, even temporarily, is not accurate.  Next...Na$$au Coliseum is NOT an option, the Islanders say that, and the NHL says that.  It's Barclays...or Belmont...or bust.  If people in NY sports radio are even mentioning Hartford, and that came from a guy very much in the know of what's going on with ALL NYC teams, then the possibility, remote as it may be, of them playing in Hartford is there.  Is it a long shot?  Yes.  Should it be completely dismissed?  No, at least not at the moment.

It is no secret that the people that run Barclays want the Islanders out.  It's also no secret the Islanders themselves want out.  But, for now, they don't have anyplace in NYC metro area to go.  MSG is not an option.  Uniondale is not an option, and depending on what happens in Brooklyn, Barclays is probably not a long term option either.  So....if Belmont gets awarded to NYCFC...the Islanders will be in a really, really tough spot.  Hartford can be a landing place...no conference movement, he!!, no division movement...we would be...and stop me if you've heard this before...a solution to a problem

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MarkH2919 said:

That TV deal was $300M over the life of the contract, not $300M per year.

$300 million is what is remaining on their current TV contract. That doesn't include their ads and other contracts that they'd lose by leaving New York.