WhalerCentral

Canadian News reporting: Ottawa wants to move, Hartford is mentioned

Ottawa Senators owner brought up the idea of relocating, mentioned over the weekend, and stating that a new downtown arena in Ottawa might never happen.

Ottawa is going to be looking for a city that has the capability of hosting an NHL team, that has an arena up to NHL standards, preferably with a new NHL approved ice sheet and that has a local government, such as Governor and Mayor, that wants the NHL to be there.  I think I know of a nearby city that fits all those requests.

4788576469647360.png

This is major news, this news is only 24 hours old.

Don Cherry just said that "Ottawa is gone for sure."

Infamous “Hockey Night in Canada” commentator/celebrity Don Cherry made headlines in Canada over the weekend, declaring “he’s gone” if Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk doesn’t see a swift, positive click forward in attendance in Canada’s capital city.

“You can’t survive with 13,000 (fans),” said Cherry. “He’s gone, Ottawa’s gone for sure

4 minutes ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Islanders, Hurricanes, Coyotes, Panthers, and now the Senators are "rumored" to move to Hartford? Good to know. 

How long until Boston and Montreal will be rumoured to be moving to Hartford lol

• Like 1

Some of you guys are new here but 7 years ago Hartford didn't ever get a mention anywhere.  Some of us have been at it this long that we probably had an impact on getting the word out on social media regarding Hartford. Granted there rumors, granted some of those teams won't consider Hartford.  But compared to being ignored, I'll take this and I'm happy Hartford is getting "mentions"

• Like 1

Not to sound like the other Hartford haters on here...but I read the article Frank mentions...and Hartford is not mentioned...in fact, no city is mentioned, except Ottawa.

Hartford is mentioned: There are many articles reporting that Ottawa is very close to leaving.

Although the politics of hockey may not be new, it does effect wagering in Nevada. The Sens are already in a slump and news about moving usually is negative to a team’s play on the ice. Just ask any hockey fan in Hartford, Atlanta (twice; Flames and Thrashers) and Winnipeg, among others.

2 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

Hartford is mentioned: There are many articles reporting that Ottawa is very close to leaving.

Although the politics of hockey may not be new, it does effect wagering in Nevada. The Sens are already in a slump and news about moving usually is negative to a team’s play on the ice. Just ask any hockey fan in Hartford, Atlanta (twice; Flames and Thrashers) and Winnipeg, among others.

Apparently reading comprehension, among many other things, is not a strength  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

Not to sound like the other Hartford haters on here...but I read the article Frank mentions...and Hartford is not mentioned...in fact, no city is mentioned, except Ottawa.

On that note I'll shut up.   I guess I took Frank literally. 

1 year from now, the Coyotes will be looking for a new home, that is what a 1-year contract means, all it does is push back their move to Hartford just one year in the **ture, it doesn't stop the inevitable.   I think the most realistic possibility is that the Coyotes play one last lame d u c k season in Arizona before coming here for the 2019/20 season. That would give everyone time to get all things lined up, both on the Coyotes end, and on our end; such as season tickets, more state bonding for renovations, marketing and so on.

Listen Frank...I know you're trying to get under everybody's skin.  You've finally figured out that IF we get a team that it would be Arizona, but that's still not happening because we don't have our ducks in a row.  In fact...the state doesn't even own the entirety of the XL Center yet.  Until that happens...there's nothing to do but wait.

2 minutes ago, MarkH2919 said:

Listen Frank...I know you're trying to get under everybody's skin.  You've finally figured out that IF we get a team that it would be Arizona, but that's still not happening because we don't have our ducks in a row.  In fact...the state doesn't even own the entirety of the XL Center yet.  Until that happens...there's nothing to do but wait.

We do have our ducks in a row, stop bashing Hartford, we have a new ice sheet, we have a new Governor next year, we have a new transportation system in central Connecticut, we have a new Uconn campus around the corner, we have a new award winning baseball stadium, we have another $40 million dollars approved for XL upgrades and construction, we might even have new ownership of the XL center, we have a new soccer stadium around the corner, and while all of this is going on, we have about 4 or 5 NHL teams in serious jeopardy, Panthers, Ottawa, Hurricanes, Coyotes, a lot of stuff is going on in Hartford.

I'm not bashing Hartford.  I'm just stating facts.

FACT:  The XL is not solely owned.  The Coliseum is owned by the city/state, the atrium is still owned by Northland.  Until the atrium is sold to the city/state, there is no chance of anything else happening.  And the $40M is for the purchase of said atrium and the repairs that are necessary for the sale of the entire building, not just part of it.

Also, stop with Carolina.  They're not going anywhere....especially back here....as long as PK owns a good chunk of the team.  Once PK sells his share...all bets are off, but for now...they're off the table.  Arizona is the likeliest candidate to move anywhere at this point...and from the sounds of it, even that's delayed 12 months since they extended their lease in Glendale through 2018/19.

Edited by MarkH2919

On 12/19/2017 at 4:22 PM, Whalevolution said:

Some of you guys are new here but 7 years ago Hartford didn't ever get a mention anywhere.  Some of us have been at it this long that we probably had an impact on getting the word out on social media regarding Hartford. Granted there rumors, granted some of those teams won't consider Hartford.  But compared to being ignored, I'll take this and I'm happy Hartford is getting "mentions"

Right and in another 7 years we will have someone pledging to invest $40 into a new arena. Rumors are jokes without actions and real people and real changes. Until there is real change and not middle school gossip progress doesn't mean anything.

Woke up this morning and the Ottawa newspapers are talking about Ottawa moving South, telling readers to have "pa_s5_ports ready" if they want to see their team play next year, the "pa_s5_ports ready" is the newspaper's words, not mine.

Edited by WhalerCentral

3 minutes ago, MarkH2919 said:

Do you have a link to this "story" or is this just you blowing smoke again?

It is all over the Ottawa news, you and the rest of them on here will not be laughing when the deal is done in Hartford next year, I cannot wait to rub it in all of your faces.

People of Ottawa were put on notice by their own newspapers, to have their pa@s$ports ready, the team is going South.

4882076833939456.png

Again, you don't know how to read...and, this newspaper is based in Vancouver, which is oh...2500 miles or so from Ottawa.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ed-willes-keep-p*****ports-handy-if-you-want-to-see-nhls-newest-teams

NHL's NEWEST teams....that means expansion, Frank.  Not relocation.

Oh, and I hope we do get a team, in fact, I'm still rather confident we will get one...and believe me, I won't be laughing if it happens.  I'll probably be crying...tears of joy.  

9 minutes ago, MarkH2919 said:

Again, you don't know how to read...and, this newspaper is based in Vancouver, which is oh...2500 miles or so from Ottawa.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ed-willes-keep-p*****ports-handy-if-you-want-to-see-nhls-newest-teams

NHL's NEWEST teams....that means expansion, Frank.  Not relocation.

Oh, and I hope we do get a team, in fact, I'm still rather confident we will get one...and believe me, I won't be laughing if it happens.  I'll probably be crying...tears of joy.  

You seem to have problems reading.

From the article, just under the picture of the Senators' owner: "  ... if that happens, the Sens would likely be heading South. "

The Senators are an existing team, thus it would be a relocation, not an expansion.  Relocation of the Senators to south of the border, they are coming to the U.S., most likely Hartford.

1 hour ago, WhalerCentral said:

You seem to have problems reading.

From the article, just under the picture of the Senators' owner: "  ... if that happens, the Sens would likely be heading South. "

The Senators are an existing team, thus it would be a relocation, not an expansion.  Relocation of the Senators to south of the border, they are coming to the U.S., most likely Hartford.

You do realize that there are options in Canada that would still be south of Ottawa, right? "[H]eading South" doesn't mean they're crossing the border at all, especially when you consider that Hamilton, Toronto (Markham), Peterborough, Kingston, Prince Edward Island, and plenty of other Canadian cities are south of Ottawa.

Edited by TrueHartfordHockeyFan