Sign in to follow this  
WhalerCentral

6 weeks from now, BIG WHALERS event at XL Center

Late February 2018, expect a big Whalers event at the XL Center.  The news and developments keep coming, from the new XL Center restaurant, new Soccer stadium coming, new ownership of the XL Center coming this year, the new baseball stadium that recently opened, the news about the NHL possibly increasing to 34 teams... get ready for the late-February event at the XL Center for the Whalers, it will be big.

LMAO....you're a dope, Frankie.

However, he's right, (twice in a year...you're 2 ahead of Fraudie) there is a Whalers event in late February, in cooperation with the Hartford PAL, there is going to be a game where alumni take part...it will be part of Hartford Hockey Heritage weekend.

It's going to be a bigger event than usual, very big.  Everything is happening, Jeff Jacobs gets a promotion to being featured in 8 newspapers, new restaurant opened up at the XL Center, new baseball stadium, a new soccer stadium and soccer team is coming, the XL will be under new ownership (UConn?) shortly, the NHL is talking about moving up to 34 teams, new UConn campus in Hartford, we will have a new Governor a year from next week, Whalers are reported as being the 2nd biggest NHL team in merchandise sales, news reports now from the Law Tribune that they want to hear the Whalers back in 2018, everything is happening at once.

There is a Whalers-themed event, but that's it.  Don't make it sound like it's more than what it is, Frankie.  Seriously.

Honestly, if this is such a big event then why has no one else heard of it? You'd think that this would be promoted like the Goats game that brought back Whalers Alumni, or even the Wolf Pack's Heritage Weekend with their giveaway of a Gordie Howe Bobblehead. No one I know has heard a word about this event outside of a rumor of four or five former players showing up for a pregame at the XL Center.

From what I am hearing, expect there to be a local big name politician with ambitions in attendance there, it will really underline the importance of 2018 for us.

"Honestly, if this is such a big event then why has no one else heard of it? You'd think that this would be promoted like the Goats game that brought back Whalers Alumni, or even the Wolf Pack's Heritage Weekend with their giveaway of a Gordie Howe Bobblehead. No one I know has heard a word about this event outside of a rumor of four or five former players showing up for a pregame at the XL Center."

In due time, my dear Fraudie....in due time.....

I am still looking for this new resturant hahaha. What is the name of it again and how many square feet is it? If the answer is 2 square feet and chick fill a express stand that doesn't count.

22 hours ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Honestly, if this is such a big event then why has no one else heard of it? You'd think that this would be promoted like the Goats game that brought back Whalers Alumni, or even the Wolf Pack's Heritage Weekend with their giveaway of a Gordie Howe Bobblehead. No one I know has heard a word about this event outside of a rumor of four or five former players showing up for a pregame at the XL Center.

Everyones talking about it.  I guess You'd have to be into Hartford Hockey to know about it.  Maybe you should like some FB pages that deal with Hartford Hockey. 

Here are a few:

Hartford Hockey 

The HWBC

The Whalers Brigade

I'm sure you'll keep us update on any Ranger stuff. 

By the Way the GH doll is part of the "event" weekend, as every year since 2014-2015 the Wolf Pack honor the Whalers. 

• Like 1

From what I heard at the BC meeting last night, they are still working on gathering alumni.  Once they have a final list, things will ramp up.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radcon said:

anyone got any new news about this event? Whose going to be in attendance?

I'll be at the Pak game on the 24th to get my Gordie Howe Bobblehead, but there's been no news whatsoever about anything else going on that night. I even asked my ticket rep with the Pack and they had no clue about "any special Whalers stuff/game" that is going on that day. I'm pretty sure they'd know about something like that by now, especially since the Pack only have 5 more games before the 24th. They've been promoting the Gordie Howe Bobblehead for over a month, and I bet they'd love to tell people about an alumni game or any other type of event if it meant they could sell more tickets.

2 hours ago, radcon said:

anyone got any new news about this event? Whose going to be in attendance?

Most of the names I heard were 90's Whalers, but I'm sure they have some from 70s 80s players.  Add in the bobble head and you have a recipe for the largest attended game of the season. 

As we've always said the Pack draw well when they use the Whale

I see the first release of names: Stoughton, Chief Daniels, Propp, Crawford, Jensen.

I got em all!!

Edited by radcon

That list of names is just a start, we have more to be added.  Also, in the same time frame, expect the CT Lottery to run another promotion with Whaler tickets, after the interest shown to the DMV with the Whaler license plate release, we are hearing that the CT Lottery wants to get in on the action.

Whalers-ticket-202x300.jpg

"but there's been no news whatsoever about anything else going on that night. I even asked my ticket rep with the Pack and they had no clue about "any special Whalers stuff/game" that is going on that day. I'm pretty sure they'd know about something like that by now, especially since the Pack only have 5 more games before the 24th. They've been promoting the Gordie Howe Bobblehead for over a month, and I bet they'd love to tell people about an alumni game or any other type of event if it meant they could sell more tickets."

Hey look, everyone, Fraudie is wrong again!!!!!  In other news, the sky is blue.

So much for seeing Stoughton this weekend!! Big disappointment!!

Half of the supposed alumni backed out!!

Edited by radcon

Hey guys the Wolf Pack partnered with PAL 

PAL recruited the Whalers and everything.  The Pack did Gordie Bobleheads which are the highest quality bobble head I've seen in a decade. 

PAL is a charity, you weren't going to see Mike Liut and Ron Francis.  The Whalers you saw were local and could make it, many couldn't but verbalize interest next year. Corriveau literally hadn't skated in over 20 years.  He looked good though. 

Even if the Pack were involved with the recruiting for the Alumni game remember how bizarre this situation is.

The Rangers sell the marketing of the Pack to the Flyers who manage the XL and have a deal to run the Pack on a subsidized **nd from the tax payer.  So understand why the XL needs to get done so event like this will have some money making power behind it.  You may not believe in Trickle Down economics but the XL now will never produce the revenue that a re**rbished XL would. 

Less power bills and more amenities and options will make just about any event bigger and better.

So just ease off the Wolf Pack, the Flyers XL management because they really do the very best they can on a shoe string budget in a building nearly half a century old. 

Truth be told, the alumni game was a lot of **n...I had more **n watching that than I did watching the WolfPack game later on.