124 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, WallytheWhaler said:

That's the only place you'll see "Hartford" and "XL Center." Everywhere else says "Storrs" lol

Yes storrs is the main campus. Lol

but yet again UConn plays at the XL on their satellite campus. 

1 hour ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

It's not when you realize were paying for pretty everything *****ociated with UConn hockey. We own the building and are paying for it through taxes. We also own the team since it's a state school and we give the school money though taxes, and I give them money though alumni donations. We pay the players because of scholarships and the school gives them room and board, and we help pay for that through the things I already mentioned. Then, after all of that, we still pay to watch them play. So, there is a difference, we know how much we pay the Wolf Pack but we really don't know the millions we pay UConn every year to play in Hartford. Oh, I also forgot, since they are playing in Hartford we have to pay to bus them and students to and from the games all the time. Well, unless they use Uber and save $20.

I agree but it's irrelevant to who makes money for the XL. 

The XL Is owned by the city different budget but the aff  fee is part of the XL budget

14 minutes ago, WallytheWhaler said:

So the XL Center is now considered to be psychically on a UConn "campus"? Never knew the entire city of Hartford doubled as a college campus LOL

Entire?

No

1 hour ago, Whalevolution said:

Entire?

No

Well, the XL Center isn't on campus either. Heck, there is even a college that's closer and even school inside the XL Center. Also, the campus is close to is a satellite campus, and not the main campus. I doubt that fits within Hockey East's rules. If it did for the rules then they wouldn't be actively trying to expand or replace their rink on campus for the 2020 season.

Uconn is connecticut's college hockey team. That's why they can play home games in Hartford and Bridgeport and get crowds. Hockey fans of QU and Yale are alumni or people that have family ties to those schools. Someone like me who grew up in Hartford county went to college at ECSU and love hockey tie to Uconn hockey because they are the flagship public university people cheer  for. Uconn may pull as many fans from Fairfield and New Haven counties for hockey. But the majority of people around CT identify with uconn athletics (including hockey) over any other school.

56 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

Uconn is connecticut's college hockey team. That's why they can play home games in Hartford and Bridgeport and get crowds. Hockey fans of QU and Yale are alumni or people that have family ties to those schools. Someone like me who grew up in Hartford county went to college at ECSU and love hockey tie to Uconn hockey because they are the flagship public university people cheer  for. Uconn may pull as many fans from Fairfield and New Haven counties for hockey. But the majority of people around CT identify with uconn athletics (including hockey) over any other school.

Well said

There are UConn cl*****es held in the XL building.  

or simply put they are "Connecticut's Team"

Like the flyer said 

"Uconn is connecticut's college hockey team. That's why they can play home games in Hartford and Bridgeport and get crowds. Hockey fans of QU and Yale are alumni or people that have family ties to those schools. Someone like me who grew up in Hartford county went to college at ECSU and love hockey tie to Uconn hockey because they are the flagship public university people cheer  for. Uconn may pull as many fans from Fairfield and New Haven counties for hockey. But the majority of people around CT identify with uconn athletics (including hockey) over any other school."

Perfectly said, I could not have said it better.

Yale and QU have their small fanbases...not saying it as a knock on either, but they're not drawing the crowds UConn drew regularly until this season...unless they played each other.  Yale/QU in Bridgeport could sellout...and I'm not kidding when I say that.

1 hour ago, Whalevolution said:

There are UConn cl*****es held in the XL building.  

No there aren't. Now you're making stuff up y to prove your point? I thought that was only WC, Mark, and Jersey. It's pretty sad when the supposed administrator had to lie to make himself feel important.

1 person likes this

The whole playing downtown thing is a joke of an argument. Many college football and basketball teams play off campus due to land issues.

57 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

The whole playing downtown thing is a joke of an argument. Many college football and basketball teams play off campus due to land issues.

I agree, but it's a Hockey East rule that the rink had to be on campus. They gave UConn a grace period to get the money together, hey the plans made, and build an arena. They've already been given one extension and Hockey East said that they won't give them another. So, they have to build a rink or be kicked out of the conference.

4 minutes ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

I agree, but it's a Hockey East rule that the rink had to be on campus. They gave UConn a grace period to get the money together, hey the plans made, and build an arena. They've already been given one extension and Hockey East said that they won't give them another. So, they have to build a rink or be kicked out of the conference.

In that case Uconn would be better testing what Hockey East enforces because Uconn hockey is a great thing to have downtown than on campus. The XL is much easier for a 20 something like me to get to than driving out to Storrs which is **rther and i would be late to leaving from work. Hockey isn't a big on campus sport for most colleges which is why these venues are built so small and most time the tickets are free for students.

Hockey East has limited TV coverage in a niche college sport. If they want to cut Uconn due to the venue by all means they can lol. I will still go to games.

35 minutes ago, Monizzle145 said:

In that case Uconn would be better testing what Hockey East enforces because Uconn hockey is a great thing to have downtown than on campus. The XL is much easier for a 20 something like me to get to than driving out to Storrs which is **rther and i would be late to leaving from work. Hockey isn't a big on campus sport for most colleges which is why these venues are built so small and most time the tickets are free for students.

Hockey East has limited TV coverage in a niche college sport. If they want to cut Uconn due to the venue by all means they can lol. I will still go to games.

True, but with attendance going down and the cost of playing in Hartford, it just might make more sense to build on campus. Also, if they do leave Hockey East then you lose the only highly attended games on UConn's schedule. That would make it even harder to stay in Hartford. 

15 minutes ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

True, but with attendance going down and the cost of playing in Hartford, it just might make more sense to build on campus. Also, if they do leave Hockey East then you lose the only highly attended games on UConn's schedule. That would make it even harder to stay in Hartford. 

There isn't much difference between hockey east and non hockey east teams. QU is out of conference and will draw better than the majority of HE games. Vermont and Merrimack and Um***** are bottom feeder opponents and they got the same ballpark as BU for the first home game. And you could still schedule a few HE teams if you left the conference.

13 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

No there aren't. Now you're making stuff up y to prove your point? I thought that was only WC, Mark, and Jersey. It's pretty sad when the supposed administrator had to lie to make himself feel important.

Nope boy your striking out left and right, I was told that by Mike Friemuth, if it hasn't happened yet I don't know but it's defintiely part of the plan.  

See that's the difference between you and me.  I talk to real people involved in this.  You make crap up, and have zero contacts except Sonar who doesn't speak. 

12 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Wow ok and what s your source for this. 

You need handle bars to be able to pick this up. 

UConn has a campus in Hartford, they play at their satellite campus in Hartford. uconn basketball has done this for decades even without a campus, ****o??

What's your excuse for UConn playing in Hartford when their was no campus in Hartford? 

You think they just hid that fact from the ncaa, and hockey east?  

Hockey East doesn't have a problem, the Governor told me to my face that at least all Hockey East games will be at XL.  Who'd you talk too??? Crickets

I always say it there's always someone on the board who doesn't get it and is lost in their own delusions.  Congrats that's you 

11 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Yea but the cost of playing in Hartford isn't an issue because they make money.  The cost of playing in Hartford is only an issue with one hockey team.  I'll give you 1.5M guesses who that is.

12 hours ago, WallytheWhaler said:

Very true. In UConn's case, it makes more sense to say the team plays off campus at the XL Center instead of trying to make it seem like the building is part of the Hartford satellite campus which it clearly is not.

IF the XL Center was part of the Hartford campus, you'd be seeing "UConn Hartford" signs all over the place as you walk in.....but you don't.

You keep adding things 

UConn has a campus downtown 

They Play at the XL Center downtown. 

Period, there's no more or less to this rwdiculo us argument. And of course the XL is not part of UConn, as I've said 10000 times it's owned by the city. The only thing the XL and UConn have in common is that's where they play and there are or were plans to hold some cl*****es.  I don't know if the RX college has moved out yet but obviously their moving to make room.

"They've already been given one extension and Hockey East said that they won't give them another. So, they have to build a rink or be kicked out of the conference."

Fraudie, you have a lot of balls to accuse people of making stuff up, then come back and say this bull$hit.

UConn isn't "going to get kicked out of the conference".  You tell other people to stop lying, it's about damn time you practice what you preach.

1 person likes this

Just now, MarkH2919 said:

"They've already been given one extension and Hockey East said that they won't give them another. So, they have to build a rink or be kicked out of the conference."

Fraudie, you have a lot of balls to accuse people of making stuff up, then come back and say this bull$hit.

UConn isn't "going to get kicked out of the conference".  You tell other people to stop lying, it's about damn time you practice what you preach.

Amen 

By the way...Springfield had a sellout for their "throwback night".  How did the Pack do at the gate? :lol:

1 hour ago, MarkH2919 said:

By the way...Springfield had a sellout for their "throwback night".  How did the Pack do at the gate? :lol:

I saw pictures of the "sellout". :lol: You should all be so proud.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MarkH2919 said:

The Courant had reported on this for months. That's why UConn is working on their rink on campus. They'll either expand Freitas to hold 5000 seats or build a new one. The governor is a moron and had no clue what he's talking about. I've talked to people all over. These rules are iron clad. It's the reason why Notre Dame remodeled their rink a year after they finished updating it. It has nothing to do with the NCAA. The only way UConn Hockey can keep all of their games in Hartford is if the team moves to Hartford. The team is located in Storrs with the college, if they want to play at the XL Center then they'd have to move the entire team down there. That's the only way. I'm not making any of this up. Even UConn's AD and coach have said the will be moving back to campus. The coach has said he can't wait for that to happen 

1 person likes this

All of my sources are indicating to me that the University of Connecticut will be purchasing the XL Center in the coming months.  UConn was able to come up with $140 million to renovate the Hartford Times building, which is 100 years old; so UConn definitely has deep pockets and has the ability to transform structures which are dated.

If the CRDA decides now is the time to seek a buyer, the move would come just as discussions begin for renewing contracts with the University of Connecticut, the American Hockey League and for naming rights, all sources of revenue for the arena.

And what did your nacho guy people from all over tell you about Basket ball moving back to their home campus in Storrs? 

15 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

All of my sources are indicating to me that the University of Connecticut will be purchasing the XL Center in the coming months.  UConn was able to come up with $140 million to renovate the Hartford Times building, which is 100 years old; so UConn definitely has deep pockets and has the ability to transform structures which are dated.

If the CRDA decides now is the time to seek a buyer, the move would come just as discussions begin for renewing contracts with the University of Connecticut, the American Hockey League and for naming rights, all sources of revenue for the arena.

Well, your sources are lying to you because there is no way UConn is going to buy the XL Center. That would be stupid and it would still mean the "state" would in the XL Center. Where do you think a lot of that money for the Times building came from? It came from us through state taxes. If UConn "bought" the XL Center then it would just mean a change of title but the money for everything would still come from the same place, taxes from us.

1 person likes this