Sign in to follow this  
Whalerwatch

NBA Owners should start Major League Hockey League

I think the idea could work. The owners of the Cleveland Cavs and San Antonio Spurs both own AHL Hockey Teams in their home markets. The Houston Rockets Ownership would like an NHL team but the league doesn't seem interested. I could see the owner of the Chicago Bulls buying the Chicago Wolves of the AHL.  Additional teams could be placed in Quebec and Hartford. There could be some non NBA Owners. But I think those teams should find an NBA team to affilate with. The idea would be for the NBA teams to **nd the Hockey teams so they could go out amd get players. The new league could try and use NBA to work out tv deals with ESPN and Turner Sports. Airing games on NBA TV could be an option. 

Edited by Whalerwatch

This would never work, especially since there are owners in the NBA that own NHL teams. They'd never allow a few of the other owners to try and create a league to compete with the NHL. It would be bad for business and there's no way they'd ever show hockey on NBA TV, and i just can't see ESPN would working with a brand new hockey league.

"especially since there are owners in the NBA that own NHL teams"

There aren't that many...Rangers, Capitals and Maple Leafs are the only 3 I can think of.  Are there more?

Edited by MarkH2919

I'm going to try and say this simply because it can get con**sing by saying who owns who but the 76ers own the Devils, Wizards own the Capitals, Nuggets own Avalanche,  AEG owns part of the Lakers, and one of the monitory owners of the Celtics is working with the group in Seattle.

Also, the guy who owns the Magic had been involved with hockey since 1995. He created three IHL teams, and owns an ECHL team, the Solar Bears. His son owns the Griffins and partner of the owns of the Red Wings.

A few NBA teams either used to own NHL teams or share their arenas, or "sports complex", with a team they don't own. I don't think they'd want to "burn that bridge" by trying to start a league to compete with the NHL.

Why make it harder than it has to be. The NBA owners can conspire among themselves and just purchase NHL teams one by one as they come up for sale. If you think about it, other than a hand**l of NHL teams, they're all for sale (even if their current owners aren't saying that publically). There's plenty of failing hockey teams that are ripe for NBA owners (or anybody else for that matter) with deep pockets.

I hope this is a troll topic/post. ESPN and Turner isn't even thirsty for NCAA or NHL hockey. why would minor league hockey be any different? And the sports world runs on TV money. No nba owner is going to do anything outside of the AHL which again can't even get lucrative tv deals nationally.