Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whalevolution

NHL is nuts now considering temp stay at N*****ua

22 posts in this topic

Uniondale only has roughly 800 fewer seats than the XL.  I believe the current hockey capacity in Hartford would be around 14,700.  Remember, a lot of seats were removed for the fan bar, and this season, seats were taken out behind the goal where the home team shoots once.

Been to over 80 hockey games at the XL (and played a **ll youth hockey game twice there). I have also been to about 10 NHL games on long island. For hockey/concerts Na ss au has much better views and much better parking. Matter of fact going to flyers/isles games from 2011 to 2015 parking was usually around $7 to 10 as well. The upper bowl at the Coliseum has much better views than the XL's upper bowl. And any seat in the lower and mid tiers at the Coliseum have better sight lines than the narrow angled lower bowl XLC seats that have a weird angle. Last year i went to a concert at the coliseum and their bathrooms are better set up than the XL  and maybe they have 1 or 2 less bathrooms but it's the same.

8 hours ago, Whalevolution said:

XL is still way better than N*****au 

More seats

Better Ice

And tons of less traffic 

http://bit.ly/2Dd7jgT

There is less traffic at the XL because people are leaving the state and most events are getting a few thousand people. N*****au has more traffic because they have more people and a larger fanbase in a bigger TV Market. Also the Coliseum has a better traffic flow and more people out there than any XLC event. And the gates at the XL are more crowded than N*****au.

Edited by Monizzle145

Hartford Whalers were a bigger market than the NY Islanders, the Hartford Whalers had higher attendance than the Islanders in the 96-97 season, the final season for the Hartford Whalers.  The Hartford fanbase was also a few cuts above the Islanders fanbase, most guys at Islanders games looked like they just got off the seat of a backhoe down at a lane-widening project on the LIE, while the Hartford fanbase was white collared folks from Avon and Simsbury.  The Islanders are at the bottom of the list, just above the Kings - in last place.

4856281654624256 (1).png

Edited by WhalerCentral

5 minutes ago, WhalerCentral said:

Hartford Whalers were a bigger market than the NY Islanders, the Hartford Whalers had higher attendance than the Islanders in the 96-97 season, the final season for the Hartford Whalers.  The Hartford fanbase was also a few cuts above the Islanders fanbase, most guys at Islanders games looked like they just got off the seat of a backhoe down at a lane-widening project on the LIE, while the Hartford fanbase was white collared folks from Avon and Simsbury.  The Islanders are at the bottom of the list, just above the Kings - in last place.

4856281654624256 (1).png

So the whalers had about 1,000 more people when the Islanders were self destructing their entire team in the 90s and had no success (just like the whalers). The Long Island Market is much bigger than the greater Hartford market hands down. Add to the fact that the Islanders have a small slip of fans in southern CT and points east of long island that also like the mets. Also the tv revenue from the islanders was much bigger than what the whalers ever could get from a CT deal. One of the reasons the islanders will never leave the nyc market and while the whalers are gone.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Monizzle145 said:

So the whalers had about 1,000 more people when the Islanders were self destructing their entire team in the 90s and had no success (just like the whalers). The Long Island Market is much bigger than the greater Hartford market hands down. Add to the fact that the Islanders have a small slip of fans in southern CT and points east of long island that also like the mets. Also the tv revenue from the islanders was much bigger than what the whalers ever could get from a CT deal. One of the reasons the islanders will never leave the nyc market and while the whalers are gone.

It also makes more sense to move into a building that's down the street from where they're building their new one, than to move to an arena in a whole different state that's over a hundred miles away. Especially considering they're about the same size. The other thing is that the N*****au Coliseum has just finished a $100 million renovation while the XL Center is looking to be sold to the highest bidder. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

It also makes more sense to move into a building that's down the street from where they're building their new one, than to move to an arena in a whole different state that's over a hundred miles away. Especially considering they're about the same size. The other thing is that the N*****au Coliseum has just finished a $100 million renovation while the XL Center is looking to be sold to the highest bidder. 

That's why i never bought the idea that the NHL and the islanders would consider the XL over N*****au. Both the coliseum and XL have their flaws. But the Coliseum got a better makeover than the XL and is still at the heart of the fanbase.

Also another thing nobody is talking about is the fact the XL Broadcast Camera setup is stuck in the 1980s where the bench side of the rink is on the bottom instead of the top.

The XL hasn't gotten their makeover.  Yet.

It's not a done deal that the Islanders are going back to Uniondale...though I readily admit, the prospect of it is a lot more likely now that Bettman has seen the renovated arena for himself.

Here is what the main issue is, no other NHL team will be moving to Hartford IF the rebranding of the Carolina Hurricanes takes place, the moment the Hurricanes rebranding takes places (my sources lead me to think it will be soon) then it means the Hurricanes will eventually be coming back to Hartford, and no other NHL team will want to be moving to Hartford knowing that the Hurricanes are working on coming back to Hartford.

At this point, the rebranding of the Carolina Hurricanes will be affecting what teams such as the Islanders, Coyotes, and Flames will be doing to fix their own respective problems.

If the national news media is already talking about the Carolina Hurricanes rebranding, then it means the talks about the issue were taking place at least 6 months ago, the league is working on a 2-3 year plan for Hartford, I am under the impression that the rebranding will take place 12-18 months BEFORE the team is playing on ice in Hartford.

8 hours ago, WhalerCentral said:

Here is what the main issue is, no other NHL team will be moving to Hartford IF the rebranding of the Carolina Hurricanes takes place, the moment the Hurricanes rebranding takes places (my sources lead me to think it will be soon) then it means the Hurricanes will eventually be coming back to Hartford, and no other NHL team will want to be moving to Hartford knowing that the Hurricanes are working on coming back to Hartford.

At this point, the rebranding of the Carolina Hurricanes will be affecting what teams such as the Islanders, Coyotes, and Flames will be doing to fix their own respective problems.

If the national news media is already talking about the Carolina Hurricanes rebranding, then it means the talks about the issue were taking place at least 6 months ago, the league is working on a 2-3 year plan for Hartford, I am under the impression that the rebranding will take place 12-18 months BEFORE the team is playing on ice in Hartford.

The contract for the new owner of the Hurricanes states that he has to keep the team in Raleigh until 2024 and in North Carolina until 2027. They're not moving here no matter what your "sources" are telling you.

9 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

It's not a done deal that the Islanders are going back to Uniondale...though I readily admit, the prospect of it is a lot more likely now that Bettman has seen the renovated arena for himself.

The XL Center would have to had started their upgrade now to be ready for the Islanders, especially if they are only going to work on the building during the summer. They just don't have the time to do the makeover. Also, it now looks like the state doesn't have the money to do the work either now that they've stopped all work on the highways because of lack of **nds. I doubt you'll be seeing any extra money going into the building, especially since they're actively looking for someone to buy it.

10 minutes ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

The contract for the new owner of the Hurricanes states that he has to keep the team in Raleigh until 2024 and in North Carolina until 2027. They're not moving here no matter what your "sources" are telling you.

Carolina is moving here within the next 24 months.

Contracts can be modified and broken.  

"The XL Center would have to had started their upgrade now to be ready for the Islanders, especially if they are only going to work on the building during the summer. They just don't have the time to do the makeover. Also, it now looks like the state doesn't have the money to do the work either now that they've stopped all work on the highways because of lack of **nds. I doubt you'll be seeing any extra money going into the building, especially since they're actively looking for someone to buy it."

Not the point.  They can't start the renovations anyway until the entirety of the building is in the hands of one entity.  Right now, the CRDA still only owns/controls the Coliseum.

6 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

"The XL Center would have to had started their upgrade now to be ready for the Islanders, especially if they are only going to work on the building during the summer. They just don't have the time to do the makeover. Also, it now looks like the state doesn't have the money to do the work either now that they've stopped all work on the highways because of lack of **nds. I doubt you'll be seeing any extra money going into the building, especially since they're actively looking for someone to buy it."

Not the point.  They can't start the renovations anyway until the entirety of the building is in the hands of one entity.  Right now, the CRDA still only owns/controls the Coliseum.

Then why would that move to Hartford when they can play down the street from where they're building their new arena? Moving to Hartford for a short time makes no sense at all when there's a building that's of the same size but is technically newer. Also, it's closer to their fans considering it's on the same street.

With the breaking news of the Hurricanes under new management, and with the other breaking news of Aetna deciding to remain in Hartford, expect to see renovations placed on an accelerated timetable, you're going to see hammers being swung faster than ever before and concrete poured year-round, they were able to build the Yard Goat baseball stadium from scratch in almost record time, so renovating an existing structure could probably be done easily in under 16 months, things are going to be happening fast to meet the new deadlines presented by today's news.

"Then why would that move to Hartford when they can play down the street from where they're building their new arena? Moving to Hartford for a short time makes no sense at all when there's a building that's of the same size but is technically newer. Also, it's closer to their fans considering it's on the same street."

All I said was the XL Renovation hasn't happened...yet.  Don't read more into it, Fraudie.

6 hours ago, MarkH2919 said:

"Then why would that move to Hartford when they can play down the street from where they're building their new arena? Moving to Hartford for a short time makes no sense at all when there's a building that's of the same size but is technically newer. Also, it's closer to their fans considering it's on the same street."

All I said was the XL Renovation hasn't happened...yet.  Don't read more into it, Fraudie.

I said that because you implied in this post:

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:31 AM, MarkH2919 said:

that there still might be a chance that the Islanders might still be coming to Hartford. There's no way that they're coming here, upgraded arena or not.

The optics of a **ller house in uniondale would be a better pr look for the NHL. Now i get the biggest hurdles are the facilities under the stands for players and club options for popular owners. But you could easily flex in islander games on the NBC sunday games post football and it would be a great product until belmont opens.

I also hope and pray that the islanders do have fair season ticket pricing at belmont otherwise it will be Little Caesars arena 2.0 as we have seen in Detroit. They can raise the prices for suites and gl***** seats. But those uppers and lower level seats need to be priced fairly for the hard working fans.

I didn't imply anything, Fraudie.  

Fact: The XL hasn't gotten their makeover.  Yet.

Fact: It's not a done deal that the Islanders are going back to Uniondale.  

Fact: The chances of the Islanders playing games in Uniondale increased because Bettman has now seen the renovated facility.

Not one time did I mention Hartford, or did I imply that the Islanders could play here temporarily.  

I did make one mistake...I forgot I have to talk to you like you're 4 so you understand something.  

The question at this point is: which team is going to arrive here first.

The Islanders need a place to play, Hartford is suitable.  Carolina needs a long-term place where they won't be at the bottom of the attendance list anymore and where they won't keep losing money, Hartford is suitable.  There is also Calgary, the Coyotes... the list is fairly long for teams trying to move to Hartford, in addition to the upcoming league increase to 34 teams, there will be a lot of teams floating around.

The Islanders will either play at Barclays or Uniondale until the new arena at Belmont Park is ready.

Carolina isn't going anywhere until at least 2024.

The Coyotes....are still the best bet.

Calgary will stay west.  Maybe they end up in Houston or Portland.