Whalevolution

Hartford NHL Never? Ahhh not so fast

Next 6 months, we will have confirmation of the following 3 sports leagues for Hartford:

1. XFL - lot of speculation that the league might be coming back in late January, Hartford to get a team
  2. NHL - lot of speculation about the Islanders coming to Hartford in the next 6-12 months
  3. USL - Dillon Stadium, appears that a professional soccer team is coming to Hartford

23 hours ago, jerseydiehardwhaler said:

This will prove to be that Harford is a viable nhl market..

Yeah...not so sure about that. If the Isles come here on a temporary basis, and we all know it, are you that confident that a state **ll of fickle front-running fans will plunk down NHL level cash for a team that's leaving in 30-36 months anyway? I'm not sure that it'll be the instant sell-out we'd all hope for. The ONLY way it could even come close to working is if it is marketed as our opportunity to show the NHL that we want our Whalers back.  It has to be sold that way and beaten to death or forget ever seeing the NHL here again.

1 hour ago, jerseydiehardwhaler said:

Means ***** if they have nowhere to play biggie liar anti 

They would find a place to play for the TV money. I know the NHL doesn't want them back in the new coliseum but if they won't approve the new coliseum i can't seem the NHL approving the isles to go to Hartford even for a temporary time. If things got real, belmont fell apart and the barclays kicked the isles out for real i think the NHL would allow them to go back to the new coliseum. 

"$300 million is what is remaining on their current TV contract. That doesn't include their ads and other contracts that they'd lose by leaving New York."

That deal runs until 2030/2031, per Forbes, at roughly $24M/year.  But...would the deal become null and void if the Islanders were here temporarily?  Could the deal be renegotiated?  Ads and contracts can be signed here to make up for the ones they could lose if they moved here, even short term.  And...MSG isn't available in the northern half of the state...would it be worth it to MSG to get back into the state from border to border by making a new deal?  Lots of variables...that's the point.

18 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

They'd stay in Brooklyn or even move to N*****au before moving to Hartford. If they moved to the XL Center they'd lose a guaranteed $300 million. There's no way they'd give that up to play in a 40 year old building.

They can't go to N*****ua it's only holds 12k seats and is owned by the same group that owns Barclays. 

I know you hate anything good for Hartford but you are just going to have to eat this one.  Hartford is a possibility.

13 hours ago, HartfordHomeOfTheWhalers said:

Mike Francesa has always been an annoying, pompous blowhard. With that said, to trivialize the sources of a guy who was king/co-king of sports radio in NYC for 3 decades is laughable.

The anti-Hartford Ranger fans on this board are also laughable. But, on the other hand, maybe they're hoping to avoid Hartford suddenly having the same # of Stanley Cups in one move as the Rags have won in a century.

Oh, & that includes decades during which the Rags had only 5 other teams in the NHL. 

Yea while this is unlikely it's possible and the credibility doesn't get much better than this  and if someone is poo-pooing it then they should just hand in their Hartford Hockey card membership because you are not a Hartford fan.

Certainly one can thank it's not happening but the guy said possible and if you can't agree with that you are just projecting anti Hartford sentiment in my opinion.

This actually makes sense on why Malloy was chasing Islanders he knew they were screwed 

• Like 3

Until we know who gets the Belmont deal, it would be very silly to mark anything involving the Islanders as impossible, including a possible move, either temporarily, or permanently, to Hartford.

• Like 2

There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes, involving the Governor, Mayor, Investors, NHL, the Islanders, and they are operating with long term solutions, and by the time you folks get hint of the developments - the deal will have already been signed.  All I will say is, 2018 will be the biggest year for Hartford yet, there are not only many teams trying to come to Hartford, but there are many LEAGUES trying to get into Hartford, we are the biggest sports market and TV sports market in the country that is lacking a professional big league team.

"This actually makes sense on why Malloy was chasing Islanders he knew they were screwed"

Despite what most people in CT think, Malloy is not stupid.  And I'm sure that isn't the only team he has chased.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkH2919 said:

Well, earlier this month, Carolina (for now) was crossed off the list of potential relocation candidates...and now, it looks like we can officially cross of the Islanders as well.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-new-arena-belmont-park-1.15519161

I mean they do still need somewhere to go until it's built so I wouldn't cross them off as temporary relocation canidates

• Like 1

We can cross them off as being here permanently.  I think that a$$uming they break ground in the next 3-4 months, which would put the 30 month timeframe on track, the Islanders, reluctantly, will make nice with Barclays Center and play there until the new building is ready.

I am personally of the belief here that the Isles will not go back to the Barclays because they both want out and there's absolutely no way they're going to get the $50 mil a year thing again next year. Where they will go, not sure. But it won't be N*****ua or Barclays. MSG seems pretty difficult. I'm just saying not to cross Hartford off for this temporary thing just yet. Do I think it's likely they'd move to Hartford temporarily, probably not, but I can keep hoping 'til I hear an announcement officially.

Edited by canadawhale
  • Like 1

Barclays pvc pipes are costly and ineffective on the ice sheet too.

I do hope they leave Barclays and even if so Hartford once again is a long shot even as a temp home. Although the city and state will be welcoming on rent and perks if they ever talk.

canadawhale:

MSG is out...they have to balance all of their concerts and other events with the Knicks and Rangers.  Remember...MSG is one of the busiest arenas in the world in terms of events.

I agree about Na$$au.  Building is too small, even for temp use.  Capacity is only like 13,800 for hockey.

I do think there is a very small chance the Islanders could play here for a season or two, but I think their preference, as well as the league's preference, is to make nice with Barclays and play there until the arena at Belmont is ready.  

On 12/18/2017 at 10:49 AM, WhalerCentral said:

There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes, involving the Governor, Mayor, Investors, NHL, the Islanders, and they are operating with long term solutions, and by the time you folks get hint of the developments - the deal will have already been signed.  All I will say is, 2018 will be the biggest year for Hartford yet, there are not only many teams trying to come to Hartford, but there are many LEAGUES trying to get into Hartford, we are the biggest sports market and TV sports market in the country that is lacking a professional big league team.

Man!! I don't know how you keep all this stuff straight!! 

From today's ESPN article...

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21826054/new-york-islanders-leave-brooklyn-return-suburbs

The Islanders will stay in Brooklyn through the end of next season. No date was given for when the new arena will open.

OK...here is what we know.  It will take roughly 30 months from the time shovels go into the ground to the time they cut the ribbon on the new arena at Belmont Park.  So, unless the Islanders and the people at Barclays Center come up with a plan for the Isles to play at Barclays in the 2019/2020 season...they will need a temporary spot for one season (or possibly a little longer, if there are construction delays).  Figure MSG is out because they already have over 300 events per year there, and it would be borderline impossible for them to have another 40ish dates.  Figure Na$$au is very unlikely, due to lack of capacity and the fact the league doesn't really like looking stupid.  So if they don't stay at Barclays...that could possibly put Hartford in play.  But...all of that said...a lot can happen between now and the fall of 2019.

• Like 1

It's too bad that 160 million for the redone coliseum didn't go toward belmont. It appears the bigger gripe with na$$au is outside of the smaller capacity as much as the NHL wants venues to be public transit friendly which the coliseum is far from. Agree 100% Mark about MSG they are overbooked between the concerts and bill joey residency and the many sports teams that play there. It's part of the reason the coliseum had some great concerts they couldn't fit into MSG.

All in all this is a win for the islander fans who won't have to pay expensive prices to take the LIRR to the barclays.

"It's too bad that 160 million for the redone coliseum didn't go toward belmont. It appears the bigger gripe with na$$au is outside of the smaller capacity as much as the NHL wants venues to be public transit friendly which the coliseum is far from"

It's also too bad that the Islanders didn't think of this 5-6 years ago, they'd have their new building, and the old coliseum would have been torn down, saving Na$$au County a lot of money.

6 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

"It's too bad that 160 million for the redone coliseum didn't go toward belmont. It appears the bigger gripe with na$$au is outside of the smaller capacity as much as the NHL wants venues to be public transit friendly which the coliseum is far from"

It's also too bad that the Islanders didn't think of this 5-6 years ago, they'd have their new building, and the old coliseum would have been torn down, saving Na$$au County a lot of money.

Well, they did try to do this at the N*****au Coliseum with their "Lighthouse Project" in 2009, but the county voted against the plans in 2012. That's why the Islanders moved to the Barclays Center in the first place. The Lighthouse Project included a lot of the same things they're building at Belmont.