Sign in to follow this  
WhalerChad

Looks like Seattle NHL group is considering Whales as team name

My Dad has been consulting with client based out of Los Angeles. Yesterday, he was at a meeting at a law firm there and overheard a conversation that included the words Seattle and NHL and domain and registration. Turns out that this law firm is called Gibson Dunn Crutcher and does work with Oak View Group. Oak View Group is company that is renovating Key Arena in Seattle. Anyway, my Dad says that the people who want to bring NHL to Seattle have registered a bunch of team name domains. Domains are for Seattle Cougars, Seattle Eagles, Seattle Evergreens, Seattle Kraken, Seattle Rainiers, Seattle Renegades, Seattle SeaLions, Seattle Seals, Seattle Sockeyes, Seattle Totems and Seattle Whales. 

If Seattle gets NHL team, it better not be named the Seattle Whales! 

From what I have been hearing over the past month, if Ottawa leaves suddenly and comes directly to Hartford, expect the Whalers to be on the ice here in Hartford BEFORE Seattle even gets serious about bringing a hockey team to the city.

4 hours ago, WhalerChad said:

If Seattle gets NHL team, it better not be named the Seattle Whales! 

Honestly, if this is true, and the NHL is actually considering letting another city use a name like "Whales", it doesn't look good for the Whalers name to return to Hartford if we do get a team.

1 hour ago, TrueHartfordHockeyFan said:

Honestly, if this is true, and the NHL is actually considering letting another city use a name like "Whales", it doesn't look good for the Whalers name to return to Hartford if we do get a team.

NHL isn't considering it.

They just registered domains.  Anyone can register anything at any time with any name 

In 2013 Bridgeport registered the Bridgeport Rangers, we all were sure it meant the Pack was leaving but it didn't happen