Sign in to follow this  
WhalerCentral

Sportser reporting that Ottawa and Calgary will both be moving

As far back as last spring, the “R” word has been bandied about around Ottawa as the Senators’ ticket-sales struggles have continued to mount. It seemed preposterous that the still relatively young franchise based in the capital city of hockey-crazed Canada could face relocation due to financial difficulties. But late last December, team owner Eugene Melnyk stated bluntly to the media that he’d consider moving the team if the situation “became a disaster.”

That, of course, launched a tidal wave of rumors about exactly how dire the franchise’s lot had become and what city or cities Melnyk might be eyeing if it actually came to that. The most credible rumor is that Melnyk could move the team to Quebec if it has another bad season ticket-wise in 2018-19. And it makes sense, considering the brand-new arena and enthusiastic fanbase already installed in the NHL-experienced city.

Among the worst-kept secrets around the NHL is how badly the league wants (needs) a franchise in Seattle, like, yesterday. They had a perfect plan back in 2015. They would accept expansion applications from Quebec, Seattle and Las Vegas, award teams to the latter two and balance the conferences at 16 apiece while injecting some much-needed rivalries back into the West.

Well, they got half their wish with Vegas, but when Seattle couldn’t get their you-know-what together on an arena deal and failed to submit an expansion application, the league had egg on its face when it accepted Vegas’ but not Quebec’s.

Now, with the planned renovation of Key Arena in downtown Seattle and an expansion application forthcoming, the rumor is that Gary Bettman and his cronies in the league office have basically already given them the green light and are planning their inaugural season for 2020-2021 – if not sooner.

The rumors are out there. Houston is the largest metropolitan area in the U.S. without an NHL team, and the owner of the NBA’s Houston Rockets has reportedly already met with NHL officials about bringing NHL to his city. Plus, with the ever-increasing expansion fee, it’s going to be hard for the league to turn down close to $1 billion. Yup, we’re looking at a 34-team NHL by 2023, folks.

The other side of the expansion argument – and a possible solution to the Quebec City itch that the NHL will eventually have to scratch – is relocation. *****uming the expansion Seattle franchise is in place in the next couple of years and that Quebec (or Houston, for that matter) is still seriously interested in landing a team of its own, relocation of a current franchise would eliminate the need for expanding to 34 teams, and would also protect the league from **rther diluting its talent pool.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on who you are), that solution is a real possibility. With an imp*****e between the Flames and the city of Calgary on a new arena deal and the fact that the team is hemorrhaging money, its majority owner, Murray Edwards, is entertaining the idea of moving out of Alberta for greener pastures or selling altogether.

I hear the Blackhawks, Mapleleafs, and Canadians are moving also!

We should take a poll, which one you want in Hartford!!

Blackhawks for me! Q and Dineen back in Hartford!!

Islanders already have one home, the Barclays Center. They also have a temporary home that they'll be moving into, the N*****au Coliseum. And, they are building their own arena at Belmont Park. They're not moving here, none of these teams are, ever. 

"...relocation of a current franchise would eliminate the need for expanding to 34 teams, and would also protect the league from **rther diluting its talent pool..."

---too late. This league was diluted beyond salvation back in early '90s. Now, with every new team the NHL tumbles **rther and **rther into oblivion.

9 hours ago, lebaron92 said:

"...relocation of a current franchise would eliminate the need for expanding to 34 teams, and would also protect the league from **rther diluting its talent pool..."

---too late. This league was diluted beyond salvation back in early '90s. Now, with every new team the NHL tumbles **rther and **rther into oblivion.

Can you really make that argument? 

Vegas had the choice of the two bottom feeders from every team in the league.  With that said with scraps from other teams they're probably going to make the playoffs and they are contending for a division championship.  I think it couldn't have gone better for the NHL.  Most major expansion teams flounder like the Hurricanes for decades.  And they weren't even an exp team

City doesn't have a financial responsibility to give lifeline to Sens, Mayor Watson says

The City of Ottawa has no financial responsibility to keep an NHL team in the municipality, even if the owner of the Ottawa Senators has mused about relocating the club, Mayor Jim Watson says.

“We should not be using property tax dollars to subsidize an NHL team. That’s not the role of a municipal government, in my opinion,” Watson said on Thursday in his first interview with this newspaper since his recovery from appendicitis.

Watson looked forward to being at the NHL 100 Cl*****ic at Lansdowne Park last month but had to watch the game from his bed in the Queensway Carleton Hospital while eating banana pudding. It was a signature event that he pushed the NHL to hold in the league’s milestone and Canada’s 150th anniversary year.

The night before the game, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk told reporters he would consider moving the franchise if the club’s financial situation worsened.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-doesnt-have-a-financial-responsibility-to-give-lifeline-to-sens-mayor-watson-says

Ottawa is a possibility...but I don't believe their situation is as dire as the situation in Arizona.  Plus...I think the league would try to move them to Quebec City before they moved them to any US market.  We shall see.

Edited by MarkH2919

The NHL doesn't want a team in Quebec City, if the the NHL really wanted to go to QC, they would have approved the expansion, or they would have moved the Coyotes there a few years ago.  The NHL will only put a team in QC as an emergency last resort, the league has already chosen Las Vegas and Seattle ahead of QC.

"The NHL doesn't want a team in Quebec City, if the the NHL really wanted to go to QC, they would have approved the expansion, or they would have moved the Coyotes there a few years ago.  The NHL will only put a team in QC as an emergency last resort, the league has already chosen Las Vegas and Seattle ahead of QC."

For once, I think we agree.  But...this is the first we have heard of Canadian franchises potentially moving...it is possible the league might want to keep one of the teams in Canada, if they end up relocating.

Seattle will get an expansion team, not a relocation.  

Whalevolution: 

My statements are just my opinions, nothing more. That's how I feel. I truly believe the NHL is diluted beyond repair...so many unnecessary teams. I look to TV ratings, sinking attendance records, the the introduction of the salary cap following the 2004- '05 lockout to support the fading star that is the NHL. 

As for Las Vegas' success, I believe the NHL rigged the rules. If I read right the expansion draft for them was much different than previous expansions drafts (...especially when the Whalers joined the NHL). And, they weren't paired up with another city entering the league as most recent new teams did. Meaning they didn't have to compete against another new team in the same year/draft. 

They wanted Vegas to be competitive.  Nobody, probably not even the Knights themselves, saw this coming.  They couldn't have.